Menu

9th grade science

Help me find something. I'm waiting to see if the drop off place around here offers biology, but if not, I need something else for my rising 9th grade son. He doesn't really like science, and it isn't my favorite subject either, so we really need to make some effort with it. He didn't like Apologia Physical Science. I don't want to pay for an online course, and I don't know that he's ready for a non-self-paced online thing anyway.  He's not an auditory learner at all, so I don't know about GC lectures. He might like Khan or other things that mix text and video, possibly. 

Is it terrible to do chemistry before biology?  He will be doing algebra 2 in 9th and postponing geometry until 10th, probably. I own and like Zumdahl okay, so maybe that, if we go with chemistry.  I own Miller Levine biology; it wasn't a good fit for his older sister, but he might like it okay. I just kind of don't really want to teach biology again yet.  He is a good math student, so I thought maybe chemistry first. I'm just kind of feeling out to sea and don't really know where to start looking for him. 

I'm feeling the same way, unable to commit.  I have Chemistry, I think she could do it, but not sure if it's the best choice.  I know i want to on Biology, it's s heavier course and she needs to ease into textbooks.   Right now I'm debating between Conceptual Physics and possibly Environmental Science.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Which Zumdahl? World of Chemistry is possible with concurrent Algebra 2, but only if student is rock solid with forumlas and such. We did find a few spots where we learned the math of say, Gas Laws in chemistry and it showed up in math a few weeks later.

This one.  When I was in school, honors students did algebra 2 and chemistry 1 concurrently, with no problems. 

We did just learn about inverse proportions in algebra 1 recently, and they talked about the ideal gas law.  It made sense to him.  image.png.a328bc6beb8c87226100a8e90e0afed2.png

Edited by happypamama

Yep, that's what we did in high school too. I think regular high school chemistry is lighter than Zumdahl. :o)

That's the same content (like word-for-word) as World of Chem with a different layout. It's a non-major college text. It's possible. We're doing it, but honestly if I had it to do again, we'd wait a year. She "gets" it and is doing fine, but I think she would have been more confident and had more fun next year. 

• Like 1

What about a physics course like Hewitt? I'm using the high school text book at our co-op with a group of 9th-12th graders. Only algebra 1 is required to do the math problems in it, but there is a problem solving workbook you can get to offer more challenging problems. I'd be glad to share ISBN numbers of the resources I have purchased to go with it. There are also tons of resources online for it. 

• Like 1

Ds14 is doing Chemistry with Dd15 this year, so that I could do the labs with both of them together. He has completed Algebra I and is currently doing Geometry. The math hasn't been a problem (at least no more of a problem than it typically is - so. much. time.) The only problem has been that he seems to feel like he should be able to self-study to the same extent as Dd, like if he has trouble understanding and I go through it with he has failed. He doesn't see to understand that most kids do better with Chemistry if they have a teacher.

• Like 1

Not a problem to wait and do Biology until later. There is no "set in stone" order for the sciences -- it is more a matter of having mastered the math that will be needed to go with the science subject.

Would he find a non-traditional science more interesting, and would that help him with the transition into high school? Check out the links to past threads below for ideas. (All of those threads are linked on PAGE 5 of "High School Motherlode #2", pinned at the top of the high school board.)

What about doing an online class: Clover Creek Conceptual Physics online (taught by WTMer MorningGlory) or Clover Valley Chemistry (taught by WTMer DiCentra)? Both have received GREAT reviews, work with your student where they are, and have videos of support as part of the class. -- ETA: oops! Scratch that! I just re-read your post and saw you didn't want online.

Or, what about going with a more hands-on approach? So if doing Chemistry, take a look at Spectrum, or possibly Friendly Chemistry (which also has videos). Or, what about going completely hands-on and not worrying about formal Science and enroll in a Rocketry group or Robotics group/competition for the year? Or do some physics alongside to enhance ability in the group?

Just brainstorming some ideas, lol. BEST of luck in your planning! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Botany / Horticulture
Looking for interesting Botany and/or Agricultural Science curriculum
I've updated my free Botany curriculum
Botany with a focus on hydroponics
Zoology
High school level Zoology
High school Zoology
Anatomy / Physiology
Anatomy and Physiology courses?
What to use for Anatomy and Physiology?
Need Anatomy and Physiology course
Marine Biology
Marine Biology - what have you used?
Ideas for Marine Biology/Oceanography field trips
Environmental Science
Environmental Science
Oak Meadow Environmental Science - 1 semester?
AP Environmental Science with PA Homeschoolers?
1 semester online Environmental Science?
Favorite resources for Environmental Science?
Forensic Science
Forensic Science curriculum?
Forensic Science
Forensics
Forensic Science
Geology / Earth Science
Suggestions for Earth Science text and curriculum materials?
Anyone know of an online rigorous Earth Science course
Earth Science for 9th grader
Earth Science?
Mr Q's Advanced Earth Science or Oak Meadow - opinions?
How do I add labs to Earth Science?
Astronomy
Astronomy
Astronomy Recommendations?
High School Astronomy?
Can you help me design an Astronomy course?
Meteorology
Meteorology course?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mom31257 said:

What about a physics course like Hewitt? I'm using the high school text book at our co-op with a group of 9th-12th graders. Only algebra 1 is required to do the math problems in it, but there is a problem solving workbook you can get to offer more challenging problems. I'd be glad to share ISBN numbers of the resources I have purchased to go with it. There are also tons of resources online for it. 

I was considering physics, but I have reservations for the same reasons I was considering it.  Older sister will be a senior and will very possibly be doing physics since she hasn't done it yet.  So on the one hand, I can see them doing it together and having fun doing some labs together.  But on the other hand, different students, very different learners, and I don't want any issues there.  So I don't know.  If the drop off place offers physics, I might have both of them do it.

I would love the ISBN numbers of your physics resources if you don't mind -- thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meriwether said:

Ds14 is doing Chemistry with Dd15 this year, so that I could do the labs with both of them together. He has completed Algebra I and is currently doing Geometry. The math hasn't been a problem (at least no more of a problem than it typically is - so. much. time.) The only problem has been that he seems to feel like he should be able to self-study to the same extent as Dd, like if he has trouble understanding and I go through it with he has failed. He doesn't see to understand that most kids do better with Chemistry if they have a teacher.

Good to know -- thank you!  DS1 isn't so much into self-studying, so he will do well with me teaching him whatever it is, I think.

Time is always an issue as the kids get older, sigh.

36 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Not a problem to wait and do Biology until later. There is no "set in stone" order for the sciences -- it is more a matter of having mastered the math that will be needed to go with the science subject.

Would he find a non-traditional science more interesting, and would that help him with the transition into high school? Check out the links to past threads below for ideas. (All of those threads are linked on PAGE 5 of "High School Motherlode #2", pinned at the top of the high school board.)

What about doing an online class: Clover Creek Conceptual Physics online (taught by WTMer MorningGlory) or Clover Valley Chemistry (taught by WTMer DiCentra)? Both have received GREAT reviews, work with your student where they are, and have videos of support as part of the class. -- ETA: oops! Scratch that! I just re-read your post and saw you didn't want online.

Or, what about going with a more hands-on approach? So if doing Chemistry, take a look at Spectrum, or possibly Friendly Chemistry (which also has videos). Or, what about going completely hands-on and not worrying about formal Science and enroll in a Rocketry group or Robotics group/competition for the year? Or do some physics alongside to enhance ability in the group?

Just brainstorming some ideas, lol. BEST of luck in your planning! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Botany / Horticulture
Looking for interesting Botany and/or Agricultural Science curriculum
I've updated my free Botany curriculum
Botany with a focus on hydroponics
Zoology
High school level Zoology
High school Zoology
Anatomy / Physiology
Anatomy and Physiology courses?
What to use for Anatomy and Physiology?
Need Anatomy and Physiology course
Marine Biology
Marine Biology - what have you used?
Ideas for Marine Biology/Oceanography field trips
Environmental Science
Environmental Science
Oak Meadow Environmental Science - 1 semester?
AP Environmental Science with PA Homeschoolers?
1 semester online Environmental Science?
Favorite resources for Environmental Science?
Forensic Science
Forensic Science curriculum?
Forensic Science
Forensics
Forensic Science
Geology / Earth Science
Suggestions for Earth Science text and curriculum materials?
Anyone know of an online rigorous Earth Science course
Earth Science for 9th grader
Earth Science?
Mr Q's Advanced Earth Science or Oak Meadow - opinions?
How do I add labs to Earth Science?
Astronomy
Astronomy
Astronomy Recommendations?
High School Astronomy?
Can you help me design an Astronomy course?
Meteorology
Meteorology course?

As always, thank you, Lori!  

I don't know.  That's really the answer to all of it, haha: I don't know.  He would probably love a robotics or rocketry group, but I'm stretched pretty thin with wanting to add more outside stuff.  I've attempted student-led science with him, but he's not really curious about it (unlike history, where he does have a lot of curiosity to pursue his own interests).  We do own a Great Course on Robotics, so that would maybe be a good option for him, and maybe a good intro to learning from something other than a textbook.  Very visual learner.  So maybe I just need to chill and wait to see what is offered at the drop off place where his older sister also takes classes (so, no extra driving) and not make a decision until after that.  In the meantime, I will look at all those amazing links you've shared, and I'll see what interests him.  Astronomy sounds cool and would probably also appeal to the younger brother crew, so DS1 would probably enjoy that too.

We joined Schoolhouseteachers dot com a couple of years ago for the cheap access to Mr. D's self paced geometry that year, and have stuck with it choosing some things from there. I have been looking through it today, and just found a self paced biology class with video lectures from Core Academy (haven't researched them yet, but watched the first video.) They line up the readings with each lesson to go with different typical homeschool textbooks like BJU and Apologia. So dd can watch the video with the preprinted notes they provide, then do the reading from Apologia because we have it, and they provide worksheets and definition pages.  Then for each chapter there is a quiz. I am thinking this is what we are going to do for biology. I will have to do labs on my own, but we have begun some of them already this year, as it has become kind of a hobby for her. So we have been keeping track of activities, microscope work, and field trips and extra readings we have done for biology this year to add to whatever class we do next year. Officially she is doing a physical science class with lab with a co-op class for this her 9th grade year.  Next year we will just make sure she is doing microscope work weekly and do a handful of dissections by the end of the year. 🙂