Menu

High School Astronomy

41 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

"Astronomy" -- past thread has a lot of great ideas for resources as well as links to some specific activities and supplements. I cannot get this reply to accept the link or even the URL, but if you do an online search of "well-trained mind forum, astronomy", the first item pulled up is this Sept. 23, 2016 thread.

Looks like many people use and recommend Understanding the Universe (Teaching Company lecture series).

I did read that thread yesterday but didn't get much help, other than the 2 I already mentioned above.  It seemed like a lot of books on observing or activities, etc.  I'm looking for a full curriculum.  The best complete text that I can find is the Self-Teaching Guide but I guess I'm hoping for something more.  I suppose we could use that as our "spine" and then flesh it out with DVDs, books, etc. 

I just checked our library and they actually have the Understanding the Universe DVD set!  I didn't even think of getting it because we couldn't afford it, so glad we can check it out!  Is it a complete credit?  I'm assuming it is since it is so many DVDs and looks like a coursebook too.

• Like 1

Another possibility is the Distance Learning Astronomy course my DD is taking at this time. She remarked that she likes the textbook, which is normally used in Colleges for non-stem Majors. She is in High School and they spread it out over 2 semesters. The is in TTU K12 (formerly TTUISD). Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2018 at 12:31 PM, Classically Minded said:

I've only been able to find 2 High School Astronomy courses - Self-Teaching Guide and then one on Christianbook, Survey on Astronomy.  Are there anymore?

I would also like to hear from anyone that has used the above 2 courses and how you liked it or didn't like it.

I have looked at this one:  https://experienceastronomy.com/

For fall, ds is taking this course at CLRC: http://www.clrconline.com/astronomy/  This one is just a semester long class, but looking over the syllabus and speaking with the teacher, I'm pretty pleased with the planned rigor of this course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another one that you should be able to find at CBD is Signs & Seasons, but it is more "classical astronomy" which may be slightly different than modern astronomy courses. Still, it looks really interesting and has lots of field work.

My son is using Survey of Astronomy this year. He's really enjoyed it. It is a very Christian course. There are two DVDs to watch but most of the course is in the format of "read and then do short answer worksheets". There are some activities but my son doesn't want to do any of them. There is no lab work scheduled so you would have to add your own if you wanted it. However, the books are beautiful and my son has found it interesting.

• Thanks 1

I haven't used this myself, so I hesitate to suggest it, but Kolbe has a high school astronomy course (and here) for which you can also get course plans so you don't have to map it out yourself. An acquaintance used it and liked it.  I flipped through the text very briefly once and thought I'd take a closer look at it as an option if my kids were ever interested in astronomy.

I don't know how heavy on theology it is. I have a non-Christian friend who has used Kolbe for a couple of courses because she liked the texts and the ready-to-go lesson plans. She said it has been easy for them to skip over the theology in the courses they've done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

everything I know about is mentioned above.  Crossroads was on my list but expensive.  Signs & Seasons(classical astronomy) wasn't what my dd wanted.   She has this other program that was expensive and came with an astroglobe, but again was focused on the night sky and not so much all of astronomy.  

We bought the Masterbooks Survey of Astronomy.  She's excited about it.

I found and saved these but haven't used them.  Thinking if the interest continues it gives us somewhere to go after the Survey course. 

http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/video/bettsclass/

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-282j-introduction-to-astronomy-spring-2006/

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, yvonne said:

I haven't used this myself, so I hesitate to suggest it, but Kolbe has a high school astronomy course (and here) for which you can also get course plans so you don't have to map it out yourself. An acquaintance used it and liked it.  I flipped through the text very briefly once and thought I'd take a closer look at it as an option if my kids were ever interested in astronomy.

I don't know how heavy on theology it is. I have a non-Christian friend who has used Kolbe for a couple of courses because she liked the texts and the ready-to-go lesson plans. She said it has been easy for them to skip over the theology in the courses they've done.

My DD14 is wanting to take it in a year, so I don't think this will work for her.  It says it is recommended for 12th grade, so probably a bit more advanced for her at this point.