Menu

Whole-food vegetarian - too much fibre for me?

Laura Corin

I've been eating pretty whole-food for years, but for the last six months have been enjoying replacing any remaining sugars and white flour with whole options. I also now eat very little meat. I don't eat much dairy or eggs.

A typical day might be oats with ground flax seed for breakfast, lentil and veg soup or salad for lunch, quinoa and veg for supper. Snacks would be raw veg and nuts. I drink oat milk for preference. I want to maintain muscle mass as I age, so I need to keep my protein up.

I get constipated. I'm probably eating 40 to 50 grammes of fibre a day, and drink about 3.5 or 4 litres of liquid. My last health check up had me finally in healthy ranges. Any ideas?

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I was coming into the thread to suggest more water, but if you're drinking that much, I'd guess it's too much fibre. Oats + flax seeds for breakfast sounds enough to knock your digestive system out cold!

I don't want to drop the oats, because I have finally lowered my cholesterol, but I can leave out the flax, as I still eat fish. Thanks.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

You can definitely try cutting out the flaxseed, but I might also ask - how much exercise are you getting? When you move your body, it helps you to move your bowels. (It also helps you maintain muscle mass.) With a healthy diet like that I assume you're also exercising daily, but I might be wrong.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

You can definitely try cutting out the flaxseed, but I might also ask - how much exercise are you getting? When you move your body, it helps you to move your bowels. (It also helps you maintain muscle mass.) With a healthy diet like that I assume you're also exercising daily, but I might be wrong.

Thanks, yes, I am. I walk briskly for 40 minutes every lunchtime, Nordic Walk twice a week for forty minutes (13 minute miles), take two yoga classes a week, and probably walk the dog between four and ten miles a week. I also maintain a big yard/garden.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I don’t know what oat milk is, but every other one of those foods are the opposite of constipating for me.  I don’t understand how they could cause constipation.

I don’t understand how flax seeds could cause constipation.  

I would try changing those things for sure, because it makes sense to others, but I think maybe ask at the doctor? 

• Like 2

Rosie's suggestion to replace the flaxseed with oil might help in 2 ways, fat can also help move things along. You might also consider a magnesium supplement, many of us are low and they can help sleep, I take magnesium glycinate at night as that form also helps with stress and anxiety.

• Like 4

There are apparently people who have the opposite effect of normal when they consume too much fiber. I remember reading about it. It also could possibly be the type/ratio of fiber you're consuming? Maybe you could play around with that a little bit. I've had life long problems with constipation (despite being a mostly vegetarian for the past thirty years), and magnesium at dinner is one thing that seems to have helped relatively long term. I use the inexpensive magnesium oxide. It's supposedly the most irritating, and that irritation is what helps with constipation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

There are apparently people who have the opposite effect of normal when they consume too much fiber. I remember reading about it. It also could possibly be the type/ratio of fiber you're consuming? Maybe you could play around with that a little bit. I've had life long problems with constipation (despite being a mostly vegetarian for the past thirty years), and magnesium at dinner is one thing that seems to have helped relatively long term. I use the inexpensive magnesium oxide. It's supposedly the most irritating, and that irritation is what helps with constipation.

Thanks. I hadn't heard much about magnesium. Yes, I had no problems with constipation on a relatively whole food diet, but I'm suspecting that it's something about the extra fibre. I'll think about balance.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I know some circles are really anti-fiber. I think they take it too far but evidently it can be more of an issue for some than others. I know my mom doesn't tolerate a lot of raw veggies. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, soror said:

I know some circles are really anti-fiber. I think they take it too far but evidently it can be more of an issue for some than others. I know my mom doesn't tolerate a lot of raw veggies. 

I am eating well above the recommended levels of fibre. I really like veg!

You may be consuming too much soluble versus insoluble fiber.  For example, both oats and flaxseed are high in soluble fiber.  Try pairing your breakfast oats with fruit (insoluble fiber) instead of flaxseed.  If you want the flaxseed, add it to a leafy green salad.  You might also experiment with adding more fat to your diet and substituting cooked for some of the raw vegetables.

• Like 5

My meager suggestion was going to be to increase fruit intake, but I like Sherry in OH's suggestion above that it might be soluble vs. insoluble fiber. I just know that if I increase fruit a lot (as I tend to in summer with lots of good stuff available), the effect is not constipating at all. Kind of the opposite. I do baked oatmeal with flaxseed meal, but also bluebberies and apple baked right in.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mainer said:

A long time ago, I read that having too few carbohydrates can slow down your thyroid, making you constipated. Maybe have some rice along with some meals?

That's a thought. I don't think I'm very low on carbs though, with oats, lentils and beans.

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

That's a thought. I don't think I'm very low on carbs though, with oats, lentils and beans.

Quinoa is a high carb food as well and it seems that you eat it often. I was going to suggest that you switch out flaxseed from your breakfast and take a flaxseed oil pill as a supplement daily, instead. But, I like @Rosie_0801 's suggestion of flaxseed oil salad dressing.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

Be careful with the Mg--lots of people tolerate it well, but I personally get horrendous (as in, I want to lie down on the floor with pain) intestinal cramps about 2-6 hours after taking it.  I do fine with epsom salt baths, and so that's what I stick with.  You might want to start with those and see if they help.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lecka said:

I don’t know what oat milk is, but every other one of those foods are the opposite of constipating for me.  I don’t understand how they could cause constipation.

I don’t understand how flax seeds could cause constipation.  

I would try changing those things for sure, because it makes sense to others, but I think maybe ask at the doctor?

Soluble fiber absorbs water and bulks up your poop. This is what makes it easier to poop. It's like the difference between a toothpaste tube being almost empty or one that's full - the more mass you have, the easier it is to squeeze it out!

However, if you take too much fiber it absorbs too much water and then your poop is bulky but dry. Imagine a tube of paint or glue that's all dried up. Hard to squeeze anything out, right? Welp, that's your poop. You want to eat the right amount of fiber with the right amount of liquid.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

Thanks for all your ideas. I added an extra half litre of liquid yesterday, missed out the flaxseed, reduced the raw veg and took a low dose of magnesium. We shall see! I already eat quite a lot of olive oil, nuts and avocado, but I'll also look into flaxseed oil.

• 2 months later...

Just a follow-up.  I think it's the beans/lentils.  I was putting on weight, so cut back on them, and suddenly the problem has gone.  When I get back into my desired weight range (I'm only a kilo or two high) I'll be more careful about adding back in the pulses.  Thank you, everyone.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Just a follow-up.  I think it's the beans/lentils.  I was putting on weight, so cut back on them, and suddenly the problem has gone.  When I get back into my desired weight range (I'm only a kilo or two high) I'll be more careful about adding back in the pulses.  Thank you, everyone.

Interesting, I hope you can tolerate some without issue.

21 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

There are a few in a group I am in having this problem with too much oat milk.  So if it happens again, see if that is the problem.  They took it out of their diets completely and no more issues.

Thanks. I'd really like to stick with the oat milk, but I'll keep that in mind.

How are your bowel movts? Back to being regular? I find that my morning coffee is my main stimulus for a morning bowel movt. That and eating well before I have to go to work. My body needs to sit still for a while before doing a bowel movt. If I eat and then run out the door I often have constipation that day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

How are your bowel movts? Back to being regular? I find that my morning coffee is my main stimulus for a morning bowel movt. That and eating well before I have to go to work. My body needs to sit still for a while before doing a bowel movt. If I eat and then run out the door I often have constipation that day.

This is an issue. TMI ahead.

I have to wear a cube pessary to support my pelvic floor - I'm a demon at Kegels too, but that's not enough. Unfortunately, once that is in place, it puts pressure that makes it hard for things to move through later in the day. So it's pretty important that I not get stopped up. At weekends I delay fitting the pessary  to give more time.

Things are okay at present on lean-protein-plus-leafy-veg, plus porridge for breakfast, but I'll be careful about introducing pulses again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

Do you take a B12 supplement? Low B12 can cause constipation, and you will be getting very little with a mostly vegan diet.

https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/vitamins-for-constipation#vitamin-b--12

I think I'm okay, because I eat yoghurt most days, my oat milk is fortified, I eat eggs once a week and fish twice a week, but I'll look into it further.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I think I'm okay, because I eat yoghurt most days, my oat milk is fortified, I eat eggs once a week and fish twice a week, but I'll look into it further.

Do look into it, many people absorb B-12 less well as they get older. It isn't a vitamin that is stored well in the body and it still sounds to me like your daily values are low.

Lots of B-12 info here:

https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-b12/

• Like 1