Menu

Earth science?

The Tarbuck book is great but long. I ended up buying the Science 101 books, Geology, Oceans, Weather, and Ecology.  They are more like a reference book with 2-4 pages devoted to each subtopic.  Excellent as a quick guide and easy to read.  The Great Courses and TGCPLUS (subscription based) have lecture series to cover Geology, Meteorology, and Oceanography.  I don't think I found one that I felt really covered Ecology well. Lastly I think CK12's Earth Science is an excellent resource (paired with either a book/books or with video lectures) or even by itself. 

• Like 1

Global Systems Science!!

Which until last week was all available for free online, but it looks like they are changing up their website and making the material available for a fee. It's still a small fee, but it's a drag because you can't see all the material now. It's definitely one of the less user friendly websites out there, but the material is really solid.

http://128.32.86.250/gss/index.html

Ohhhkay - well, here is the original website I've been using; not sure what is going on with this . . . 

http://www.globalsystemsscience.org/

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 2

Thanks!

I'm not understanding Big History Project. Documentaries arranged by field? We'd need a whole credit rather than just supplements. A specific school DS is very interested in requires an earth science credit in addition to the big three.

I'll poke around those websites! I see the 101 books at Half Price Books regularly; I'll flip through one.

Any others?

I'm not understanding Big History Project. Documentaries arranged by field? We'd need a whole credit rather than just supplements. A specific school DS is very interested in requires an earth science credit in addition to the big three.

I said as part of your course, but there's more than enough to have a whole credit using the Big History Project as the spine if you're comfortable with science or willing to learn side by side, or maybe have a text around to read up on areas of interest.  Using the Big History project for a class does take some prep time, but it's pretty engaging and up-to-date and does have a lot of materials to help use it for a class. Here's one teaching guide, but I'd guess there are others around.  You could use the guide and then explore in more depth the areas that interest you and your DC as you go.  For earth science, you'd probably be more focused on Part 1 (Part 2 is on humans). 

Edited by Brad S

Thanks!

I'll poke around those websites! I see the 101 books at Half Price Books regularly; I'll flip through one.

Any others?

A lot of people will use Earth Science at the beginning of high school, but I think that limits you somewhat in the level of challenge and demonstrating that it truly is high school level. My youngest has had honors conceptual physics, honors chemistry, and AP Biology. This year we are doing a class that combines areas of study that are relevant to his interests in hiking, sailing, and scuba diving. Tarbuck's is used for just over half the year, while the marine biology text is used for the rest of the time.  Both texts are college level and it's very helpful to have a grasp of concepts like atomic structure and thermodynamics.  In college, earth science and marine biology  are often semester long.

This is just another way to approach it and there are lots of resources out there.

• Like 1