Menu

Children's books with boy characters who aren't traditionally masculine?

I'm having trouble coming up with many! I'm looking for boys who happily enjoy 'girly' stuff. Any age but especially elementary/middle school.

I can come up with a few but then often the rest of the story is pretty stereotypical with regard to gender roles, or it's much more focussed on the badass girl...

Any ideas?

Ooh. Good question. I can think of good picture books. Princess Boy, William's Doll, Oliver Button is Not a Sissy... And when I searched for lists, I did see ones that had more picture book titles, some of which seemed good. But longer books!

The first two middle grades titles that occurred to me were Better Nate Than Ever, which has a boy who wants to be on Broadway (and also has some minor LGBTQ themes - which are upped a bit in the later books) and Crash, which has the two boys - the one who is the football player and the one who is more "sensitive" and a pacifist. 

This list has some promising titles I haven't read:
https://themidlifemamas.com/kids-books-that-defy-gender-stereotypes/

My list searching turned up a lot of trans/non-binary book lists, which isn't exactly what you mean. I'll be curious what other titles occur to people. I can think of a lot of "boy" books... Andrew Clements, Jerry Spinelli stuff... things like that. But most of the boys don't break the mold of "boy" in any discernible way.

• Like 1

Thanks Farrar! I knew the hive could help!

Yes it's kind of a fine line. I wasn't looking for lgbt stuff specifically (not opposed, just not the focus), and it seems to be kind of an empty space of stories about boys who are just happily non-conforming. 

Maybe Schooled? It's about a boy who has had NO interaction with today's society, raised on an isolated farm by a Grandma stuck in the 60s hippie era, who is thrown into school unexpectedly. He's into yoga and when exposed to TV likes some teen soap opera. 

The Mr. Terupt series is written from a variety of children's point of view. Luke is one of the characters - he's a nerd who when given the chance to be on the wrestling team declines. He ends up in student government in the third book iirc. 

• Like 3

The Mysterious Benedict Society books aren't focused on boys enjoying stereotypical female things but the boys are boys who are geeky and don't fit a strong masculine profile and struggle with who they are and how to fit in.  My younger kids have all enjoyed them.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 3

One book that we loved that falls into that category would be A Dog of Flanders.  There's also a movie based on it.  (It's been so long, that I can't remember if the movie was good or not!)  It's a really beautiful, very old story.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/753065.A_Dog_of_Flanders

Be forewarned that it has a sad ending.  This was a book I was reading out lout to my kids and I had to stop because I was bawling so hard at the end.  

A short story would be The Cap That Mother Made.

• Like 1

Maybe Tom's Midnight Garden?

It's been decades since I read it, so I can't remember Tom's character traits exactly. But it is a time slip fantasy, where he goes repeatedly back in time and spends time in a garden with a girl. He has been quarantined, due to exposure to measles. In my mind, Tom is more the quiet and lonely type, but I can't promise that I'm totally right about that.

Since your son liked The Secret Garden, he might like it.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

Also, the Rowan of Rin series. Also fantasy. Rowan is a sensitive boy who does not fit in with his community' he is shy and small and thinks he is not brave. But the things that make him different are the things that make him the perfect hero of his quests. There are four or five books.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 7:31 AM, Storygirl said:

Also, the Rowan of Rin series. Also fantasy. Rowan is a sensitive boy who does not fit in with his community' he is shy and small and thinks he is not brave. But the things that make him different are the things that make him the perfect hero of his quests. There are four or five books.

Ah, I love Rowan! It was the first book that turned me into a reader.

• Like 1