Menu

What would you do in LA with your mom?

YaelAldrich

My mom has been recently diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer) and I'm trying to be with her as much as I can for the time she has left (this is not a "nice" kind of cancer and almost no one makes it to 5 years, most not past 2 years).  We're going to LA in early May for four days to be in the studio audience for a favorite TV show of hers but I don't have a lot of other plans. I've only been to LA twice and just did Disney.  My mom's not into that kind of thing.  For now she's in good physical shape despite the chemo so we can walk and do active stuff.  I need suggestions for fun stuff to do and see.  Please - help!  Thank you!

• Sad 2

Sorry to read that your mother has that and I hope that God will help her and the doctors and nurses and others who help her. With regard to L.A.   Some things you might consider include: Going to Beverly Hills, walking on Rodeo Drive, and Wilshire Blvd.,  driving around the town. Going to the Santa Monica Pier and having Lunch or a Shrimp Cocktail if you are into seafood.  Driving up to Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear Lake in the San Bernardino mountains East of L.A. Spend a night there.  I think you live where it is flat, so mountains might be an interesting change? You might consider going on a 1/2 day or all day bus tour. They can show you more in one day than you could see on your own in a week.  If you go to Santa Monica you can then drive North on the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu or beyond. If you go to Santa Monica, check out the town.

• Thanks 1

The Getty, Huntington Library and gardens, Griffith Observatory are all beautiful places to visit. Out of the 3 I'd say the Huntington is our favorite. For more outgoing "fun" stuff I like Santa Monica Pier. 

❤️ For you and your mom.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I  second a lot of these places already mentioned.  I will offer some more possibilities.  If your mom has never been to the desert and would like to see one,  Palm Springs, Palm Desert, etc are not that far.  (Used to be about an hour and a half but I haven't been there since 2003).  If she likes art but you think Getty is too much, too expensive, too difficult,  Los Angeles Art Museum is very, very nice.  If she likes prehistoric animals, La Brea Tar Pits where there is a tar pit that the animals got stuck.  The museum, which is super interesting but not very large, has prehistoric just about everything that lived in North America before Ice Age, but not as long as dinosaurs.  Mammoths, dire wolves, precursers of lions, saber tooth cats,  giant sloth, etc,  

If she likes gardens, there are a few more that I can mention.  A lovely view of the ocean can be had by driving up Palos Verdes Drive from either Torrance CA or San Pedro (an area of Los Angeles near Long Beach0  There are several places to stop and walk and it is just a very nice drive and very beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just wanted to say I'm sorry.  My mom used to live there and would probably know much better than I would what she wanted to do.

A few things that come to mind:

• People watch/shop on Rodeo drive.
  • Take one of those tours for tourists
  • Paramount tour
  • Watch a concert at the Hollywood Bowl
  • Griffith observatory  & hike around the Hollywood sign if she has the energy
  • The Getty Center
  • La Brea Tar pits?
  • Santa Monica Pier
  • Venice/muscle beach for people watching
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know how far you are both traveling/ what she likes to do, but if I had time to do it, I’d add a trip to Northern California to see and spend time in Redwood trees.  

If time were right maybe a trip out to Catalina island and chance to see whales

beach certainly 

Hollywood Bowl concert

Los Angeles Art Museum 

Watts Towers art sculpture 

maybe tar pits — if I personally were going I’d go to places from my childhood and that would be one

• Thanks 1

The Last Bookstore in LA is really a neat place.

We also enjoyed the Abalone Cove tide pools, it was one of our absolute favorite stops in all our roadtrips. (top 1 or 2 for me)

Griffith Observatory for sure, fyi arrive early we just went on a random day and it was insanely busy we had to walk a long ways to get to the observatory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh Yael, I am so sorry to hear about your mom's illness.  Your family has been through so much these past couple of years.  Hugs to you.

Others have suggested these already, but I heartily recommend Griffith Observatory, the Getty, Venice/Muscle beach, and the La Brea tar pits.  Malibu is the prettiest place I have ever seen.  Not so much a fan of Santa Monica pier, although Santa Monica itself is fun to walk around.  

You probably already know this, but there are tons of kosher restaurants in the Pico-Robertson area. (If you and your mom eat meat, I enthusiastically recommend Got Kosher?  Also their pretzel challah is fantastic.)

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Yael. I'm glad that you're both taking time to do things though. As terrible as it is, I've been in the situation where the relative refused to do these sorts of things and make these sorts of memories in that situation and that's even worse. I'm sure you're valuing it.

I definitely would go to the Getty and the Griffith Observatory. The Getty's gardens and views are amazing. And I'd eat great food if you're able... I'm thinking you keep kosher, and I know that limits things, but there's such great food in LA, so I hope that includes some great kosher or vegetarian if that's an option for you (I know my kosher friends will eat at vegetarian restaurants, which opens up the possibilities a lot). 

• Like 1

The Queen Mary is always one of my favorite places.  It takes me back to another time and place and makes me feel like I am there.  You can take it leisurely and eat at the restaurant or sit down several places on the ship.

Other spots have already been mentioned.....Huntington Library, Getty.  My parents enjoyed them when I lived in LA and they would visit.  They also enjoyed any of the California Missions and walking around Laguna Beach area, and there are free trolly/busses to get around that area too.

Canters Deli is an Iconic place to eat that is Kosher.  

• Like 1

Sending hugs and prayers.  

I started reading this thread from the last post and kept thinking about being in the audience for something being filmed wasn’t being suggested. That is one of my favorite LA memories so I am glad you will get to do that.......Dh and I have been part of audiences a few times in different studio locations and LA was the best.  We also had a great time with a map to where the stars live(d).  Ours was rather outdated so we saw Bob Hope’s house, Reagan’s etc. It was fun.......might pay for a tour if we were doing it now, we went back in the 90’s.  We went to the beach and drove to both Santa Barbara and Palm Springs for afternoons.

Follow-on to my first reply.  I read the replies following mine and there are many excellent ideas for the OP and her Mother to consider. I forgot about the Missions, such as San Juan Capistrano and Santa Barbara, but that's getting far from L.A., although my suggestion of going to Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear Lake is also quite a journey.  I forgot about the La Brea Tar Pits on Wilshire Blvd.  When I was there, it was before there was a museum.

Olvera  Street has a lot of Mexican things

One thing I remember are Indian things but I don't remember where those were.

I forgot about the possible need for Kosher Food. On Fairfax Avenue, North of Beverly Blvd., I remember Canter's and Cohens Delicatessens there. I googled and Canter's is still there.    http://www.lamag.com/neighborhoodguides/fairfax-avenue/

Just South of Beverly Blvd., at 3rd Street,, on Fairfax Avenue is (or was) the Farmers Market which had a lot of stores and restaurants. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d219483-Reviews-The_Original_Farmers_Market-Los_Angeles_California.html

Try to go when it is not incredibly hot. That's rare, but when the Santa Ana Winds are active, it isn't a fun place to be. I believe that's much later in the year, probably in September or October. 

Catalina Island was neat. We went there once for 2 or 3 nights, when I was a boy. Saw the flying fish, etc.

-

Actually, since you are going in May, if you are staying near the beach, be prepared it is not warm in May.  I was so surprised when we moved to coastal LA area in mid May and how cool and foggy it was usually in the morning and also got quite cool in the evening (sea fog on your car).  More inland, it can be quite hot.  But close to the Pacific Ocean is a very different climate.

• 4 weeks later...

I am retracting my previous suggestions for the OP and her Mother (if they make this trip considering the issues with the older DS discussed in the other thread) that they go to various places by themselves, in a rented car.  For their comfort and safety I believe that it would be better to go on organized bus tours, with other tourists. That way they will see much more, in far less time, and there is "safety in numbers".  This follow-up is because of something I read about Homeless people at and near the Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, etc.

I hope that the Mother of the OP does not suffer.

• Like 2