Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

We're pulling both kids out for the week due to high covid numbers plus rain (so they're indoors the whole time, including recess and lunch). Another local school has had to go online due to lack of teachers due to covid. Face to face may be ideal, but not much education is happening right now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Thanks, it's crazy that it's happening again! We're not in the danger zone though, just tend to get cut off due to roads in and out. 

What a year! Two years! Actually three… I’ve lost track. Stay safe and hope things are better soon. Wise decision to pull the kids out I think. Roughly half my students have had it now. The older kids that are masking seem to be doing slightly better than the primary.

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

BA2.8 in Scotland

i haven’t had time to read/research yet but didnt Scotland just have a big surge?

Coming back to comment on my own post but I’ve seen a couple of estimated that this is 34pc more transmissible than BA2 and 100pc than BA2. Are we going to get slammed with this?

15 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

EEK

I don't understand how this is possible, given that in the UK from next month, non-free COVID tests are going to be £20 for 4 lateral flow tests and £70 for 1 PCR test despite these no longer being NHS-subsidised in any way. (Unfortunately I expect the UK's decision to scrap most free tests will also make the statistics unreliable, and make it much more dangerous to do things with other people - the hospitals are already getting an increase in cases from the loss of mask requirements from many aspects of life in the UK).

• Sad 3

I don't think you've missed any conversation on the point. My personal hypothesis is that women might be more likely to test and mask when communication from Westminster makes it sound like testing and masking is optional (although Scotland is governed by Holyrood for - among other things - devolved public health matters, Westminster politics gets a lot of airplay)?

Would be interested to see some actual research, though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I suspect it's to do with caring responsibility. Anecdotally, almost everyone is getting it from schoolkids

Screenshot_20220329-212219_Chrome.jpg

That makes sense. Though do you have any thoughts why that effect wasn't seen until recently?

6 minutes ago, KSera said:

That makes sense. Though do you have any thoughts why that effect wasn't seen until recently?

Covid is just ripping through schools these days. There are no mandates in schools now - the only remaining restriction is requiring masks in shops etc   Here's my county infection rate, for laughs.

Screenshot_20220329-213216_Chrome.jpg

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

I don't understand how this is possible, given that in the UK from next month, non-free COVID tests are going to be £20 for 4 lateral flow tests and £70 for 1 PCR test despite these no longer being NHS-subsidised in any way. (Unfortunately I expect the UK's decision to scrap most free tests will also make the statistics unreliable, and make it much more dangerous to do things with other people - the hospitals are already getting an increase in cases from the loss of mask requirements from many aspects of life in the UK).

I’m assuming it’s a cash grab by providers. Similar to how insulin was so expensive in the US.  But I don’t really understand the ins and outs of it.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m assuming it’s a cash grab by providers. Similar to how insulin was so expensive in the US.  But I don’t really understand the ins and outs of it.

Isn't this something that could be sold generically over the counter,  driving the price down? It's not a drug, after all.

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

Isn't this something that could be sold generically over the counter,  driving the price down? It's not a drug, after all.

You would think so. But the rapid tests did need approval before being sold so maybe not? I really don’t understand the ins and outs of it.

• Like 1

We had second highest day of cases today at over 5000. Every ED in the city is over capacity tonight. But we are still reducing restrictions. There’s some kind of mild bug going through our house I think with a bit of headache and sneezing etc however no one has tested positive and I’ve used about $40 worth of RATS in the last seven days. 😬

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Up v early with a sore throat. Rapid says neg. Trust or don't trust? Ugh. 

Oh dear. All the negative means is you are not very infectious right now. I would stay home and test again tomorrow.  I ended up getting a PCR before I accepted that my recent flu-like illness was not Covid. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

Oh dear. All the negative means is you are not very infectious right now. I would stay home and test again tomorrow.  I ended up getting a PCR before I accepted that my recent flu-like illness was not Covid. Good luck!

That sounds like good advice. It's rampant at school ATM so erring on the cautious side maybe not silly? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Up v early with a sore throat. Rapid says neg. Trust or don't trust? Ugh. 

I had the same thing last week thankfully on a non work day. PCR said negative and the couple of follow up RATS I did were negative. If you can easily get access to PCR, you’ll have a bit more reassurance. I think there’s some other bugs starting to get going with schools and life a bit more normal so hopefully it’s that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I had the same thing last week thankfully on a non work day. PCR said negative and the couple of follow up RATS I did were negative. If you can easily get access to PCR, you’ll have a bit more reassurance. I think there’s some other bugs starting to get going with schools and life a bit more normal so hopefully it’s that.

I can get a PCR just down the street, so think I'll do that today. Work day, hate to use up limited sick leave! 50% of my tutoring kids are home with Covid this week, thankfully most of them I Zoom! 

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I can get a PCR just down the street, so think I'll do that today. Work day, hate to use up limited sick leave! 50% of my tutoring kids are home with Covid this week, thankfully most of them I Zoom! 

Same. Did my first zoom session last night. I was super nervous but most of it worked well. We had a bit of trouble with the whiteboard on zoom but that was all.  I actually found it hard to believe my negative test given the amount of exposure I’ve had! I keep wondering if there’s some new variant that the tests aren’t picking up or something.  I’m casual so no work=no pay.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

So NSW found over 300 extra deaths since Jan, not sure how it works but related to death certificates? Also not sure where they 'put' the extra deaths. There were 17 announced yday, which is very high. It is rampant at the moment, as there are no mitigations.

Interesting situation yesterday. At an event with my kids, large indoor space, we were all masked. Friend comes up, indicates my mask, says very sensible as she's still not herself after her infection a month ago. Holds a mask she finds in her bag in her hand. Still cannot bring herself to put it on. Educated businesswoman. I did advise to practise a half hour at a time at home, to increase the time slowly. Also advised she get N94. My husband reckoned the social pressure is huge for some people and perhaps that's why only ourselves and one other family masked. We stood near the open door. 

Edited by bookbard
  • Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-01/sa-teachers-no-longer-notify-all-covid19-classroom-contacts/100957728

Schools in SA will no longer tell kids they are close contacts unless there’s more than five cases in a class. It seems like we are literally one step from not keeping covid positive kids home at all. This would be hard as a parent I imagine when trying to figure out whether to visit grandparents etc.

• Sad 1

Yikes. New study on post-covid brain damage in primates, including those with mild illness:

"This work reveals neuroinflammation, brain hypoxia, microhemorrhages, and pathology consistent with hypoxic-ischemic injury with rare infection of brain vasculature in SARS-CoV-2 infected NHPs and provides key insights into SARS-CoV-2-associated neuropathogenesis. Our findings are consistent with those reported on autopsied brain of human subjects who died with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Additional molecular analyses on brain from our animal models suggest reduced oxygen to the CNS may contribute significantly to injury in the context of infection. Importantly, animals that did not develop acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) demonstrated neuropathology that may lead to long-term neurological symptoms of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC), or “long COVID”.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29440-z

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

PCR took two days to come back neg. Still sick, but hopefully just with a 'normal' virus. 

Two days! That must have been stressful. NB if it is this so called 'super cold', it really did take my daughter a good week before she was right. Deputy principal rang and said they've had a few with it and it's taken them up to two weeks. Hopefully you'll be ok by the time school hols roll round. NB both my kids' schools said to me it was very sensible for me to pull kids out next week and that there would be a lot of people away. No pushback. Both schools started putting more work up online for those who want to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Two days! That must have been stressful. NB if it is this so called 'super cold', it really did take my daughter a good week before she was right. Deputy principal rang and said they've had a few with it and it's taken them up to two weeks. Hopefully you'll be ok by the time school hols roll round. NB both my kids' schools said to me it was very sensible for me to pull kids out next week and that there would be a lot of people away. No pushback. Both schools started putting more work up online for those who want to do it. 

It definitely feels like the super cold. Absolutely rotten. Good to know that it's a thing, though, and to expect a few more days rest needed. 

My niece has been at home too - 2/3 of her class out with Covid, so the class is shared out between other classes - it wasn't worth the risk of getting sick. 

• Sad 3

Hey I got a faint positive on RAT - went and got PCR so should hear tomorrow I guess. Am I the first Aussie on here to get done? So far not feeling sick just tired. Had the booster mid Jan so hopefully it still has some power. Kids only got 2nd vax 2 weeks ago.

• Sad 10

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Hey I got a faint positive on RAT - went and got PCR so should hear tomorrow I guess. Am I the first Aussie on here to get done? So far not feeling sick just tired. Had the booster mid Jan so hopefully it still has some power. Kids only got 2nd vax 2 weeks ago.

Oh dear, hope you stay well. Yep, I think you have the dubious honor of being first 🙁 

Zinc, if you have it. Rest + fluids. Hope the PCR comes back quickly!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

hope you have a mild case

2 of my children have had it. One ds 25 had a positive on a rat taken randomly at work,  No symptoms that was in late feb.  the other , ds 18 had a slight drippy nose and a week later very tired.  It is around 4 weeks ago now and he is fine

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

As far as I know we haven’t had it though I’m somewhat doubtful to be honest as we’ve had exposure plus mild symptoms. I’m not that confident in the testing.

i hope you’re fine - pretty much everyone I know personally who has had it seems to be ok at this stage thankfully. I do know of one family that had a kid briefly hospitalised but that’s kind of friends of friends.

Also your kids vax should be at maximum protection right now I guess if it was two weeks ago.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

As far as I know we haven’t had it though I’m somewhat doubtful to be honest as we’ve had exposure plus mild symptoms. I’m not that confident in the testing.

i hope you’re fine - pretty much everyone I know personally who has had it seems to be ok at this stage thankfully. I do know of one family that had a kid briefly hospitalised but that’s kind of friends of friends.

Also your kids vax should be at maximum protection right now I guess if it was two weeks ago.

Agree. I had a negative PCR before testing positive on RAT. Hopefully, you’ll get a definitive answer.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

hope you have a mild case

2 of my children have had it. One ds 25 had a positive on a rat taken randomly at work,  No symptoms that was in late feb.  the other , ds 18 had a slight drippy nose and a week later very tired.  It is around 4 weeks ago now and he is fine

Hope you guys are ok. I see flooding and severe weather is hitting VIC now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hope you guys are ok. I see flooding and severe weather is hitting VIC now

Yes it is pretty intense.  we have an East Coast Low. lots of trees coming down, lots of roads closed. all the roads around us really.  100 km hour wind and a deluge of rain . Major flooding expected in the next few hours. our house doesn't flood but the waterway going through our property is a river atm. usually it is just a swampy patch.

Ds 18 messaged me just before. He was driving from here back to the town he lives at 100 km away. He left here 2 hours ago , before the expected flooding and strong winds. He said there was a flash flood on the highway and it went up to just under the windows of some of the cars. not from a river or stream, just from the rain on the highway. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Sad 12

Yay! PCR was negative! My husband reminded me I kind of contaminated the initial RAT when I dropped it . . . I'd forgotten that. Good dry run for what has to happen re work etc though. And that the kids will not stay off me no matter how many times I remind them. 

6 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Ds 18 messaged me just before. He was driving from here back to the town he lives at 100 km away. He left here 2 hours ago , before the expected flooding and strong winds. He said there was a flash flood on the highway and it went up to just under the windows of some of the cars. not from a river or stream, just from the rain on the highway. 

Oh no! Stay safe - it's crazy. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1