Menu

5th Grade Planning Thread 2020-2021

hands-on-mama

It’s that time of year! I didn’t see a thread, so I’ll get it started for us.

I can’t believe my baby will be in 5th. These years can seem long, but they truly do fly by.

Here are our plans!

History/Bible/Science/Art/Poetry: Heart of Dakota- She’ll finish up Preparing and move into Creation to Christ (likely near Christmas-we switched mid year). 

Math: MUS Epsilon (maybe even Zeta depending on how quickly she works through this)

Grammar: IEW Fix it Book 2 (maybe EIW 5 as well)

Writing: Either Essentials in Writing or an IEW topical book (haven’t decided yet)

Literature: Working through HOD DITHOR (either just the booklist or the actual program)

PE: Lots of dance ( I think she’ll have about 5-6 hours a week next year as she moves into Pointe

Typing: No clue yet but we need to get on this for sure

That’s what we have planned so far. We’ll see how much changes come August.

• Like 3

My baby will be a 5th grader next yr. It really is hard for me to believe. She turned 10 at Christmas. I no longer have any single digit kids and I have 6 adult children!!! (That is hard to process. 🙂 )

But nothing to add in terms of plans. No idea, yet. I'm having a hard enough time getting back into this yr after Christmas break.

• Like 4

Math: CLE 500’s

LA ; tgtb level 5 & BF History of the Horse  

History:  Tgtb Y4: Ancient Rome, The Reformation/ History of the bible, Slavery/ The Civil War Era, The Civil Rts Movement, Post WW2 History

Science: Sonlight Science F: Health, Medicine, Human Anatomy plus Tgtb Maturation Unit 

Art & electives: Water Color, Theater Suessical the Musical with coop, cooking challenge competition class in coop

Bible:  Case for Christ with coop, L&L bible & hymn study

PE: Beach days, Park days, Coop recess, horse back riding 2x a wk, bike riding, swimming, dog walking.

Edited by Hallyv
I think I have finalized grade 5 plans!!
  • Like 2

I haven't started planning for next year at all, but a lot of what Dd9 is doing this year will just continue next year.

Math: Saxon 7/6

Language Arts: R & S 5, W & R Books 4 and 5, AAS 6, VP book list

Bible: VP

Latin: Latin for Children B

Spanish: Duolingo

History: She is doing Ancients this year, because that is how it fell with her older siblings. Her younger sister would be ready to start Ancients next year. Since she will have 8 more years of school, I think I might do a geography study next year and let her just review Ancients as her sister does it. Then they could move on to Middle Ages together.

Science: I really love the Science in the Beginning book. We may do Science in the Ancient World. I would kind of like to do an Anatomy/Forensic Science class, though, especially if some of her friends wanted to do it with her. I may save that for 6th grade. She is sitting beside me now and wants to backspace that last sentence. I think she likes the idea of doing a class with some friends. We'll have to see.

• Like 2

My youngest is heading into 5th next year. Things have been going along at a rather solid pace for him, but I feel like we need to up the character training and add back in some fun. 

another recent thread here inspired me to dig out Konos volume 1, so I intend to try and implement that...but it makes me a bit dizzy, with all the planning and projects. We stopped with it because my boys weren’t actually doing the projects. More like watching mom do the projects! If there is a better way to implement virtue training, shout it out!

my son wants to use Bookshark love 5, and is excited to switch things up. I’m oscillating back and fourth. 2020-21 will be year 8 (!!!) for me, so I definitely don’t *need* a box, but I am burned out and don’t want to plan. I also have ALL (well, basically🤣) the curriculum, so it’s kind of hard to justify the Bookshark expense. As you can tell, I’m a mess! 

we will continue Beast Academy 5 on

some sort of typing. 

• Like 3

My middle child will be in 5th next year. He’ll be doing exactly what his brother did:

History/Geography: Tapestry of Grace Year 1 – Dialectic Stage with Oxford University Press Ancient World series and K12 Human Odyssey
Language Arts: Kolbe Academy Elementary Literature, Classical Academic Press: Writing and Rhetoric 3-4, All About Spelling Level 7, Junior Analytical Grammar and Mechanics, and Growing Your Vocabulary A and B
Math: Singapore Standards: 6A and 6B
Science: Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage
Foreign Language: Lively Latin 1
Logic Skills: Critical Thinking Company Building Thinking Skills Level 2 and Critical Thinking Company Mind Benders Book 5
Fine Arts: ARTistic Pursuits 4-6 Book 1 and Violin lessons

He also does fall and spring soccer and Cub Scouts (he’ll cross over into Boy Scouts mid-year next year) and we do a weekly for-fun homeschool co-op.

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 2

Math: Singapore Math 5

Language Arts: AAS 5, Rod & Staff English, something for writing, The Treasure Trove of Literature 1

American History/Geography: Our United States of America

Science: probably half of Harcourt Science 6, with hands-on projects with his 3rd grade brother (I'll probably buy a kit for them to complete together).

Spanish: La Clase Divertida

Religion: Bible, Catechism, saint stories

Logic: Mindbenders

For Fun: He spends a few hours or more every day using his Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and various electronics parts to make all sorts of cool projects.  I might have him do a recorded course on computer programming through Homeschool Connections, too, if he is interested.

• Like 2

I saw this pop up and realized I have no plans. Usually I start making plans around Black Friday. We've just had so much going on it has been the last thing on my mind. My upcoming 5th grader has had some health issues this year so we've pulled back some, I hope by then they are resolved but I just don't know for sure.

I think she'll continue:

Math- IDK-  I was trying her with CLE this year but it has been a bit much or maybe we needed to go slower, IDK. Instead I pulled out MM4B so we could focus on a few topics instead of so many at once. I'm considering- CLE, MUS, or MM so far but am really unsure, we'll see how the rest of the year goes.

Literature- Mom made booklist- looking at Memoria Press & Mensa 3-6th list

Writing-Writing and Rhetoric 1 and 2/writing across curriculum

Grammar-Well-Ordered Language Level 3

Spelling- Spelling Workout F

Science-  Alternating between Good & Beautiful Units- Mammals &  maybe Arthopods, / Interest led & Mystery Science 

History-  US History- current plan (subject to change) Complete Book of US History w/ mom-made booklist

Editing as I start to figure things out--ALL subject to change 🙂

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 1:07 PM, MDL said:

My youngest is heading into 5th next year. Things have been going along at a rather solid pace for him, but I feel like we need to up the character training and add back in some fun. 

another recent thread here inspired me to dig out Konos volume 1, so I intend to try and implement that...but it makes me a bit dizzy, with all the planning and projects. We stopped with it because my boys weren’t actually doing the projects. More like watching mom do the projects! If there is a better way to implement virtue training, shout it out!

my son wants to use Bookshark love 5, and is excited to switch things up. I’m oscillating back and fourth. 2020-21 will be year 8 (!!!) for me, so I definitely don’t *need* a box, but I am burned out and don’t want to plan. I also have ALL (well, basically🤣) the curriculum, so it’s kind of hard to justify the Bookshark expense. As you can tell, I’m a mess! 

some sort of typing. 

You sound like me. It’s also year 8 or us. I don’t need a box either, but I work from home and it makes my life easier. It helps me not have to plan and helps them know exactly what is expected of them. Win, win for us. Lol!

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 8:13 PM, Hallyv said:

My 4th & last child will be in 5th grade, & I am struggling with what to do with her next year. 

Math: CLE 500’s

LA: ?? possibly TGTB level 5 with CAP W&R 5

History: TGTB history (finish year 2, start 3)

Bible: KIds Small Group study

Science: ?? She loves science & all things animals. She keeps her own Science journal of facts. She has learned so much doing this on her own that I haven’t bought a formal curriculum for her. She has been asking to use her microscope more.... maybe something on cells/biology?? 

We also have Some Beautiful Feet Guides we might throw in the mix; History of the Horse, Geography Through Lit, Around The World With Picture Books

Extras:  swimming, art, cooking 

My girl also LOVES animals and has been doing her own studies lately (check out pile of library books - read book and write short report). They enjoyed the The Good and Beautiful Marine Biology last semester and they have a mammals unit that is supposed to be coming out next month. She is really enjoying doing her own thing but also says she'd like to do more of those.

I asked dd and she says she wants to do American History, so I've got some research to do. I plan on her and dd3 (2nd) working together for history. I'd love something like Story of the World but there is nothing quite like that for American History.

• Like 2

I’m in the thick of planning for my upcoming 5th grader.  He’s my ASD kiddo and very asynchronous.  I’m using multiple resources for everything, not because we’re trying to do it all but because I’ve found I have to dip in and out of various approaches to make things work for him.  I’m hoping to mix things up this year, play to his strengths and bring some hands-on fun back to our learning.

Math: continue on with MUS, most likely Delta and Epsilon, this is an area where we’ve slowed down and we’re just doing what works, throwing in LOF and Right Start games each week

Language Arts: Dictation Day by Day, MCT grammar and vocabulary, Writing Strands, a few Brave Writer style projects, and using Story Grammar Marker to continue remediating narrative skills

History: 2 streams of history M/W/F we’ll do world history ancients using A Picturesque Tale of Progress as our main spine and pull in activities from SOTW, Konos, etc T/TH we’ll continue on with American history from the time of the Revolutionary War

Science: living science books, some fun experiment books and KONOS activities, leaning towards physics and astronomy focus this year

Geography: SCM visits to North America

Literature: Retellings of the Iliad and Odyssey by Sutcliff or Colum, selections from My Book House, a Shakespeare play 

Continue on with typing.com

He will continue working on scratch coding and lego boost coding in his free time. Looking into lego league mindstorms as well. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this some more. Dd9 is a diligent worker and a people pleaser. She very rarely ever gives me anything to worry about. Her oldest brother calls her the perfect child. No such thing, but she shows well compared to Dd5, who is not a people pleaser. LOL She has been wistful this year sometimes as Dd5 has done projects with me for FIAR. Dd9 still craves spending time with me. I do include her in the projects when she wants to participate, but then she feels like she didn't do a good job if she didn't finish her own list that day. Plus, she likes projects but she wants to do real things. Things it would be hard for her 5 year old sister to do. She likes to cook and bake, for example.

I want to do more project based work with her, probably based on her literature books. I think it would be fairly easy to line up FIAR books, so the girls could be doing similar things at their skill levels. Say, Where the Red Fern Grows with The Rag Coat. Different locations but some similar themes. Dd9 could make a lap quilt. Dd5 could make a design out of scrapbooking paper. Or, The Secret Garden and Peter Rabbit. We could do that one in the spring. They could both start some plants indoors and then make a little garden when it is warm enough. We generally take several weeks per book with FIAR, so I'd pair one or two FIAR books with Dd9's books.

Things she would do daily for about 3 hours:

Math: Saxon 7/6
Language Arts: R & S 5, W & R Books 4 and 5, AAS 6, read from her book on the VP booklist
Bible: Veritas Press

Latin: Latin for Children B

Things she would do only on set days for a total of 2-3 hours:

Literature projects
Science: I did ask the parents of two of her friends if they wanted to do it with her, and they did. So one afternoon each week, we will do anatomy or forensics projects. Two days each week, she will read and discuss the book.
Geography: Various materials, but primarily Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World with Art.
Spanish: Duolingo

If I do this, it will have her doing something more active with either me or her friends every day.  I will have to see how things look for the other kids before I commit to this plan, since it would take quite a bit of my time.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, soror said:

My girl also LOVES animals and has been doing her own studies lately (check out pile of library books - read book and write short report). They enjoyed the The Good and Beautiful Marine Biology last semester and they have a mammals unit that is supposed to be coming out next month.

I saw that from tgtb. You will have to let me know what you think of it if you use it. On a whim last night I bought Sonlight Science D’s pack. Some of the books I was thinking of using already so It seemed to be a good package. It touches on Biology, Taxonomy, and Human Anatomy.... we shall see! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hallyv said:

I saw that from tgtb. You will have to let me know what you think of it if you use it. On a whim last night I bought Sonlight Science D’s pack. Some of the books I was thinking of using already so It seemed to be a good package. It touches on Biology, Taxonomy, and Human Anatomy.... we shall see! 

Hope it works well for her, I've considered SL science a few times but never pulled the trigger. I know we enjoyed the Marine Animals so assuming we'll enjoy mammals too, we'll see.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Simply Charlotte Mason for most subjects 

history: Beautiful Feet, supplemented with SCM’s ancient guides

SCM’s Enrichment 2 guide for literature, fine arts, etc

language arts: Spelling Wisdom/Using Language Well Book 1, 2nd half

math: MUS Delta

science: R&S 5

Spanish:  The Learnables 

Latin: Minimus Secondus

Edited by Holly
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I will have 2 5th graders next year:

dd10/1 

BSGFAA

MM 5

LA: 

WR Books 3-4

IEW Fix It Book 2

Apples and Pears

VP SP MARR

Crosswire Science/GR units

dd10/2

BSGFAA

Math ????

LA: 

WR Books 3-4

IEW Fix It Book 2

MegaWords 1-2

VP SP MARR

Crosswire Science/GR units

• Like 1

This is what I’m thinking:

Bible: Starting Strong
Math: Singapore Math 5A/5B, Life of Fred (Kidneys—Liver)
Handwriting: Can-Do Cursive
Spelling: All About Spelling 5
Writing: W&R through Schole Academy
Geography: BF Geography
History: Story of the World 4
Science: The Elements, Mystery Science

Where I’m having trouble is with reading and grammar. I feel SO drawn to Lightning Lit 4. Using it for reading and grammar (skipping composition) would really satisfy my desire to SIMPLIFY next year. But DS is just now starting to read for pleasure. I worry assigning so many books might backfire. So we might do interest-led reading instead, plus something like Fix It Grammar or Editor in Chief.

ETA: He’ll also continue homeschool PE class and piano lessons.
Edited by blendergal

Math: CTC Math

Writing: WriteShop E

Grammar: Fix It Grammar

Tea & Books: Canadian History, Weather, Human Body & Insects, Poetry

Extras: Draw Your World, Art, Logic Puzzles, Nature Study

We are eclectic semi-relaxed homeschoolers.

• Like 1

My youngest will be in 5th Grade for the 20-21 year, so....

Bible: Apologia's Who is God?--We'll try this out together-it might be too young, but we got it from a friend.
Math: Hands on Equations then Everyday Math workbooks (free online) and Zaccaro's Challenge Math
Language Arts: Evan Moor's Grammar and Punctutation 5 & 6; Dynamic Literacy; Mosdos Coral; Read Alouds with mom and big brother
History: History of Inventions Notebooking and research
Geography: Seterra and Sheppard Software online quizes
Science: NASA's Rocket Science-history and Experiments
Extras: Gotta Think; Famous Classical Music pieces; typer island; scratch; 

We school from Jan-October, so my kiddo won't begin 5th grade until January, but I wanted to play along anyway. He'll actually be in a combination of grades 4 & 5

BIBLE: Apologia's Who is God + daily devotionals that make emphasis on our relationship with Jesus and who we are in Him

GRAMMAR: Grammar Galaxy + G.U.M. Drops 

WRITING: Essentials in Writing (EIW) level 3

HANDWRITING: TG&TB Handwriting level 4

SPELLING: Sequential Spelling

READING: independent reading + discussions -- no formal literary analysis.

LITERATURE: read alouds from an ever-growing list of books I've pieced together

MATH: Teaching Textbooks levels 5 & 6

SCIENCE: finish up Mystery Scienceinterest-led learning (dinosaurs, the human body & health, and weather/natural disaster/survivalism are in the plans thus far)

HISTORY/SOCIAL/GEO/CULTURAL: also interest-led, though I am considering using Curiosity Chronicles.
For now, we're planning on continuing with a mashup of ancients & American history, using a variety of sources (BYL booklist, documentaries/docuseries/films/TV/crash course) + art notebooking the most significant or interesting parts. 

ART: watercolor & drawing course at home

MUSIC: continue piano lessons & general music appreciation

Edited by Erielle

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I've got so far...

Bible:  BSGFAA (maybe....trying to find something different)

Math:  CLE 5, plus Evan Moor Daily Word Problems Grade 5

Writing:  Going to try some classes through Lantern English Co. (if that doesn't work out, we'll go back to Writing & Rhetoric)

Literature:  Readers/Read alouds from BYL 5

Spelling:  MegaWords, Books 1 & 2

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 3000 Book 5

Grammar:  IEW Fix It Grammar Book 1

Science:  GuestHollow Junior Anatomy

History:  Veritas Press Self-paced course...Explorers to 1815

Geography:  Complete Book of Maps & Geography  

Extras:  Weekly co-op and MMA class

Edited by Vintage81

• 4 weeks later...

We are homeschooling again after 1.5 of PS, so these plans are very fluid!

We are going to start off with BYL Evolution Unit to ease into things

BW Arrows and Partnership writing

Singapore for DD

BA & Jousting Armadillos for DS

Horrible Histories and interest led

Still need science, thinking maybe RSO Biology

Music lessons

HSA Spanish

Random out school classes

On 1/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, MDL said:

some sort of typing. 

I keep looking at Bookshark too. I have a bunch of stuff from older DS so I can't justify it either. I might do the science package instead of RSO

I feel like everything is kind of up in the air, as I have no idea whether our co-op will actually be able to meet this year.  We will see what happens, I guess.  

Math:

• Math Mammoth 5
  • Teaching Textbooks 5 and begin 6 as independent work in the evenings.  

Science:

• Masterbooks Life Science (with our Co-Op)

History:

• Joy Hakim's A History of US series
  • Review of Presidents and States/Capitals
  • Listen to Story of the World 3 and 4
  • Listen in on some of his sister's stuff from Masterbooks' American History
  • Literature to coincide with American History unit.  Still finalizing this.

Language Arts:

• Jr Analytical Grammar & JAG Mechanics
  • Megawords 1, I believe.
  • IEW SWI Level B with his 7th grade sister.  I will modify as necessary for him.
  • Literature - History based, as mentioned above.

Foreign Language:

• Spanish (With co-op)

Extracurriculars:

• Lacrosse

Not sure what I'm going to do.  Homeschooled this kid for 3rd, he was back in school for 4th, now back with me. 

Need to figure out math--as he needs a spiral program, and his school got way behind last year during Covid.  Math Mammoth has been my go-to, but not the right curriculum for him as not spiral. Horizon? Saxon 5/4? Christian Light (used in 3rd grade).  I have no idea.

English. Will continue with Sequential Spelling.  May start him with IEW, but also looking at The Paragraph Book Series. Have IEW's Fix It Grammar and Shurley. Not sure if I'm up for Shurley this year. 

We will read. What? I'm not sure yet. 🙂

History Have Oak Meadow 5th grade history, so for now, that's what I'm planning. Could easily change.

Science Have Apologia Astronomy and most of supplies for labs from elder siblings. May use.  Not sure. 

Handwriting Will continue with HWOT's cursive program

Music Taking violin.

Will continue with Webelos. Troop meeting online right now.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

I mostly lurk on this forum and glean from y'all's experience and wisdom but I thought I'd hop in on this thread. Feel free to give feedback. 

Our oldest is in 5th this school year. I always feel unsure of my plans for him vs his younger siblings because he's our first.  DS is a loquacious, artistic, passionate human. Academics have never been hard for him. Therefore, whenever he has to put in basic extra effort for something new, he feels defeated. It's a thing but we're learning ways to help him navigate his self-defeat while also giving him appropriate and needed affirmation. As someone who had significant learning hurdles during elementary and middle school, it's eye opening to see we can all feel inadequate, even when we're doing great. Anyway, here's the current plan and what he's (we've 😁) accomplished thus far in his education.

Tapestry of Grace Yr 1 (History, Literature, Bible, Geography, Fine arts) - We're starting our second cycle through TOG and the kids are super excited to do ancients again. For additional geography we'll be doing Geography Songs as part of our family learning time and DS will be doing Map Asia 1. He has already memorized several songs from Geography Songs and is completing Draw Europe. 

Catechism & Scripture Memory

W&R Bks 3&4 - We started this mid year and he's completed Bk 1 and we're working on Bk 2. I really love the writing in this curriculum! It's enjoyable for us both and not remotely dry. It's his first formal writing instruction and he's already showing growth. In the future I might switch us to TOG's Writing Aids but for now, W&R is serving us well. 

R&S Spelling 5 - He's completed AAS 1-4. He's pretty much a natural speller (unlike his mama). I'm not sure how much longer we'll do formal spelling vs pulling spelling words from his writing assignments.

Fix It Bk 2 - He's completed FLL 1-3 and Fix It Bk 1. He's enjoying the format of Fix-It so we're sticking with it.

Handwriting - still deciding. It 's bizarre that this is the subject that always gives me angst. Primarily, I find the cost of most handwriting books outrageous. He can already write well in script and cursive and, when he so chooses, it looks good too. 

MUS Epsilon - He's completed Primer - Gamma and is wrapping up Delta. 

Multiplication Facts That Stick & Division Facts That Stick as fun review and reinforcement.

Finish Science in the Beginning and do Science in the Ancient World with note booking. He's completed Evan-Moor Daily Science Gr 1-4 (I don't love this series). I really love Dr Wile's approach in his elementary science curriculum. We had a lot of fun doing some last year. I hope to prioritize it this year. 

Nature Reader bk 4 - He's just working his way through the series.

Art classes with private teacher and brothers - pencils and watercolor. We've been able to do this a couple of years. If Covid prevents it this fall I think we'll attempt Draw Squad and maybe monthly Let's Make Art videos on YT. 

Hoffman Academy + mom for piano and music theory.

Water polo and swimming if the pool is allowed to reopen and the team is allowed practice. If not, we may have to set up some kind of home workout routine. 

I'm beginning to wonder if it's time to start MP First Form Latin. Does anyone have feedback on this? I've read a few threads here and it seems to be highly regarded as a solid, well-paced, program for parents who aren't confident in the subject. DS's been introduced to Latin via SSL 1 years ago and they still listen to the CD occasionally or watch the DVD. I know long term, Latin in is our education plan I'm just not sure when or how to start. I have no background in Latin. DH took Latin in college. If we do MP First Form Latin I'll probably go with the companion cursive handwriting for him. It's more than I prefer to spend but I think he would really enjoy the content.   

On 7/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, umsami said:

Not sure what I'm going to do.  Homeschooled this kid for 3rd, he was back in school for 4th, now back with me. 

Need to figure out math--as he needs a spiral program, and his school got way behind last year during Covid.  Math Mammoth has been my go-to, but not the right curriculum for him as not spiral. Horizon? Saxon 5/4? Christian Light (used in 3rd grade).  I have no idea.

English. Will continue with Sequential Spelling.  May start him with IEW, but also looking at The Paragraph Book Series. Have IEW's Fix It Grammar and Shurley. Not sure if I'm up for Shurley this year. 

We will read. What? I'm not sure yet. 🙂

History Have Oak Meadow 5th grade history, so for now, that's what I'm planning. Could easily change.

Science Have Apologia Astronomy and most of supplies for labs from elder siblings. May use.  Not sure. 

Handwriting Will continue with HWOT's cursive program

Music Taking violin.

Will continue with Webelos. Troop meeting online right now.

Quoting myself. After a bunch of searching, I ended up going with BJU's Online Math 5 program... and it is really working well for us so far. The lectures are well done.

My 5th grader loves the pilot/aviation tie in.  We've only used a few manipulatives but they seem to reinforce things well.  This seems like a good spiral program for him.  They 

also have an additional fact practice website.

I'm thinking about their 5th grade English as this is working so well... but the lectures do not seem as well done...and the weird bunny puppet seems babyish.

First year home schooling since my daughter was in 1st grade! We did remote learning with her school last spring, and it was awful. They have full-time remote schooling this year, but I decided we should just go off on our own. 

It's great to be back...although we wouldn't have done this if circumstances were different. She loves our PS so much. But I've seen real issues in her foundational writing and literature analysis skills, so along with the danger factor I know this is the right move for us, at least for this year.

Anyway...I only firmed up my decision last weekend, and now I'm looking at all the possibilities she wasn't old enough for last time I was curriculum shopping! She has a hard time focusing unless she's fully engaged, so I think as the year goes on I'm going to have to give her a lot more freedom in planning, and we may move away from formal curriculum for writing and history most days. Tentative plans are:

Writing: IEW S&S (This is where she needs the most help, so I want her to have a solid curriculum that builds slowly.

Math: BA Online 5 (She's finishing 4 online now.)

Reading: Interest driven, but with a lot of discussion, hopefully project based learning stemming from her reading, if I can swing it.

Science: I'm debating between Mr. Q and RSO

History: I have no idea...She has no interest in it, so I'll need to find something that's actually fun and engaging or she'll balk. I may end up just doing videos and discussions.

She does crafts/building etc. almost daily, so that will count for art.

So hard not having our community, she's an only, and misses other kids so much. That will be the most difficult part of this, I know.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

My baby will be a 5th grader next yr. It really is hard for me to believe. She turned 10 at Christmas. I no longer have any single digit kids and I have 6 adult children!!! (That is hard to process. 🙂 )

But nothing to add in terms of plans. No idea, yet. I'm having a hard enough time getting back into this yr after Christmas break.

We started back to school at the beginning of July.   Here is what she is studying:

American history (this is her first time every studying American history)

Science: 1st 6 weeks is a human body study; we haven't made plans beyond that, yet.

Literature/Composition: for the first time in yrs, our reading is connected to history.  She is reading through a long list of American-based historical fiction; writing will be across curriculum.

Math: MUS alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-geo

Russian: She is super excited about this one! (It has bumped Latin out of her schedule.)

Shakespeare study: This was completely unplanned.  I got How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare from the library after the memorization thread and his enthusiasm sucked me in.  I am putting together a study for my 3rd and 4th grade grandkids to do with my 5th grader.  I am excited about this one.  We are just going to have fun with it.

Violin and religion are our daily routine

• Like 1

We are doing 

Language Arts: TGTB, also, I have been adding in CAP W&R

Math: Singapore Math

History: tons of books, focusing on US History and geography this year

Science: Mystery Science as well as some other things I have. We do a ton of science. I just follow whatever is of interest at the time. Since we just got a new puppy, I might curtail that in to an animal study, and focus on dogs. I can milk this for so much..everything from nutrition to anatomy to behavior.

Latin: GSWL 

PE: Ninja Warrior

extra: we always do a few composer and artists studies at various times in the year. These often get picked according to what art museums and free local symphonies are doing.

Edited by Janeway

Finally getting things figured out and ordered!

Math:  CLE 5

LA: Script n Scribe, Spelling Workout, deciding on grammar, stack of books.

History: A Child's Story of America with written narrations

Science: CLE 5

Geography: Paddle to the Sea, Draw the World, Seterra

Shakespeare story study, not sure what we're using, she asked to do it.

Typing: Mavis Beacon

Family studies: Bible with Dad, SCM enrichment, Modern history booklist, Our Constitution Rocks

Piano