Menu

Windchill values in the -50C range next week

Dicentra

I don’t know how you below zero guys handle it! It’s 12 degrees here. I am paralyzed. I’m IN the house, but my body wants to hibernate. All I want to do is cook starchy foods then sleep it off on the couch. Yesterday I made gravy and biscuits for brunch then homemade pizza for dinner. DS will skip co-op tomorrow because it’s just too cold in the teens to have him out. (He has health considerations and all if the accessible ramps are on the outside of the building.)

• Like 3

Most schools cancelled here. (One still not listed.) Rumor is the local school is up to 4 days to make up because of snow/ice/cold cancel or early-outs. (Well, and the three days they took due to their sports' teams making state in the fall.)

I'll leave it up to the parents about whether to have our Art of Argument class today. It might be 2 degrees then (and maybe snowing, if so).

• Like 1

I am SO glad our snow yesterday was light and fluffy. I had to finish up cleaning off the car and shoveling this morning with a “feels like 0” temp, and my fingers were not happy.  No way could I have done it longer if it were heavier, or later when it’s expected to be colder.

This is my 14th winter here, and I still don’t have decent gloves @@.

Had to throw a cup of hot water in the air to watch what it does. Another fun thing we do is fill balloons with water and food coloring and set outside to freeze. When it “warms up” to safe temps remove the balloon part to reveal colored ice balls and make a fun decoration outside to brighten the yard. One year made a snow dragon that had colorful eggs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

All three college boys have no classes today. I was very worried when youngest ds's college still had not called it by the time I went to bed last night. Their forecast was frostbite in 5-8 minutes on exposed skin, and hypothermia a very real danger. He has a 20 minute walk to his engineering building so even with the high quality, well rated winter gear we sent, I was still worried. It wasn't like we could afford Antarctic Explorer industrial type items, just Columbia ski wear and such.

Thankfully, when I woke up at 6 am, they had called it. PHEW. It is only 3 minutes to the one dining commons, and he has plenty of food in his room, so he can stay toasty today.

I had to cancel my adult choir practice, spring musical practice, and tomorrow night's children's choir practice along with a theater parents' meeting, and a student art showing for this week. After dark, it simply isn't wise for people to be out, and many of the participants would be bringing babies and toddlers along. The parking lot is a sheet of ice, and with temps this low, salt doesn't work. I had visions of broken hips in the older folks, skinned up toddlers and preschoolers, mothers and fathers falling with babes in arms, and chapped cheeks, bleeding lips on my poor students. No thanks!

So I'm having this weird week where I don't have rocket team, music rehearsals, theater, art, no organizational meetings, working from home instead of the office, and otherwise just hunkered down. I kind of like it since I had almost down time following the A Christmas Carol musical back in December, however, I also feel like I'm going to end up falling behind. 

I really hope this is the only polar vortex of the season. BLECH!

1 hour ago, Danae said:

We're at -20 F actual temp right now. The furnace is doing okay keeping up, but the humidifiers are not keeping up with the furnace. We were down to 16% humidity. I've got a big pot of water simmering on the stove and a crockpot of mulled cider on warm with the lid cracked, we ran the dishwasher and took steamy showers, and I'm making lunch in the instant pot. If it's not above 25% by then I might just keep cycling the instant pot up to pressure and releasing steam.

You can put water in it and use the saute feature on low. It will boil more than the crock pot, but be safer than the stove I imagine and use less energy I would think. (I could be wrong, as a florida girl my expertise is reducing humidity, not increasing it, lol)

Quite a few people might be able to do the boiling water thrown in the air trick

The fallacy class I run is cancelled today due to 1/3 of the class being sick. DD#2 made sponge cake for her kitchen chemistry class today. I made citrus brioche (in the oven right now - didn't rise very quickly due to how cold it is in the house).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

All three college boys have no classes today. I was very worried when youngest ds's college still had not called it by the time I went to bed last night. Their forecast was frostbite in 5-8 minutes on exposed skin, and hypothermia a very real danger. He has a 20 minute walk to his engineering building so even with the high quality, well rated winter gear we sent, I was still worried. It wasn't like we could afford Antarctic Explorer industrial type items, just Columbia ski wear and such.

Thankfully, when I woke up at 6 am, they had called it. PHEW. It is only 3 minutes to the one dining commons, and he has plenty of food in his room, so he can stay toasty today.

I had to cancel my adult choir practice, spring musical practice, and tomorrow night's children's choir practice along with a theater parents' meeting, and a student art showing for this week. After dark, it simply isn't wise for people to be out, and many of the participants would be bringing babies and toddlers along. The parking lot is a sheet of ice, and with temps this low, salt doesn't work. I had visions of broken hips in the older folks, skinned up toddlers and preschoolers, mothers and fathers falling with babes in arms, and chapped cheeks, bleeding lips on my poor students. No thanks!

So I'm having this weird week where I don't have rocket team, music rehearsals, theater, art, no organizational meetings, working from home instead of the office, and otherwise just hunkered down. I kind of like it since I had almost down time following the A Christmas Carol musical back in December, however, I also feel like I'm going to end up falling behind. 

I really hope this is the only polar vortex of the season. BLECH!

Us too.  We normally have one or 2 things a day.  It is nice for me to not be running so hard, but I hate having the weather where the kids are stuck in the house.  We haven't left since Sunday because everything has been cancelled. 

I've been outside working with my horses all morning. It has now warmed up to -20F with -44F windchill. I was dressed for it and it wasn't bad, other than having to change my gloves three times because they got wet and instantly froze. My glove dryer has been running nonstop all morning.🙂

• Like 1

I had to walk outside for maybe a mile today because my car's tire went flat because of the cold. Aside from it being -44 with the wind chill, it's a beautiful sunny day. I actually enjoyed the walk, though my legs are stinging a little now that I'm back inside. And this kind of air isn't great for your lungs, even breathing through a scarf.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mergath said:

I had to walk outside for maybe a mile today because my car's tire went flat because of the cold. Aside from it being -44 with the wind chill, it's a beautiful sunny day. I actually enjoyed the walk, though my legs are stinging a little now that I'm back inside. And this kind of air isn't great for your lungs, even breathing through a scarf.

Thank goodness it is sunny, makes it just a little bit better.  I am glad you got home safely. 

• Like 1

I haven't read them all... will continue.  But just had to say all the references to Winterpeg.... that is Winnipeg, and how cold it can get there....  Guess wherd I am.

-50C with windchill.  (-58F).

It did warm up a bit today, so a couple of my kids went to scout camp for the weekend.  (It is a cabin camp though.  I doubt they will offer the chance to sleep in quinzhees...)

https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/2019/01/28/extreme-cold-warning-in-effect-for-manitoba/

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 10:07 AM, history-fan said:

Had to throw a cup of hot water in the air to watch what it does. Another fun thing we do is fill balloons with water and food coloring and set outside to freeze. When it “warms up” to safe temps remove the balloon part to reveal colored ice balls and make a fun decoration outside to brighten the yard. One year made a snow dragon that had colorful eggs.

I did both these things and also blew bubbles!  I love the snowdragon idea!

• Like 2