Menu

2019 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here..

Kareni

I found a bunch of stuff for dd on redbubble.   She's into DanganRompa now and there's not much available on Amazon or other places.   She always gets into a fandom before it becomes super popular, then right when items start really becoming available widely, she switches.  

Ds is easier, he's still into Pokemon.  When he was little, Pokemen was in a lull and hard to find.  Now it's everywhere.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SusanC said:

What do you think they mean in the "Waterproofing" picture for that watch? "This table has a super waterproof function, can be properly washed and wash their lives and other water."

(Curiously, I don't see the quote on the linked page.) I suspect that their translation device has some serious issues!

11 hours ago, Bambam said:

For the always prepared members of your family and friend group, check out this Cache cap (cache beanie is already sold out!). 

https://wazoosurvivalgear.com/collections/hats/products/cache-cap

That's quite nifty, Bambam! My daughter often used to carry a stash of tissues in her hat, but this looks a lot neater.

Regards,

Kareni

On 11/29/2019 at 7:39 AM, Where's Toto? said:

I found a bunch of stuff for dd on redbubble.   She's into DanganRompa now and there's not much available on Amazon or other places.   She always gets into a fandom before it becomes super popular, then right when items start really becoming available widely, she switches.  

Ds is easier, he's still into Pokemon.  When he was little, Pokemen was in a lull and hard to find.  Now it's everywhere.  

Is this where I admit that I've never heard of DanganRompa?! I'm glad to hear that redbubble is working for you, Where's Toto?.

Regards,

Kareni

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Is where I admit that I've never heard of DanganRompa?! I'm glad to hear that redbubble is working for you, Where's Toto?.

Regards,

Kareni

DanganRompa is an anime style kill game.  Dd likes horror games, they help her with her anxiety for some reason.  I don't think she actually plays the game, she watches videos of the game being played.  Before this she was into Five Nights at Freddy's.  

I would never have heard of it if she wasn't into it.  There are a few items on Amazon and one shirt at Hot Topic for it so it's not totally obscure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Here's a really cool website full of cool models to build, different from any I've seen before.  I ordered two Steam Punk music boxes and two dollhouse components (study and greenhouse).

Those really are out of the ordinary, Monica, and seriously cool. I hope that the recipients enjoy them.

9 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I have a cat-loving kiddo who has always loved Legos. I ran across this and am sorely tempted: https://www.jekca.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=582

Wow, I'm not a Lego fan, and I would be delighted to receive one of those! Thanks for sharing your discovery, alisoncooks.

21 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

DanganRompa is an anime style kill game.  Dd likes horror games, they help her with her anxiety for some reason.  I don't think she actually plays the game, she watches videos of the game being played.  

Thanks so much for the added information, Where's Toto? It's good to know that your daughter has found a tool to help her cope.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, happi duck said:

This brings up a sweet memory for me.  My late dad would give all the grandkids a Christmas gift: a box of granola bars and an envelope with cash...all wrapped in bubble wrap!  

What a lovely memory, happi duck! I imagine your children had great fun with their grandfather's gifts.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 5:58 AM, history-fan said:

Last year there was a thread similar to this and I bought a suggested gift- a "Pun Map" which my English major really enjoys.    https://punmap.com/

Also just bought laptop skins on redbubble. So many to choose from. 

Just ordered a pun map!  Thank you for posting the idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I bought a similar scratch map a couple of years ago, and it wasn't near as nice as it looked. In fact, it looked just like that, only a smaller version. I thought it was such a great idea, but...anyway, just fyi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaybee said:

I bought a similar scratch map a couple of years ago, and it wasn't near as nice as it looked. In fact, it looked just like that, only a smaller version. I thought it was such a great idea, but...anyway, just fyi.

How disappointing, Jaybee. Thanks for passing along your experience. Do you happen to recall if it came from the same company?

Regards,

Kareni

Just now, Jaybee said:

Did you see those other flavored candy canes below the kale ones? Mac and cheese, pizza, lol. It's certainly tempting! I bet they'd be great for a white elephant gift.

I think I'd choose kale over the clam flavored ones! But, I agree that they'd be a fun white elephant gift.

Regards,

Kareni

2 minutes ago, Kareni said:

How disappointing, Jaybee. Thanks for passing along your experience. Do you happen to recall if it came from the same company?

Regards,

Kareni

I just tried to look it up, but I can't find it, so I don't know. It looked just like that, but smaller. The paper bent rather than rolled, and it was hard to scratch off without tearing.

1 minute ago, Jaybee said:

I just tried to look it up, but I can't find it, so I don't know. It looked just like that, but smaller. The paper bent rather than rolled, and it was hard to scratch off without tearing.

Thank you for making that attempt, Jaybee.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

I've purchased several of these solar lights. Kept one to use camping, etc and the rest get sent in gifts to sponsored kids who don't always have electricity.  I heard back from the lamps sent to Honduras that it has made the walk to and from the center nicer in the winter, when it gets darker earlier. They just take their solar lanterns with them and have light to walk home by. It also allows for studying after the chores are done.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I've purchased several of these solar lights. Kept one to use camping, etc and the rest get sent in gifts to sponsored kids who don't always have electricity.  I heard back from the lamps sent to Honduras that it has made the walk to and from the center nicer in the winter, when it gets darker earlier. They just take their solar lanterns with them and have light to walk home by. It also allows for studying after the chores are done.

Thank you for the personal recommendation, vonfirmath; the solar lights sound wonderful.  And what an inspired gift to your sponsored children!

Regards,

Kareni

20 hours ago, Kareni said:

I have several of these - and send one to college dorm room residents. They are useful and last a long time (as long as you keep them charged - we keep them in a window until needed - that way we always know where they are!). They especially came in handy when we lived in hurricane territory (power out for 3 days - 3 weeks). 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bambam said:

I have several of these [MPOWERD Luci - The Original Inflatable Solar Light] -and send one to college dorm room residents. They are useful and last a long time (as long as you keep them charged - we keep them in a window until needed - that way we always know where they are!). They especially came in handy when we lived in hurricane territory (power out for 3 days - 3 weeks). 

They are sounding better and better! Thanks for chiming in, Bambam.

Regards,

Kareni

2 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I goofed and pointed out to dd today that if she REALLY wants to get a great gift for her dad, a kitten would be the thing! Our old, old Manx cat disappeared last week. I don't think we'll see her again--she had to be at least 16. It looks like dd might have found one, but of course, the kitten requires me driving for 6 hours tomorrow. I should have kept my mouth shut! 😉 

Have a safe drive, Margaret! 

...and come back here with a picture....

Regards,

Kareni

2 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

She's not a registered Manx, just tailless. The cat we just lost was not only tailless, but a longhair. Our cousins on a ranch east of us had tailless kittens for years, and up Ohio Creek, they had ones with extra toes! Alas, both strains are gone now. 

I am SO not a cat person, but I have a soft spot for tailless critters--I have an Australian shepherd with a natural nubbin, I adore corgis from afar, etc., so even I think that's pretty cute.  You know, for a cat and all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Plum said:

I got a bird bottle opener as a part of our gift to FIL. He is a knife maker and I don't know how he'll receive it, but dh took a look at it and it feels solid. I thought it was pretty anyway. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Bird-Corkscrew-Oak-Wood/dp/B00IEV79XS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bird+bottle+opener&qid=1575583955&sr=8-1

That's really pretty! I have a little multi-tool from the same company (Kikkerland) that's shaped like a crab

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2019 at 6:35 PM, Margaret in CO said:

It looks like dd might have found one, but of course, the kitten requires me driving for 6 hours tomorrow. 

Jeez! If I don't find a stray kitten just by walking outside of my house, all I have to do is drive 15 minutes to the shelter for an abundance of choices. 

5 of our 6 cats strolled on up to our house requesting food and shelter. The 6th was adopted from the shelter 17 years ago, before we were somehow named Stray Cat Central. 

• Like 6

On 11/29/2019 at 9:24 PM, Stacia said:

... you might also like Society6. I have bought some duvet covers from them, as well as a t-shirt.

society6.com

Some finds at Society6:

She Series Collage 1-4 Poster or cards or many other formats

Llama Riding in Taxi, Black and White Vintage Print Poster or tank top

Shimmery Rainbow Abalone Mother of Pearl Throw Blanket or tote bag

Vintage Scientific Moth Wall Tapestry (this design is available in many other formats such as leggings)

Animal Alphabet Poster

Horned Owl Tote Bag

owls rust All Over Graphic Tee

There are so many wonderful designs! Thanks for recommending the company, Stacia.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Not too long ago, I went to a concert of singer Sarah Aili. I ended up getting a bracelet from her. The cool thing is that the beads on it spell out "My Heart is Listening" in Morse Code. It's pretty & unique, imo. In a newsletter I received from her, she said, " *In your note at purchase, please include the name of the person you're gifting and I'll send along a handwritten note as well!"

http://www.sarahaili.com/store

• Like 1