Menu

How do I get on the politics board?

KungFuPanda

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

'A' sounds are difficult.  My MIL (Texas) used to pronounce my name (to my ears) as 'Larra'.  I pronounce it 'Law-ruh'.  Neither of us is wrong, just using our own accents.  I'll try for a short 'a' in the middle of Nevada, but in my southern English RP accent, mostly A is long ('graph' is 'grahph', 'cast' is 'cahst').

Literally, I nixed the name “Lauren” from our baby name list because it bugs me that some people say it like LOR-in, while to me, it’s LAW-rin. I think it’s a beautiful name, but I nixed any name that was likely to lead to people saying it differently. In the best-world scenario, my SIL then named her dd that, so that was nice. I got to vicariously enjoy hearing the name without the hassle of people saying a way that sounds weird to me. 

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

Literally, I nixed the name “Lauren” from our baby name list because it bugs me that some people say it like LOR-in, while to me, it’s LAW-rin. I think it’s a beautiful name, but I nixed any name that was likely to lead to people saying it differently. In the best-world scenario, my SIL then named her dd that, so that was nice. I got to vicariously enjoy hearing the name without the hassle of people saying a way that sounds weird to me. 

Interestingly the people I know down here say it lor-ENNE.  So yet another variation.  With almost a schwa for the first syllable and all emphasis on the second.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, easypeasy said:

🤣🤣🤣 Just saw the video! YUP! I've been saying it wrong my entire life. Who knew!?! I guess I've never met a person from Nevada to set me straight! 😂 I am a new woman!

(I HAVE heard people say it this way and thought, surely, that they were misinformed... lol)

When I met DH (from CA), I had relearn this too. 

Should I bring up Oregon? I had that wrong as well, lol! The problem with Oregon is which syllable to accent. 

I am from a part of PA that speaks more like my DH from CA does, but the US has lot of different northeast and mid-Atlantic accents, and they vary inside the same state at times. My brother and his wife had to hash out a list of pronunciations they could agree on for their kids, lol!!!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kbutton said:

When I met DH (from CA), I had relearn this too. 

Should I bring up Oregon? I had that wrong as well, lol! The problem with Oregon is which syllable to accent. 

I am from a part of PA that speaks more like my DH from CA does, but the US has lot of different northeast and mid-Atlantic accents, and they vary inside the same state at times. My brother and his wife had to hash out a list of pronunciations they could agree on for their kids, lol!!!  

🤦‍♀️ oh no!  How do you say Oregon???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

Say the first a in Nevada like you said a in cat on your recording. 

The o in Florida is close to the au in your name but a single, quicker sound. Might be like the o in your last name?  

I think it both follows Spanish o and r controlled vowel sound for English — including the word “for”. 

Thanks. That gives me a good idea. The o in Corin is actually short. It's a family surname but not my own. 

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Add Florida to the list of things I’ve been saying wrong in my head.  The only thing is I suspect if I say Nevada or Florida correctly here everyone will think I’m either saying them incorrectly or putting on a fake American accent.

I don’t think one needs to assume an American accent to say American place name, but correct syllable accented and basically correct form of vowel helps.  

You may be saying the state names closer to what local people say than someone in North eastern US may say it.

Oregon is another. People I know from Northeast US tend to say Or ee gahn (drawn out long ee in middle and last o like a in British word can’t and more accent on last syllable ) .  Here it is Or’-schwa-gun

@Laura Corin

Froom like broom 

And ? Maybe Anne’s truth er 

probably not truth but more to rhyme with smoothe 

what is correct

eta - I looked it up - apparently I was correct about Frome, but not about especially the middle part of Anstruther. 

Edited by Pen

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

So if Nevadans (Nevadians?) can get up in arms over people mispronouncing their state can Floridians do the same? It's especially an issue with people from the Northeast U.S. who call it Flah-rida (as in fa la la). The correct pronunciation is Floor-ida. Flora as in the Spanish pronunciation though we don't pronounce the i the way they would. 😄 

Various family members in the Midwest still pronounce Oregon incorrectly, and we’ve lived here over 20 years. Then again most still can’t wrap their head around the fact that I didn’t change my last name when I got married over 30 years ago, so I’m pretty used to my state being mispronounced and the wrong name appearing on cards and letters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m curious to know if you say the words florid and oregano in a similar way to the state names or differently.  

Yes for florid

no for oregano 

accent is on the initial Or for the state, whereas for the spice I accent the reg part and it is a clear short e in oregano, but just a Schwa in Oregon 

1 minute ago, Pen said:

Yes for florid

no for oregano 

accent is on the initial Or for the state, whereas for the spice I accent the reg part and it is a clear short e in oregano, but just a Schwa in Oregon 

Lol I thought that would help me but on oregano I accent the Gahn 

I give up!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m curious to know if you say the words florid and oregano in a similar way to the state names or differently.  

Florid/Florida the same, Oregon/oregano differently, but it’s not the first vowel that’s different, it’s the second and third.  Watching British cooking shows we laugh at Oregon-O.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

@Laura Corin

Froom like broom 

And ? Maybe Anne’s truth er 

probably not truth but more to rhyme with smoothe 

what is correct

eta - I looked it up - apparently I was correct about Frome, but not about especially the middle part of Anstruther. 

Frome like broom, yes. Anstruther is traditionally pronounced AIN- stuhr.

20 minutes ago, Btervet said:

Do you all say the "i" in Florida? I grew up in Georgia, and we say FLOOR-DUH, with no 'i' sound in between.

I'm baffled at the Laura discussion. I've always said and heard Lor-uh, and I've lived all over the east coast.

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yes, you say the "i" in Florida. Absolutely. Flor as in "floor", then short i as in "icky" and "uh". 

Yes. This ^^

27 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yes, you say the "i" in Florida. Absolutely. Flor as in "floor", then short i as in "icky" and "uh". 

So do you say it with 3 syllables? Floor - ih - dah?

This is so crazy to me, but maybe it's my Southern accents proclivity for losing syllables. Living in both GA and southern MS (near Biloxi) and I've only ever heard two syllables with no i sound. Learn something new every day I guess.

Edited by Btervet

44 minutes ago, Btervet said:

Do you all say the "i" in Florida? I grew up in Georgia, and we say FLOOR-DUH, with no 'i' sound in between.

I'm baffled at the Laura discussion. I've always said and heard Lor-uh, and I've lived all over the east coast.

Yes, 3 syllables including the short i 

That brings up another question- if people in a state drop syllables for local names should outsiders do the same?

for example a friend of mine from Louisiana says her state name with ~ 1.5 fewer syllables than I do. It’s her state though, so is her way correct?

23 minutes ago, Pen said:

That brings up another question- if people in a state drop syllables for local names should outsiders do the same?

for example a friend of mine from Louisiana says her state name with ~ 1.5 fewer syllables than I do. It’s her state though, so is her way correct?

Well, I guess we should let the locals decide, even if they've massacred what the original settlers called it. For example, 'nevada' - which is Spanish for 'snowy' - should absolutely be pronounced as ne-vah-da if we were going with that, but apparently the locals get to override, even if my east coast ears think it sounds awful. Florida is three syllables both in Spanish and how I pronounce it (correctly according to Floridians above - whew!) but of course in Spanish it would have been Floor-EE-dah - I don't think anyone's using that in English. 😉

I know there's a French named city in - Minnesota? Wisconsin? That has become irretrievably Americanized so any French speaker has to plug their ears. Here in the Northeast our names are funny mostly because we've mostly retained the weirdo original Brit pronunciations rather than tossing them. 

I'm still not sure why Missouri is Miz-zor-ah instead of -ee, but okay.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pen said:

Well, I guess we should let the locals decide, even if they've massacred what the original settlers called it. For example, 'nevada' - which is Spanish for 'snowy' - should absolutely be pronounced as ne-vah-da if we were going with that, but apparently the locals get to override, even if my east coast ears think it sounds awful. Florida is three syllables both in Spanish and how I pronounce it (correctly according to Floridians above - whew!) but of course in Spanish it would have been Floor-EE-dah - I don't think anyone's using that in English. 😉

I know there's a French named city in - Minnesota? Wisconsin? That has become irretrievably Americanized so any French speaker has to plug their ears. Here in the Northeast our names are funny mostly because we've mostly retained the weirdo original Brit pronunciations rather than tossing them. 

I'm still not sure why Missouri is Miz-zor-ah instead of -ee, but okay.

Edited by Matryoshka

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Follow up question: How do I get BACK to the politics “club?” I joined, but I don’t know how to get there.  I’m not seeing it under social groups. I need a map. 

I basically just look under new activity find a post there and navigate that way because I’ve never figured it out.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I basically just look under new activity find a post there and navigate that way because I’ve never figured it out.

Thanks for the link.  I'm now seeing a "clubs" tab on my computer screen that I'm not sure exists on my phone.  

• Like 2