Menu

September Crafters! Come tell us all about it!

DawnM

5 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Is this a Project Life book?  I love your pages!!!  I am behind by 14 years -- LOL!  One day maybe -- when the boys go to college :-)!!!

This is in fact a Project Life album and page protectors ... in 6"x8". This trip was 2018 but I'm currently also working on vacations albums from 2013 and 2015 as well as wveryday life stuff.... but it's fun for me 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, purpleowl said:

I would love to see your literature-based quilts - they sound very cool!

My wardrobe project is actually not a quilt, though, it's quilling - twirled paper, like the Starbucks card I posted. 🙂 Here's one of my snow-covered trees. The whole project will be about 8"x10"; this tree is about 1.5" tall and 1.5" wide at the bottom.

tree with snow.jpg

It’s beautiful!  Totally in awe ........ I definitely want to see the finished project!  

The Harry Potter quilts will be a combination of blocks from the quiltalong found https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2018/12/harry-potter-quilt-along-2019.html at these websites and blocks over at Fandom in Stitches (which also has other themed blocks like LotR).  I plan to just start producing blocks and let my kids grab what they like best........

Alice in Wonderland is from this blog http://www.quiltingmod.com/search/label/Wonderland Quilt Along

• Like 3

I've got a biggish project to make momentos for a get-together. I'll be rubberstamping with the same main image but making them with different techniques, styles, and colors. I think I have about 20 to make. They won't be all the same, but I might make multiples of one version.

Say goodbye to most of my dining room table until I am done! LOL

• Like 6

On 8/28/2019 at 4:48 PM, Quill said:

Well, thanks to @Homes’chool (oh, I give up on trying to tag her!) thread about painting-by-numbers, I bought a kit and started it today. 

I also just drew some carrots from my garden a few days ago and I’m happy with how that turned out. 

I have a video for loom-knitting a poncho and bought some purple yarn at Sheep & Wool, which I intended to use for the poncho, but I got it irredeemably tangled. I bought new yarn. But I like the new yarn slightly less than the jewel-beautiful yarn that tangled all to heck. So I have not started the poncho. I am on the fence because I don’t want to put in thirty hours knitting a poncho when it’s not really the yarn I wanted. 

6AE23859-2726-449C-AD7E-252E2254750F.jpeg

35B521AB-DC69-43E4-ABF8-780EBF2A958B.jpeg

ED5998CF-6101-4A75-AF0D-08B3B1C08896.jpeg

Quill, you are wearing my socks!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just finished a no sew quilt block as a 90th birthday gift for my aunt.  It has her favorite colors. 

I also just picked up Lori Holt's Quilters Cottage cross stitch from the framers.  It turned out really nice.  The first big cross stitch I've done in years.  However, I just threw out a cross stitch I started a few weeks ago.  I'd made a major mistake counting and everything was too far off to blend.  When I ripped out the stitches, the dark thread had stained the white Aida.  Oh, well....crafing is like that....a step forward, a step back. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Annie G said:

I order from Fat Quarter Shop, hancock’s In Paducah, Stitchin Heaven, and Etsy. 

8 hours ago, HollyDay said:

I order from Missouri Star Quilt, Fat Quarter Shop, and Keepsake Quilting

Thanks.  I will take a look.

• Like 1

Why oh WHY did I start this thread?

I was off crafts for a long time, minding my own business, and then thought I would like to sew a T-shirt quilt for Christmas, and DANG if I don't have 100 ideas in my head right now of crafts I would LOVE to do!   

But I need to prioritize.  

Today's goal:  Finish getting all my sewing stuff together, organize, clean up my machine, see what I need to get, go to the sewing/fabric store and get what I need if I can (still can't find my sewing machine power cord!  That is a little essential!). 

THEN, and only then, if I have time left over, will I attempt to actually do anything.

First thing I really need is a cute door sign for my office.   I may embroidery one and put it on my door, or I may paint something.  

I actually like this one, but not sure I want to take the time to paint something and I don't want to pay $56 for it!   I would only need an MDF 15" circle, some ribbon, and a white paint pen for the letters, I have the other paint (need to check if I have any black spray paint left).......crud, yeah, I am thinking again,.......

il_fullxfull.1611900619_mj04.thumb.jpg.dfc22b553103bdd1ce7fa7f94bb0de3d.jpg

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

quilt question!  (sorry, I will have a lot of them!)

Batting.  I see a lot of 100% cotton and I love 100% cotton, but won't it shrink later if the quilt is washed?  Should I be worried about that?

Yes, it will, but not enough to be a problem. I like the way it looks after it’s been washed- the bit of shrinking makes the quilt look less ‘brand new’. 

I used cotton for years but have been using either wool or bamboo for a while. They also shrink a little, but I’m ok with that. 

• Like 2

1.  We are attending an AMF party tomorrow afternoon.  AMF means Adios, My Friends, and it is a locals celebration of the end of summer in the area of our cabin.  It involves a very competitive chili cookoff that we do not enter, but we bring popular side dishes that everyone enjoys.  So this year instead of our usual tiny little table and a cooler, we are bringing a full fledged card table with a local themed bright tablecloth, and I just made two signs for this--one will hang down in front with a mountain scene and the name of our cabin on it, and the other says "Sides Sanctuary" and I'm going to add a list of the side dishes we bring when we know for sure what they all are.  So far we are planning beer bread, Red Lobster garlic biscuits, onion canapes, and devilled eggs.  Normally I would bring chips and homemade dip, but just had a molar pulled and can't have anything brittle for a while.

2.  I just started a knitting project that does not involve hauling around a lot of bulky yarn.  I'm so psyched to have this multi-colored scarf when it's done.  It will be a long, light weight triangular cotton scarf that will look great with my navy Vickki Vi shift.  Here's the kit so you can see the colors:  https://www.katia.com/EN/yarns-all-amigurumi100cotton-912.html

• Like 6

I made 5 designs over the last 2 days. Four I kind of like and the fifth is a struggle.

I hate the feeling of working really hard to create something and then not liking it so much I wonder why I even bother. 

Sometimes going to bed helps and getting fresh eyes in the AM. 

Today, I am going to make the multiples (i can't find the correct word! multiples doesn't sound right) of the ones I like the best. 

I need to go to Michael's and buy more frames. The momentos are  4"x6" framed rubber stamped pieces.

That is another thing that is throwing  me. I am so used to the proportions of a greeting card 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" it is hard to adjust. Plus the usable space in each frame is different. Sometimes it is only 5"x3".

Alright! Enough complaining from me!

The NICE thing about rubber stamping is that when I mess up, it is only ink and paper. It is so cheap and easy to try again. And again. And once more! Looking at you, 5th design that is giving me an issue! LOL

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

These are so great!  Acrylic paint right.......need to show my kids....

Yes, it was good quality acrylic, and I coated the shoes w gesso first and topcoated w outdoor ModPodge. Regular primer works fine as a base coat but I wanted to try gesso. 

I needed just a touch of green and used some cheap acrylic (deco art) and it took three coats. The quality acrylic was worth it for the one coat coverage. 

• Like 3

Wow, I got a bunch of Christmas card stamps (fairly big ones), a birth announcement stamp, and a few others, 10 chalkboard Chinese take out boxes for gifting cookies or candy, and a kit to make a cookie wreath centerpiece for a Christmas table, all for 50% off of low already sale prices at a local Labor Day sidewalk sale.  Score!

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 4

On 8/29/2019 at 4:18 PM, astralweaver said:

This is just a plain cotton dishcloth in an autumn color. 

image.jpg

An update: hubby was home for the weekend and so we got in some movie time. I finished dish rag number 1 and the ball will theoretically make two so I started a second one.

05AFBFBE-9173-44FE-AB3D-132148ADA3E9.jpeg

Also, I had planned to school today but with hubby home he ended up doing stuff around the house. This always involves him interrupting whatever I’m doing a lot so I scrapped my plans. It rained a lot though so the kids didn’t head outside much and I taught my older daughter and her friend to finger knit. Here she is modeling the scarf she made for her doll, Oberon. 

B6755F8D-79A9-48E6-868C-F42F7F2079D4.jpeg

Edited by astralweaver
Put descriptions with correct photos.
  • Like 7

I'm continuing to make items to contribute to the annual collaborative knit and crochet installation at the library. This year's theme is coral reef/under the sea, so I've been attending the weekly meet-ups and making at least one of every suggested pattern. I've crocheted a couple of little seahorses, an octopus, a manta ray, a teeny squid, some seashells, a handful of starfish and a bunch of coral. My "big" project for this year was a mermaid. 

(I added pics of a few of the small projects. I'm sorry that I don't know why they are huge! I'm supposed to be working from home today, so I can't take a lot of time to try and figure out how to make them smaller.)

The installation party is in late September.

I'm also hoping to submit a couple of pieces to a Halloween-themed art show. Submissions have to be ready to hang, and submission requires photos of both the fronts and backs of every piece. The pieces, themselves (the fronts) are done, but I have a little clean-up to do before I take photos of the backs. This will be the third year in a row that I've planned to submit, only to wind up missing the deadline. So, let's see if I get my act together and actually submit this year.

IMG_20190717_221940311.jpg

IMG_20190807_230037640.jpg

IMG_20190814_210219077.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 11

I cross stitch. It’s the only crafting I can do, much to the embarrassment of my very, very talented mother. 😂 But, I love it and find it to be very soothing. This is my current project. It will eventually be an Chinese dragon surrounded by a lovely border. This is less than 1/4 of it. I guesstimate that it will take me at least 4 years (I started this one last Christmas). 

F821F010-D644-42AD-AC38-F4F786306DEA.jpeg

• Like 11

On 9/3/2019 at 1:14 AM, BooksandBoys said:

I cross stitch. It’s the only crafting I can do, much to the embarrassment of my very, very talented mother. 😂 But, I love it and find it to be very soothing. This is my current project. It will eventually be an Chinese dragon surrounded by a lovely border. This is less than 1/4 of it. I guesstimate that it will take me at least 4 years (I started this one last Christmas). 

F821F010-D644-42AD-AC38-F4F786306DEA.jpeg

Gonna be so pretty when finished!  I haven't been doing any crafting, but when I do, I cross-stitch.  Several unfinished projects to get done and new ones I really want to start.  I have never tried on linen though (I'm afraid -- LOL).  I like to use 18 and 22 count Aida cloth.  It is very therapeutic to me, but as my eyesight has gotten worse with age, it is a bit harder to do.

I also have so many scrapbooking supplies and I won't even tell you how many digital pictures I have to go through.  One day, I want to get my boys' book done and I want to use the stuff I've bought :-).  One day...

• Like 4

All of you quilters have heaps of respect from me. Despite being trained to teach a few basic quilting classes and assisting in a bunch more during my time at the library, I never have produced a decent-looking quilted item. I just do not have the patience and sharp eyes required to create something that precise. My attempts always have wonky corners and wobbly edges. 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, mlktwins said:

Gonna be so pretty when finished!  I haven't been doing any crafting, but when I do, I cross-stitch.  Several unfinished projects to get done and new ones I really want to start.  I have never tried on linen though (I'm afraid -- LOL).  I like to use 18 and 22 count Aida cloth.  It is very therapeutic to me, but as my eyesight has gotten worse with age, it is a bit harder to do.

I also have so many scrapbooking supplies and I won't even tell you how many digital pictures I have to go through.  One day, I want to get my boys' book done and I want to use the stuff I've bought :-).  One day...

This is my first project on linen because I was afraid too. I finally made the jump because my favorite designer loves quarter stitches, and it turns out that quarter stitches are a lot simpler on linen than Aida. After I finished my last cross stitch, another humongous one that took years (and was full of quarters), I decided it was time to try linen or I’d lose my mind. It was hard at first, but i adaptes pretty quickly. I did go with a 28count (which would be an Aida 14) rather than the recommended 32 (18) to save my eyes a bit. And a friend thrifted a magnifying lamp for me! It couldn’t have come at a better time. 

Would love to see your unfinished projects. 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Anything new this weekend?

I took a study break yesterday and made a little octopus.

We didn't meet last week, because the library was closed due to storm concerns, but I will be going in this week with the little guy below, a second seahorse and a couple more starfish to contribute. I started a fish tonight, but since it's back to work tomorrow I'm not sure I'll have time to finish it before Wednesday.

IMG_20190907_221711537 (1).jpg

• Like 10

I'm enjoying looking at everyone's creations.  Please keep sharing!

I actually did start weaving at my loom yesterday.  I've been feeling so blah about weaving since moving here.  I'm not sure if it means I should sell everything and be done or whether its a phase.  I just wish it didn't take up so much room - its so much easier to store cross-stitching or knitting items.  Why oh why did I pick weaving?  😏

• Like 3

PSA:  There is a Yarn Crawl AROUND LAKE TAHOE in two weeks.

It involves visiting three yarn shops in the Sierra foothills, and several at Lake Tahoe cities themselves, and several in outlying cities such as Reno, Truckee, and Minden.  I have been actively resisting this ever since I heard of it in July.  But it’s the first one, and these are some of my favorite places, and darn it, I’m going.  Despite the fact that I have plenty of yarn.  PLENTY.  

Anyone else?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 11:26 AM, Carol in Cal. said:

Leaving on Thursday for the Yarn Crawl!  SO EXCITED!

How much did your stash increase?  I have never done a yarn crawl but did do a couple of quilt shop hops.........I ended up with some cute extra projects that I still haven’t completed and I received some really nice fat quarters as a present when I visited each shop.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

How much did your stash increase?  I have never done a yarn crawl but did do a couple of quilt shop hops.........I ended up with some cute extra projects that I still haven’t completed and I received some really nice fat quarters as a present when I visited each shop.  

Sigh. 

I have not totalled it all up, but I did make a purchase or purchases at every store except one.  That’s a total of 10 stores.

In other news, I appear to be branching out into macrame, given that I bought two books about it plus a supply of heavy string.  

Also, I had only been to 3 of the stores before, so now I’m pretty much a ‘one in every port’ yarn store enthusiast.  The other 8 make this into quite a well-rounded set of opportunities.  Where ‘well-rounded’ means ‘all around the lake and down each major set of hills.’

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I basically finished my paint-by-numbers this morning. I do still need to go back over some places where the paint was too transparent and the numbers or lines show through. Or where the coverage was just inadequate. I also have done a second coat for several parts. 

This painting was a lot of fun to do! I forgot how much I enjoy making art. There were some quality issues with the kit, so that was disappointing at times, like the aforementioned certain colors which were too transparent. Overall, though, I am eager to do another painting and am so happy Homes’cool started a thread about it! 

73C68374-EFB5-4359-ABE1-6A1262AE051D.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2019 at 6:13 PM, BooksandBoys said:

This is my first project on linen because I was afraid too. I finally made the jump because my favorite designer loves quarter stitches, and it turns out that quarter stitches are a lot simpler on linen than Aida. After I finished my last cross stitch, another humongous one that took years (and was full of quarters), I decided it was time to try linen or I’d lose my mind. It was hard at first, but i adaptes pretty quickly. I did go with a 28count (which would be an Aida 14) rather than the recommended 32 (18) to save my eyes a bit. And a friend thrifted a magnifying lamp for me! It couldn’t have come at a better time. 

Would love to see your unfinished projects. 🙂

I know this is an older, but I just pulled this out again and got around to taking a picture.  Hoping to finish this by the end of January for my sister's b-day.  In my spare time of course -- LOL!

20191108_092135.jpg

• Like 2