Menu

7th Grade Planning 2019-2020

FarmingMomma

I haven't seen one for 7th grade yet.

Here's our plan so far:

Math: Saxon Algebra I

Language Arts: First half of Writing with Skill 2, Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, maybe some Rod & Staff English 7 (just the grammar portion) or MP Grammar Recitation 4

History: 20th Century.  K-12 Human Odyssey Vol. 3 and lots of books and movies about the World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and the Cold War

Science: Novare Earth Science, nature study, Agriscience, Invertebrate Zoology (Fall) and Vertebrate Zoology (Spring) online via Homeschool Connections

Foreign Languages: Third Form Latin, French 1B online with Global Goose Languages

Other: Logic, Norse Mythology (CLRC?), Linguistics (Excavating English? Online G3?)

Edited by FarmingMomma

Tentative plans for dd1

edited 4/08

Math- CLE7; Supplement HoE

Spelling-Megawords  2 & 3

Grammar- Well-Ordered Language 1+ 2A

Writing- Writing across the curriculum

Lit- Garlic Press- Hobbit; MP- Anne of Green Gables & Lion Witch and Wardrobe; Short Stories and Poetry w/ Cover Story

World Geography and Culture- Lit and Project-based

Science- Oak Meadow Earth Science 7th

French- Getting Started w/ French 

Electives- PE (full year); Cooking (1/2 year) Handicrafts- Sewing and Crocheting (1/2 year); Finance?? Health??

Family Studies:

Lit: Poetry, Blue Fairy Book & Harry Potter; Shakespeare Study???

Edited by soror

This is what we're thinking:

Math - AOPS Counting and Probability (probably mostly over the summer, or sooner as he only has 3 ch left in Intro to Algebra) and AOPS Geometry

Spelling - thinking we are mostly done with this. Maybe we'll do the high school level of Phonetic Zoo

Grammar - Winston Advanced

Literature - read books of his choice from my list and discuss using Teaching the Classics method.

Writing - Writeshop 1

Vocabulary - Vocabulary from the Classical Roots A

Logic - he wants to do Fallacy Detective and the Art of Argument

History - SOTW 2 with Kingfisher History and Human Odyssey using WTM method

Science - I am thinking RSO Astronomy 2 and RSO Earth 2 (if it is ready)? I wish there were more secular choices..

Latin - Finish Lively Latin 2

Duolingo - continue working on Spanish and Norwegian 

Programming - not sure where to go with this... He has done everything Scratch book and video we could find. Learned Python and Pygame with a class sponsored by the university and did the highest level. And did a online class in JavaScript. Maybe we  will find an intermediate JavaScript class. I have a few JavaScript books he hasn't worked through yet.

Piano, Ninja classes, running, sports, scouts

And who knows what else...  This is my crazy driven child. I wish some of it would rub off onto his sisters.

Still in the works, but...

Math:Principles of Mathematics finish 1 and into 2

Spelling: Megawords 1 & hopefully 2

Lit: Homemade gathering of poems and books, Nesbits Shakespeare and another shakespeare for kids book

Writing: The Paragraph Book 2 & 3, maybe add Twisting Arms

History: From Adam To Us-Notgrass (not sure if the lit books will be read alouds, or if I'll find easier ones to assign as independent reading since I'll be reading aloud the text)

Geography: shepperd & maybe Trail Guide to World History

Science: Exploration Education Advanced

Latin: Finish GSWL then move to Visual Latin 1

Logic: Thinking Toolbox, Fallacy Detective & Logic to the Rescue

Edited by alisha

Here's the plan so far:

Math: Mr D's self paced Algebra 1

Spelling: MegaWords 5 and 6

Literature: TOG Year 3 Lit.

Writing: WriteShop 1 or WWS 1

Grammar/Vocab: MCT Level 4

History/Geography: TOG Year 3

Science: Work on science related Frontier Girls badges as unit studies 

Foreign Lang.: Tell Me More German program, Duolingo

Art: ?

Music: ?

Coding: ?

PE: Competitive gymnastics, possibly a dance class

7th grade!?!?! 

Math- Algebra...AOPS? I honestly don't know because I thought she wouldn't start it until 8th, but she will be ready by September, or December at the latest. 

Science- Carbon Chemistry the first semester, advanced chemistry the second semester. The Story of Science by Hakim for both semesters

History- Bookshark level 7. 

English- Analytical Grammar. Vocabulary from Classical Roots. BraveWriter. 

Journalism- Elements of Journalism. 

Foreign Language- Latin. I'm not totally sure what program yet. I will give an evaluation in June and make a decision then. She's also taking ASL next year.

Literature (Books I assign and we discuss)- A Demon Haunted World, Diary of Anne Frank, Doubt: A History, Animal Farm. We will also do poetry.

The tentative plan is:

Math: MIF Course 2B, 3A, and 3B

Language Arts: CLE 6

Literature: Lightening Lit-finish 7 and half of 8

Spelling: Megawords

Science: Finish RSO Bio 2 and start RSO Earth 2 if it comes out

History: Reading living books-20th century

Music: Piano and choir

Spanish: plan to start this in November after my dd's bat mitzvah. One language at a time is our limit! Lol Thinking Homeschool Spanish Academy.

Art: Projects at home and some classes at local art museum

Geography: monthly presentations on countries for Geography club and maybe some sort of work book?

I may as well say that I don't know what I'm doing next year on this thread, too. I often have a plan in place by February, or at least some hopes and dreams. This year, I just haven't worked on plans much at all. This is what is most likely based on what I already own.

Math: A second year of Algebra. He is in Jacobs now. I'll give him a choice between AOPS and Foerster for next year.

History and Literature: TOG Year 1 Dialectic Level

Science: Apologia General Science

Foreign Languages: Latin for Children B and something for Spanish

Other Language Arts: Writing and Rhetoric books 7 & 8, Rod & Staff 7, AAS 6 or 7

Beyond those best guesses, I don't have any idea what he'll be doing.

Usually I have everything planned out by February, but I am still all over the place. I am teaching part time at a hybrid school right now and may be continuing next  year. . . but my rising 7th grader is resistant to taking any classes there and wants to remain completely at home.

Current super tentative plans:

BSGFAA

LA: AG Season 2, MW books 7-8, writing is up in the air, lit will tie into history

History: Ancients but not sure with what (BP or Omnibus 1 are top contenders

Science: Anatomy - fall and EM Elements -- spring

Math Pre-Algebra with either DO or Mr. D

Logic- Fallacy Detective

Spanish- maybe BJU or ???  Getting Started with Spanish

Edited by ByGrace3

23 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Would you mind sharing how you schedule all this in a week?

Son 4 will be my 7th grader this year. I have math but that is it. Loving these ideas. What would you do for a younger 7th grader?

He is my super motivated and independent learner.  For the last few years he's always started his day by doing his math, then Latin, and then the order of the other subjects has varied.  His schedule for next year so far looks like math, Latin, science, and French before lunch.  Sometimes he gets rolling pretty early and gets through Writing with Skill in the morning too. Lunch and outside time for a bit, then Writing with skill alternating with grammar, followed by LLfLOTR and history.  Nature study and agriscience is mainly hands-on stuff outside, with some independent reading.  I'm not sure yet how the Norse Mythology and Linguistics will fit in, if we decide to do them.  Honestly, he just rolls through things until he gets them done or until I tell him to stop and go outside and play.  My older child is the one who will drag her feet and take 3 hours to do a math lesson 🤨

4 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I was reading your signature...can you share the "big stack of books about exploration and scientific discoveries from 1400 to the early 1800s" ?? 🙂 

Nonfiction: Island of the Blue Foxes; Longitude; The Brother Gardeners; The Founding Gardeners; Madness, Betrayal, and the Lash; The Invention of Nature; Alexander Mackenzie and the Explorers of Canada; Undaunted Courage OR The Journals of Lewis and Clark; Plants of the Lewis and Clark Expedition; Tales of the Mountain Men; Birchbark Brigade.  I may have him read some parts of Sightseers and Scholars by Stephen Bown and A History of Canada in Ten Maps by Adam Shoalts.  

Fiction: Robinson Crusoe, Stowaway, Treasure Island, Carry on Mr. Bowditch, and whichever Jules Verne stories he decides to read.  

Also, some of the books we have read aloud or will be reading aloud for Guest Hollow Chemistry fit into this category: Salt: A World History, The Disappearing Spoon, Creations of Fire, 50 Foods that Changed the Course of History

Edited to add:  He also reads from the Story of Science books

Edited by FarmingMomma
  • Like 1

Prealgebra: MP College of the Redwoods

Writing: Dictation, Killgallon Sentences, Wordsmith Apprentice

Spelling: Finish Spelling Workout G, start grammar. 

Logic: Fallacy Detective, Logic Safari 3

Lit/History: BYL 7

Science: Chemistry, ACS and/or TOPS

Band, Lego Robotics team, Track at ps.

Edited by Mrs. Tharp
I keep changing my mind.
  • Like 1

Latin:   Memoria Press Second Form Latin

Math:   AOPS Intro to Algebra and Mathcounts prep

Science:   Prentice Hall Miller-Levine Biology??  or Novare Earth Science .... or....who know honestly!   Middle School Science is the bane of my existence as a homeschool mama!

Composition and Grammar:   MP English Grammar Recitation III + IEW 

Literature:   MP Hobbit, Bronze Bow, Anne of Green Gables (because even teenager boys need to read this book!), and The Trojan War, plus MP Poetry for the Grammar Stage.   (These will be our slow, "thorough" book reads that we will read together, discuss, write about, and all of that jazz.   He also reads voraciously in his spare time like most homeschool kids.)   

Classical Studies:  MP Famous Men of Greece -and- Famous Men of Middle Ages  ??   (It is probably too much to do each of these in a year and really master the material.   So I *may* just do Famous Men of Greece, but I am super sad not to have the time to go through the Famous Men of Middle Ages set!)   

Christian Studies:  MP Christian Studies III (New Testament)

American / Modern Studies:  MP Geography II + Some type of American History study.   (I am not sure in this area.  I really, really like the Hakim books.   But the MP American History set is already planned...and there are tests, and flashcards, and timeline cards, and I know the material will be truly mastered with the "MP way".  However, I like the Hakim books more.  They are so much more well rounded.  It is just that the support material is not as high of quality IMHO.  I have toyed with the idea of just letting him listen to the Hakim audiobook in addition to the MP American History program.   But he is hormonal and might just benefit from more sleep and shorter school days at this state of life.)

MP Timeline Program will continue.  

Public Speaking:   Will continue with CCA Speech competition, coaching, and class.   

-------

I am ***considering*** dropping spelling in 7th grade.   My son is dyslexic, so he is not a great speller.   The fact is, though, I am not sure how much improvemnet I am going to see no matter how much time I devote to spelling.   I feel like I could spend 8+ hours a day doing some really intensive Orton-Gillingham intervention, and the improvement would be slight to nothing.   I am beginning to wonder what the point of all of this time is.  So I am considering, dropping spelling and all of the teacher time and energy that goes with it---and giving him more time to explore the things he is really passionate about (math and science.)    Any thoughts?!   Anyone want to give me permission?  :) 

Language Arts: BJU Writing & Grammar 7; EIL 7; Spelling Workout H; a couple Moving Beyond the Page LA Units (Greek Myths and British Poetry)

Math: Saxon, but not sure which level yet. Dd11 is currently using Horizons Pre-Algebra so we'll see how she does with the placement tests at year's end.

History: Moving Beyond the Page Ancient History, level 11-13

Science: Bookshark 6 with some reading and experiments from Real Science 4 Kids Book 5. RS4K was left over from a whole lot of science curriculum flip-flopping with Dd13. 

Art: EP Allinonehomeschool Drawing Professionally; art classes at local library

Health/PE: Brainpop; homeschool gym and various sports at local rec center

Music: Piano (keyboad for us) with Hoffman Academy

Other: Logic puzzles; CNN 10; Word-up: The Vocab Show DVD; EP Spanish 6th level; Geography games with Sheppard Software

This seems like a lot now that I'm telling other people about it lol

Edited by BrittiBop16
Edited to add music and bold-face subjects

I'm still undecided on a few, but here is the current plan:

Latin: Second Form Latin via MPOA

Literature: 7th grade Lit from MP - Bronze Bow, Anne of Green Gables, Trojan War, Hobbit

Geography: Finish MP Geography 1 and move into 2

Classical Studies:  MP Famous Men of Greece

American History: MP 200 Questions and Story of the 13 Colonies & The Great Republic

Bible: Christian Studies IV

Comp/Grammar/Spelling: Finish Rod and Staff English 6 and move in to 7 on our current schedule of 2-4 times/week; Classical Composition Chreia/Maxim, ACSI's Spelling Grade 6 with lots of phonics instruction from mom

Science: MP Birds 1st semester and MP Exploring the World of Astronomy 2nd semester

Math: I'm VERY undecided on this and would love to hear suggestions!! She will begin Pre-Algebra the middle of 7th grade (working through R&S Math 6 now). She needs very direct, explicit instruction without a ton of wordy words (ie: Math Mammoth). R&S Math has been perfect for her.  Any ideas on where I should look?

Eesh.  This feels like a lot for this particular child.  We will see how this goes!

On 2/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, MamaHill said:

Math: I'm VERY undecided on this and would love to hear suggestions!! She will begin Pre-Algebra the middle of 7th grade (working through R&S Math 6 now). She needs very direct, explicit instruction without a ton of wordy words (ie: Math Mammoth). R&S Math has been perfect for her.  Any ideas on where I should look?

Since both our boys have done well with R&S math, and because MP uses it as part of their curriculum, we went with College of the Redwoods prealgebra (also offered by MP) with our oldest ds and were very happy with it. It was as straightforward and easy to teach from as R&S has been. I am planning to use it next year with younger ds as well. 

Math: Systematic Mathematics 7

Writing: Write with the Best 1

Grammar: probably Daily Grammar Practice

Science: either Ellen McHenry or something more conventional, not sure

History: Little History of the World, Landmark History of the American People

Long booklist

Extras: Piano, Choir, Handbells, he's interested in Irish Dance and Civil Air Patrol, but we'll see

• 1 month later...

We are using mostly Memoria Press and IEW

Math: R&S 6  

Latin: First Form

Language Arts: IEW's Student Writing Intensive B, Fix It Grammar Book 1, MP's Copybook Cursive II, SWO Book E?F? (I can't remember which), Lit Guides from MP (Heidi, Lassie, The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe)

History/Geography: Famous Men of Rome, Geography I, US Review, American Supplemental history readers

Bible: Christian Studies II

Science: Book of Insects, Home Science Adventures insects kit, plus I think we'll add a butterfly or ladybug kit

Morning Basket/Family Studies: MP's 4th grade read aloud books, Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization, Singing Made Easy, Lingua Angelica, MP's Art & Music Appreciation books, MP's Kindergarten Art Cards

Edited by Holly
Updated plans

• 3 weeks later...

Bible/Literature/History/Geography - Notgrass

Writing & Grammar - WriteSource 7

Spelling - Megawords

Math - Saxon 8/7

Science - Focus On: Biology

PE - TaeKwonDo

Art - Drawing Class @ Co-Op

Speech - Co-Op

Music - Handbells and maybe violin 

Additional literature through a literature & writing class @ co-op

Next year's 7th grader: 

Math:  either R&S 7 or BJU's Fundamentals of Math

Language Arts: Warriner's for grammar and some of the composition, Abeka for spelling, Ambleside Online's Year 6 (slightly modified)  for literature/reading. 

History:  Ambleside Online's Year 6 with some slight tweaking. 

Science: a few TOPS units, nature study, and some of Ambleside Online's science suggestions from Year 5 and Year 6. 

Latin: finish up LfC B, then maybe Latin Book One (vintage Latin by Scott and Horn)

Continue with piano lessons and art lessons.  Begin helping me cook dinner more often. Possibly do sports at local middle school...

• 4 weeks later...

I just decided on Thursday to pull my youngest out of school. I haven't homeschooled in 2 and a half years, so I need to dust off my brain and find my books. I will edit as my plan solidifies. This will be 7th grade and catching up and filling in from the last couple of years.

Math: Easy, Thank you WTMacademy. She will do AOPS Pre-Algebra

Science: OMSI homeschool science club, and a mixture of exploring Science topics (ie MP History of medicine)

History: Using Story of the World, condensed to get through all 4 years in 2 years. 

Spelling: Probably Phonetic Zoo

Grammer: Analytical Grammar

Handwriting: Can do cursive. One last chance to improve the handwriting before I give up.

Writing: WWS1

Literature: 1 book a month with workbook. (MP, Cricket in Time Square, My side of the Mountain, Heidi, Anne of Green Gables, The Hobbit, + 4 more)

Health:

Foreign Langauge: Spanish of Japanese with WTM academy

PE: Soccer, horseback riding and hiking.

Math: MM7,  LOF (finish Fractions and start Decimals), some Khan a year behind for review

English & Composition: R&S 7 (first half), outlining to go with SOTW, Writing Strands or Wordsmith

Literature: 3 MP guides and some historical fiction to go with our history studies

Classical Studies: Famous Men of Greece w/MP guide

Geography: MP Geo. II

Spelling: Spelling Power

Latin: First Form (we go half pace so he's already about halfway through this)

Karate, swim lessons (seasonal), FLL 

With younger sibling (gr.5)

Science: finish RSO Physics in the fall (electricity & magnetism), for spring I'm putting together some resources using Life Science for Middle Grades for our main labs

( I will probably have him read a couple of the Tiner science books to complement this)

History: SOTW 4, we'll do some of the Activity Guide

Bible: MP Christina Studies IV (first half), slowly going through Teaching Hearts and Training Minds devotional

Edited by ChocolateCake

Thank you for everyone sharing their curriculums.  It helps me to see what is out there!!  I could never do all the research myself and when I see what you have it helps find new ways to learn!!

This is my hard working kid.  She is so sweet and dear.  Reading and writing have never been easy for her, but she gives it her all!

Reading-- She loves to read Warrior Cats with her 10-year-old sister, but I always have her read about 20 minutes a day some sort of "finer" literature book.  Next year with our study of the Medieval time period we will do books like The Samurai's Tale, The Shakespeare Stealer, and A Door in the Wall.  I also like Reading Detective for this kiddo.  It teaches her test-taking skills which I don't love, but are necessary.  

Writing and Grammar-- Wordly Wise, Writing and Rhetoric, Sequential Spelling (being dyslexic this is one of the hardest things for her, so we will keep on working on spelling), Grammar Town (I love this series), and probably a few other things to work on grammar.  We may start Caesar's English... 

Science-- I know that we will continue with History of Science and do some Anatomy.  We will see what else after that.  I like to keep science fun for as long as possible.  

History-- Story of the World Middle Ages-- use a lot of books and maybe do a little From Adam to Us.  

Math-- Pre-Algebra

Spanish-- Rockalingua and my own mixture of different books and worksheets.  We may even start some real Spanish grammar next year!

A little bit of Logic, sewing, adulting, dancing, choir, and she and the 10-year-old love acting classes.  I have joined a co-op for the first time ever.  It is a short easy-going fun every other Friday affair.  

Edited by borninthesouth

Can I ask all of you MP users a question?

How did you decide Geography 2 vs. 1? Did you already do 1 or does it make sense to start at 2 because 1 is for Roman history?

Same question with the Famous Men books...which makes the most sense to start with?

And..do you think it would be beneficial to start FF Latin with a kid most likely going to high school?

1 hour ago, Meadowlark said:

Can I ask all of you MP users a question?

How did you decide Geography 2 vs. 1? Did you already do 1 or does it make sense to start at 2 because 1 is for Roman history?

Same question with the Famous Men books...which makes the most sense to start with?

And..do you think it would be beneficial to start FF Latin with a kid most likely going to high school?

My son already did MP Geo I the year he did Famous Men or Rome.  So, this year he'll do Geo II with Famous Men of Greece.  I think Geo II lines up with Famous Men of the Middle Ages, but we've already spent LOTS of time on the Middle Ages (with other books/curricula). Also, I've read that Geo III ramps up in difficulty so I'm saving it for next year (it's in the MP moderated 8th grade core).  I've read on the MP forum that Famous Men of Rome is the easiest but I liked the stories in Famous Men of Greece better so I would just pick whichever book lines up with what your child is studying.  As to the Latin, we've always done Latin half-paced (LC over 4th/5th and FF over 6th/7th) because it's the easiest way for my child to retain the information.  So, even if you do FF over 7th/8th, your child will be more ready for Latin or a Latin-based language in high school.

ETA: We also school year-round, so that helps with retention of Latin.

Edited by ChocolateCake

I can't believe I have a kid going into 7th.  😱  This feels like "real school" to me, as locally, kids have elementary from K-6, then middle school is 7-9, then "gymnase" is 10-12.  Doing poorly in middle school means you can't go to college-prep gymnase.  So... time to start cracking the whip.  😄  

In the Swiss system, middle schooler choose an Option, which is a specific subject they want to study in more depth.  My son wants to do the Physics and Applied Math option, as well as the Latin option.  The advantage of homeschooling is we can go ahead and do both.  (For the curious, the other options are Philosophy and Psychology, Economics, or Italien)

Math: AOPS- we'll continue in Algebra and move on to Geometry if he finishes the book during the year.  Once a week, I will add in Applied Math from the local school's AM book.  

Language Arts:  This is such a huge thing in our house.  Trying to keep them academically current in both French and English is a huge time suck.  I'm using the writing type studies that correspond to the school curriculum, but doing my own thing.  So this year, we'll cover the novel of several genres, one piece of theater (Moliere, as we did Shakespeare this year), what they call Foundational Texts (Bible, myths, Illiad/Oddysey/Aeneid), and poetry.  I plan on having kiddo keep a reading journal and we'll go over the elements of plot and literary devices as they come up.  The texts will be about half-half French and English.  We'll do a standard grammar book for French grammar/conjugation/dictation.  

Writing:  homemade because reasons.  Across curriculum type stuff.

Science:  General Science from local book, plus Physics from IGCSE physics and local textbook.  

History:  SOTW 3 plus Drama of American History series by Collier, plus booklist.  If anyone wants to see the plans for these two spines and how I've lined them up, I'd be happy to share that.  

Geo: Europe map drawing plus geo as related to history studies.  

Foreign Language:  German with dad, thank goodness

Latin: GSWL, then move on to Henle.  We've almost completed GSWL

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Art: Drawing 101 TGC

Misc:  typing practice, then Word practice with typing up writing projects

---

I realize this is insane.  Many things are only 1x a week though.  We'll just start and see how it goes.  

• 3 weeks later...

A little up in the air if we are waiting to hear if she got into the STEAM program at our ALE.  If so than we will only be doing a little at home.  

Algebra 1 ALEKS (already did a year of AOPS) So she can have HS credit for it and the review will be good for her.

Cover Story Writing

History Odyssey Modern

I think I'm finally getting somewhere. I appreciate everyone who's posted. It's helped me solidify plans in some areas.

Grammar | CLE 7
Literature | Lightning Lit 7
Spelling | Megawords 1 & 2
Writing | The Paragraph Book 4
Math | CLE 7
History | All American History 1 (Bright Ideas Press); We also have Notgrass From Adam to Us to finish. I might try to squeeze in the years that correspond with AAH 1.
Science | Exploring the World of Chemistry (plus Memoria Press supplement), Chem 101 DVDs, McHenry's The Elements and maybe Carbon Chemistry, MEL Chemistry kits
Latin | Memoria Press First Form Latin
Logic | Fallacy Detective
Typing | Keeping on with TypingClub.com
Art | Creating a Masterpiece (if I can convince myself to fork over the money)

Still looking for independent art options and computer science (either coding or graphic design or Google apps...something).

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1

Math - Glencoe Pre-Algebra

History - MOH 4

Science - Holt Physical Science supplemented with lots of reading and experiments about physics (will skip chemistry chapters because we did Chemistry this year).

Spanish - Spanish for Children B + RAZ Spanish book + Rosetta Level 3 + iTalki tutoring for conversation

Reading - Read classical literature and discuss using Progeny Press Guides or similar + self-guided reading + Figurative Language

Language Arts:

Writing - Writeshop 1 + The Creative Writer

Grammar - Fix It Level 3 & 4

Spelling - Megawrods 3 &4

Vocabulary - Ceasars English II using Mentor Network

Bible - God's Great Covenant Old Testament

Electives:

Piano

Sports - Basketball and Baseball (all in evenings with public school kids)

Python Programming

One hour free study period every day to work on assignments, projects, or self-directed learning.

That seems like a lot but we get it done. We school 8-3 with breaks and some subjects alternate days; several only take 10-20 minutes.

Edited by RenaInTexas
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 11yo will be in 7th this fall. Crazy! She has a late in the year birthday and is dyslexic. Reading has just “clicked” for her in the past couple of months. I think she will be *almost on grade level with most subjects this year. It’ll be a bit of a stretch for her but I think she can do it. 

Bible/History/Geography - MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures. She’ll be doing this with 5th grade DS. I’ll be having her do the additional 7th/8th grade supplement. That might end up being more reading than she can handle but we’ll see. If it is we’ll skip some books or I’ll do them as read alouds. 

Science - Apologia General Science. I got the new third edition which looks more manageable than the 2nd edition. I also got the audio book to cut down on the reading for her. 

Math - MUS pre-algebra. Should be easy for her. I’ll be pushing her more with reading and writing so I wanted an easy math year for her. She’s good at math but doesn’t particularly care for it right now (I think that’s mostly due to the influence of older sisters 🙄). 

English - Learning Language Arts Through Literature Tan. This is a gentle program and I think Tan is meant for 6th grade. I think it’ll still be a bit of a challenge for her though. Especially with all the reading and writing she’ll be doing for other subjects. 

Extras - karate and piano lessons

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 9:45 AM, alisha said:

Still in the works, but...

Math:Principles of Mathematics finish 1 and into 2

Spelling: Megawords 1 & hopefully 2

Lit:
Seven Sisters MS Lit Studies-1 per quarter: Misty of Chincoteague, Mrs. Frisby & Rats of Nimh, Anne of Green Gables;
Poetry Study using Grammar of Poetry, Prose and Poetry (Walch Toolbox) and MCT Building Poems;
Homemade "catalog" of poems and books, Nesbits Shakespeare and another shakespeare for kids book (Shakespeare will be next year)

Writing: Write On! (by Newell) The Paragraph Book 2 & 3, maybe add Twisting Arms

History: From Adam To Us-Notgrass (not sure if the lit books will be read alouds, or if I'll find easier ones to assign as independent reading since I'll be reading aloud the text)

Geography: shepperd with checklist so he does the parts I want, instead of the same thing over and over when he already knows it. :)  & maybe Trail Guide to World History

Science: Exploration Education Advanced

Latin: Finish GSWL then move to Visual Latin 1

Logic: Thinking Toolbox, Fallacy Detective & Logic to the Rescue

Bible: Philosophy for Kids & What the Bible is All About for Young Explorers by Dr. Mears

Elective: Coding-homemade class with a couple library books and Khan Academy

Had some changes since February...

Edited by alisha