Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

In anecdotal evidence, my DH was coughing quite badly last night after a couple of days of feeling good. It would be day 14 for him. He did have two quite busy days and has stopped resting.

Hope his cough settles.

I forgot to update my anecdotal news which is that dd didn't get infected even though she'd been at the same party where her partner got sick, and obv, in the same home as partner. They did pretty strict iso for the partner..

• Like 4

On 7/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, bookbard said:

A really interesting article listing a lot of times people were given misleading information in the name of 'don't panic'. I wonder who is pushing the 'panic is more dangerous than anything' line? Is it based on anything scientific or is it emotional or is it a political line? That would be a good thing for someone to dig into. 

We're still negative for Covid four days after giving a lift in the car to a family who tested positive the next day. I'm wondering when I can relax a bit - a week? 10 days?

People who panic tend not to listen to the facts until they have stopped panicing. That's true in many different contexts, not just medical. Of course, it is necessary to have the "don't panic" stuff be compatible with "the facts".

My hospital's just reintroduced most of the COVID restrictions and re-opened its COVID ward after discovering at least 7.7% of patients had a positive COVID test - despite most patients not being tested under the relaxed regime of the past few weeks (it was reserved for people with symptoms). Increasing numbers of patients are also having recoveries impaired by their COVID infection, or just plain being admitted because of COVID.

• Sad 1

76 or 77 deaths in Aus today (different trackers). Getting back up toward the Jan peak again. Another friend of DHs is on his second go round. He has some other health issues but not immune system related as far as I know.

Edited by Ausmumof3

21 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Getting back up toward the Jan peak again.

Yes, I heard QLD has postponed elective surgery again. The federal health minister reiterated today that they wouldn't be pushing for mask mandates or lockdowns again. It's all bad news really.

I did one of those google trend searches for Australia, for the word 'covid'. Basically searches peaked in January (when numbers were around 25,000 a day) and plunged - right now really low. So if it feels like no one around you has a clue about covid, long covid or anything similar - they probably don't!

Will just add one piece of good news, that they've expanded getting anti-virals to more people. Anyone at all above 70, and anyone above 50 with 2 conditions, and then anyone at all with certain conditions. 

Edited by bookbard
  • Sad 4

On 7/9/2022 at 12:58 AM, bookbard said:

Interesting research about finding a biomaker for long covid in the blood.

That is interesting. I keep wondering when they might have an actual test for long covid. I read the article, but didn't see anything about whether long covid patients with spike protein circulating test positive for covid antibodies or not. An antibody test was all my doctor was able to offer me, but we know those are unreliable as far as for how long antibodies stick around. Not sure if they would stick around any longer in someone who had spike protein actively circulating.

This article on reinfections had one part that particularly stood out to me (As the BA.5 variant spreads, the risk of coronavirus reinfection grows😞

In a paper posted online last month, but not yet peer-reviewed or published in a journal, Al-Aly and his co-authors reported that people with multiple infections have a higher cumulative risk of a severe illness or death.

It’s not that the later illnesses are worse than, or even as bad as, earlier cases. But any coronavirus infection carries risk, and the risk of a really bad outcome — a heart attack, for example — builds cumulatively, like a plaque, as infections multiply.

“Reinfection adds risk,” he said. “You’re rolling the dice again. You’re playing Russian roulette.”

That speaks to what I was saying earlier today on the hepatitis in children thread.

• Like 2

News reporter this morning, on a story about a mass outbreak on a cruise ship, "Do you think most reasonable people think there's covid in the community around us, and we just have to get on with our lives?" (Yes, she said 'reasonable').

And that's why our numbers are soaring. 

Apparently normally at least half of children are vaccinated against the flu - this year it's 20%. Worst flu outbreak (and RSV and and) in years and years. But the media (and govt) attitude is just "hey, it's all around us, nothing we can do."

• Sad 5

26 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Free RAT tests for concession card holders ending 31/7 in Aus.

I feel so disappointed at how the current govt has followed the previous govt's playbook. I was hopeful that they'd push for masks and ventilation but it's all economic. I know so many people who have no sick leave left this year and we're only halfway through. Now they've cut payments and RAT tests, people will stop testing and just 'push through' saying 'oh it's allergies/cold'. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I feel so disappointed at how the current govt has followed the previous govt's playbook. I was hopeful that they'd push for masks and ventilation but it's all economic. I know so many people who have no sick leave left this year and we're only halfway through. Now they've cut payments and RAT tests, people will stop testing and just 'push through' saying 'oh it's allergies/cold'. 

Someone was pointing this out today. We’ve now changed guidelines to allow for reinfections without 28 days but no one has that much sick leave even if they do have permanent work. Let alone casuals. I’ll be honest I didn’t expect much on the covid front because the first thing labour did after getting in here was to drop all the remaining restrictions. They are at least investing more in the health system I think but I don’t know if it will be enough. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:51 AM, bookbard said:

Thought this was a good video - really simple so people can understand. We need a clean air campaign (not just for covid - for all bacteria, viruses, and pollution - they all affect the brain).

Just quoting you here to say I notice a couple of people have commented on this saying they have a donate button on their page with no clear information about what people are donating too or who they actually are. I’m all for raising awareness but might be worth exercising a bit of caution around sharing this until it’s a bit clearer. Domain name for the website was newly registered in May and there is no info on who owns it. It’s possibly a perfectly legitimate project raising awareness around covid and ventilation but it does seem a bit odd.

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Just quoting you here to say I notice a couple of people have commented on this saying they have a donate button on their page with no clear information about what people are donating too or who they actually are. I’m all for raising awareness but might be worth exercising a bit of caution around sharing this until it’s a bit clearer. Domain name for the website was newly registered in May and there is no info on who owns it. It’s possibly a perfectly legitimate project raising awareness around covid and ventilation but it does seem a bit odd.

Oh, I hadn't seen that - thanks for the warning. Hopefully someone just inexperienced rather than malicious, but you can never tell. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

Some parts of the UK (though not the one I live in yet) have paused elective surgeries due to a combination of COVID and this week's heat wave.

Climate change in a nutshell.

Just saw that a 5yr old's heart surgery has been delayed in Victoria due to lack of beds, due to Covid. And yet no mask mandate.

• Sad 4

FDA has officially approved Novavax; CDC still needs to sign off. Risk of myocarditis in young men is similar to the mRNA shorts, but there is good news RE: effectiveness of a 3rd dose of Novavax against omicron (I wonder if there's any chance they will allow people who had Pfizer/Moderna previously to opt for Novavax as a booster?):

"The Food and Drug Administration has authorized Novavax’s two-dose vaccine for adults ages 18 and over, the fourth Covid shot to get emergency approval in the U.S. since the pandemic began.

The FDA decision comes weeks after its committee of independent vaccine experts voted overwhelming in favor of Novavax’s shot in early June, after an all-day public meeting in which they weighed data on the vaccine’s safety and its effectiveness at preventing illness from Covid.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention still needs to sign off on Novavax’s vaccine before pharmacies and other health-care providers can start administering shots. FDA authorization of Novavax’s vaccine was delayed for weeks as the agency reviewed changes to the company’s manufacturing process.

<snip>

Novavax presented data at an FDA committee meeting in late June demonstrating that a third dose of its vaccine produced a strong immune response against omicron and its subvariants. Committee members were impressed by the company’s data on omicron."

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/fda-authorizes-novavax-covid-vaccine-for-adults-.html

Edited by Corraleno
add link
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Corraleno said:

FDA has officially approved Novavax; CDC still needs to sign off. Risk of myocarditis in young men is similar to the mRNA shorts, but there is good news RE: effectiveness of a 3rd dose of Novavax against omicron (I wonder if there's any chance they will allow people who had Pfizer/Moderna previously to opt for Novavax as a booster?):

"The Food and Drug Administration has authorized Novavax’s two-dose vaccine for adults ages 18 and over, the fourth Covid shot to get emergency approval in the U.S. since the pandemic began.

The FDA decision comes weeks after its committee of independent vaccine experts voted overwhelming in favor of Novavax’s shot in early June, after an all-day public meeting in which they weighed data on the vaccine’s safety and its effectiveness at preventing illness from Covid.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention still needs to sign off on Novavax’s vaccine before pharmacies and other health-care providers can start administering shots. FDA authorization of Novavax’s vaccine was delayed for weeks as the agency reviewed changes to the company’s manufacturing process.

<snip>

Novavax presented data at an FDA committee meeting in late June demonstrating that a third dose of its vaccine produced a strong immune response against omicron and its subvariants. Committee members were impressed by the company’s data on omicron."

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/fda-authorizes-novavax-covid-vaccine-for-adults-.html

It sounds like the incidence of myocarditis might be higher than with the mRNA shots? Do you read it that way? I didn’t think Pfizer or Moderna had any cases during trials, because it’s too rare to have shown up, whereas Novavax had four. I might be misremembering that though and will look it up. 

57 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

2nd booster wiped me out (Pfizer). @Ausmumof3 I know you were a bit worried about side effects of 4th jab.

Nurse said ppl seemed to experience more side effects with second booster compared to first. Is Novovax booster an option for you? 

That’s interesting because my second booster (also Pfizer) has given me almost no side effects. (It’s so individual). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

2nd booster wiped me out (Pfizer). @Ausmumof3 I know you were a bit worried about side effects of 4th jab.

Nurse said ppl seemed to experience more side effects with second booster compared to first. Is Novovax booster an option for you? 

thanks heaps for letting me know. I was actually thinking of trying to go this afternoon because I have a day and a half to recover but it’s too late. I’m not sure when I can even do it now. I know I can definitely get Moderna but that’s probably similar. I might find out about novovax - the data seems encouraging on variants as well.

• Like 1

I got my 2nd booster, Moderna after 3 Pfizers, yesterday afternoon. I have a slightly sore arm at the site, and a little fatigue that may just be my imagination, and that's it. I felt a tiny bit of nausea yesterday evening, but wouldn't have noticed it if I had had anything else to focus on. None of this is enough to keep me from doing anything I really wanted to do (but I still might use it as an excuse for what I need to do😂). I don't know if anybody gets worse after 24 hours as far as side effects, but it's pretty much unnoticeable at this point.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I got my 2nd booster, Moderna after 3 Pfizers, yesterday afternoon. I have a slightly sore arm at the site, and a little fatigue that may just be my imagination, and that's it. I felt a tiny bit of nausea yesterday evening, but wouldn't have noticed it if I had had anything else to focus on. None of this is enough to keep me from doing anything I really wanted to do (but I still might use it as an excuse for what I need to do😂). I don't know if anybody gets worse after 24 hours as far as side effects, but it's pretty much unnoticeable at this point.

This is what I am planning to do. Are your Moderna side effects similar to your Pfizer side effects? I know that side effects vary greatly from one person to another, but I am curious about Pfizer vs Moderna in the same person.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

This is what I am planning to do. Are your Moderna side effects similar to your Pfizer side effects? I know that side effects vary greatly from one person to another, but I am curious about Pfizer vs Moderna in the same person.

I had almost no side effects with my first two Pfizer shots, but I had a really strong reaction to both Moderna boosters. I was hoping the second booster wouldn't be as bad as the first, but I had equal reactions to both. I'd still choose Moderna though, both for the cross-protection and for the larger dose.

The difference in dosage seems to be the main reason that more people have more side effects with Moderna vs Pfizer, and that's by design — Pfizer chose to go for the minimum dose that seemed to give good protection while minimizing side effects while Moderna went for higher protection in spite of higher side effects.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The difference in dosage seems to be the main reason that more people have more side effects with Moderna vs Pfizer, and that's by design — Pfizer chose to go for the minimum dose that seemed to give good protection while minimizing side effects while Moderna went for higher protection in spite of higher side effects.

I thought Moderna is lower for boosters, just higher for the first two doses.

https://www.anthem.com/ca/coronavirus/blog/booster-vs-third-dose/
What's the difference between a COVID-19 booster and an additional shot?

There's no difference in the formula of the vaccine itself. However, the dose may be lower. For example, the Moderna booster is half the dose of one primary series shot, while the Pfizer booster is the same dose. Boosters and additional doses are also used for different medical reasons and given at different times.”

38 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I had 3 Pfizers then the Moderna.  My first booster symptoms (Pfizer) were very similar to my 2nd booster (Moderna).  I had very few side affects from my initial 2 doses.  For both my boosters I had classic flu symptoms from about hour 10 to hour 36 post vax (chills, low grade fever, headache, malaise, aches, etc).  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

There's no difference in the formula of the vaccine itself. However, the dose may be lower. For example, the Moderna booster is half the dose of one primary series shot, while the Pfizer booster is the same dose. Boosters and additional doses are also used for different medical reasons and given at different times.”

Moderna's booster is still higher than Pfizer's: 50 mcg vs 30 mcg. For the first two shots, Moderna's was 100 vs Pfizer's 30. 

ETA: I think it's also poorly worded when they say "there is no difference in the formula" when what they really mean is there is no difference in the mRNA component. I believe the two companies use different proprietary formulas for the lipid capsule and/or adjuvants and other ingredients. They do seem to have slightly different effects on the immune system.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Oi, they phrased that really badly. A half dose of Moderna is still more than a full dose of Pfizer. A regular adult Pfizer dose is 30mcg while a regular Moderna is 100mcg. So a booster Moderna is 50mcg--still almost twice as much as a full Pfizer.

The dosing difference is even bigger when looking at the pediatric shots, and the difference dosing makes really showed through there when the 3mcg Pfizer failed to be effective in the youngest kids. Under 5s now get 3mcg of Pfizer 3 times whereas Moderna gives under 6s 25mcg twice.

• Like 3

I did Pfizer for my first 3 (because that was what was available locally to me-for the first booster, it was all that was approved at the time) and Moderna for my 4th. I had the worst side effects from the first 2, and really not much at all for #3 and #4, Really hoping there sill be one that includes variants for this fall (and that this year's flu shot is good....).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Not really. I had headaches for awhile (several days?) with at least the first two Pfizers, and maybe with the third one as well, but a shorter time. I also had more fatigue. It's been about 24 hrs. now, and very minor, if any, symptoms other than the site soreness (which isn't much).

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 1:52 AM, Corraleno said:

<snip>

Yes - the Novavax shot series (primary series plus booster) looks very promising regarding variant protection (I actually listened to their presentation to the FDA)! It is not clear to me that that variant protection applies to a Novavax (first or second) booster after Pfizer or Moderna. They are discussing Novavax as a booster - and I think some countries like Australia authorized Novavax as a booster after Pfizer Moderna. Has anybody seen the data for use of Novavax as a booster? That could be available more quickly than the Omicron boosters -  with Novavax claiming it could be made available in the next few weeks..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Not really. I had headaches for awhile (several days?) with at least the first two Pfizers, and maybe with the third one as well, but a shorter time. I also had more fatigue. It's been about 24 hrs. now, and very minor, if any, symptoms other than the site soreness (which isn't much).

Thanks! I had a terrible headache after the first Pfizer, but only minor side effects after the 2nd and 3rd shots. I am going to go with the Moderna this time and hope for the best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Thanks! I had a terrible headache after the first Pfizer, but only minor side effects after the 2nd and 3rd shots. I am going to go with the Moderna this time and hope for the best!

I was a little bit concerned that it would hit me hard and planned slow days, but so far, so good. I get to feel good while I'm lazy.

• Like 3

Info about second booster effectiveness (all about people above 50 unfortunately), and not very long time frames. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7129e1.htm?s_cid=mm7129e1_w

This raises the question o those above 50 who got their second booster 4 to 5 months ago need another one now, followed by another Omicron one this fall? Since effectiveness of the first booster dropped pretty quickly, has the one of the fourth one dropped similarly?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Info about second booster effectiveness (all about people above 50 unfortunately), and not very long time frames. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7129e1.htm?s_cid=mm7129e1_w

This raises the question o those above 50 who got their second booster 4 to 5 months ago need another one now, followed by another Omicron one this fall? Since effectiveness of the first booster dropped pretty quickly, has the one of the fourth one dropped similarly?

If I'm offered one, I'll take it. I did it as soon as I was eligible last Spring due to my Mom, and would really like to be able to get one before school starts and I'm stuck in a room with a bunch of kids...

https://insightplus.mja.com.au/2022/27/ama-victoria-to-call-for-royal-commission-into-ahpra/

The division in the medical world over handling covid seems to be increasing here. Dr David Berger is more of a zero covid advocate and his tone is pretty abrasive. He is a strong advocate for ventilation measures etc 

THE Victorian Branch of the Australian Medical Association (AMA) will put forward a motion at the AMA’s National Conference at the end of this month, calling for a Royal Commission into the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

Dr Mukesh Haikerwal, former President of the Federal AMA, and a member of the AMA Victoria Council, told InSight+ the motion had been tabled with the Federal AMA, and would be on the agenda of the conference which runs 29-31 July.

The move comes in the wake of AHPRA’s decision to impose restrictions on West Australian GP Dr David Berger because of his alleged conduct on Twitter. There has been concern among leading doctors using social media that freedom of speech is in danger.

Dr Berger has been a vocal, blunt, and sometimes sarcastic critic of governments, Chief Health Officers and health authorities for lack of action and alleged ignoring of evidence about the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Dr Berger must undertake education “in relation to behaving professionally and courteously to colleagues and other practitioners including when using social media in accordance with Good medical practice: a code of conduct for doctors in Australia”, according to AHPRA. Dr Berger was allegedly the subject of an anonymous complainant who objected to his manner of expression.”

Edited by Ausmumof3

According to AusDoc, AHPRA said that Dr Berger was guilty of undermining confidence in “public health messaging” relating to COVID-19.

“Dr Berger has made comments that disagree with politicians, government bodies and public health organisations, pharmaceutical companies and other medical professionals. He has done so using emotive and pejorative language,” AHPRA was quoted as saying.

Dr Miller questioned AHPRA’s strategy.

“If AHPRA is hoping to maintain faith in health authorities then shutting down these kinds of debates on social media will have the opposite effect,” he told InSight+.

“To say we cannot criticise health authorities or public health settings could logically, in my opinion, damage public trust,” he said. “Does this compliance mandate also extend to non-pandemic health policies?”

• Like 1