Menu

What to use for Anatomy and Physiology?

A dual enrollment course may be the best option for a full course.

I could recommend a couple of excellent texts (Patton&Thibodeau's is the gold standard), but they wouldn't make for a standalone curriculum.  You'd have to construct a curriculum around the course.  I believe Thibodeau's text can be ordered with access to an online course, but not sure...

ETA:  I see the latest editions come with free electronic resources: 3D Interactive Anatomy, A&P Online Course, electronic coloring book, and online tutoring.  There is a link on Kevin Patton's blog about some of the adaptive learning tools available for the course.  These generally cover material in varying depths until the student masters the content.  So, you could make your own course fairly reasonably.

http://pattonap.blogspot.com/2015/03/students-have-fun-and-learn-quickly.html

Edited by Mike in SA
  • Like 1

:bigear:

I'm looking into this as well (although I won't need it for a couple of years.)  Apologia Advanced Biology: Human Body looks promising.

Apologia's Anatomy is a very light covering of the topic, but is a nice introduction. It covers a little more than what is in other Biology books that include anatomy, but is less than half of what would be in a college level course. I used it with my youngest because I just could not find a better option that was teachable.

Anatomy at the college level usually requires college Chemistry &/or Biology as prerequisites. Dd will be a nursing major and we have looked at quite a few schools and all Anatomy classes have had college science prerequisites. It has varied if it was one, the other or both required though. Because of the pre-req it isn't an option for a student just starting DE.

Here's what I posted back in May 2015:

I taught anatomy and physiology in our small co-op this past year.  I used Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology (4th Ed.) by Valerie Scanlon, which was recommended by someone else on this board.  [There are newer editions out--this one is available very cheaply though.]  I *really* liked it.  I thought it had good, clear explanation, but it was not so incredibly detailed that it was fit for someone heading off to medical school in another year or so.  Plus, you can also get a student workbook to go along with it.  This has activities for each chapter, as well as 2 multiple choice practice exams for each chapter.  I ended up giving 5 exams over the course of the year, instead of one after each chapter, but I pulled a lot of questions from these practice exams, which was really helpful.  For labs, I used a lab book by Marieb, which was good.  I used some of her activities, and we dissected many sheep organs, which I got from Bio Corporation (they had the best prices). [ETA in June 2016:  They seem to have gone out of business because I can't find their website anymore.  Too bad, because their prices were excellent.]  I think we dissected a sheep heart, brain, eye, and kidney.

It really fun year--my favorite high school class to teach, I think!

• Like 2