Menu

Broke arm, need gr8 book recs

Alicia64

an 88-yr-old was driving badly and set off events that totaled my mommy-van that we'd had for 16 yrs. 😢

best news: kids and shepherd were not in van. 😄

lesson learned: dogs MUST have seat belts. river would have died if he'd been w/ me. i'd only been going 40 mph.

i only broke my arm -- '03 van saved me. i think air bags broke it.

i love to read anything funny like 100 year year old man who climbed out window or Ove.

i also love memoirs.

And pachinko and free food for millionaires. both by min jin lee -- so good if you haven't read!

would love suggestions!

tia!

alley

Hugs, Alley. Hope you heal quickly and well. Very thankful that your kids and dog were not along.

How is the 88yo?

Book suggestions:

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

Anything written by Terry Pratchett

A memoir I really enjoyed is Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Stacia said:

Anything written by Terry Pratchett

Great suggestion! A nice place to start is The Wee Free Men This would be a great audio book for the accents and if you don't feel like holding a book and turning the pages.

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

• Like 1

oh my, I'm so sorry.  

Memoirs I enjoyed:

The Other Side of the Dale by Gervase Phinn - James Herriot style books but written by a school inspector in the English Dales.

Losing Mum and Pup by Christopher Buckley.  Yes, it's about loss, but nicely written and quite sweet.

Partly Cloudy Patriot - By Sarah Vowell.. not exactly a memoir but more a travelogue.  Also her book about dead Presidents is quirky, funny too. 

Jim Gaffigan's books have been fun to listen too.  

Light and Fun:

A Nun in the Closet by Barbara Gillman - I also LOVE her Mrs. Pollifax series.

Wodehouse is always a good bet too.  Love all the Wooster and Jeeves books

I'm sure there's more but I'm running out the door.  - I second any Pratchett book and Enchanted April.  

• Like 1

I just finished The Guest Book by Sarah Blake. It is very good, but it isn’t a funny book. It is basically a “coming of age” book for mid-life - the main character grapples with her role at work and in the family and in the process comes to understand the role privilege had in her family history and in her upbringing and what it means to her going forward. The book steps backward & forward in time so that multiple generations live out their lives on the pages. It’s very well written and thought provoking. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I just finished The Guest Book by Sarah Blake. It is very good, but it isn’t a funny book. It is basically a “coming of age” book for mid-life - the main character grapples with her role at work and in the family and in the process comes to understand the role privilege had in her family history and in her upbringing and what it means to her going forward. The book steps backward & forward in time so that multiple generations live out their lives on the pages. It’s very well written and thought provoking. 

lol -- there are 75 holds at the library, but this sounds great!! 👍

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

Jen Lancaster has funny memoirs - Bitter is the New Black is the first, I believe. 

Stacey Ballis writes some really good, light books as well. Out to Lunch is a good one.

Anything by Jenny Colgan. Little Beach Street Bakery is the first in one of her series.

I LOVE Jen Lancaster and have read every book -- thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I LOVE Jen Lancaster and have read every book -- thanks for the reminder!

I bet you'll like the other two as well. Stacey and Jen are buds and she writes just as well. And I like Jenny Colgan better than both at the moment. 

I thought of a couple of others: RaeAnne Thayne for light romance type books. The Hope's Crossing series is a good one to start. Blackberry Summer is first and it's only $1.99 right now on Kindle.

If you like mysteries, Louise Penny writes amazing ones set in southern Canada. Still Life is first - I love them, but for me, the series improves as it goes on.

Also, I've recently started reading Alyssa Maxwell's historical mysteries. They take place in my hometown, Newport RI, at the turn of the 20th century during the Gilded Age. Murder at the Breakers is first in that series. 

• Like 2

Memoirs I've read and liked:

84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Queen Noor Leap of Faith

Carrying the Fire: An Astronauts Journeys by Michael Collins

Astronauts Wives Club by Lily Koppel

And because I was in college in the 80's and majoring in Political Science:

Barbara Bush Memoir (the 1994 book)

41 a Portrait of My Father

Hot Zone by Richard Preston

I'd like to read:

Gary Sinise: A Greatful American but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Like 1

I am drawn to memoirs written by people who weave funny anecdotes into the stories they tell. 

Fields and Pastures New: My First Year as a Country Vet by John McCormack 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0517596865/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose  

https://www.amazon.com/Unlikely-Disciple-Semester-Americas-University/dp/0446178438/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=kevin+roose&qid=1559251717&s=books&sr=1-2

Born a Crime:  Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Crime-Stories-African-Childhood/dp/0399588191/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=trevor+Noah&qid=1559251777&s=books&sr=1-2

Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees by Thomas Hale

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310213010/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2

• Like 3

I'm sorry to hear of your broken arm, Alicia, but glad you were not more seriously hurt.

I'll second the suggestion of books by Bill Bryson; they generally make me laugh.

I'll also give you my standard recommendation of the Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi.  It is a series of some six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor; the books are set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back to him.  The wikipedia entry will give you a good idea of the content of the series.  The first book is  The Little World of Don Camillo.I

Wishing you a speedy recuperation.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Seconding Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. It's funny and interesting. He's a great writer. Obviously, he's associated with liberals now in US politics because he hosts The Daily Show, but this book isn't especially political in that sense - he explores apartheid and issues around race, but in a different context than politics here.

Oh no! So glad the worst you got is a broken arm. Re dogs and seat belts: While we're thankful we didn't need it, we always used one for our Sheltie. We also belt in cat carriers when we take them to the vet. I'm not sure how effective that is but it makes me feel better.

Memoirs:

I'll add my vote for Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. You don't have to watch/enjoy The Daily Show to find it interesting because it's mainly about him growing up mixed race in South Africa during and just after apartheid. 

Betty White's If You Ask Me

Other possibilities: 

The Rosie Project
Any of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have you read To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis? So fun. A humorous time travel mystery historical romance with some animals -- well, it's hard to categorize. There is another book that comes before it -- The Doomsday Book -- but that one is darker and gloomier, and you don't need to read it first. I've read most of her books, I think, and To Say Nothing of the Dog was my favorite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

Have you read To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis? So fun. A humorous time travel mystery historical romance with some animals -- well, it's hard to categorize. There is another book that comes before it -- The Doomsday Book -- but that one is darker and gloomier, and you don't need to read it first. I've read most of her books, I think, and To Say Nothing of the Dog was my favorite.

I loved both those books and "To Say Nothing of the Dog" was also my favorite.  

• Like 1