Menu

High School level zoology

My 15yo ds has expressed a desire to study zoology for one of his remaining two years of science. He specifically is interested in mammals, reptiles, and birds. I can't find an actual course. I've searched these boards and found a couple of recommendations for texts (I think college texts) that are suitable; after checking one of them out of our library, I found it's more focused on evolution than we'd like. We would prefer something fairly neutral or from a creation point of view.

I'm not opposed to pulling together our own, but I would like a spine of sorts. I don't have a problem with beefing up something like the Apologia elementary series (we haven't done any of those, but I've seen them) although I'd love to hear from someone who has done that. I'm not worried about how rigorous it is in terms of what potential colleges will think, but I do want him to be stretched and challenged. Whatever we use will need to be fairly in-depth, as he knows a lot about animals already - this has always been one of his areas of interest.

Any suggestions or ideas? 

What about using something like Science Shepherd Biology as a spine?  You could work through the units on animals, do dissection labs or any labs based on zoology, add in some living books, maybe some documentaries and nature study/nature walks.  You could have these things focus on any topic he is interested in- birds, aquatic animals, reptiles, etc.  You'd have to put it together yourself, though - only bad thing.

Is he interested in ocean animals?  Apologia has a marine biology course... 

• Like 1

The Great Courses has a new series of 24 lectures, Zoology: Understanding the Animal World, that you may be interested in?  It's not clear to me from the lecture titles how much it pushes evolution, but see what you think. It's on "sale" now 'til the end of the year I think, or you may be able to request it from your library. For the most part, we have been pleased with TGC.

Edited to correct the course title!

HTH

Edited by LLucy
  • Like 1

The Great Courses has a new series of 24 lectures, Zoology: Understanding the Animal World, that you may be interested in?  It's not clear to me from the lecture titles how much it pushes evolution, but see what you think. It's on "sale" now 'til the end of the year I think, or you may be able to request it from your library. For the most part, we have been pleased with TGC.

Edited to correct the course title!

HTH

Thank you! This looks like an interesting resource.