Menu

If you have stainless steel cookware that you like...

Emba

If you have stainless steel cookware  that you like, tell me about it. What brand, what do you like about it, what do you not like about it.

I’ve used a mishmash of cookware since we got married. Most of it was bought by DH at his great-grandmother’s estate sale, and it is good quality stuff ( and has outlasted, for the most part, the isolated pieces of cookware I bought here and there over the years) but things wear out and it is time for a change.

All Clad is out of my budget, unfortunately, as is anything similarly priced.

Also if you have run across any great deals, feel free to link. 😁

Edited by Emba

My pots and pans are all WMF but they are from two sets for pots and single pieces for skillets/pans. Some are made in China and some are made in Germany. 

My wok is a Zwilling/Demeyere though and is made in Belgium.

All my pots, pans and wok can be used on gas, electric and induction stovetop. 

What I like is that the handles are welded and not bolted/riveted so the cookware is easy to clean up. No need to worry about dirt or soap residue being stuck at the rivet area.

• Like 1

• Emba changed the title to If you have stainless steel cookware that you like...
40 minutes ago, Pen said:

Other than space saving nesting sets, I have preferred individual pieces that meet specific needs. 

Well, maybe my original wording was too restrictive. I’ll probably buy a 7 piece set, since most of them contain equivalent to my most-used pieces, plus a large 12” sauté pan, but I’d like to hear about any stainless steel cookware people have used and like ( not just cookware that comes in sets).  Absolutely all of the cookware I have that I like and would want to buy more of is not made anymore.

5 hours ago, Emba said:

Well, maybe my original wording was too restrictive. I’ll probably buy a 7 piece set, since most of them contain equivalent to my most-used pieces, plus a large 12” sauté pan, but I’d like to hear about any stainless steel cookware people have used and like ( not just cookware that comes in sets).  Absolutely all of the cookware I have that I like and would want to buy more of is not made anymore.

my nesting set is called Magma - it is great for space, has been very durable and with handles off can go in oven as well as stove top  I don’t have the wok shaped pan and none of the pans I have give sloped sides for cooking that needs that (flip side of stack ability).

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I  have this Cuisinart Multiclad-Pro set.  I like that it works with my induction cooktop.  It seems sturdily made although it is lighter my previous cookware.  It heats evenly.    

I did buy a few extra pieces - double boiler, 2 qt. saucepan, a griddle, and a set of two non-stick skillets.  All are also Cuisinart. 

I do not care for the steamer.  I prefer the basket style that sits completely within the saucepan.  This one sits on top.   Otherwise I am satisfied with Cuisinart.  

• Like 1

I use an assorted variety of stainless, enamel, carbon steel and cast iron. They are all induction compatible. I too would love to have an uniform look across the pieces, but, the way I cook makes it impossible to have that 🙂 If you are looking for a matching set, you are better off buying one of the larger sets at Costco or using a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond on a good quality set there. 

About 10 years ago, I bought two sauce pans from the higher end IKEA collection, not the 365.  I have only all-clad and these two IKEA pans. They have been equal to the all-clad. I don't know if what they carry now is just as good, but it may be worth checking. I use them almost daily. They still look good and heat beautifully. The price was definitely lower than all-clad.

• Like 1

Tramontina Gourmet Tri-ply often takes 2nd place (to All Clad) in cookware tests & reviews. For example, the Tramontina Gourmet 12 pc set was second only to All Clad in the America's Test Kitchen review of sets (check it at the 7:45 mark for the summary on Tramontina, but there are views of the pans in use throughout the video). The same set was also the top pick in the 2020 New York Times/Wirecutter review, with All Clad listed as the "upgrade" choice. The Tramontina Gourmet skillet came second (again to All Clad) in the 2020 Epicurious review of best stainless steel skillets, and I know I've seen lots of similar reviews. It's about half the price of All Clad.

ETA: There are several different lines of Tramontina, including at least 2 different "Gourmet Tri-Ply" lines. The less expensive one (sometimes called Gourmet Prime) only has a tri-ply base, it's not fully clad. I'd spend the extra few bucks and get the fully clad version, which is what gets high marks in the tests and reviews.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

I purchased Lagostina Professional Plus about 20 years ago. I think one pan has a small dent in it and part of a plastic bread wrapper melted on the side, but otherwise it's still in great shape. The only drawback is that they don't nest, so they take up a fair amount of space. When our kids were home, I regularly used all but the smallest saucepan and skillet. I'm finding now, though, I'm using the smaller pans since it's usually only dh and I.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by wilrunner
Did you know if you click on the eye when you're typing your post, it comes up with a spoiler alert? I didn't, either, and don't know how to get rid of them!
  • Like 1

Based on a gourmet cooking magazine's tests (these are people who think AC is "tolerable" and their favorite is  Mauviel - and they'll tell you to order it from Paris because even with shipping it's cheaper than Sur La Table.)

- There are some pans that perform similarly to AC (their aluminum core is the same thickness, steel is the same thickness - many triply pans on the market have thinner layers) - without the price tag.   btw: I've picked up many of my AC pieces at TJMaxx/Marshall's (same company).  Ebay, or AC seconds.   beats Sur La Table sale prices.   I prefer the handles and lids on the D5 line.  The cooking performance really is that much better (the first time I made bechamel sauce - I was convinced!) and I had a lot of better quality (the kind sold at cooking stores) anondized calphalon - Which was an improvement over what it replaced, Dh bought some scanpan - which I never liked.  After AC - I got rid of them all.)

metal lids perform better than glass.  glass takes longer to heat - that is time and energy that is NOT being spent cooking your food. the metal also seems to fit more tightly.

Cuisinart makes two lines that are comparable -   French classic (made in france, straight rims), and Multi-clad pro. (made in china, rolled rims)  I have both.  I think FC has been discontinued, but you can still find pieces at good discounts if you look.  (I prefer the dimensions of my 3qt FC over my 3qt AC.)

tramontina makes a comparable triply -but I have no experience with it.

For *some things*, I like cast iron.

all of the above will last for a lifetime (if properly cared for.).  you can buy cast iron used - and since it improves with age (if properly treated) . . . . never use soap on cast iron.  (cast iron absorbs the oil you grease the pan with - making it's non-stick layer.  

eta: I did bookmark the article with the comps - but I don't have time to look for it.  They tested a lot of brands of "triply" - the two cuisinart, and tramontina were the only ones that had the same thickness as the AC.  They did do a test that AC was a clear winner - but most people don't cook in a way they'd notice.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I have a few Cuisinart pans that are great and have lasted. Here's a set: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12N-Multiclad-Stainless-12-Piece/dp/B009JXPS6U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=cuisinart+pan+set&qid=1606466218&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOFQ3N1M3WVJUWUJQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzEwOTc4MkpWWUFYWU4xNVJPSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjM1ODY0MzBZRjhOVk9WU0RaQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I bought a Kirkland SS set several years ago and love them. Unfortunately, they have a new set that can have warping issues for some people. It's different than mine with some design changes and the copper added too. I don't see a steamer insert like I have and that the above Cuisinart set offers. The great thing about Costco though is their return policy is fantastic if you feel like trying but don't love. https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-10-piece-5-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware.product.100515142.html

Edited by IfIOnly

6 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Don’t buy a set.  

I have spent too much money on this stuff and I am embarrassed that I have done so.  

Were I to do it over:

7-ply 10-12” fry pan Demeyre

KitchenAid 2-2.5 quart sauce pad   Two of them.

A 3-4 quart Le Crueset French oven and an 8-9 quart same. 

A 10” Tefal fry pan for eggs. This pan will have to be replaced every  2-3 years.   The rest will not.  

The end.  I would never (again) buy a SET.  I’ve spent too much on sets and on cookware in general. 

Well, everyone has their own personal definition of essential cookware.  I already have a nonstick egg pan, and otherwise, I assure you that what is in most of the 7 piece sets I’m seeing plus a huge sauté pan will replicate what are most used for me.

18 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Scanpan.  I like that it somehow has non heat conductive metal handles and nice thick bases.  I did manage to break one glass lid but otherwise no problems with it at all.

I've been thinking of investing in a piece of Scanpan.  I like to cook with little or no oil and this sounds good for that.  Your post may help me just go for it!

7 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Don’t buy a set.  

I have spent too much money on this stuff and I am embarrassed that I have done so.  

Were I to do it over:

7-ply 10-12” fry pan Demeyre

KitchenAid 2-2.5 quart sauce pad   Two of them.

A 3-4 quart Le Crueset French oven and an 8-9 quart same. 

A 10” Tefal fry pan for eggs. This pan will have to be replaced every  2-3 years.   The rest will not.  

The end.  I would never (again) buy a SET.  I’ve spent too much on sets and on cookware in general. 

This.   I've looked at a lot of sets over the years.  IME: most sets have a few useful pieces, and a lot of pieces that don't get used very much.  It's also why we'll fork out for a really good pan - it should never need to be replaced.  Performance over looks.  I think my first introduction to something better than revere ware was Rena Ware when my mom went to work for them back in the early 70s - she bought a set.  

I received a set once as a gift. some got used, some just took up space.  We buy open stock, and  we buy what we'll actually use.   Some sets didn't even include some of the pans we use all the time.

among other pots - I have several AC 9" skillets  . . they get used frequently.  The only one I expect to need to replace at some point is the one non-stick lined one that other people have been known to use metal tools in. . . . . . .  . . 

I have two AC 4qts - one non-stick for delicate sauces.   

the AC 3qt has the same footprint at the 4qt, just shorter, kinda disappointing and partly why I rarely use it . . .   I prefer the 3qt cuisinart FC.  (narrower, but taller).  If I had more space, I'd probably track down another as it's so darn useful.  

OP: Keep in mind - Cuisinart has several lines - only two are comparable to AC.  I think that's true for the Tramontina as well.  several lines, only one is comparable.

On sale right now:

Anolon Nouvelle Stainless Steel Cookware Pots and Pans Set, 10 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GYUQY0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_.otWFb1Z7H371?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

it is what I have one sauté pan of and love -

I learned right way to use it (very important!) and don’t let anyone else use that one pan 😉 I may get a set while on sale and use part and gift part to my young adult when he sets up own place

• Like 1

I bought a:

4 quart saute pan- All Clad

2- 2 qt All clad sauce pans

2- 2 qt -1 AC and 1 LC (pre-owned off ebay for a steal)

Cuisanart Stockpot- 10 quart maybe- it is bigger than I need most of the time so I use this old 4-6 quart I got from my mom that looks terrible but works for things like soup and popcorn that I use it for

Carbon Steel Wok- from WalMart

sm and medium cast iron

I want a small griddle pan for gf pancakes/french toast etc  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Soror said:

I bought a:

4 quart saute pan- All Clad

2- 2 qt All clad sauce pans

2- 2 qt -1 AC and 1 LC (pre-owned off ebay for a steal)

Cuisanart Stockpot- 10 quart maybe- it is bigger than I need most of the time so I use this old 4-6 quart I got from my mom that looks terrible but works for things like soup and popcorn that I use it for

Carbon Steel Wok- from WalMart

sm and medium cast iron

I want a small griddle pan for gf pancakes/french toast etc  

I love the cast iron for that - dudeling has decided he doesn't like how it cooks, but I prefer them.  Our waffle iron has cast aluminum griddles.  (needs to be oiled, but no non-stick to peel)

For the very first time I cooked with the Tramontina Triple Ply this week.

We’ve been staying at my late-mother’s condo near the beach. She‘d purchased a Triple Ply Set a some years back on my suggestion.

I like it. The fit and finish is nice. It cooks well. The handles are a little less elegantly designed that All Clads, but that’s a small detail. The lids are very similar.

I did manage to make some food stick/scorch, but I think that’s because I’m a clod when it comes to electric ranges—which I have almost never used in my life—so I think I had the burners too hot. The good news was that they cleaned up easily and fine.

Eventually I’d like to try these on familiar gas. 

To start some one off with a basic starter set that one could build on that was value conscious and close to All Clad in quality, these Tramontina Triple Ply seem like a winner to me.

Bill

• Like 1