Menu

Okay. I’m crying uncle.

Terabith

I haven’t been feeling great for a few days, but I’m giving up.  I’m sick.  I feel crappy.  Watching tv makes my head hurt more.  Reading has very little appeal.  Food has almost none.  Mostly what I want to do is sleep, but I’m having trouble doing so.  I can’t get warm no matter how many blankets I use.  What do you guys do when you feel lousy and everything sounds awful? Would staying in bed be self indulgent?

• Sad 16

Also just in case you need some extra encouragement last week I had some kind of bug.  I actually went to bed and rested and was fully fully better within three days instead of it taking a week or two.  Might have been all the extra supplements or just a mild bug.  But I’m sure the rest helped.

• Like 5

Goodness, Terabith, of course you should be in bed! If you can't get warm, it's probably because you have a fever. Take some ibuprofen, get in some comfy pj's, set up your nightstand with water and whatever else you might want, and stay in bed today! No guilt! Dr. HIve's orders.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Goodness, Terabith, of course you should be in bed! If you can't get warm, it's probably because you have a fever. Take some ibuprofen, get in some comfy pj's, set up your nightstand with water and whatever else you might want, and stay in bed today! No guilt! Dr. HIve's orders.

This!

I hope you feel better very soon. 

Edited by Ditto

Have stayed in bed all day.  Feel a lot better.  Got up to do some minor stuff and started feeling crappy again, so I guess I’ll keep resting and taking my vitamins.  This does seem to be more along the lines of small bug/ bad cold than flu or anything major though.   

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Doing the best thing for your body is not "self-indulgent". I'm sure you're only asking that because you're so sick. It's not like you're washing in wine and eating bonbons while your children starve. You're taking care of yourself!

Well, I'm not SO sick.  I'm just annoyingly, whiningly sick.  I am well enough that I could get up and do whatever needs doing.  I just feel a lot better not doing so.  

Glad to hear staying in bed helped. That's absolutely what you need!

With what you describe I'd take a hot shower, get in my warmest pj's plus layers and socks, make hot herbal tea, bring the heating pad to bed with me with extra blankies, and stay there as long as I could sleep or comfortably rest. Get up for bathroom, meals, or whenever energy or antsiness required me to move.

Ask dh or teens to bring me hot soup or smoothies and prep simple meals for the rest of the fam. Citrus, hibiscus tea, vitamin C, Cold-Eeze or other zinc supplements.

• Like 3

Just now, Terabith said:

I am well enough that I could get up and do whatever needs doing.  I just feel a lot better not doing so.  

That's your answer, then. Rest and recuperate.

You don't need to earn the right to take care of yourself by being on your deathbed first--the whole idea is to prevent more serious symptoms and if rest is making you feel better, then have at it!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Well, I'm not SO sick.  I'm just annoyingly, whiningly sick.  I am well enough that I could get up and do whatever needs doing.  I just feel a lot better not doing so.  

That's more than sick enough. Nobody likes a martyr, so why make yourself one?

4 hours ago, bethben said:

Warm bath.  Getting out is bad because you get the shivers, but it feels good when you’re achy and cold.

With epsom salts of course to help draw it out of your system and maybe some essential oil as well!

Feel better soon, and yes, it is more than ok to take care of yourself!

I think your response (feeling guilty that you feel crummy) is additional reinforcement that you are sick enough to stay in bed. No one should feel ashamed for staying in bed & taking care of themselves unless they purposefully, intentionally made themselves sick in order to get out of doing something. (And even then, they still should stay in bed!)

Dr. Hive has already prescribed staying in bed & taking care of yourself. As Dr. Hive's assistant, I suggest you continue following those orders until Friday, checking in at least once a day. Dr. Hive will recheck you on Friday.

If you over do it, you might be in bed until next week at this time!! 

Edited by RootAnn
Autocorrect
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Covid test negative.  Embarrassed and ashamed that I still don’t feel entirely well.  On the verge of tears because I should be fine, and I feel guilty and ashamed for getting sick, but I just still feel tired and crummy.  

Do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT feel embarrassed that you're sick!! COVID is not the only illness you're "allowed" to feel cruddy with. 

• Like 2

Yeah.  I kinda want to read and watch tv, but honestly, it all pretty much makes my head hurt and makes me feel queasy.  So I feel like I can’t even take advantage of the opportunity.  

And yes, I know this is stupid and probably more evidence that I should rest.  It’s hard to tell if I’m sick or depressed or both.  And I’m frustrated that I can’t get warm.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh, sorry you are still feeling so bad.  I think it is a lot harder getting sick now.  The stress of worrying if it is covid and then just another bad thing at a hard emotional time.  Sending some gentle hugs.

Yeah, and this is my bad ptsd time of year.  Most years, I do a stint at day treatment in October in hopes of avoiding inpatient psych, but pandemic makes me reluctant to do that.  

• Sad 3