Menu

So, If you had to bring a college student home with COVID...

easypeasy

34 minutes ago, SKL said:

I am curious what most parents do / would do if their college student developed any other uncomfortable illness while in school?  I think it would be unusual for parents to take young adults home for that, but maybe I'm old-fashioned.

I guess it's natural to wish to be there for your sick kid, but I also think this is a normal part of growing up / having your kid grow up, Covid or no Covid.

My oldest daughter did become *quite* ill while at college two of her four years (hello pneumonia and a really bad case of the flu! She dropped 15-20 lbs both times...). It was awful. But both illnesses were known and treatable. I had complete faith in the tried and trusted remedies prescribed to her by her doctors. I spent a LOT of time on the phone with her and had many deliveries made to her. If I felt differently about her treatment, you betcha I'd be by her side.

My mom brought me back home when I was very ill several years ago - this is when I was a wife and mother. It was easier to care for me and the kids at her house, so she packed us up and away we went! My mother went to stay with her mother years ago when she was ill. My cousin brought her sister to her house to recover when she was ill earlier this year.... etc etc etc.  Is this truly a perplexing concept? I don't see it as a "growing up" thing at ALL! I just see it as family helping each other out when times are tough! 🙂 Must just be a difference in family structure miscommunication!  🙂 

Covid just isn't comparable, imho. Too many unknown factors and things can change on a dime. 

with all that said - yeah. I'll leave her at school if this time comes and dh and I will drive up and stay in an air bnb if things seem to be getting bad for her. it's the smart thing to do especially since I do consider her to be in a place where we can get good treatment for her (she's in a state with a better death/recovery rate than our own state which is probably the biggest motivation for me to just leave her there!! DH reminded me of this this morning 👍😊)

/end of convo for me 😊💛✌️

• Like 4

Hopefully she won’t catch it, but at least now you’ve thought it through and have a plan you can live with.

Your family culture of caring for each other is wonderful.  We have something similar (like the story I shared earlier), and there’s almost always someone being cared for by family.  Covid does make it trickier, though.

ETA: we’ve had to think about it wrt adult son who lives in a hot spot, and isn’t careful.  We can’t risk the five high risk people who live here, so would do the hotel nearby option.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Give me an everloving break.

OP, I totally get it. My daughter is 14 hours away and I'd be going to her hell or high water. But I am pretty low risk. My husband would go with me as well and he's a doctor.  The problem is that they can go from do symptoms to almost dying in no time. No way am I staying here and having her die with me this far away. Period.  And I don't care what the Hive thinks. You can go to hell.

ITA. But this is just another case of people having to do what is right for their family and not what some random person on the internet tells them to do. There is no way on this earth that I would allow my daughter, with her underlying conditions and her known anxiety and panic attacks to weather something like this in isolation. But not every parent feels that way. And they have every right to do what they think is best for themselves and their children. But so do I, and so do you, and so does the OP. 

I hate, hate, hate the way this whole thing has become so effing polarized that people feel like they have to provide some sort of iron-clad defense for doing what they believe is right. Stop whomping on people for wanting to protect and comfort their kids, already!  Can we please have that emoji who beat his head against the brick wall? And can we have him back in a really large version, like the day the emojis went supersized? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happymomof1 said:

OP, I totally get it. My daughter is 14 hours away and I'd be going to her hell or high water. But I am pretty low risk. My husband would go with me as well and he's a doctor.  The problem is that they can go from do symptoms to almost dying in no time. No way am I staying here and having her die with me this far away. Period.  And I don't care what the Hive thinks. You can go to hell.

Wow - ok then.  No one is saying don't make accommodations.  I think each family needs to balance their own risk level, the risk level of each person in the house, the risk of exposing innocent 3rd parties during a long transfer/moving to a new place which I think many people aren't taking seriously enough, the temperament of the young adult, your finances and ability to take action quickly, etc.  I'm guessing it is pretty easy as a low risk parent of a one young adult and the financial privilege of having a doctor in your house to say you'd go.  However, I wouldn't judge anyone else so quickly who might have to make a more difficult choice for their situation.  No one is trying to stop you from making your own choice.  

I personally think a much more prudent option for someone like the OP is the rental plan to SIP with your sick student for a minimum of 2 weeks if they felt they needed to be there.  I might have a go bin ready for that with food staples, a couple air purifiers, etc etc etc

I have a kid 4+ hours away.  Honestly, we do not have a  clear plan if he tests positive.  But given we can be there in less than half a day and could run him back if needed in a single shot with no stops, we feel comfortable with that for now.   Not to mention he is blocks from a world class hospital where he lives on campus.   I can also imagine a scenario where one of us would go and stay near by on call with multiple check ins per day.    I think he would be fine isolating on his own.  But with young adults, sometimes you don't know how they will react to a new situation like that until they get in that situation.   Over 2000 kids have tested positive on my kid's campus (and yes that is awful, but there are 40,000+ students) so I've read a lot of anecdotal tales.   Some of the parents of the covid+ kids on my kid's university parent page report their kids had a grand time in the covid dorm and were barely sick.  Some other kids lost it immediately in quarantine and went home and won't be returning this semester at all.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

This assumes that the person wants to be cared for like that OP. 

Well, I mean... Yes... obviously? 

no one is suggesting going in guns a'blazin and forcing someone to receive care against their will?

So... yes. 

And - in the same post you quoted I said she'll stay put. People frequently talk things through here in Hiveland. 😂 I wouldn't be the first. 

But if she needs me - I am gone like the wind. Believe me, I know each state's status between she and me. All's good. 

I'm not living in a world where other people are free to take vacations if they want to, but I have to stay put several states away from my DAUGHTER if she needs me 

She IS being very careful. I am being very careful. More so than pretty much anyone else we know of. 

✌️➡️

Edited by easypeasy
Double post
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Ouch. 

No one forced @easypeasy to ask the Hive for comments and advice.  

And no one is forcing you to read anything posted here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

I'm blocking you. You are hateful. Period. Hell, I would go to the side of the road and piss in the grass. Doesn't matter, we would take our RV so that isn't an issue.  JUST STOP JUDGING HER.

Just a tiny bit off topic here, but we have one of these setups (not this exact setup, but the same idea) and a privacy curtain for our vehicle, just in case someone (ok, the old woman whose bladder just doesn’t make long road trips the way it did when I- uh, she was 20) has to go while on the road.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Bucket-Emergency-Toilet-Seat-Cover-with-Toilet-Liners-Included/442445384

(edited because the amazon link I attached was a ton of stuff, and we basically have just a lid and a bucket.)

Edited by I talk to the trees

41 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

If your adult child drives, then she is in much greater danger doing that than she will be if she catches Covid (assuming she isn't in a high risk of death category, in which case you probably would not have sent her).

I think some Americans are confused about how serious this illness actually is in otherwise healthy, college-aged people.

I think it would be a good idea for some of us to work on how we react to risk / uncertainty.  It can't be healthy to be that scared of something that probably won't hurt our kids.

• Like 1

Just now, Dreamergal said:

Yes I am going to judge you if you think only of yourself and put others at a risk. I am going to judge you if you think you are the only parents (TM) who want to comfort your child in distress and others want to but cannot because this disease will never go away because of selfish actions. I am tired of being nice and non-judgmental if your actions put others who did not choose to come into contact with you and get the disease.

In a world in which a horrible disease is stalking us and where celebrating a wedding can cause 7 unrelated people to die because of super spreader issues, I would rather be considered judgmental and hateful and be blocked because I cannot live with myself if my actions caused someone to become ill or die who just happened to come in contact with me. People are judgmental and "hateful" towards people who put others at risk. Just ask the officiant in Maine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-maine-wedding-7-deaths-officiant-rev-todd-bell/

Dreamergal - I am just about the least selfish person you could ever hope to meet in twenty lifetimes. So you can just start a thread of your own about selfish people taking totally selfish risks and being indulgent and step off my back. 

Good god. Enough already.

AirBNB on Covid:

“During the COVID-19 pandemic, we expect that hosts and guests will have questions about responsible travel. Therefore, we’ve developed a set of guidelines to clarify Airbnb’s approach to travel during this time:

• It is Airbnb’s policy that you (and all other members of our community) should not check into a listing as a guest or have in-person interactions with guests or listings as a host, if any of the following are true:
    • You are actively infected or have tested positive with COVID-19 in the past 30 days
    • You suspect you are sick or have been exposed and are awaiting test results to confirm or deny a diagnosis of COVID-19
    • You are showing symptoms or are concerned about possible infection of COVID-19
    • You’ve had close, sustained contact to an individual confirmed or suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the last 14 days (Please note that Frontline stays are subject to different standards)
  • Whether you are a host or a guest, always check government travel advisories as well as local regulations in place in order to understand how a shelter-in-place or stay at home order may impact your ability to travel or to host
  • If you are a healthcare staff or a first responder looking for temporary accommodation while you support COVID-19 response efforts, please refer to our Frontline stays program

Airbnb will investigate reports of violations specific to this guidance and may take steps in order to protect the health and safety of the community up to and including removal of an Airbnb account.”

• Like 1

FTR I don't agree with the namecalling ("selfish") either.  A mom is trying to weigh options should someone get sick.  There are considerations, one of them being risk to others.  But many Americans are having to take those risks every day for many good reasons.  It isn't selfish to go to a public toilet in a mask.

I do think this Covid stuff has made us all a little ... well ... not ourselves.  I think everyone posting here is a good person who just has a different perspective than everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

ITA. But this is just another case of people having to do what is right for their family and not what some random person on the internet tells them to do. There is no way on this earth that I would allow my daughter, with her underlying conditions and her known anxiety and panic attacks to weather something like this in isolation

When it comes to PUBLIC health the ability to make decisions just about one's own family is gone. The greater public is also part of the equation. 

And sympathetically, if that is the case, from a public health standpoint she should not be on campus in the first place, if unable to stay there and unable to travel home in a quick, safe manner. 

The OP's daughter does NOT have preexisting conditions, and lives 12 hours away. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

If I were the owner of the Airbnb or VRBO, and you had not received my agreement to this option, and you brought a COVID-infected person into my unit/house, I would give you a terrible renter review. You could make it so they couldn't rent their place for a couple of weeks after you left, if you brought your daughter there. You could open yourself up to lawsuit and/or banning by Airbnb/VRBO.

It's totally understandable that you want to be near, that you can't stand the thought of her being ill without you nearby...but I have to agree with SKL  upthread about "part of growing up"--and we have to think of other people, too.  

I sound so harsh--this is a really sucky situation and I do feel bad for you.  This stupid pandemic has broken so many things...

AFAIK it is against Airbnb policy- see above - not at the whim of an individual host.

It looks like it would be okay for a well parent to stay in one to be nearer a sick child. But not for the sick child to set foot in the facility.  And not okay for the parent if s/he has close contact with the sick child. 

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

It isn't selfish to go to a public toilet in a mask.

It is if you have a known case, or known recent prolonged exposure in a confined space. 

You are required to quarantine if that happens. Not use public toilets. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think some Americans are confused about how serious this illness actually is in otherwise healthy, college-aged people.

I think it would be a good idea for some of us to work on how we react to risk / uncertainty.  It can't be healthy to be that scared of something that probably won't hurt our kids.

Implying that the OP is mentally disturbed or incapable of assessing risk is unhelpful. Some people prepare for natural disasters like hurricanes or blizzards by having generators, extra food, and other emergency supplies on hand. We hope that we will not need these things, and most seasons, we (thankfully) don’t. Do you believe that those of us who prepare for the uncertainty of natural disasters are confused and mentally unhealthy because that storm probably won't hit us? Or do you think it’s prudent to be prepared with supplies and a plan of action in case it does hit?

I prefer to be prepared and not drown or freeze or starve. 

I’m glad you are confident that you and yours will have no ill effects from this disease. But here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about long term effects, even in young people. Noting their uncertainty makes me very curious where your certainty comes from. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

Edited by I talk to the trees
Extra article
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After posting about the air bnb I already realized that wouldn't work, guys. 🙄 

The RV would work and I have a friend who lives near DDS school where I could even park and stay. 
(ON her property - which is enormous - don't dare insult many insinuating I'm putting my dear friend in any danger...)

Not selfish (omg). Just sorting things out. 

Sweet baby Jesus  

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

It is if you have a known case, or known recent prolonged exposure in a confined space. 

You are required to isolate if that happens. Not use public toilets. 

That doesn't make sense if you're on the road traveling.  You have to use the toilet.

It has been pretty much determined that short-term / distant exposure, such as what would happen if a person went into a restroom, did their business, and left, is not likely to spread Covid.

I am not in favor of the travel more because it would be hard on the sick person to have to do all that.  Risk to others is a consideration, but IMO it is not conclusive enough to decide the matter on its own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Implying that the OP is mentally disturbed or incapable of assessing risk is unhelpful. Some people prepare for natural disasters like hurricanes or blizzards by having generators, extra food, and other emergency supplies on hand. We hope that we will not need these things, and most seasons, we (thankfully) don’t. Do you believe that those of us with that those of us who prepare for the uncertainty of natural disasters are confused and mentally unhealthy because that storm probably won't hit us? Or do you think it’s prudent to be prepared with a supplies and a plan of action in case it does hit?

I prefer to be prepared and not drown or freeze or starve. 

I’m glad you are confident that you and yours will have no ill effects from this disease. But here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about long term effects, even in young people. Noting their uncertainty makes me very curious where your certainty comes from. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

I wasn't referring to the OP and I never accused anyone of being mentally disturbed.  I do stand by my opinion that many people are not assessing Covid risk rationally.  Not just here but elsewhere.  And it goes both ways.

1 minute ago, easypeasy said:

The RV would work and I have a friend who lives near DDS school where I could even park and stay. 

Sweet baby Jesus  

I can see that, and I don't think it's selfish at all to consider your options.  I kind of thought you were bouncing ideas around.

It's cool that you have a spot to park your rv free of charge near her school!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SKL said:

I wasn't referring to the OP and I never accused anyone of being mentally disturbed.  I do stand by my opinion that many people are not assessing Covid risk rationally.  Not just here but elsewhere.  And it goes both ways.

You haven't, but several have and it's insulting and hurtful and counter-productive. 

• Like 2

Just now, DoraBora said:

I can see that, and I don't think it's selfish at all to consider your options.  I kind of thought you were bouncing ideas around.

It's cool that you have a spot to park your rv free of charge near her school!

YES! That's all this was. Talking it out to find holes in the tentative, gut-reaction plan. 

8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

When it comes to PUBLIC health the ability to make decisions just about one's own family is gone. The greater public is also part of the equation. 

And sympathetically, if that is the case, from a public health standpoint she should not be on campus in the first place, if unable to stay there and unable to travel home in a quick, safe manner. 

The OP's daughter does NOT have preexisting conditions, and lives 12 hours away. 

Nothing to do with the op, but yes, my dd is at home, working remotely. And the only public place I would ever think of stopping on a trip would be to make a potty break. See my post above for our solution to that, as I am not comfortable at all being in a public restroom right now.  Not that I am going anywhere. We have been shielding since March. In addition to dd and myself having preexisting conditions, I am an only who is responsible for my seventy something parents with a list of preexisting conditions as long as your arm, so we are members of camp Be Super Careful.

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

FTR I don't agree with the namecalling ("selfish") either.  A mom is trying to weigh options should someone get sick.  There are considerations, one of them being risk to others.  But many Americans are having to take those risks every day for many good reasons.  It isn't selfish to go to a public toilet in a mask.

I do think this Covid stuff has made us all a little ... well ... not ourselves.  I think everyone posting here is a good person who just has a different perspective than everyone else.

Afaik, With certain exceptions such as frontline HCW, people who are known to be Covid positive are supposed to be in isolation

And people exposed to them - which would include a parent on a long car ride - are supposed to be in quarantine . Not going out to public locations.  

“college student” is not a special  category legally to justify causing risks to others. 

Additionally, as you said before, most are personally fairly low risk themselves.   Most will probably get over illness without dying. Parental catastrophic thinking about death is probably not in keeping with statistical likelihood.  Yes, some young adults have certainly died of it. But it is unlikely. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

(ON her property - which is enormous - don't dare insult many insinuating I'm putting my dear friend in any danger...)

Sweet baby Jesus  

I think that is much more reasonable. 

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

That doesn't make sense if you're on the road traveling.  You have to use the toilet.

It has been pretty much determined that short-term / distant exposure, such as what would happen if a person went into a restroom, did their business, and left, is not likely to spread Covid.

I am not in favor of the travel more because it would be hard on the sick person to have to do all that.  Risk to others is a consideration, but IMO it is not conclusive enough to decide the matter on its own.

But that's the point - if you are supposed to be isolating, you are not supposed to be on the road traveling. you are supposed to stay in place. 

As for restrooms, no it has not been determined yet - mostly because they are still studying the spread via feces, which can be aerosolized via toilets flushing. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

Sweet baby Jesus  

Staying nearby to her in your own RV sounds to me like a good emergency plan if one is needed. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

Afaik, With certain exceptions such as frontline HCW, people who are known to be Covid positive are supposed to be in isolation

And people exposed to them - which would include a parent on a long car ride - are supposed to be in quarantine . Not going out to public locations.  

“college student” is not a special  category legally to justify causing risks to others. 

Additionally, as you said before, most are personally fairly low risk themselves.   Most will probably get over illness without dying. Parental catastrophic thinking about death is probably not in keeping with statistical likelihood.  Yes, some young adults have certainly died of it. But it is unlikely. 

There are exceptions.  For example, people can go to the doctor if they are Covid+.  I am sure using the toilet rises to the level of warranting an exception.

The rules about travel vary from state to state.  I have heard of many people traveling to be with family after finding they are Covid+.  It must be allowed, at least in some places / cases.  If you were on travel without a local place to stay long term, and somehow got a positive Covid test, what would you do?  Or what if you found out you had it but you live with very high risk people and want to protect them by leaving?  The law has to make allowance for realities.

Edited by SKL

Just now, Ktgrok said:

Yup. I've never wanted an RV before this pandemic, but I do now!

Me too. 

I have long distance older parent people and it would help. I think. If I could drive it and set it up and it didn’t get knocked over by wind shear.  

Or whatever.

And if I could afford it 😁

I don't see how this compares to any other illness during college. One has to deal with possible contagion and there is the option of continuing classes from home. Neither of these have come in to play in recent years. We mostly encourage our kids to stay at school sick so they don't miss class and fall behind. I would be trying to figure out a way to get a child home or be nearer and have access to them in the college town. No one else is going to take them to the doctor or be sure they don't get dehydrated if they get really sick. You can't be sure your college student will only get light case. It's so difficult.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Yeah, and I've always been that way, the best way to get me to do something is to forbid me to do it. I WILL make a way. Period. 

So funny, but even though our plan was already the RV plan, Dreamergal's post makes me want to change it just to spite her.  And Dreamergal, don't bother responding, I won't see it.

Well, bless your heart, isn't that a mature perspective!

6 minutes ago, SKL said:

There are exceptions.  For example, people can go to the doctor if they are Covid+.  I am sure using the toilet rises to the level of warranting an exception.

The rules about travel vary from state to state.  I have heard of many people traveling to be with family after finding they are Covid+.  It must be allowed, at least in some places / cases.  If you were on travel without a local place to stay long term, and somehow got a positive Covid test, what would you do?  Or what if you found out you had it but you live with very high risk people and want to protect them by leaving?  The law has to make allowance for realities.

No, no state has a health department saying road trips are allowed while you are supposed to be quarantining. If you go to a doctor they have precautions in place for you to be there and you can only go to certain ones. They will have a special toilet area set aside for you, not one for the general public. 

And that bit about traveling and then becoming positive - that is WHY people are not supposed to be traveling! Because yes, if you come up positive while out of town, you are supposed to STAY there until you are no longer contagious. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, SKL said:

The rules about travel vary from state to state.  I have heard of many people traveling to be with family after finding they are Covid+.  It must be allowed, at least in some places / cases.  If you were on travel without a local place to stay long term, and somehow got a positive Covid test, what would you do?  The law has to make allowance for realities.

Many medical facilities try to separate Covid positive patients from others and have different toilet cleaning protocols than regular public bathrooms.  I am not sure that the example equates well.  Many doctors are not seeing probable Covid positive patients in person in a usual way. 

Also some people being loose with protocols at medical facilities adds to many people being afraid to go in and possibly other problems becoming more fatal. People afraid to seek care for heart attack lest they get covid19, for example because it’s known that lots of people aren’t going to be careful or perhaps honest about CV19 status. 

Travel rules do vary.  State rules do vary.  Universities and colleges are handling things in a variety of ways. In news was that some GA colleges want kids to go home if sick, for example. 

And people also sometimes do things that aren’t legal or right.   So and so did x may not mean that x was legal or right. 

I think if one gets sick with CV19 while traveling one is supposed to contact local health department for what to do. They need to be able to contact trace also. And different arrangements exist for emergency quarantine or isolation in different places. One is not supposed to continue on travels afaik. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

There are options other than stopping at a normal public rest areas and that's a reason to brain storm stuff like this. It's not hard to set up a bucket toilet and garbage bags.  It's possible to research where the pit toilet and port a potty options are on your route and bring some disinfecting wipes to wipe down high contact areas you're done.   If you have an RV with a bathroom, that is great.  I grew up peeing in ditches on road trips.  There are other solutions.  It's a good season to have something like this if you know you're going to be on longer road trips.  

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/luggable-loo-seat-and-cover?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Google+Smart+Shopping+-+Catch+All+-+PLA_Generic&gclid=CjwKCAjwkoz7BRBPEiwAeKw3q26Nim-ttcIBYPYQuvstEqBI-MNRssTaFKW-KpliqLeQ_XVU_jNGCRoCnh0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's also possible to get gas masked and pay with credit card at the pump and I watch for gas stations that aren't busy.  This is just my norm now actually.   You can pack all your food and water, etc.   

I would personally be extremely uncomfortable using a public rest room on the road transporting a known covid+ case and I hope most people would make other accommodations if they felt the need to transport a covid+ patient.  Health care facilities are taking many more precautions about exposure than other public places.  I have needed to use public rest rooms on the road transporting my own kid to college and I was hyper aware of needing to get in and out quickly.  

I agree you need to check protocols about the colleges in question and the states involved with travel.  I totally get it is hard.  It is hard for me too.  I am personally hoping my kid gets sick of it and just comes home to finish out the semester in the next couple weeks, but I am fine if he chooses to stay.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Yeah, and I've always been that way, the best way to get me to do something is to forbid me to do it. I WILL make a way. Period. 

So funny, but even though our plan was already the RV plan, Dreamergal's post makes me want to change it just to spite her.  And Dreamergal, don't bother responding, I won't see it.

If you keep up this attitude, I'll start deleting your posts.

51 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

Sweet baby Jesus  

That sounds like a really good plan. So sorry people have not been kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

We have Luggable Loo that @FuzzyCatz linked above, including the double bags double sealable it sells as better than regular garbage bags, and it is very good system IME.   

I prefer wearing pants, but a skirt allows a woman to use it inside a big enough vehicle with relative privacy from public with no additional privacy tents etc. 

• Like 2

Also on luggable loo if only using for 24 hours travel, seal each bag used immediately. It won’t be that many bags total most likely and will reduce odors and chance of accidental spillage on a turn or bump which would be very nasty to deal with and add potentially to contagion. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

There are options other than stopping at a normal public rest areas and that's a reason to brain storm stuff like this. It's not hard to set up a bucket toilet and garbage bags.  It's possible to research where the pit toilet and port a potty options are on your route and bring some disinfecting wipes to wipe down high contact areas you're done.  

For a normal thing, yeah, but with diarrhea and vomiting being possible symptoms, that could be a lot less feasible. 

Another reason a 12 hour trip with a positive person is a bad idea. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

It's fine. I've blocked her, so I no longer see what she posts.  It's fine.  But don't be heavy handed or I will find a way around it, just like I did with my father.  Some may find it juvenile and off-line I am extremely conflict avoidant.  But when you attack people like she did the OP... I WILL STAND UP AND YOU CAN"T STOP ME>

You are telling the moderator you refuse to allow her to moderate your posts? 

Can we at least PRETEND to act like grown ups on here? 

I'm waiting for  'neener neener" or a tongue sticking out gif or something, for crying out loud. 

You can "stand up" for someone and express your opinions without acting like a 3 yr old having a tantrum. If you choose not to, yeah, the moderators will step in. That's what moderating means. You don't have to shout "and you can't make me" or like a spoilt child. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

You are telling the moderator you refuse to allow her to moderate your posts? 

Can we at least PRETEND to act like grown ups on here? 

I'm waiting for  'neener neener" or a tongue sticking out gif or something, for crying out loud. 

You can "stand up" for someone and express your opinions without acting like a 3 yr old having a tantrum. If you choose not to, yeah, the moderators will step in. That's what moderating means. You don't have to shout "and you can't make me" or like a spoilt child. 

She might just change her name again like she did when she changed from Seeking to Happy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, desertflower said:

I agree with Rosie.   I deleted your post because you said we could. 

Dreamergal and Happymomof 1, you both need to agree to disagree. 

One more report from this thread and we will take it down.  Thanks. 

Oh and stay safe.  😄

Yes, could you please delete the thread? I got the input and insight that *I* needed and I don't think there's truly anything useful on this thread to save. 

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 1