Menu

2020 College decision - already?!

GoVanGogh

Can it be? I don’t know. Somewhat waiting for a change of mind but... 

I asked about applying to Rice a month or so ago. It was seriously on the table at one time because it felt like such a good fit for DS. (DS has a neuromuscular condition that requires a smaller campus and somewhat close to home or family.) We decided to hold off on applying to Rice and see what happens at other colleges first. 

In early July, DS applied to two state universities in the DFW area, both with rolling admissions. One was his safety school, the other was the somewhat competitive engineering school he has wanted to attend since he was 10 years old  

He was accepted into both. No word on financial packages yet, but that won’t be an issue or deciding factor at either of these two schools. 

Was it really just that easy?!? We have searched and reviewed colleges for several years and DS has always maintained he wanted to attend this one school. It is a great college with great reviews and great location and it has the exact major he wants to study. Feels odd to be done so soon. 

• Like 22

My dd only wants to apply to one school (also in DFW area - we're in OH).  She applied and was accepted.  But...we won't know scholarship info for a long time and that makes me nervous.  But she is one and done.  It feels weird.  

And congratulations!  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Was it really just that easy?!? We have searched and reviewed colleges for several years and DS has always maintained he wanted to attend this one school. It is a great college with great reviews and great location and it has the exact major he wants to study. Feels odd to be done so soon. 

Sometimes, YES, it is just that easy!! YAY if it is!!! When it's right, it's right!

• Like 1

Congrats!

My dd#1 has a friend who is a one & done this year. Rolling admission. In already. And, just notified she got the instate full tuition scholarship! (She thought she would need to retake the ACT to try for one point higher but just got the notification that she received it with her current score.) Makes for a much less stressful year!

• Like 4

My DS has already received his first acceptance, from Liberty University.   They apparently have rolling admissions and notified him of his acceptance really quickly.

He's got one other application fully complete (U. of South Florida), and expects to hear from them pretty early when they start announcing admissions on October 1.   He qualifies for an in-state scholarship (Bright Futures) and his grades & test scores qualify him for a significant amount of scholarship money from USF, so we'll see how that shakes out.    His other schools all use the Common App, and he's trying to finish that up today, before his dual enrollment classes begin on Monday.

So he's not "one and done" but it's nice to be (very nearly) finished with the applications and have one acceptance already in hand.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

I really like UTD. My son loved it when we toured. Unfortunately, his major isn’t too great for UTD (philosophy) otherwise he could be one and done too. He needs financial aid too so he needs to apply more places for that.

My daughter is starting her second year at UTD and absolutely loves it there.  She misses the green and mountains of home but otherwise could not be happier!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Plateau Mama said:

My daughter is starting her second year at UTD and absolutely loves it there.  She misses the green and mountains of home but otherwise could not be happier!

That's great to know!  That's our "one and done" school. We're in Ohio so I'm sad about the distance but I really like what I've seen of the school.  Glad your daughter loves it there!  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, katilac said:

My nerves cannot handle kids applying to only one school, I have a 3-school minimum, lol. 

My 11th grader thinks he knows he will attend one of two possible schools. I’m fine with either choice and he should be able to afford them. But my first two boys really didn’t know what they wanted (even though they thought they did). They both ended up at schools that weren’t even on the radar until winter of senior year.

I have told this ds that I may have him apply to a couple others but that they will be easy applications (not requiring essays, etc). I just feel more comfortable with a couple more options. My oldest also had a personal situation develop that really couldn’t have been predicted (and was through no fault of his own) but that necessitated him getting out of town 🙁 That experience gave me a viewpoint of you never know what could change or develop that would necessitate a change in plan. I admit that is dramatic but it is one of those personal experience things.  (Although, if a situation warranted it, there are many schools that will still take last minute applications). 

47 minutes ago, katilac said:

My nerves cannot handle kids applying to only one school, I have a 3-school minimum, lol. 

I do, too, but unfortunately dd has a 1-school maximum.  I am a wreck. 

11 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

you never know what could change or develop that would necessitate a change in plan.

Yes, this!  This is what I tell dd but she thinks she knows better.  

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I do, too, but unfortunately dd has a 1-school maximum.  I am a wreck. 

My rule is, You don't have to go, but you have to apply. One dd had more than 3 but there was a particular one I had her apply to anyway, for more in-state options. I may even have filled most of it out for her, lol. The 15 minutes and $20 was worth it for my sanity. 

• Like 1

Congratulations! I hope it's that easy when my DD's time comes (She's a junior this year, so one more year!). She has one school she's applying EA-Restricted, meaning, she can't apply to any other school that would result in a decision before January 1st, and she can't apply ED anywhere. So, she'll have to put off Rolling Admission colleges until the end of December. Currently, she has 28 schools on her list. LOL She is NOT applying to all of them. My minimum is 6 (2 safety (financially and academically), 2 fit (academically, but not necessarily financially), and 2 Reach (could be academic or financial reach). I told her a max of 15. I hope she can narrow it down that much. 

It's all going to come down to the numbers, and she knows that, which is why she's looking into a lot of different schools.

Congratulations!  Yes, it can be this easy!  My son applied to about 5 schools his senior year -- wasn't really happy with any of them, a year later he learned about ODU and applied -- was accepted within one week and paid his deposit the next day.  The Admissions office called to find out why he accepted so quickly... apparently, it made their heads spin a bit.  30 days later, we find out he's been given a D1 swimming spot and I was frantically putting together NCAA paperwork!  

If only my daughter could be that simple... PokeMan's college applications will be a BREEZE (he only cares about two schools, one is a live at home situation).