Menu

That was weird

klmama

I ran into an old friend today.  We were indoors, and both of us were masked.  We immediately hugged and started talking, and distancing didn't even cross my mind until about 10 minutes into our conversation.   I'm perplexed at myself.  I always distance.  And today I didn't distance.  No good reason, except that I didn't think of it.  Very weird.  Has that happened to you?

Edited by klmama
Except, not expect
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

I can totally understand this. I’m finding myself lately in a hurry and forgetting until I’m at the door of a store that I need a mask. We are far enough into the pandemic that the novelty of it has worn off. I find myself forgetting that’s it’s even a thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

I can totally understand this. I’m finding myself lately in a hurry and forgetting until I’m at the door of a store that I need a mask. We are far enough into the pandemic that the novelty of it has worn off. I find myself forgetting that’s it’s even a thing. 

Yes!  That's happened several times lately.  I realize I'm not wearing it when people give me odd looks,  and then I have to go back to the car for it.  

• Like 1

Not that, specifically but, yes, I regularly find myself “flaking” on one thing or another.

Yesterday, I had to go to the mechanic. I knew that it was going to be a pain because I’ve been there several times during this pandemic. 😠 (Mostly basic stuff, thank goodness, but they are not 100% COVID compliant.). I was almost all of the way home when I realized I hadn’t used hand sanitizer or wiped down my interior surfaces after being in a waiting room (only because it was raining) and people driving my vehicle.  I just hopped in and left, and then drove the last mile or two with a rock in the pit of my stomach.

I think some of my brain glitches are because I’m not out on a regular basis and don’t have a set routine for precautions. I could easily see myself unexpectedly running into a friend and not remembering the “right” things to do because I almost never run into a friend.

• Like 1

I've had this happen a few times throughout the pandemic.  I've decided that it happens for me, especially when the other person is someone I don't see often or the situation is one I wasn't expecting.  Also, the few times it's happened to me, I've noticed that the other person is someone who is not concerned about Covid.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, klmama said:

I ran into an old friend today.  We were indoors, and both of us were masked.  We immediately hugged and started talking, and distancing didn't even cross my mind until about 10 minutes into our conversation.   I'm perplexed at myself.  I always distance.  And today I didn't distance.  No good reason, except that I didn't think of it.  Very weird.  Has that happened to you?

Yes.   In fact, I agree with Liz/Ca - we've gone through life without practicing these measures.   They  are still relatively new.  Once in a while I'll start to go in to a store w/o a mask.  I just forget it.  I'm about the mission lol!

When masking first started I went in to Dillards.  Got all the way in the store and stopped in the show dept where I immediately stopped, turned around and............yes, went back to car to get mask.  OY!

• Like 1

New habits are hard!

I mask and unmask only in the car.  That's been a helpful strategy for never forgetting.  Plus I'm prepared for passing people on the way through the parking lot.  I recommend it!

For distancing I have literally practiced placing my hands forward and stepping back and saying "too close".  It helps me to have another physical thing planned if someone comes close.  Right now, I want my automatic response to be space not returning a hug or elbow bump or whatever.  If I know I'm seeing someone I mutter " don't hug, don't hug" so I remember!

New habits are hard!

Dd14 goes to brick and mortar high school. When they arrive in the morning they're required to enter one building masked, get their temperature taken, and then they're cleared to walk across campus and enter the main academic building. 

One day we were running late and she ran into the first building without her mask, got temp taken by the nurse, met up with a friend and walked across campus, then inside the academic building and up the stairs before realizing she wasn't masked! We totally cracked up about it. It's one thing that she forgot her mask in the rush but the fact that nobody, including the nurse, noticed and called her out on it just seemed so funny. I guess we're past the stage when it's all brand new and we're super conscious of masking and distancing, and now glimpses of our old selves burst forth now and then. 

A minor surprise for me the other day was realizing I was driving with my mask on after grocery shopping, and almost home before I realized I could take it off. It seemed so bizarre because I literally tear the stupid thing off, typically, as soon as I get in the car. Am I getting used to breathing through triple layers of cloth???

• Like 2

Yes.  I have both hugged and shaken hands before awkwardly backing up and apologizing.  It is so nice to see people we haven't seen in awhile and Covid precautions don't come naturally to me. at. all.  Well, the hand washing does 😂 just not the masking and social distancing.  

We live in OK and our power was out a couple of days ago so I quickly drove to the nearest store to purchase a lighter and fire starter log.  It was below freezing and we haven't yet ordered our firewood for the year. All of our wood was wet and from a recently fallen tree, not the best for starting a cozy fire. I actually ran into the store without a mask, looked around embarrassingly, and ran back to my van.  I always keep a clean mask in my van and one in a bag in my purse.  With the urgency of the power outage and freezing temps I just forgot.  The one I keep in my van was worn so it was in the laundry and I only took my wallet not my purse.  Defeated I returned home with no fire starter log or lighter.  How could one forget a mask right now!?  😂

The kids and I went to the Halloween store a while ago.  We were browsing MDD ran up to me a couple of times asking for various things etc.  Than she ran up to some haunted mirror and realized she wasn't wearing a mask.  Somehow in all that time it never computed she wasn't wearing a mask.  It's weird how stuff like that happens. 

I always mask. It's mandated in my county but the county I'm right on the line next to doesn't so even when I shop there I still wear a mask. Several times lately I've gotten out of my car without a mask. Thankfully I remember before I walk in but it blows my mind every time that I forgot. It seems the longer this last the more we fall back into old habits instead of making the new ones our default actions.

We were eating at a restaurant a few weeks ago. Younger DD and I went to the bathroom and when we got back to the table, I realized we'd forgotten to re-mask for the walk to restroom and back. 😱  Younger DD said she realized halfway back to the table, panicked, and walked the remaining distance with her hand over her nose/mouth.