Menu

Please stop raining!

mom2scouts

Is there anyone else in the midwest who wants it to JUST. STOP. RAINING?  We haven't had even a hint of summer yet. It rains and rains and rains. The farmers are in a panic because it's the end of June and they still can't get their crops in. All of the fun outdoor activities are being cancelled. DS's outdoor swim meet was just called off due to thunderstorms. We were supposed to go canoeing this weekend, but the river that's normally 3 feet deep is at 15 feet and expected to rise higher. There's no way I'm risking that! Our city fire department's water rescue unit has had to rescue six tubers and kayakers from our local river in the past week and a half. Several swimming lakes and beaches have had to close, not just because of temperature, but because the entire beach or area surrounding the lakes are under water. Neighborhoods and roads are flooded all over the region. Somebody please turn off the water!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Not the midwest, but ds's championship game has come and gone, and tonight is the third rescheduling of his second to last game (now the last? oy.) because of rain.  Nearly every day.  I am so tired of it.  We've yet to go swimming this year because it is still cold, too.  I'll be bundling up in a sweater and jacket to go sit out at the field tonight.  It's just a drizzle right now, thankfully.  Thunderstorms due to start later tonight.

Yes, I don't think I've seen anything like this before.

Luckily I haven't really needed to do anything outside yet - I have a big work deadline so I guess I'm glad the weather isn't too inviting.  But I feel bad for the farmers and others whose projects are being delayed.

Wish we could send the blazing sunshine your way.  Sacramento Valley is going to be in Red Flag warning zone starting tonight.

“Forecasters from the National Weather Service have issued a red flag warning beginning Thursday night for the Sacramento Valley and adjacent Northern California foothills due to high fire danger from gusty winds and low humidity levels that are expected to last through Saturday.

The NWS office in Sacramento says the warning will be in effect from 11 p.m. Thursday to 6 p.m. Saturday and supersedes the fire weather watch issued the day before.” https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather-news/article231767763.html

Yes, yes yes.  Plus my favorite weather app keeps hounding me with flood warnings.  I don't want to delete it in case of tornado, but seriously?  We've been above flood stage since January.  I really don't need to be warned three times a day!  I'm aware by now, and if I'm not I seriously doubt telling me again between now and midnight will matter.

24 minutes ago, Katy said:

Yes, yes yes.  Plus my favorite weather app keeps hounding me with flood warnings.  I don't want to delete it in case of tornado, but seriously?  We've been above flood stage since January.  I really don't need to be warned three times a day!  I'm aware by now, and if I'm not I seriously doubt telling me again between now and midnight will matter.

Yes! I've had at least three flash flood warnings this afternoon. 

25 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Wish we could send the blazing sunshine your way.  Sacramento Valley is going to be in Red Flag warning zone starting tonight.

“Forecasters from the National Weather Service have issued a red flag warning beginning Thursday night for the Sacramento Valley and adjacent Northern California foothills due to high fire danger from gusty winds and low humidity levels that are expected to last through Saturday.

The NWS office in Sacramento says the warning will be in effect from 11 p.m. Thursday to 6 p.m. Saturday and supersedes the fire weather watch issued the day before.” https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather-news/article231767763.html

Please send us some sunshine! We'll trade all the rain you want for a little time with the sun!

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 1

Our local news station just reported that it's rained five days a week for the past three months. We aren't just imagining it.

I would gladly send some of this stuff to Melissa in Australia or anybody else who needs it. I suffer from SAD in the winter and really look forward to summer sunshine. I hope we get some soon!

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 2

I hear you.  I feel the most for my farmer friends.  So many have not gotten first cutting hay off the fields (or cut and lost it all) and many haven't gotten their crops in.  Even with short season crops, they must be in the ground by July 1 and we had a ton more rain today.  A college football stadium about an hour away is now a swimming pool.  Our local pier is at water level at the end,  Lake Michigan is so high that many areas have no beach left at all.

• Like 1

My Dad has been farming in Ohio for something like 65 years.  He told me Sunday he's never seen anything like this planting season.  My family was able to get the last of the beans in on Saturday night but Dad got the tractor hung up several times that evening in the mud.  He's not sure what will happen but is relieved that it's done.  He's worried that the growing season won't be long enough for the corn crop.

Many of my relatives and friends from my home area have just decided not to plant this year, especially the corn.

We finally had a week of sun (with some scattered thunderstorms here & there). It was glorious and let some of the farmers get crops in. Now, it is raining again. I really hope the water level doesn't rise again because some of the major roads just opened back up which makes our lives safer. (When the major roads are closed, the traffic reroutes through our small town. We've had multiple fatal car accidents due to the people driving through here thinking they can speed & pass like they are on the interstate.) Although, I'm still not sure how to get to the airport next week with all the bridges still closed and the one route I know now closed for construction.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I woke up today to sunshine!!! It's still cool, but the sun is shining! Rain is predicted for the rest of the week, so I'm  going to find something I can do outside today!

Yes, I just had a wonderful long walk with my dog. It's so beautiful. So grateful for the sunshine today.

• Like 1

Our police just posted the following message. We have a river that runs through our downtown and they are there right now with the water rescue team.

***High Water Strong Current*** please be advised the the river is high & currents are strong. Over the last couple of days we have had 11 Water Rescue calls on the river. We are asking that you use caution & PLEASE STAY OFF THE RIVER until the waters recede to a safe depth. Enjoy the beautiful weather today ! Have fun! Stay Safe!