Menu

2019 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here..

Kareni

I've enjoyed starting a thread like this in past years. 

From 2018: Here we go again .... Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here..

From 2017:  Encountered a unique gift ? Post it here.

From 2016:   Have you spotted a unique gift? Post it here.

From 2015:  Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here.

You know you want these .....Shoes with rubber duck heels

Please post your finds.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I'm not sure how unique this is, but I ordered three keychains from this Etsy shop (FB friend). She does special orders, so I ordered one for each of my girls with their nickname engraved and one for my MIL with Lastname Girls - which is what she has always called all of us girls so we can be like a group that she participates in vicariously as she lives far away. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/659876161/gypsy-soul-keychain-by-enchanted-soul

Edited by Bambam
Wrong link! That was a necklace not a keychain!
  • Like 4

I have an awesome unusual gift idea that, alas, cannot happen.  Horsehair jewelry.  Perhaps this was an idea from you @Margaret in CO?  A  keychain made from my daughter's donkey (she has a donkey and mule...not horses, but close=)  So sad - the donkey's tail is not in good shape right now, while the mule will not allow her to cut it.  I had given her the job of collecting the hair, although she did not know why.  I am so disappointed.  Maybe next year.

In case anyone wants to do this: imsilver.com  Not sure how much lead time they need.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Familia said:

I have an awesome unusual gift idea that, alas, cannot happen.  Horsehair jewelry.  Perhaps this was an idea from you @Margaret in CO?  A  keychain made from my daughter's donkey (she has a donkey and mule...not horses, but close=)  So sad - the donkey's tail is not in good shape right now, while the mule will not allow her to cut it.  I had given her the job of collecting the hair, although she did not know why.  I am so disappointed.  Maybe next year.

In case anyone wants to do this: imsilver.com  Not sure how much lead time they need.

Would the mule be more cooperative if he was distracted by a bucket of grain while the tail-snipping happened? That's what we do with one of my horses who doesn't like farrier visits.🙂

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

I ordered three keychains from this Etsy shop (FB friend). She does special orders, so I ordered one for each of my girls with their nickname engraved and one for my MIL with Lastname Girls - which is what she has always called all of us girls so we can be like a group that she participates in vicariously as she lives far away. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/659876161/gypsy-soul-keychain-by-enchanted-soul

Ooh, these look wonderful. I like this piece, too!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Familia said:

Horsehair jewelry.  imsilver.com

That is indeed a nifty idea, Familia; it also brings back memories of a bracelet with elephant hair that my grandmother gave me when I was a child. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the hair collecting.

Regards,

Kareni

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmmetler said:

Also, a stress tardigrade (after all, they can cope with anything)

https://mcphee.com/products/stress-tardigrade

With ThinkGeek closing, I'm finding it harder to find gifts this year 😞

Thank you!!! That tardigrade stress thingy is the most perfect stocking stuffer for a stressed-out tardigrade-loving college kid that could possibly exist. And they have tardigrade air fresheners that smell like green apple (his favorite "flavor"). I'm so excited to find these!

I was also really bummed that Think Geek closed. Unemployed Philosophers Guild has cool stuff along the same lines as Archie McPhee and Think Geek.

• Like 4

Kareni, I was just thinking of your annual thread this week and hoping you'd start up a new one!!! 🙂 

I love these ceramic animal necklaces:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RingMeUpToo?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=261341118&section_id=18743162

And these dinosaur necklaces:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/marmarsuperstar?ref=seller-platform-mcnav&search_query=dinosaur+necklace

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Stacia said:

Horror books aren't necessarily unique

They are rarely to be found in my house.

From Valancourt Books: "Give Grandma what she really wants for Christmas this year: giant killer mutant cockroaches!"

I'm hoping giant killer mutant cockroaches are also rarely to be found in my house!

11 hours ago, Stacia said:

I do recommend Valancout Books. They specialize in reprinting rare, neglected, & out-of-print fiction of various genres.

Thanks for the recommendation (and the laugh), Stacia.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MercyA said:

Kareni, I was just thinking of your annual thread this week and hoping you'd start up a new one!!! 🙂 

I aim to please....

11 hours ago, MercyA said:

Those are neat, Mercy!

From that site, I also like this charming purrmaid pin.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Selkie said:

Would the mule be more cooperative if he was distracted by a bucket of grain while the tail-snipping happened? That's what we do with one of my horses who doesn't like farrier visits.🙂

I'm going to ask her that, thank you!  Oscar, the mule, has made such miraculous, yet slow, progress since bad early experiences with previous owners.  I am proud of my DD for getting this far.  And, having such patience!  But, maybe she hadn't thought to do that since she doesn't really like me around the equines.  haha, I both spoil them with extra treats/yet my lack of comfort with them makes me unsafe up close.  Perhaps DH can help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Familia said:

I'm going to ask her that, thank you!  Oscar, the mule, has made such miraculous, yet slow, progress since bad early experiences with previous owners.  I am proud of my DD for getting this far.  And, having such patience!  But, maybe she hadn't thought to do that since she doesn't really like me around the equines.  haha, I both spoil them with extra treats/yet my lack of comfort with them makes me unsafe up close.  Perhaps DH can help.

Good luck, and bless your dd! Equine welfare is one of my passions, and it is always so wonderful to see a poor, mistreated soul end up in a wonderful home!❤️

• Like 4

Not sure how unique or not, and this is a grown-ups only idea, but Target had wooden gift tags with cocktail recipes "engraved" on them. I'm getting a few and will gift them to DH with the ingredients and glasses required, presented in an ice bucket &/or on a little cocktail bar serving tray thing. Still piecing together the concept.... (we've been watching Mad Men finally, and he's enamored with the idea of a bar at work; obviously can't do *that* but thought I could make him a little "bar shelf" for at home). (I'm hoping to find mini-bottles not full sized, so he can try various ones and decide what he likes, w/o a huge investment....). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-rap said:

Wow, that is indeed a regal dog! Thanks for sharing, J-rap.

Regards,

Kareni

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hand-made, crocheted quilt made so that it's heavier than the average quilt. Looks gorgeous, adds weight, but is breathable so you don't over-heat. I want one!! 😉 I may have to make it myself for myself.

I think I would like one, too! (If you decide to make two, wintermom....)

Regards,

Kareni

4 hours ago, TheReader said:

... Target had wooden gift tags with cocktail recipes "engraved" on them. I'm getting a few and will gift them to DH with the ingredients and glasses required, presented in an ice bucket &/or on a little cocktail bar serving tray thing. Still piecing together the concept.... 

Ooh, I like your idea.

One thing you might consider is adding a personalized shot glass. I'd recommend something etched or engraved as designs often wash off over time. Here are some etsy sites to consider:

One

Two

Three

Regards,

Kareni

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

Those are indeed lovely pens! (I have to admit that I like some of the stickers in the background as well.) Thanks for sharing, vonfirmath.

Regards,

Kareni

On 11/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, dmmetler said:

Also, a stress tardigrade (after all, they can cope with anything)

https://mcphee.com/products/stress-tardigrade

With ThinkGeek closing, I'm finding it harder to find gifts this year 😞

On 11/19/2019 at 10:52 PM, Corraleno said:

Thank you!!! That tardigrade stress thingy is the most perfect stocking stuffer for a stressed-out tardigrade-loving college kid that could possibly exist. And they have tardigrade air fresheners that smell like green apple (his favorite "flavor"). I'm so excited to find these!

I was also really bummed that Think Geek closed. Unemployed Philosophers Guild has cool stuff along the same lines as Archie McPhee and Think Geek.

I just found out ThinkGeek closed after searching through old emails trying to figure out where I bought some science file folders, notebooks, etc. from after Google let me down.  They act like it still exists as part of GameStop but they have NOTHING.

Off to check out Archie McPhee and Unemployed Philosophers.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Well, the gift is really to everyone, as it will be so much fun watching them go nuts for them! Their pens are right next to the ditch, and they went to it at first, but then, one got eaten by something. They've been terrified all summer. The ditch is still running (weird, warm weather which I think has ended) and they've discovered it again. The hope is that the mealworms will be SO enticing that she'll be able to get them in at night. Ducks going bonkers is hysterical!

You should video them! Post for us and send to America's Funniest Home Videos! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, happi duck said:

Always love this thread!  Thanks @Kareni !!

You are quite welcome, happy duck. I enjoy it, too. 

I've actually given a couple similar eyeglass holders something like this one.  I rather like this owl, too.

Retainer Buddy:  https://lullubee.com/

2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Do you think I can give it to my grandfather in law and tell him it's a denture buddy?

I wish you would! Thanks for the laugh.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1