Menu

Anyone know of an online rigorous Earth Science course?

Thanks! I will consider that. I see they use Novare's text, which is one I was considering going through on our own. I had written to Novare and asked how to beef up the program to make it high-school-level, and they recommended adding in some astronomy. 

Bright Ideas Academy also has had an earth science that "goes up to" 10th grade. Their website has been having issues.

K12 has an Honors Earth Science. Has anyone taken classes from them? http://www.k12.com/curriculum/high-school-program-courses/high-school-course-list/honors-earth-science-honors-sci114.overview.html

Edited by birchbark

Unless you're looking for a young earth/creationist perspective, I would avoid earth science at TPS. We attempted a geography course with them years ago, but dropped after it became clear age of earth, fossil record, etc. would be a heavy focus of the course/teacher. I really did not see that coming and will forever read the syllabus closely and evaluate for worldview before enrolling in an online class, regardless of the subject matter. Of course, if your family is YEC, it may be a good thing. Just a thought. Wish I had a recommendation to offer, but we haven't done any earth science yet.

Took a look at your blog linked in your signature above. Lovely...

• Like 1

Unless you're looking for a young earth/creationist perspective, I would avoid earth science at TPS. We attempted a geography course with them years ago, but dropped after it became clear age of earth, fossil record, etc. would be a heavy focus of the course/teacher. I really did not see that coming and will forever read the syllabus closely and evaluate for worldview before enrolling in an online class, regardless of the subject matter. Of course, if your family is YEC, it may be a good thing. Just a thought. Wish I had a recommendation to offer, but we haven't done any earth science yet.

Well it could be an interesting class, because I believe Novare (the textbook publisher) is OE. I wonder how they will handle that. We ourselves are in a strange place, with a foot in either camp. We believe in a recent, literal 6-day creation, but we also see evidence in Scripture for what is called the "gap theory," which may allow for the earth itself being much older. 

Not trying to start a debate here, just explaining our perspective in relation to finding an earth science course. I don't believe either YE or OE would be offensive to us.

Makes me want to sign up for the class just to see how they approach it.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

DD has just finished semester 1 of K12. Not the honors version, but apart from the specific honors projects in your link the content has been the same.  What would you like to know?

Does your DD find the class challenging? Engaging? What grade is your DD in? How frequent/long are the classes? What is the workload? What type of assignments/feedback is given? Do you feel it was worth the price? Any info you can give is great!

DD is taking Earth Science as one of her 10th grade courses. She tells me that this is her favourite class, and I like that she has to take notes for each lesson as this is an important skill.  The workload is 60 minutes a day for 5 days each week.  If there is a lab or a live class that will run over.  A live class is usually 45 minutes, depending on how many students show up, and they are recorded and available at any time. The live classes are not very frequent, one or two each month, but DD has contact with a teacher whenever she wants.  The assignments are a mix of short quizzes, which are graded by computer, longer multiple choice tests and some short answer written problems marked by the teacher, and lab reports/projects/discussion boards which are also graded by the teacher.  The feedback comes within a day or so. I don't think the content is particularly challenging, but it is definitely high school level and not middle school.  I have compared her work with the CPO Earth Science text for middle school and it is much more advanced.  The actual work on computer is supplemented by a reference guide that is an e-book.  There is not a lot of actual reading, the reference guide is more about illustrations and photos explaining a concept.

There is plenty of reference to the age of the earth, evolution etc.

For us they are good value, as DD has some learning issues which make things harder for her and we have found that the set up is ideal for allowing her to be successful.  She is signed up to start more courses soon, as we are all very pleased with how the first semester has gone.

• Like 1

Well it could be an interesting class, because I believe Novare (the textbook publisher) is OE. I wonder how they will handle that. We ourselves are in a strange place, with a foot in either camp. We believe in a recent, literal 6-day creation, but we also see evidence in Scripture for what is called the "gap theory," which may allow for the earth itself being much older.

Not trying to start a debate here, just explaining our perspective in relation to finding an earth science course. I don't believe either YE or OE would be offensive to us.

Makes me want to sign up for the class just to see how they approach it. :ph34r:

You last statement really jumped out at me.

If Novare is OE Creation, then I think you'd glean useful info by contacting the Instructor directly about her/his (?) philosophical approach in handling the theories.

They may be deliberately using an OE text, and the teacher may add in YE materials to create a lively, inquisitive atmosphere and to challenge both sides. (Just speculating here)

Making for a really interesting course based on ideas and evidence, not necessarily an agenda.

Plus, it may appeal to a wider audience.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...