Menu

Forensic Science

If you've done forensic science with your kids, what extras did you find worthwhile?

Experience with Illustrated Guide to Home Forensic Science Experiments? Or other suggestions to make this a lab credit?

Virtual labs? I've been searching, but so many require access to particular labs, slides, and such. The CSI website looks good. Murder at Oil Fields maybe.

Favorite DVDs? We'd love to add some movies or seasons.

The kids will start 10th and 11th soon. I'd like to season this with fun extras. We've got a Saferstein text and website, and I've seen the Bsapp and GPB freebies. I'll see if the local PD will give us a tour of their lab, and we have a couple friends that are experts in particular areas who would do a fieldtrip of sorts for them.

We've got a Saferstein text and website, and I've seen the Bsapp and GPB freebies. 

This is pretty much exactly what we did. I didn't count it as a lab science and I did find a couple of websites (I remember a virtual lab tour) and some good Youtube videos, but I just checked and I must have deleted that folder of bookmarks, so I'm really no help at all. Ds and I did really enjoy it though :). The links from the Pearson websites were hit and miss, but try them, because some of them were really good.

• Like 1

I'm teaching this at co-op this year.  I'm offering it as a full year course and either half a credit for lab if that is all they do, or if they do the textbook too, it could be a full credit.  I'm using Crime Scene Investigations Real Life Science-Labs for Grades 6-12.  The labs themselves I think will be lots of fun; creating a crime scene they have to sketch, analyzing fingerprints, blood typing, soils, footprints, fabrics, blood spatter, etc.  I can't say more since we haven't done it yet, but it looks good on paper.  LOL  

• Like 3

This may not be what the OP is looking for, but I thought someone might find it useful.

Our main chemistry textbook this year was Investigating Chemistry: A Forensic Science Perspective. It was written by a community college professor, so high school is probably the earliest I would recommend it for most students. True crime investigations and the science used in them are the basis for introducing beginning chemistry. It was the perfect chemistry book for us.

We didn't finish it because it covered more than a high school entry level chemistry class. My daughter read most, if not all of it, but she didn't actively study every single chapter. 

I contacted the publisher to access online student resources and teacher's manual. 

So grateful to have found it! Maybe someone else will find it a good fit as well. 

• Like 1

This may not be what the OP is looking for, but I thought someone might find it useful.

Our main chemistry textbook this year was Investigating Chemistry: A Forensic Science Approach. It was written by a community college professor, so high school is probably the earliest I would recommend it for most students. True crime investigations and the science used in them are the basis for introducing beginning chemistry. It was the perfect chemistry book for us.

We didn't finish it because it covered more than a high school entry level chemistry class. My daughter read most, if not all of it, but she didn't actively study every single chapter. 

I contacted the publisher to access online student resources and teacher's manual. 

So grateful to have found it! Maybe someone else will find it a good fit as well. 

Ack!  I just realized I wrote the title incorrectly. It should read:

Investigating Chemistry: A Forensics Science Perspective