Non G Rated Christmas Lights   

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is this supposed to be?

• Bell
    • Chimney
    • Candle and wreaths
    • Phallic Symbol

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

To be clear, are asking the person’s intent or what they have actually made? Because I don’t think those two things match in this case. 

I was thinking what they were intending....

My 15 year old thinks that they were being intentionally phallic.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think the two circles at the base and the pointed end make it intentional. If it wasn’t intentional, they would have made straight lines on the chimney and just done a mass of lights at the base.

I thought the circles were wreaths?  

Just now, hjffkj said:

Phallic symbol.  How could they think it would be seen as anything else

I think once you start making something you never really lose the picture in your mind and see what you have made.

Once I used Torn Tissue papers to make Translucent lower case T’s as a project with my class, in public school.  Then I had to explain to my principal why I sent all my kids home with “stained glass crosses”.  So my guess is this person still thinks it looks like a candle.

The obvious solution is for @Terabith to get a clipboard and thick glasses and knock on their door pretending to be an agent of the government conducting and official survey of residences with Christmas lights that may or may not be phallic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

The obvious solution is for @Terabith to get a clipboard and thick glasses and knock on their door pretending to be an agent of the government conducting and official survey of residences with Christmas lights that may or may not be phallic.

I am NOT doing surveys during a pandemic for the Hive.  Putin's brother already thinks I'm stalking him with all the pictures I take of his monolith.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 13
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I am NOT doing surveys during a pandemic for the Hive.  Putin's brother already thinks I'm stalking him with all the pictures I take of his monolith.  

You know since he’s a spy AND an expert on mysterious Christmas decorations you should consult him.  Go knock on his door. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MoyaPechal said:

Maybe I'm sheltered but I wouldn't have thought it looked like a phallic symbol at all. It doesn't really look like anything in particular to me. If that's what they're going for, they didn't even do a good job. 0/10

I showed it to my husband and he immediately said it looks like a you-know-what. I guess I'm just really sheltered/naïve. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Well, I'm on tramadol right now and I saw a top hat with holly berries at the bottom.   🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I've seen references to this so I know what it was supposed to look like. (Thanks for the pictures @Terabith.)

That said, I thought it looked like a badly decorated top hat.

It's the wrong shape for a bell, chimneys without Santa aren't really a thing, it's not a candle because it has no flame, so . . . 

While we're pondering Christmas decorations, why does my neighbor have a nativity made out of what looks like an immense quantity of tin foil? 

foil nativity.jpg

• Haha 17
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, katilac said:

It's the wrong shape for a bell, chimneys without Santa aren't really a thing, it's not a candle because it has no flame, so . . . 

While we're pondering Christmas decorations, why does my neighbor have a nativity made out of what looks like an immense quantity of tin foil? 

foil nativity.jpg

I think they're just too busy to take their trash to the dump, so this is where they're hiding it.  

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think they're just too busy to take their trash to the dump, so this is where they're hiding it.  

I mean, I do live in an area where old bathtubs are upended and turned into shrines to the Virgin Mary, but I think putting Baby Jesus in a trash nativity would not be seen as properly devout. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

DH is forcing me to watch an Austin Powers Rocket Scene clip on YouTube. The shapes ARE pretty close. I won’t share the link because not safe for kids. 

Use the link insertion thingy  in the menu at the top of new posts (looks like a sideways paper clip), and name it Austin Powers Not Safe for Children or Work 

27 minutes ago, katilac said:

foil nativity.jpg

Are we sure that's supposed to be a barn behind the Holy Family?  It looks more like a tin foil....yurt?  Maybe?  

That's super weird, too.  Plus, those deer are WAY bigger than Joseph.  Dystopian Christmas scene?

11 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I'm going with "candle with bow at bottom."

But really, my first thought was "lol, look at the cat!" 😸

Yeah, the door wasn't open when I first got out my phone to take pictures.  

I ran away before I could get accosted by the home owner or their cat.  

• Like 1

What something is supposed to be, and what it actually looks like can be two different things.  Not everyone thinks things through.  There are many of those types of things on the internet.

Seattle put a trolly in an area they are redeveloping.  Initially they called it the "south lake union trolley". . . . . It wasn't very long before someone came out with "Ride the S.L.U.T." T-shirts.

And seattle city gov't started screaming that wasn't its name . . . . 

Eta: I'm hoping it was unintentional - it does happen.  So does intentional (there was a news story on one particularly hostile neighbor who did a more graphic one -deliberately. )

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

So my 27yo is over and I came into my office and I had her look at it and her reaction was Mom it is something I can't say. I showed her the choices and then she obviously chose number 4.

Terabith, she thinks you have very interesting neighbors

I don't even live in Portland or Austin or anywhere weird like that!

We do have a grilled cheese/ ice cream/ soda fountain parlor run by a man who wears a kilt and plays the bagpipes, though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katilac said:

foil nativity.jpg

Do they think it will work like light reflectors at night?

• Haha 1

Well, to me it looks like they outlined their actual chimney in lights. You put up decorations in the daytime, so the wreaths could be seen, and they didn’t foresee how it would all show up in the dark. To me it doesn’t look phallic enough to be intentional.  If I were just passing by I don’t think I would have noticed anything off.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Emba said:

Well, to me it looks like they outlined their actual chimney in lights. You put up decorations in the daytime, so the wreaths could be seen, and they didn’t foresee how it would all show up in the dark. To me it doesn’t look phallic enough to be intentional. 

This is my guess, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

What something is supposed to be, and what it actually looks like can be two different things.  Not everyone thinks things through.  There are many of those types of things on the internet.

Seattle put a trolly in an area they are redeveloping.  Initially they called it the "south lake union trolley". . . . . It wasn't very long before someone came out with "Ride the S.L.U.T." T-shirts.

And seattle city gov't started screaming that wasn't its name . . . . 

Eta: I'm hoping it was unintentional - it does happen.  So does intentional (there was a news story on one particularly hostile neighbor who did a more graphic one -deliberately. )

Or the BC Ferries' masks are mandatory signs, "The graphic (ahem) design is meant to illustrate the side of a person's head with a mask looped around the ear. But a closer look reveals a striking resemblance to one of the more intimate aspects of the male anatomy."

Edited by wathe
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, katilac said:

3 hours ago, katilac said:

foil nativity.jpg

It kinda looks like they took the foil wrapping off the bbq and turned it into Christmas decorations.  Although that is a lot of foil.

13 minutes ago, wathe said:

Or the BC Ferries' masks are mandatory signs, "The graphic (ahem) design is meant to illustrate the side of a person's head with a mask looped around the ear. But a closer look reveals a striking resemblance to one of the more intimate aspects of the male anatomy."

So, the light might be considered subtle, but I had to look at that for a long time to see anything other than male anatomy.  How did no one catch that?

14 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

That is some spectacularly bad planning 😂

I thought that "See what the initials spell" was a standard item on the Naming Things Checklist. 

14 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Do they think it will work like light reflectors at night?

Maybe? I'll try to walk by in full dark and see if it does. But they have a ton of actual lights, so, 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

My first thought was top hat too. But I could see it going either way...😂

That would never occur to me, because top hats aren't common Christmas decorations around here - I actually don't think I've ever seen one. Old-timey pictures of carolers wearing top hats, yes, but not just a top hat out of lights. 

15 hours ago, Terabith said:

Are we sure that's supposed to be a barn behind the Holy Family?  It looks more like a tin foil....yurt?  Maybe?  

It does look like a tin foil yurt, but why? There has to be some reason. Surely no one creates such a tableaux without realizing its . . . uniqueness.