Menu

Good movies - the "literature" of the movie world?

Tanaqui

We've got only a few months left of our homeschooling life. (Hurrah! The kiddo is literally counting the days until she starts high school - aaaaaaand on that note let me just say that she got into a really good school so we're super excited!)

I want to fill up a few hours in a fun way every week, so I'm thinking classic or ought-to-be-classic or will-be-classic movies. Something we can talk about, preferably things available on Netflix or Amazon prime. The must sees, just like we all have our ideas of what books are must reads. (And this will fill a gap in my own education too! My family was never big on watching movies growing up, and now I read TvTropes for funzies and they're constantly referencing movies I haven't watched or heard of.)

Content wise, if you all think something is appropriate on the sex/violence front for your kids, I probably agree. I'm a bit more liberal about those than a lot of you! However, I'd appreciate a warning if you know for a fact that a movie includes the death of an animal (especially a pet). Any genre is okay, though I'm probably not going to watch more than one or two really super sad movies about the Holocaust or the Titanic or whatevs.

• Like 5

I generally think if you're looking for true classics, believed to be "the greatest" by film types, then the AFI lists are really good. They have ones that are specific to a few genres in their ten top tens too:
https://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

Some of the "greats" that from those lists we've watched include...
North by Northwest
Singin in the Rain
Wizard of Oz
All the President's Men
Shawshank Redemption (this was beloved... one thing I had forgotten until we were watching it was that he gets raped in prison, though it's not really shown, just implied)
Duck Soup
Sound of Music
ET
Star Wars
To Kill a Mockingbird
Back to the Future
Roman Holiday (though this was loathed... sigh... my Audrey Hepburn crush was not appreciated)

And then we also did a lot of 80's and 90's "classics" that I knew my kids wouldn't have seen otherwise, like...
The Princess Bride
The Goonies
Stand by Me
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Matrix
Good Will Hunting
The Truman Show
Groundhog Day

I can think of lots of others we've watched... We watch movies.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few to start. Leaving out too many. But these are essential IMO.

Bicycle Thieves aka Bicycle Thief (Ladri di biciclette) Vittoria De Sica.

Breathless (À bout de souffle). Jean-Luc Goddard.

Citizen Kane. Orson Wells.

Pather Panchali (& Apu Trilogy)  Satyajit Ray 

Seven Samurai. Akira Kurosawa.

Bashu, the Little Stranger.  Bahram Beizai

Godfather 1,2, and 3. Francis Ford Coppola.

Apocalypse Now.  Francis Ford Coppola.

Tin Drum. Volker Schlöndorff.

The Battle of Algiers. Gillo Pontecorvo

The Grand Illusion. Jean Renoir

Gone With the Wind. 

Raging Bull. Martin Scorsese

Good Fellas. Martin Scorsese

Lawrence of Arabia. David Lean

Sunset Blvd. Billy Wilder

Casablanca. Michael Curtiz 

The Big Lewbowski. Cohen Brothers

A Streetcar Named Desiree. Elia Kazan

On the Waterfront. Elia Kazan.

The Deer Hunter. Michael Cimino

Heaven's Gate. Michael Cimino 

City Lights. Charlie Chaplin.

Modern Times. Charlie Chaplin.

The Gold Rush. Charlie Chaplin.

The Killing Fields. Roland Joffé

A Year of Living Dangerously. Peter Weir

Brazil. Terry Gilliam

Doctor Strangelove. Stanley Kubrick

Ju Dou. Zhang Yimou

Roma. Alfonso Cuarón

Bill

• Like 6

Oh, this is a fun topic.

Some of my favourites, some are classics and others a little more personal:

The Piano (there is  sexual content it could be embarrassing for a teen to watch this with a parent.)

Babette's Feast (this is a religious movie.)

Chinatown (though of course this is Polanski who is a horrible man, if that bothers you with regard to watching his movie)

On the Waterfront

Thirty Two Short Films about Glen Goulde

The English Patient

Hot Fuzz

Black Robe (some sex and torture)

In Bruges

Dune

The Gardener (v. mild sex)

The Escapist (no one has seen this so not really a classic just a favourite - it's the one with Brian Cox, not the other one.)

Hideous Kinky (mild sex stuff)

Bad Lieutenant (this is quite violent with a lot of drugs and a rape, I'd preview)

Jesus of Montreal

• Like 4

I second In Bruges, Roman Holiday, and Hot Fuzz, and got lots of ideas from the PPs.

The “classics” for us include

any Marx Bros. film

The Awful Truth

High Noon

It Happened One Night

Master and Commander

Bend It Like Beckham

Glory

Waking Ned Devine

Cold Comfort Farm

A Room with a View

adding: Gosford Park, Stagecoach (1939), Strictly Ballroom, Le Dîner de Cons (French, 1998), Le Magnifique (French, 1973), Henry V (Branagh), Back to the Future, Chariots of Fire, Arsenic and Old Lace, Gran Torino ....

Oh, do NOT miss the Ealing Studios classics "Ladykillers" (1955) and "Kind Hearts and Coronets" (1949)

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 3

We used "Movies as Literature" as part of our LA credit one year. The memorable movies from that batch were:

Arsenic and Old Lace

Rear Window

The Maltese Falcon

To Kill a Mockingbird

Henry V

You might want to take a look at the Teachers Guides from the Academy. I've never used them, but they look interesting: https://www.oscars.org/education-grants/teachers-guide-series

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Must read Fathers and Sons by Turgenev.

Bill

Oh, I already thought of this and put it on the list of possible books for next year. He wanted me to put “nihilism” down for his religion on the summer program forms.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

I think TBL gives an unrealistic look at what it's like to be a nihilist.  Most of them seem a lot less mellow and happy to me.

The nihilists in the movie are blackmailers and rug stealers, so they’re not that chill.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Here are a few to start. Leaving out too many. But these are essential IMO.

Bicycle Thieves aka Bicycle Thief (Ladri di biciclette) Vittoria De Sica.

Breathless (À bout de souffle). Jean-Luc Goddard.

Citizen Kane. Orson Wells.

Pather Panchali (& Apu Trilogy)  Satyajit Ray 

Seven Samurai. Akira Kurosawa.

Bashu, the Little Stranger.  Bahram Beizai

Godfather 1,2, and 3. Francis Ford Coppola.

Apocalypse Now.  Francis Ford Coppola.

Tin Drum. Volker Schlöndorff.

The Battle of Algiers. Gillo Pontecorvo

The Grand Illusion. Jean Renoir

Gone With the Wind. 

Raging Bull. Martin Scorsese

Good Fellas. Martin Scorsese

Lawrence of Arabia. David Lean

Sunset Blvd. Billy Wilder

Casablanca. Michael Curtiz 

The Big Lewbowski. Cohen Brothers

A Streetcar Named Desiree. Elia Kazan

On the Waterfront. Elia Kazan.

The Deer Hunter. Michael Cimino

Heaven's Gate. Michael Cimino 

City Lights. Charlie Chaplin.

Modern Times. Charlie Chaplin.

The Gold Rush. Charlie Chaplin.

The Killing Fields. Roland Joffé

A Year of Living Dangerously. Peter Weir

Brazil. Terry Gilliam

Doctor Strangelove. Stanley Kubrick

Ju Dou. Zhang Yimou

Roma. Alfonso Cuarón

Bill

Pay attention to this man. He works in the industry. ❤️

I would second all of these. Some are hard to watch, with disturbing violence, but still, they have something strong to say. I have seen 23 of them. I absolutely loved Roma--the cinematography is so amazing, it will take your breath away. That's really something to look for--how does the director frame his shots? How does the camera move? Who is highlighted by focus? This is one of the "literary elements" of film, and if you are watching it like you'd be reading literature, then you need to know what the elements so to speak are.

I would add  3 Colors (Trois Coleurs) as favorite "artsy" movies of ours. We love love love the director. Also, Wings of Desire--it's a good movie for the ages of your kids and very gentle. 

• Like 2

Many on my list are already mentioned, here are a few more:

The Hunt for Red October

Sullivan productions of L.M. Montgomery's work

An Austen or two. We found favorite versions of Sense and Sensibility and Northanger Abbey or Pride and Prejudice

Das Boot (many think this is a must - preview, widely varying opinions)

North and South

East of Eden or Rebel without a cause - similar core theme, different stories

October Sky

Cheaper by the Dozen (the original with Clifton Webb & Myrna Loy)

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

On my list below, I'm including classics, discussion-able films, plus some iconic pop-culture films.  I'm sticking with "easier" classics and American films for this list, as they will be the most accessible for just starting out. (However there many very worthy films from around the world that are accessible for "beginners", esp. some of the animated films from Studio Ghibli, or the European makers of Secret of Kells/Song of the Sea/The Breadwinner.) Also, I did not include R-rated films, not knowing the age/sensitivity of the children. You'll see the amount of films drops suddenly in the late 1960s, which is when the Hays Code and the self-censorship of the film industry lifted, so much more mature content in the well-made films. In short, I was trying to think of classics/iconic films would be of highest interest to a tween/young teen.

Previous posters listed a lot of terrific Hollywood classics, but a number of them are R-rated, so preview. Spy Car listed lots of terrific foreign classics, but many are going to be difficult for a child to "get into", and some are out of film movements that are going to be difficult for even adults to appreciate without doing some advance reading about the filmmaker/genre, or first "building up" your cinematic understanding. JMO!

And these resources that might be of interest:
Teach With Movies -- lesson plans across the curriculum using films for discussion
Movies as Literature -- year-long high school program; analyzing films as you would analyze literature
Young Oxford Book of the Movies -- how I WISH they would update this one! However it is a great, short overview to understanding film history, from its invention in 1895 up to about 1995 (time of the book's printing)
Filmsite -- 100 Greatest Films list; 300 Greatest Films by Decade list; Greatest Films by Year lists; lots of info/articles for educating self about film -- just a very few spots with a short amount of adult content

Enjoy self-educating in the world of cinema!

1900-1920 (silent films)
1903 - Trip to the Moon -- images from this film are iconic; watch this, then watch Hugo (2011)

1920s (silent films)
I chose these because they are all iconic actors and the actors or their films are frequently referenced in pop culture or current films. Also because Buster Keaton's filmmaking still inspires today's filmmakers:
1923 - Safety Last -- Harold Lloyd comedy -- iconic image of hanging off the clock
1925 - The Gold Rush -- Charlie Chaplin comedy (linked is the 1942 re-lease with Chaplin's orchestration & voice-overs)
1922 - Cops - classic Buster Keaton & the Keystone Cops comedy
1924 - Sherlock Jr. -- Buster Keaton comedy
1924 - The Thief of Baghdad -- classic Douglas Fairbanks adventure
1925 - Phantom of the Opera -- Lon Chaney horror
1927 - The General -- classic Buster Keaton comedies
(also, first watch this 8 min commentary (Art of the Gag)  to help you appreciate Keaton's work)
1928 - Steamboat Willie -- first Mickey Mouse cartoon with synchronized sound

1930s (talking films / black & white)
1931 - Frankenstein -- horror, Boris Karloff -- lots to discuss
1931 - Dracula -- horror, Bela Lugosi
1932 - The Music Box -- Laurel & Hardy short comedy
1933 - The Mummy -- horror, Boris Karloff
1933 - King Kong -- adventure -- some great themes to discuss
1935 - Night at the Opera -- Marx brothers screwball comedy -- cultural familiarity
1937 - Shall We Dance -- Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers dance/musical -- cultural familiarity
1939 - The Wizard of Oz -- color film; children's / fantastical film frequently referenced -- cultural familiarity
1939 - Gone with the Wind -- color film; classic epic frequently referenced
1939 - Stagecoach -- first of the John Ford/John Wayne westerns -- great themes to discuss

1940s (black & white)
1940 - Fantasia -- color film; Disney animated shorts to classical music
1940 - His Girl Friday -- screwball comedy; good for gender role discussions, plus understanding of the ethics of the time/place
1941 - The Maltese Falcon -- film noir/Dashell Hammet hard-boiled private eye; good for discussing morals and motivations
1942 - Yankee Doodle Dandy -- classic James Cagney dance/musical  -- cultural familiarity
1942 - Casablanca -- classic frequently referenced; good for discussing, but you'll need to do some explaining of the times
1941 - Citizen Kane -- classic frequently referenced; may be a bit dry and difficult to follow for under age 13
1944 - Double Indemnity -- film noir -- great stuff to discuss in this one
1944 - Gaslight -- film noir/suspense
1944 - Arsenic and Old Lace -- screwball comedy
1944 - Meet Me in St. Louis -- color film; Judy Garland musical; can discuss life choices/consequences
1946 - It's a Wonderful Life -- classic Christmas film; iconic film, referenced in culture and in other films
1947 - Miracle on 34th Street -- classic Christmas film

1950s
Looney Tunes cartoons -- color film; ones from the 1950s are classics; these were some of the short films showed before feature films in the theater
1950 - All About Eve -- classic Bette Davis
1951 - The African Queen -- color film; classic Humphrey Bogart / Katherine Hepburn
1952 - Singin' in the Rain -- color film; iconic musical; humorous; shows the upheaval of the Hollywood film industry moving from silent to sound era
1953 - Shane --color film;  iconic Western
1953 - Stalag 17 -- Billy Wilder POW film
1954 - Rear Window -- color film; Hitchcock classic
1954 - Godzilla -- sci-fi -- monster as a way of discussing atomic fears
1956 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers - sci-fi/horror -- alien invasion as a way of discussing fear of communist take over
1956 - Friendly Persuasion -- dramedy; Quaker family on the edge of the Civil War; can discuss war/pacifism
1958 - South Pacific -- color film; musical that tackled prejudice/racism
1959 - Ben Hur -- color film; Cecil B. DeMille epic spectacle set in Ancient Roman times
1959 - North By Northwest -- Hitchcock; "wrong man accused" theme; iconic images

1960s
1960 - The Magnificent Seven -- Hollywood version of Japanese Akira Kurosawa's masterful Seven Samurai
1961 - West Side Story -- Romeo & Juliet re-set as NY gangs and a dance/musical
1962 - To Kill a Mockingbird -- B&W film; Gregory Peck's most iconic role
1962 - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence -- iconic east vs. west Western
1964 - My Fair Lady -- classic Audrey Hepburn musical
1964 - Mary Poppins -- classic Julie Andrews musical
1964 - Doctor Strangelove -- B&W film; black comedy by Stanley Kubrick
1965 - The Sound of Music -- classic Julie Andrews musical
1965 - The Great Race -- humorous, drawing from silent era comedies; discussion on male/female expectations & roles
1965 - Help! -- comedy/music videos of the Beatles; includes "music videos" 2 decades before MTV made them popular!
1968 - Yellow Submarine -- musical animated adventure of the Beatles
1968 - 2001 A Space Odyssey -- sci-fi; Stanley Kubrick iconic film
1968 - Planet of the Apes -- sci-fi; iconic ending image of the film
1969 - Butch Aside and the Sundance Kid -- Paul Newman/Robert Redford classic

1970s
1971 - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -- part creepy part fantastical and all Gene Wilder
1973 -- The Sting -- Paul Newman/Robert Redford "con artist/heist" film
1974 - Young Frankenstein -- Mel Brooks spoof of the original 1931 Frankenstein
1975 - Jaws -- classic Steven Spielberg
1977 - Star Wars: A New Hope -- look for an original version before Lucas monkeyed with it by adding in more CG effects
1979 - The Muppet Movie -- the film that followed from the TV series

1980s
1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark -- iconic Spielberg/Harrison Ford film
1982 - E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial -- iconic Spielberg film (his logo is an image from this film)
1982 - Star Trek: Wrath of Khan -- the iconic Star Trek film
1987 - The Princess Bride - so iconic it is quoted everywhere
1988 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit - animation/live action mix; watch some classic 1940s film noirs first to pick up on that style

1990s
1993 - Nightmare Before Christmas -- early Tim Burton; animated
1993 - Groundhog Day -- Bill Murray comedy; discussion-able
1994 - Forrest Gump -- I actually don't care for this film but it is easy to see how symbolism works in this film, as the liberal & conservative sides of America from 1950-1990 are symbolized through the lives of 2 characters
1995 - Toy Story -- Pixar animation ground-breaker
1997 - Gattaca -- discussion-able
1998 - The Truman Show -- discussion-able

2000s
2000 - O Brother Where Art Thou -- a good introduction to the Coen brothers (filmmakers); references The Odyssey
2000 - The Emperor's New Groove -- Disney animated; very stylized and very referential
2001; 2002; 2003 - Lord of the Rings trilogy of films -- widely diverge from the books, but the films were a huge sensation
2003 - Master and Commander -- discussion-able
2005 -- Batman Begins, and 2008 -- Dark Knight -- a dark re-envisioning of the Batman super hero; discussion-able
2006 - Stranger Than Fiction -- dramedy; discussion-able
2008 -- Iron Man -- first of the Marvel super hero films, and arguably still one of the best
2008 - Wall-E -- discussion-able Pixar animated 

2010s
2010 - Inception -- speculative/action; discussion-able
2011 - Hugo -- references to George Melies and his 1903 film Trip to the Moon (see top of the list)
2011 - Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol -- best of these action series, with a bit more humor than most
2014 - Interstellar -- discussion-able
2014 - Selma -- discussion-able
2014 - The Lego Movie -- so.many.references! comedy; animated
2016 - Arrival -- discussion-able; PG-13, but intense, so preview
2017 - Logan Lucky -- comedy/"heist" film (this actually has discussion-ability -- US southern culture & economy; our view of military vets; etc.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

😄

Lori, you're a doll, thanks! She's exiting 8th this year and next year - off to high school and adolescence! (Gonna boast again that she got into an improbably good high school. I really had thought her lack of grades and statewide test scores (oops) was going to be a dealbreaker, but I guess her portfolio and interview wowed them. I WANT YOU ALL TO BE IMPRESSED.)

For reference, in case you're thinking of making a second list, I trust everybody's judgment implicitly and don't mind R rated movies so long as they're not actually gore-fests with no redeeming value. But no animal abuse or death without a warning - she was sanguine about Sweeney Todd, but that one episode of Futurama, Jurassic Bark? Waterworks, people. For a day and a half.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Pay attention to this man. He works in the industry. ❤️

I would second all of these. Some are hard to watch, with disturbing violence, but still, they have something strong to say. I have seen 23 of them. I absolutely loved Roma--the cinematography is so amazing, it will take your breath away. That's really something to look for--how does the director frame his shots? How does the camera move? Who is highlighted by focus? This is one of the "literary elements" of film, and if you are watching it like you'd be reading literature, then you need to know what the elements so to speak are.

I would add  3 Colors (Trois Coleurs) as favorite "artsy" movies of ours. We love love love the director. Also, Wings of Desire--it's a good movie for the ages of your kids and very gentle. 

Wings of Desire was in my head, but I forgot to add it. So many omissions.

And the Krzysztof Kieślowski's films you mention, Blue/White/Red, are masterful.

Bill

• Like 1

Around that age we tried for some films that would in part explain who certain stars etc often referred to were.  

My son particularly enjoyed some Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, something with Marilyn Monroe, Star Wars (which probably yours have seen, but mine had not and I think it counts as classic now),  Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, The Sting, It’s a Wonderful Life, some Sherlock Holmes movies from various eras Basil Rathbone to Robert Downey Jr, Benedict Cummerbatch and Jonny Lee Miller which was interesting to compare how similar story and characters were handled by different directors and actors and for big screen versus TV.  We both were very sad that there aren’t more Robert Downey Jr Sherlock movies.  

We also saw: 2001 Space Oddyssey which seemed surprisingly dull in 21st century,  but at least references to Hal are now understood.  

Not a classic, I don’t think, but Born Free (about Lion) was enjoyed, and we had both old book and new and old version movies of IncredibleJourney.  Though probably that was younger.  I think we saw both The Bicycle Thief and. Also some other more modern movie with similar themes. Blow Up, possibly.  The Red Balloon.  

Schindler’s List.

Gandhi.  

I decided to give The Godfather a miss because of the horse’s head.  

We also saw movie bersions of a lot of a lot of classic novels even if the movies weren’t great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Leanord Maltin’s movie guide never ever let us down.  Ever.  Get it and watch the 4-star films.  

I don’t often claim to know what I’m talking about...but I’ll say it here:  no kidding—I know what I am talking about.  Get this guide. 4-stars actually means something.  You might not agree with the politics or the social identity or whatever—I don’t always--but you will see GREAT movies and not just those from the last ten years.  

:::hey who stole my soapbox????!!!!:::

There is more than one "Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide" on Amazon. Is there a specific edition you recommend?

Agree with Bill's list if high school students.  Not all would be suitable for Middle School IMHO.

I'd add in Hitchcock. as well.  ...just because it's fun for kids to look for the cameos.  "Rebecca", "Dial 'M' for Murder", "Spellbound",  "Rope", and "Marnie"... as well as the usual "Rear Window" and "North by Northwest".

What about Billy Wilder?  "The Apartment" is a great film.

Original "Sabrina"... with Audrey Hepburn.  

"Dr. Strangelove"! Definitely with today's politics.

"Dr Zhivago"?  "Lawrence of Arabia"? "Ben Hur"?  (The films that I think are worth it to see on the big screen in revivals.)

"Life is Beautiful" (Italian...Roberto Benigni")

"Jean de Florette"/ "Manon" 

What about adding in some Miyazaki animation like "My Friend, Totoro"? 

• Like 1

When my dd was that age we watched through all the seasons of Star Trek (the original) in short order. That was a hoot and it made for a lot of discussions. You'd then of course watch the movies and go through Star Wars while you're at it. I suppose she'll need to see some of the new (Marvel) movies to be up on pop culture. I haven't seen them but the 20 somethings go on about them.

Agree on a list of classics, but not all are conducive to *discussion*. If you go Katherine Hepburn, they will be because she was pushing feminist roles. Same gig with watching through I Love Lucy. Tons you can talk about there, especially when you get the back channel and realize why things were happening, how she was pushing the norm.

I tend to like your older feminist stuff, (Barbara Stanwyck, etc.) anything that is exploring roles of women, so I'd watch all the versions you can of Jane Eyre together and compare, some old and new Pride & Prejudice versions, that kind of thing.

Might be necessary to watch a little Gilbert & Sullivan. There's an adorable one with Angela Lansbury that would be enough to get her started.

You can trace film history, watching movies being remade, but you said you wanted to discuss, not do film history.

I can't think of really great discussion coming from anything with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers but she still needs to watch them, lol. All of them.

So back to discussing, you'd be looking at movies like

-The Morning After (nuclear war and love)

-The Sound of Music (choices, growing up)

-Sabrina, Roman Holiday, My Fair Lady, and basically anything with Audrey Hepburn

-anything with Sidney Poitier. Again, just settle down and start watching. Every single one. You could start with A Patch of Blue, but really they're all mind-boggling. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner will give you Katherine Hepburn and Sidney Poitier together, which is just SO wow discussion-filled. That should be at the top of the list. Start there. Seriously. 

-everything with Katherine Hepburn. Woman of the Year, the movie with the stupid computer (Desk Set), Pat & Mike, all of them.

-Gone with the Wind. It's so ubiquitous to culture and you get so much at once (history, Clark Gable, women's rights, great costumes).

-Wuthering Heights, so you can grapple with the really important things. But then you'll be stumped by versions. Lawrence Olivier is ok but Timothy Dalton kills.

-Good News with June Allyson and Peter Lawford, because the list got too heavy and the themes are well-done. Ok, it's only because Lawford's voice is beautiful. :biggrin:

-Good Doctor--it's adorable in Korean but watch the version in English. They have a theme every episode that ties all the plots together, and it's just brilliantly done, very conducive to discussion.

-Amistad--if you want to push it. Rated R for some nudity but profound.

-agree with Pen on Schindler's List and Ghandi. Add Lawrence of Arabia to that list of you want. Runs in my mind Candice Bergen is in both, but I might be crazy. Nope, she was in Wind and the Lion with Sean Connery, that's what I was remembering. But crazy strong roll for a woman, lots to discuss.

-Gentlemen Prefer Blondes--If you want Marilyn Monroe, this gives you lots to discuss. Or Tony Curtis in Some Like it Hot, but really I think about lines in GPB a lot because of the issues they tackled in such a charming way.

-The More the Merrier with Jean Arthur, Charles Coburn, etc. hits all kinds of issues and just has these awesome lines that enter the vernacular. 

-The Best Years of Our Lives with Myrna Loy and a whole cast of greats. This would probably be #2 on my list. Very powerful, lots to discuss.

-Sergeant York, High Noon, and most other Gary Cooper movies. Meet John Doe, Friendly Persuasion, Ball of Fire. Oh my, yeah. Definitely, lol. Sergeant York explores pacifism. High Noon hits bravery, role of women. 

-The Quiet Man with John Wayne. Living with guys, I've seen way more John Wayne that I'd have cared too, lol. This one is the most universally appealing and it happens to hit some delicious themes on women's rights and make you want to travel at the same time.

-Brigadoon--Here you get Gene Kelly and Van Johnson and Cyd Charisse (score) and beautiful music with themes on work and love that deserve to be discussed. Something lighter to balance out the heavies but still a lot to discuss!

-Meet Me in St. Louis--Ok, this is Judy Garland, and it too has a lot to discuss. Is it ESSENTIAL? I don't know. But it has so many big names and pulls together so much of history at a really pivotal time. It's a time of transition in the movie and you trace it. Not heavy. Gigi would also fall in that category. I happen to really love Gigi.

-An American in Paris, again Gene Kelly and Lesley Carone. Is there anything to discuss? Well sure, more of who we love and why. If you're going there, Casablanca is an essential. Maybe not in 8th grade, but definitely an essential.

Ok, this could go on forever. But I was trying to list things that you could *discuss*.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 3

Ok, had to come back and add Bridge over River Kwai. My lists were a little woman heavy (haha, just a little), but this one has men in it and hits a lot of serious issues. You could throw in Stalag 17 while you're at it, just because William Holden... I think William Holden did a cameo on I Love Lucy once. You could have fun like that, tracing him for a day. :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I watched Blue of the color triology with ds last night and I had forgotten how slow these movies are...I told him Godfather next.

Agree, it is slow. But you are not only watching for the plot, you are looking at symbolism and nuance. And you really need to get the full effect by watching all 3. They have been described as an anti-romance, and an anti-comedy and an anti-tragedy. The characters from one appear in the others, but only on the edges, if you know what I mean. Figuring out how they illustrate liberty, equality and fraternity is fun. I really liked Red, almost the best. 

Love the Godfather, though! Be sure to watch the episode of Modern Family where they "recreate" and homage the Godfather at the end lol

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Agree, it is slow. But you are not only watching for the plot, you are looking at symbolism and nuance. And you really need to get the full effect by watching all 3. They have been described as an anti-romance, and an anti-comedy and an anti-tragedy. The characters from one appear in the others, but only on the edges, if you know what I mean. Figuring out how they illustrate liberty, equality and fraternity is fun. I really liked Red, almost the best. 

Love the Godfather, though! Be sure to watch the episode of Modern Family where they "recreate" and homage the Godfather at the end lol

I’m familiar with the movie and its nuances, thanks. I mostly watch this sort of thing. I was watching with a 14 year old.

42 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I’m familiar with the movie and its nuances, thanks. I mostly watch this sort of thing. I was watching with a 14 year old.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so condescending.  I didn't watch these movies til I was in my forties. For sure, my 14yo self would have found them very slow. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 1:29 PM, madteaparty said:

I watched Blue of the color triology with ds last night and I had forgotten how slow these movies are...I told him Godfather next.

It's always interesting to me to watch an older movie with my kids, and compare the pacing to what is made now.  That is with younger kids, as my eldest is 14.   Even something popular like the newest Star Wars films compared to the original ones - they seem so much quieter and slower, and I can see they notice it too, though I didn't when I saw them as a child.

8 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so condescending.  I didn't watch these movies til I was in my forties. For sure, my 14yo self would have found them very slow. 

Trois Coleurs is a tough sell to a general audience, but I'd go the movies with you anytime.

Bill

1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

It's always interesting to me to watch an older movie with my kids, and compare the pacing to what is made now.  That is with younger kids, as my eldest is 14.   Even something popular like the newest Star Wars films compared to the original ones - they seem so much quieter and slower, and I can see they notice it too, though I didn't when I saw them as a child.

This is what I was trying to say 😉 thank you. And I don’t even watch many blockbusters and zero action movies, so it’s not like my own pace is off 😉 

• Like 1

A couple that I haven't seen mentioned:

Empire of the Sun. I don't remember it getting lots of attention when it came out, but it was so impactful to me. It is still one of my favorites of all time. It does have at least one difficult scene involving someone being killed. 

We all liked Dunkirk, even the ds who usually wants more action and movement. It's a different kind of film, and I was a little confused until my film-buff son explained that it doesn't move chronologically, but jumps back to replay the same scenes from different perspectives. There isn't a lot of dialogue.

She's probably seen this, but in a different genre, I really liked Up. Not just a kids' film. 

I haven't been able to read all the replies, so bear with me if I repeat...

The Lives of Others --set in communist East Germany  (some s*x, brief) Lot of talking points 

Sense and Sensibility (I prefer the one with Emma Thompson)

Ben Hur (my kids went through a phase when they loved this movie.  The Chariot Race!)

District 9 (lots of f-bombs, but at least it is done with a cool S. African accent...)  Very well done CG and great talking points

20 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

Also, special effects and film, though it seemed amazing when some older films were new can look very dated now.  

I think some films that didn’t depend as much on special effects or fast action like Gandhi, instead having more panoramic filming of place have stood up better in those ways.

I want to add:

The Gods Must be Crazy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Also, special effects and film, though it seemed amazing when some older films were new can look very dated now.  

I think some films that didn’t depend as much on special effects or fast action like Gandhi, instead having more panoramic filming of place have stood up better in those ways.

I want to add:

The Gods Must be Crazy

Oh yes, that is a very funny movie.

I agree about effects, they really can age an effect-heavy movie very quickly.  It's always interesting to consider which ones stand up and which don't.