Menu

What are you excited about this week?

Laura Corin

I've been preparing space in my yard for an avocado tree. I tried to grow one where we used to live, but the antechinus kept eating it. (Native rat critter. Tidy little persons, they are. If they steal your sunflower seeds, they'll leave the shells in a tidy pile that you can sweep up easily.) I'm fencing off another spot from the chooks so I can grow tomatoes too. I haven't had home grown tomatoes in years and I'm going to this year!

14 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I've been preparing space in my yard for an avocado tree. I tried to grow one where we used to live, but the antechinus kept eating it. (Native rat critter. Tidy little persons, they are. If they steal your sunflower seeds, they'll leave the shells in a tidy pile that you can sweep up easily.) I'm fencing off another spot from the chooks so I can grow tomatoes too. I haven't had home grown tomatoes in years and I'm going to this year!

Sounds terrific 😁

• Like 8

Helping my brother finish the things that need to get done to get his house on the market. I painted one of his bathrooms today, which was the final room that needed to be painted!!! We painted the entire house in a week.  Dh and I are going over there on Saturday to help my brother with the biggest project, a small office and bathroom that had a leaking roof that he didn't know about until he pulled up the carpet.  The roof was fixed this week and now on Saturday we're heading over there to put new installation, drywall, wood panels up, and then laying flooring.  I am hell bent on getting those rooms done in one day.  It'll happen as long as my brother finishes the demo prior to Saturday.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

A new rowing machine. Most of all though, a new storage shed. I could not take cars parked in the driveway, garage becoming gym. So things will be moving out to make it look nice and not cluttered. 

ETA: Congrats about the new degree.

It's  just for personal interest - another undergraduate degree but allowing me to study a wider range of subjects than first time around. As I  work for a university,  it's very cheap.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

An avocado tree - how wonderful. 

The house we just moved into has an old greenhouse. I am thinking about trying tomatoes. Any recommended varieties for taste and disease resistance? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I asked dh about an avocado tree and said we would need a male and a female. How are you doing it?
Nothing like a home-grown tomato. Beefsteak? Early girl? Cherry? Crimson? Roma? Or maybe they have completely different varieties where you are?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I asked dh about an avocado tree and said we would need a male and a female. How are you doing it?
Nothing like a home-grown tomato. Beefsteak? Early girl? Cherry? Crimson? Roma? Or maybe they have completely different varieties where you are?

For the avocado, I'm going to get a self fertile cultivar. From what I've read, it's the best choice for my climate.

Don't ask me what tomatoes. I've gone and ordered three different kinds, one of which is yellow pear tomato, because I bought a picture book about it and promised myself that one day I'd actually grow some to match the picture book. Then I ordered two other kinds and can't remember what they are. I don't know why. I'm sure I don't have the room for three different types. My only excuse is it is Spring, and Spring does funny things to people. 

2 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Okay. I've gone to check. And found I've ordered two kinds of spinach as well! I'm probably lucky I didn't order bitter melon seeds or something impractical like that. 

https://www.diggers.com.au/shop/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-tasmanian-chocolate-organic/s2412/ because they are self supporting.

https://www.diggers.com.au/shop/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-wapsipinicon-peach/s237/ just for kicks, I think. 🤩

31 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Okay. I've gone to check. And found I've ordered two kinds of spinach as well! I'm probably lucky I didn't order bitter melon seeds or something impractical like that. 

https://www.diggers.com.au/shop/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-tasmanian-chocolate-organic/s2412/ because they are self supporting.

https://www.diggers.com.au/shop/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-wapsipinicon-peach/s237/ just for kicks, I think. 🤩

Those look exciting, for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Bitter melon and goat/lamb is one of the most divine tastes oh mighty board moderator.  I crave them and one of the reasons I brave the pandemic or send DH to buy when we get grocery delivery otherwise. 

I like them with pumpkin, but can't buy them unless I go to the city, which I haven't for months. Growing them myself would be absurd. I couldn't possibly eat that many! 

15 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I got a variety called Champagne Bubbles Tomato this year which is a white cherry tomato and it was very sweet and productive for me that I plan to grow it next year again. I mostly look at the varieties here and then order them from Rareseeds.com: https://wildboarfarms.com/product-category/tomato-seeds/

As for what I am excited about this week: my child started a rigorous college level class this week and seems to be holding his own without parental involvement (including email followup, submitting assignments online on time, co-ordinating with his professors, asking for help, participating in discussions, working with groups of other students etc).

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

A Tasmanian Chocolate tomato! Love it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

For the avocado, I'm going to get a self fertile cultivar. From what I've read, it's the best choice for my climate.

I have to check into self fertile cultivar. 

ETA: Found several. Hmmmm, options...and it's not even spring here.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

1.Dd and I are taking my mom out to eat tomorrow! Restrictions have eased and she can go out to things besides doctor's appts. We'll head to a local food burger  place with nice outdoor seating.

2.Ten new girls for our AHG troop!

3. My medieval literature class. 

4. I got my hair cut today. Hooray!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

On 9/2/2020 at 6:23 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

My tomatoes are finishing up and, while I’m tired of canning the excess, I’m soooo sad to see them go. I’m not quite over them yet. I’ll plant more next year. It seems 15 plants aren’t quite enough. 😋

I’m looking forward to some bushes arriving on my doorstep. I ordered a oak leaf hydrangea and a red twig dogwood. A friend is rehoming two gumpo azaleas. I’m not sure quite what they are, but I’m excited to get them. My theme is “Help, my landscape needs winter interest.”

• Like 3

Tomorrow night I get to watch my dd performing in the Irish dance show she was touring with (until Covid stopped everything) on PBS. The 25th Anniversary of the show was recorded in Dublin back in February. It's been playing on PBS around the country for the last month and finally getting to our area tomorrow.

• Like 8