Menu

Something to Read presents?

Terabith

Been trying to do the something you want/ need/ wear/ read gift things.  Need to fill in some stuff.  16 year old:  Want:  stuffed octopus and a gift certificate to a sensory deprivation tank.  Need:  new set of sheets and comforter for bed.  Wear:  hoodie.  Don't have anything for read.  14 year old:  Want:  a stuffed dog and a dragon themed throw blanket (too small to really be effective as a blanket but cute).  Need:  a set of sheets.  Wear:  two pairs of pajamas and two tshirts.  Again, nothing to read.  

I also have a pair of socks, some candy, and cookie cutters (a dragon for 14 year old, cat cookie cutters for 16 year old) for stockings.  

Any brilliant book/ reading ideas?  Or should we just call it good?

I’ve wondered about a DBT or CBT book about dealing with anxiety for my oldest.  Or possibly a Tarot deck for stocking.  She said something about being interested in that, and she’s struggling with anxiety and depression.  Or one of those adult coloring books might be relaxing.  

Pondering for my 14 year old.  She has a ton of d&d books.  She isn’t reading a lot right now.   She’s really good at visual puzzles.  Wondered about tanagrams or something for stocking.  Trying to think of something she’d enjoy reading.  She likes reading but mostly we just use the library. 

I sometimes give my kids an issue of a magazine related to an interest of theirs, with the offer that if they like it, I'll pay for a subscription. So, they get something to read now and maybe something to read all year.

One of my kids is not much of a reader, so I don't buy books for that one. The other has a wide range of interests, so I usually can buy something that seems like it will suit, though honestly since I don't ask about books once I give them, if I don't see the kid reading it, I never know if it even got read. 

• Like 1

One dd is getting a book about brave dogs that served in various wars.  A ds getting a book on WW2 and another on stamp collecting.  Another DS getting the Lord of the Rings series, a Jeff Shaara book, and maybe a book on yo-yo tricks.

what are their interests?  Mine are never short on books for their list.

No sage advice here because I walked through Barnes and Noble, ended up buying stuff for me 😉

If you give a gift card, the sales are amazing after Christmas.  You mentioned the card set, and last year I was able to pick up a lot of games dirt cheap on sale.  Dd16 scoured the sale bins and found some pretty good stuff that we never saw out on the shelves (maybe online returns).

Dd16 Upward Spiral   Korb Book

or maybe Happiness is a Choice  Kaufman 

I’d avoid Tarot personally — could add to obsessing or depression if “negative “ or “death” cards come up

dd14 something that can combine a book and room to color?  Like a botany coloring book? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Part of the problem is we have SO many books.  I mean, really, a staggering number of books.  And we use the library a lot.  Some good ideas though, including a Barnes and Noble card....

Same here!  I’m trying to purge books!

Last year I put a few books in stockings which turned out helpful during an extended power outage .  Otherwise it seems like, alas, electronics are used more.

Would an Audible or Kindle unlimited subscription or Something like that be  more used take up less space?

Or there’s no reason you have to have a “something to read” gift.  I mean it’s a nice rhyme, but if it doesn’t fit your lives, it doesn’t! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

Same here!  I’m trying to purge books!

Last year I put a few books in stockings which turned out helpful during an extended power outage .  Otherwise it seems like, alas, electronics are used more.

Would an Audible or Kindle unlimited subscription or Something like that be  more used take up less space?

Or there’s no reason you have to have a “something to read” gift.  I mean it’s a nice rhyme, but if it doesn’t fit your lives, it doesn’t! 

I have to say, electronics tend to get used more than books, but mostly they aren't reading books on them.  All of us prefer to read books printed on paper.  I have one kid who reads a staggering amount of fan fiction online, however.  But frankly, we're mostly getting rid of books.  So maybe we won't do it this year, although that seems a little sad.  Maybe I'll think about stocking gifts instead.  

I gave paint-by-sticker books to the younger cousins this year and they were a huge hit. They make more difficult/adult versions, but even the simpler ones are relaxing and turn out really pretty. Similar in vein to the adult coloring books, but even easier because all you need is in the book. 

https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Sticker-Create-Masterpieces-Time/dp/0761187235/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=paint+by+sticker+adult&qid=1576979818&sr=8-1