Menu

Will you eat a gifted plate of cookies?

SamanthaCarter

Until I read that potluck thread, it never occurred to me that others would not eat/like a tin of homemade cookies unless there was a critical reason like allergies or religious observance. 

When I take my tax paperwork over to my accountant’s office, I bring a tin of homemade cookies for them to share at the office. They work themselves to death that time of year and I am *imagining* they all really appreciate it unless they cannot eat them. 

I hope I’m right about that...

• Like 2

I probably would, and my family would as well unless we were aware of cleanliness issues.

Apparently, quite a few people don't. We recently attended a potluck dessert. There were two home-made cake bar pans, including mine. The rest of the contributions were store-bought - doughnuts, chocolate cake, danishes, munchkins, etc. All the store-bought goodies were eaten, and the home-made remained untouched except for what my kids and one other person took. I thought it was interesting in the light of this thread.

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Sad 4

11 hours ago, maize said:

I ate a berry from a tree last year that I was almost certain seemed familiar but wasn't able to positively identify until we got home. My kids thought I was setting a terrible example (it was a serviceberry, perfectly safe. And it was familiar because I have serviceberries in my yard, I just hadn't seen the tree varieties before; ours are shrubs).

There aren't really many good tasting poisonous tree berries that will kill you if you ingest just one though. I can't guarantee that they don't exist anywhere in the world, but really there aren't any locally.

Mushrooms now are infamous for being difficult to distinguish poisonous from not poisonous, I do not forage mushrooms.M

I was reading an article about the spread of a deadly form of mushrooms this week.  They apparently taste delicious.  And apparently, one can taste them and spit them out and wash out their mouth and be okay.  But eating them leads to things like liver transplants or death.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

I probably would, and my family would as well unless we were aware of cleanliness issues.

Apparently, quite a few people don't. We recently attended a potluck dessert. There were two home-made cake bar pans, including mine. The rest of the contributions were store-bought - doughnuts, chocolate cake, danishes, munchkins, etc. All the store-bought goodies were eaten, and the home-made remained untouched except for what my kids and one other person took. I thought it was interesting in the light of this thread.

What the heck?!? That is just wrong. 😞 

I would have happily eaten your bars. I would eat them now if you could teleport them my way. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MercyA said:

What the heck?!? That is just wrong. 😞 

I would have happily eaten your bars. I would eat them now if you could teleport them my way. 🙂 

Yes! I would rather eat anything homemade over store bought unless I know for a fact that the person is not cleaning their dishes after the dog licked them.

At my office people have brought gallons of homemade chicken soup and it's gone within an hour.  Nobody I know would refuse it.  🙂

Oh,  Samantha, if you have leftovers, feel free to send them to me. 

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

On 12/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, SamanthaCarter said:

My girls were eager to assemble cookie plates for all of the neighbors on our (short) street today. While we were baking and assembling, I couldn’t help but wonder how much would end up in the trash. Based on the potluck thread. I didn’t say anything to the girls, but would you eat a dozen assorted homemade cookies from neighbors? Is this not appreciated or worth our time? 

Wait...you mean home-baked cookies that someone gives me? Sure.

We would eat them!  We are actually preparing plates to take around this afternoon--ginger snaps, Andes mint cookies, peppermint bark, and fudge (no nuts).  We just moved here in early November, so we are hoping to make a good impression on the neighbors we haven't met yet.  I'm including a Christmas card with all our names and a picture, just so people can hopefully not be overwhelmed by how many of us there are.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Did you move in town or did the air force move you further away?  That’s a great idea to use the Christmas card/cookie combo to meet the neighbors! 

Just local!  We moved out of the tiny tornado-struck tri-level north of 35 to a much larger house south of 35.  We moved in November, which I do NOT recommend, lol--right before the holidays, and school is still in full swing, so all the regular stuff is still going on.  November was a crazy month!  But it is SO nice to once again feel like we all actually fit in the house.  We're still having tornado damage being fixed at the other house, and then we'll hopefully rent it out, which was our original plan when we moved there summer of 2018 from VA.

We delivered our plates of goodies to 5 neighbor families this afternoon!  They were *very* well-received.  A lot of our neighbors are getting elderly (original owners who built here 27 years ago), and they really enjoyed having us stop by and visit for awhile.  It was really fun to chat!  I was really worried when we moved in here, because it seemed like a really quiet, possibly pretentious neighborhood, full of retirees, and I didn't know how our 10 kids would be received.  But it turns out that the guy who we bought from was a crabby mean guy who always reminded people that not only had he been an Air Force officer, he was also an attorney (woo-hoo, give the guy a medal), and everyone has pretty much been uniformly delighted that he is gone!  So huge win there for us!  😁 Oh, and everyone seemed very happy to receive the plate of goodies!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don’t understand this fixation on “cleanliness” of the bakers/ baking process. Does everyone have compromised immune systems?  I have one (though less so now that I am on an immunoregulator) and normal  bodies can handle most germs just fine.  I doubt that most home bakers are dealing with extreme filth.

I am in the camp of not eating food prepared by others unless I "know" your kitchen. Do I think I will get terribly sick?  No. Do I find some things incredibly gross and don't want to think about it while eating? Yep.  I don't see anything offensive about it.

For full disclosure - I am fully aware how gross commercial kitchens can be and yet I love eating out. So, it's one of those times where I am being a hypocrite.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:50 AM, parent said:

Also, all the people I know who have picked mushrooms say you have to soak in either salt water or lemon juice so the worms come out.  One lady told me they did this with saltwater in a bucket of mushrooms and the top surface was completely covered with worms.  Kind of lowered my interest.

Huh? Nobody I know soaks their mushrooms. You pick fresh ones, not the huge wormy ones. Cut away the parts that had worm holes, if there are any, and then cook them. Soaking them makes them soggy and gives them a gross texture. And seriously, if I fry them, a worm that was so tiny that I overlooked it is not going to hurt. But then, I am not vegan.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Huh? Nobody I know soaks their mushrooms. You pick fresh ones, not the huge wormy ones. Cut away the parts that had worm holes, if there are any, and then cook them. Soaking them makes them soggy and gives them a gross texture. And seriously, if I fry them, a worm that was so tiny that I overlooked it is not going to hurt. But then, I am not vegan.

Morels need to be soaked. They are covered in tiny crevices that tend to be full of bugs.