Menu

Healthy routine for chronic constipation?

Acadie

Read no further if you can't handle potty talk 🙂 Also, given my medical history, I need tips beyond just increasing fluids and fiber.

Background: I had nerve damage with my first pregnancy, and despite plentiful fluids, veggies and fruit have needed daily magnesium or fiber supplements ever since. What worked for years was magnesium supplements. But recently with perimenopause, and switching to eggs most days for breakfast in an attempt to go lower carb, my symptoms have gotten much worse. I doubled my dosage of mag but it's clear I need to step up daily management, and also have options on hand for acute symptoms short term. 

If, like me, you're an overachiever in the constipation department, talk to me about your daily routine. I know I could be more intentional about my breakfast, hot beverages and exercise in the morning to support bowel health, but haven't figured out the magic combination yet. No detail is too small in terms of dosage, timing, sequence etc. Hoping to avoid stimulant laxatives except for the rarest necessity.

That said, how do you handle acute symptoms? Travel or other changes to your routine?

I'm also interested in the impact of various strategies on carb intake and gut health, since I'd like to go lower carb and improve my gut flora at the same time.

Thanks,

Amy

Coffee first thing in the morning, lots of it.

Bran flakes—Kelloggs brand is pretty good.

Personally I can’t take Mg but I soak in Epsom salts while is gentler.

Taking extreme care not to get dehydrated, especially when undergoing a dietary change due to travel.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

I don't have this issue acutely... more like when I travel or tied to my cycle. But I have found that snacking on dried apricots has helped me a lot. I've never been able to get with the prunes. I keep a bag in the kitchen and they're one of my go to snacks, so I have a few nearly every day. When I travel, I take some and eat them for breakfast. 

• Like 2

Had a hortible bout w this during the summer when eating Keto-style. I was physically ill from it for two days (not keto flu, was def constipation). So I feel ya. 

Lots of coffee and lots of water, broth, limited but definitely there fruit (fructose helps), and not too many NSAIDS. 

• Like 1

If you want to learn more about gut health, especially the microbiome, check out Justin and Erica Sonnenburg's book The Good Gut. They are husband and wife researchers who run a lab at Stanford where they study the microbiome.

There are many things you could try:

1. Fasting. A one-day mouse fast is the equivalent of about 3 days for a human but even one human day would likely have a good effect. As a bonus, you go quickly into ketosis with a fast.

http://news.mit.edu/2019/ketones-stem-cell-intestine-0822

http://news.mit.edu/2018/fasting-boosts-stem-cells-regenerative-capacity-0503

2. Tracking inulin -- prebiotic fiber that probiotics eat in your intestine -- and adding more if necessary. Start with small amounts, though.

3. Eating only the egg yolks at breakfast.

4. Coffee helps some people but in others, such as those with IBS, it can wreak havoc.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 2

I have not had this problem since becoming a vegetarian several years ago, but if you are getting plenty of fiber foods and daily exercise I would wonder if there is a different kind of underlying cause for your constipation. Pain meds are know to cause this issue in many people. Is it possible a medication is causing the problem?  Perhaps a food intolerance?  My son had terrible bouts of constipation followed by diarrhea before we did food allergy testing. Turns out he was eating foods every day that he was allergic or sensitive to that kept his digestive track in turmoil. Once he removed those from his diet, the constipation went away. Also, have you removed common constipation causing foods like cheese?  Maybe increase your exercise?  If fiber foods and exercise don’t get things moving along, it might be time to mention it to your doctor.

Sorry you are struggling with this. After watching my son for so many months, I know how painful and frustrating it can be. Best of luck in finding a remedy soon. 

• Like 1

Are you seeing such benefits from low-carb that it's worth increased constipation?  In your shoes I'd try a serving of steel cut oats daily with a bit of dried fruit in it.  I'd also work in a morning walk and relegate my low-carbness to the rest of the day. It's worth trying it for a week.  

• Like 3

Lots of water

Coffee and rolled oats in the morning, then at least 30 minutes of relaxed time (If I have to do places too soon after breakie then forget having a bowel movt)

Prunes are the devil. Too much gas build up for me

Metamucil = Good, Benefibre = Bad (some ingredient can add to gas build up)

Go all or partial low FODMAP

Walk daily

• Like 1

Thanks so much for these great ideas--lots of things to try, many of which are new to me. Always interesting that what works for some (prunes!) may not work for another (prunes). 

On 12/3/2019 at 11:48 AM, Laura Corin said:

I have found that standing has made a difference.  I now have a sit-stand desk and typically stand for four hours a day.

This positioning also helps: https://www.evidentlycochrane.net/feet-up-constipation/

I was thinking of getting a sit/stand desk for other reasons, and this just clinched it!

20 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Do you know how to open your ileocecal valve?

I do not! Googling yielded articles and videos on both opening and closing--let me know if there's anything in particular I should know about this.

11 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I do not! Googling yielded articles and videos on both opening and closing--let me know if there's anything in particular I should know about this.

So you can take a shower and massage your ICV and open it up. When I had troubles, the massage therapist taught me to do it. That and drink a glass of hot water to get things moving. It can be kind of a routine, what you do each morning or each night before bed. Now don't accidentally *shut* it in the morning, lol. 

There's some talk of using interoception to build awareness in that area. The body can sometimes make new wires and pathways. That would be a total, total longshot, but you could see if you could develop more awareness and rebuild the pathways. I don't know if it would work or not.

• Like 1

Raisins and oatmeal. I like raisins because I can easily throw a pack or two into my purse for snacking on days when I'm away from home and my routine. I also use a half dose of Miralax dissolved in hot herbal tea every evening, although you said you wanted to stay away from that type of stuff.

Fiber One bars when it gets really bad and I need relief fast.

• Like 1

My son had childhood encopresis paired with a possible toileting delay.  He has to routinely go and sit on the toilet 15 mins after breakfast and dinner.  This along with lax sachets from age 4 to 11 has mostly controlled it.  He is still not that aware of his bowels though compared with most people.  

It is not the same except the nerve damage but toileting routine can help.

• Like 1

Both  of my girls have slow motility issues. They take Miralax to draw moisture into the colon.  Do you know why you have constipation? Is it just nerved damage? Knowing that can help streamline a treatment. For my girls, fiber and laxatives aren't going to help. Laxatives may trigger a bm,  but it will be miserable!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tap said:

Both  of my girls have slow motility issues. They take Miralax to draw moisture into the colon.  Do you know why you have constipation? Is it just nerved damage? Knowing that can help streamline a treatment. For my girls, fiber and laxatives aren't going to help. Laxatives may trigger a bm,  but it will be miserable!

After I was diagnosed with nerve damage the doctor said he'd see me again around menopause. The hormonal changes of menopause often cause bowel changes in women, and I'm attributing my current issues to perimenopause and a slightly more sedentary lifestyle now that my youngest is in school, on top of the nerve damage. 

More generally, my kids are all in high school, and it's time to focus more on taking care of myself. 

Edited by Acadie