Menu

Windchill values in the -50C range next week

Dicentra

So sad, this morning the news in Marquette announced that the missing NMU student - went missing last Thursday - was found dead only 300 ft. from his car. He'd gone to photograph at the waterfalls, and apparently got lost getting back falling prey to hypothermia.

Be careful out there folks. Even with good winter gear, you really can last only so long out there unless you know how to make shelter and a fire. If you do get lost, your car skids off the road, etc. in this storm, try to stay calm so you can think clearly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

No, in the right winter gear -45f is frigid cold, but not inherently deadly.  You wouldn’t want to hang out in it for extended periods of time but it’s not as bad as you are picturing. It does hurt to breathe though, but so did Needles at 120f so... ?

What gets missed about the cold is that climates that hit those temperatures seasonally have citizens equipped to handle them.  They’re way more dangerous when they hit an area that doesn’t usually have them because the clothing and homes and such aren’t adequate.  Fort Yukon or Tok isn’t where people are dying from exposure, generally speaking.

I admit I am enjoying living in a more temperate climate right now - everyone is freaking out about 16f weather and a wind chill and I’m like “Woohoo!  Only light gloves needed!” 😆

That's what I meant though, if you got stuck in it for extended periods of time. I mean, how long can a person hang out in that kind of cold, with even some exposed skin? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

That's what I meant though, if you got stuck in it for extended periods of time. I mean, how long can a person hang out in that kind of cold, with even some exposed skin? 

Even with unexposed skin, short of some of the navy seal suits for diving in the North Atlantic, you aren't going to probably last more than 24 hours, very likely less. The "good" winter gear and even ski gear most of us purchase isn't good enough to withstand it. Part and parcel of this though is knowing what to do if you are lost. If you simply get stuck in your car, stay in it until help arrives because you are out of the elements, and that alone will allow you to conserve body heat.

But if you are outside and lost, you have to be able to make shelter at the minimum, and depending on conditions, that may not be enough without starting a fire as well which is not easy in a snowy, icy environment. 

The NMU boy was dressed in winter hiking gear. Decent stuff according to his roommate. He died 300 ft. from his car having gotten lost on the way back from taking some nature photographs. It was not NEARLY as cold last week in the UP as it is right now. 

• Sad 4

23 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I would guess that most of us in places that get -40 don't buy gear rated for those temps. Maybe I should say that most of the people in my state don't. 

We don't hit those temps for more than 3 weeks each winter, so don't really bother. 

Kelly

I also wonder how much income plays into the idea of proper winter gear....surely not everyone can even afford the proper gear. (this also plays into heat deaths in the city, regarding air conditioning, or at least adequate ventilation. In the country it would be much less of an issue as it is often cooler outside in the shade than in the house - hence sleeping porches)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Or here’s an overview of the overall discussion

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/1/17/16851398/cold-snap-heat-wave-deaths-human-health

a lot depends on what’s actually being measured.

5 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Oh, venturing outside in the heat can kill you. Not as fast at the cold will, but there are tourist deaths in the news every year, and the occasional death of someone who lives out Woop Woop and knows what can happen.

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun!"

Interesting article! I think it depends, too, on what you've grown up with and what you're used to.  And also, as weird as it sounds, on what the temps have been like in the previous month or so. When our fall comes around and it starts dropping below 0C, it feels cold - like put-on-a-jacket cold.  If it happens to warm up to 0C in January, I'm out there in a short-sleeved T-shirt doing chores.  I'm not kidding. 😄  I've grown up with the climate and I think my body is just used to it.  When it gets to 30C here in the summer with a humidex value of 38C, I'm dying.  But I'm a cold-is-better-than-hot kind of girl. 🙂

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Sitting down somewhere with or without water in -45 F will probably mean you die. At least, that's how I picture it.

With the right gear and if you're used to it, you'd be surprised at how long you can be out in that kind of cold.  If there's no wind, I like to just stand out and look at the stars.  They are just so bright and sparkly-looking when it's that cold. 🙂

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

No, in the right winter gear -45f is frigid cold, but not inherently deadly.  You wouldn’t want to hang out in it for extended periods of time but it’s not as bad as you are picturing. It does hurt to breathe though, but so did Needles at 120f so... ?

What gets missed about the cold is that climates that hit those temperatures seasonally have citizens equipped to handle them.  They’re way more dangerous when they hit an area that doesn’t usually have them because the clothing and homes and such aren’t adequate.  Fort Yukon or Tok isn’t where people are dying from exposure, generally speaking.

I admit I am enjoying living in a more temperate climate right now - everyone is freaking out about 16f weather and a wind chill and I’m like “Woohoo!  Only light gloves needed!” 😆

Yes, absolutely, to your second paragraph, AM.  I know this climate and I've got all the gear.  Houses here have double or triple pane windows and good insulation (by code).  I think a previous poster mentioned income and whether or not folks in a particular area can afford to have all the things one needs for the weather.  I worry a lot about that and donate to coat drives and winter gear collections whenever I can.  And I totally get the "Woohoo! Only light gloves needed!" in 16F temps. 😄

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

Interesting article! I think it depends, too, on what you've grown up with and what you're used to.  And also, as weird as it sounds, on what the temps have been like in the previous month or so. When our fall comes around and it starts dropping below 0C, it feels cold - like put-on-a-jacket cold.  If it happens to warm up to 0C in January, I'm out there in a short-sleeved T-shirt doing chores.  I'm not kidding. 😄  I've grown up with the climate and I think my body is just used to it.  When it gets to 30C here in the summer with a humidex value of 38C, I'm dying.  But I'm a cold-is-better-than-hot kind of girl. 🙂

It is so true. When I lived in Moscow, I remember thinking it was warm at 0C. In Southern California (where I grew up and currently live), I literally have a 20 degree comfort zone (and that is pushing it). I am cold below 60F and hot above 80F. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Sitting down somewhere with or without water in -45 F will probably mean you die. At least, that's how I picture it. 

True. You don't just sit. Period. Well, unless you made a snow cave/ fire etc. 

I had a high school buddy we thought died. His snow machine broke down. We were very angry that he didn't have a buddy with him. Walking out without snowshoes or skiies was tortourous. Snow was up to his ribs so it took a long time but he knew he couldn't stop. He made it to the road after 2 days. Lost some toes but survived. 

When I trained for wilderness rescue that was first concern. Get the body off the ground. We had that drilled into us by experience. We practiced on each other and when your partner forgot you got chilled pretty quick despite being about 20 degrees out in full winter gear. In 20 degrees my children ski in T-shirts. The difference is amazing.  

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

generally, if you sit your butt down in the shade, and have adequate water and can stay hydrated you should be okay, unless there are underlying medical factors. Most of the heat related deaths I hear of are elderly with heart or lung problems, and usually trapped in a building without adequate ventilation versus outdoors in the shade. 

Can I say you don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about. 

When it is 44oC that is the temp in the shade. It is considerably hotter in the sun

Edited by Melissa in Australia

There are dozens and dozens of deaths in Aus when there is a heatwave. 

I am currently looking after my grandmother v

Because she got heat stroke because she fell in the shade on a 44oC day. When she was in emergency dozens of elderly were being brought in with heatstress they got WHILE SITTING IN THEIR Houses. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Again, i did say the elderly were a special case, but I doubt those same elderly would fare any better in -45 degree weather than they do in 120 degree weather. At that point, they are a high risk in any temperature extreme, or even not an extreme. 

I do live where we have heatstroke, we only get into 98 or 99 but often have very high humidity which can be a serious concern as sweating won't cool you off at all, and you need to use caution if exercising, etc.  And after the last round of hurricanes we absolutely had people dying from the heat, but it was people who were ill, in the hospital, or elderly and already compromised or frail in some way. And I've been to a desert area when it was 114-118, and although I was only there a week, I have all the confidence in the world that given hydration and shade I could survive, whereas much more than that is needed to survive -45 degree weather. I mean, you don't hear of someone dying 300 feet from their car because they were trapped in the heat for less than a day, like happened to that poor student in the cold. 

I'm NOT saying heat can't kill, or that it doesn't require precautious, just that 120 degrees is less extreme than -45, as far as what it takes to survive it. Not that either isn't survivable, or that either is no big deal, but that one requires a lot more to keep safe than the other. An otherwise  healthy 22 year old with water and shade isn't likely to die if they sit down and take it easy in 120 degree weather for 12 hours versus -45 degree weather for 12 hours.  But yes, both can be deadly depending on the situation, absolutely. 

• Like 2

The thing about heat for me is it feels like there is nothing you can "do" about it. In fact, that is all you want to do, "nothing". You can't, "just keep moving" or "just put on more layers".  

Of course, with resources you have cool water, air conditioning, shade or on the other end heat and warm clothing but when you take away those resources things get bad fast. 

My teen brother actually went unconscience from heat stroke in Alaska. Probably sounds pathetic to everyone else as it was only about 90 degrees but really both can kill you and once you are dead, you are dead. So I'm not sure it's worth arguing which is more deadly.  

Edited by frogger
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

That’s what I think of when temperatures creep above 105f, I’m glad she has you but it is always the elderly and homeless I worry about in extreme temps. It is rare for someone to die of hypothermia in their homes.  It can happen but thankfully isn’t common even in cold snaps.

How is she recovering?

Very slowly. If she hadn't pushed her button she would have died. As it was she was starting to get acute kidney failure from heat stress

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

We are looking at lows of around -33F and highs of -17F over the next few days. This is the time of year when it feels like a heatwave if it gets above zero.

I actually like very cold weather and have a high tolerance for it, which is good because I spend 3-4 hours a day outside doing horse chores.🙂 On the other hand, I get super crabby as soon as the temperature gets above 60F. I was definitely not meant to live any closer to the equator than I do! Dh has always joked that he thinks I was born at the North Pole.

• Like 3

I get what Katie is saying. I have lived in places where it routinely got into the 115s+ and occasionally got higher than that. It sucked, but I never felt like I was going to die from being out in the weather. I couldn't say the same for the cold with which some of you are currently dealing. I will say that humidity makes a huge difference for me. I find Katie's weather in Florida much more cloying (at lower temps) than the weather in the deserts of California.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dicentra said:

With the right gear and if you're used to it, you'd be surprised at how long you can be out in that kind of cold.  If there's no wind, I like to just stand out and look at the stars.  They are just so bright and sparkly-looking when it's that cold. 🙂

Yes, absolutely, to your second paragraph, AM.  I know this climate and I've got all the gear.  Houses here have double or triple pane windows and good insulation (by code).  I think a previous poster mentioned income and whether or not folks in a particular area can afford to have all the things one needs for the weather.  I worry a lot about that and donate to coat drives and winter gear collections whenever I can.  And I totally get the "Woohoo! Only light gloves needed!" in 16F temps. 😄

Yes so true!  I remember there was a heatwave in Europe a couple of years back and quite a few people died even though the temperatures didnt sound to bad to those in Aus.  And likewise it doesn’t have to get much below zero for us here to be bitterly complaining about the cold. But house design, clothes design and just body acclimatisation (is that a thing?) all make a huge difference to how well we cope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There are dozens and dozens of deaths in Aus when there is a heatwave. 

I am currently looking after my grandmother v

Because she got heat stroke because she fell in the shade on a 44oC day. When she was in emergency dozens of elderly were being brought in with heatstress they got WHILE SITTING IN THEIR Houses. 

I’m so sorry!  I hope she pulls through ok. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Very slowly. If she hadn't pushed her button she would have died. As it was she was starting to get acute kidney failure from heat stress

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make it sound like I was minimizing what she is going through. I hope she recovers well, and am so glad she pushed that button!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Again, i did say the elderly were a special case, but I doubt those same elderly would fare any better in -45 degree weather than they do in 120 degree weather. At that point, they are a high risk in any temperature extreme, or even not an extreme. 

I do live where we have heatstroke, we only get into 98 or 99 but often have very high humidity which can be a serious concern as sweating won't cool you off at all, and you need to use caution if exercising, etc.  And after the last round of hurricanes we absolutely had people dying from the heat, but it was people who were ill, in the hospital, or elderly and already compromised or frail in some way. And I've been to a desert area when it was 114-118, and although I was only there a week, I have all the confidence in the world that given hydration and shade I could survive, whereas much more than that is needed to survive -45 degree weather. I mean, you don't hear of someone dying 300 feet from their car because they were trapped in the heat for less than a day, like happened to that poor student in the cold. 

I'm NOT saying heat can't kill, or that it doesn't require precautious, just that 120 degrees is less extreme than -45, as far as what it takes to survive it. Not that either isn't survivable, or that either is no big deal, but that one requires a lot more to keep safe than the other. An otherwise  healthy 22 year old with water and shade isn't likely to die if they sit down and take it easy in 120 degree weather for 12 hours versus -45 degree weather for 12 hours.  But yes, both can be deadly depending on the situation, absolutely. 

I think in the recent Japan heat wave where around 70 died 85pc were over 60. Younger people can still die and you do need to take proper precautions which go beyond an umbrella and water.

sorry I’m honestly not trying to be argumentative, it’s just that we do have tourists attempt crazy stuff here because they think like this and it doesn’t end well.  We all get terrified of bushfires and snakes but neither of them kill anywhere near as many people as heat.  We don’t thankfully have the extreme cold to worry about where I am.  Even with water you can end up ill with nausea and cramping just from mineral loss.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frogger said:

The thing about heat for me is it feels like there is nothing you can "do" about it. In fact, that is all you want to do, "nothing". You can't, "just keep moving" or "just put on more layers".  

Of course, with resources you have cool water, air conditioning, shade or on the other end heat and warm clothing but when you take away those resources things get bad fast. 

My teen brother actually went unconscience from heat stroke in Alaska. Probably sounds pathetic to everyone else as it was only about 90 degrees but really both can kill you and once you are dead, you are dead. So I'm not sure it's worth arguing which is more deadly.  

I went hypothermic once because I overheated backpacking in northern Minnesota in summer. I guess I sweated so much and of course was dehydrated, my body couldn't regulate. It was sweltering out but DH had to wrap me in my down sleeping bag and get warm liquids in me to stop me from shaking. I did.not.understand what was going on. It's a very good thing he acted fast. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We are looking at lows of around -33F and highs of -17F over the next few days. This is the time of year when it feels like a heatwave if it gets above zero.

I actually like very cold weather and have a high tolerance for it, which is good because I spend 3-4 hours a day outside doing horse chores.🙂 On the other hand, I get super crabby as soon as the temperature gets above 60F. I was definitely not meant to live any closer to the equator than I do! Dh has always joked that he thinks I was born at the North Pole.

Same!

I don't think I could live anywhere south of Massachusetts. I'd just wilt from the heat. As it is, I'm often sweltering in our house in winter; we keep it around 64 so my poor DH doesn't freeze, but half the time I'm sweating in a t shirt while it snows out. I hate, hate, hate the heat.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

I think in the recent Japan heat wave where around 70 died 85pc were over 60. Younger people can still die and you do need to take proper precautions which go beyond an umbrella and water.

sorry I’m honestly not trying to be argumentative, it’s just that we do have tourists attempt crazy stuff here because they think like this and it doesn’t end well.  We all get terrified of bushfires and snakes but neither of them kill anywhere near as many people as heat.  We don’t thankfully have the extreme cold to worry about where I am.  Even with water you can end up ill with nausea and cramping just from mineral loss.  

Oh, absolutely people can fail to respect the heat! I think the younger people tend to have problems because they don't sit still, rest, stay hydrated, etc. I'm thinking of the same kind of people that try to hike the grand canyon in flip flops with a single bottle of water. Or even the crazy people I see here that go jogging at noon in the summer like idiots, thinking they will sweat off more water weight and get skinny faster. Idiots. 

Heat definitely can be deadly. I just again, think the average person good health - all other things being equal -  is going to ride out 12 hours of heat a lot better than 12 hours of -45 degrees. Both absolutely require proper preparation and caution, it's just easier to take those precautions in heat, to my way of thinking. But I admit I'm likely biased in that regard. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

I went hypothermic once because I overheated backpacking in northern Minnesota in summer. I guess I sweated so much and of course was dehydrated, my body couldn't regulate. It was sweltering out but DH had to wrap me in my down sleeping bag and get warm liquids in me to stop me from shaking. I did.not.understand what was going on. It's a very good thing he acted fast. 

Yes, sweat can do it's job even when we don't want it too. 

Also, having a partner is big. The first thing to go is your ability to think straight. Sometimes people make rude comments about how a person got into trouble because they were doing stupid things. Yes, it could be because they were out of their knowledge/experience zone but it could also be they were already losing their ability to think clearly. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Oh, absolutely people can fail to respect the heat! I think the younger people tend to have problems because they don't sit still, rest, stay hydrated, etc. I'm thinking of the same kind of people that try to hike the grand canyon in flip flops with a single bottle of water. Or even the crazy people I see here that go jogging at noon in the summer like idiots, thinking they will sweat off more water weight and get skinny faster. Idiots. 

Heat definitely can be deadly. I just again, think the average person good health - all other things being equal -  is going to ride out 12 hours of heat a lot better than 12 hours of -45 degrees. Both absolutely require proper preparation and caution, it's just easier to take those precautions in heat, to my way of thinking. But I admit I'm likely biased in that regard. 

Yes true.  It’s generally only when you get three to four days in a row that there are major issues. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I actually got a mild case of heat stroke while swimming in a pool all day! I didn't realize how much water I lost sweating because I was in the water. So I didn't stay hydrated and bam...chills, dizziness, fever, shaking, nausea, etc. So I do acknowledge it is something to take seriously. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I actually got a mild case of heat stroke while swimming in a pool all day! I didn't realize how much water I lost sweating because I was in the water. So I didn't stay hydrated and bam...chills, dizziness, fever, shaking, nausea, etc. So I do acknowledge it is something to take seriously. 

I got heat stroke cycling in the Netherlands! 

Granted, it was over 90--in April!-- but DH and DS didn't understand how sick I was. I'm lucky I didn't actually faint in a tulip field. 

I think it's hard for people who can handle the heat (or cold) to fully understand how physically difficult it can be on people who are susceptible.

• Like 1

The hotter it is, the harder it's going to be to stay hydrated. When you have mild heat stroke, trying to drink the now hot water you have with you isn't easy. Do you avoid drinking, so you don't lose more energy and fluids by puking? Or do you drink it anyway, knowing that it could make you nauseous enough to puke, while probably not replacing what you're sweating out anyway?

BTW, fainting in a tulip field sounds a kind of romantic way to go. 😛

56 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I got heat stroke cycling in the Netherlands! 

Granted, it was over 90--in April!-- but DH and DS didn't understand how sick I was. I'm lucky I didn't actually faint in a tulip field. 

I think it's hard for people who can handle the heat (or cold) to fully understand how physically difficult it can be on people who are susceptible.

I passed out from heat in southern Georgia a few times when I was in the Army. It was determined that I’m just too stupid to drink water.  Still am. I read about the gallon-a-day for a month challenge, but I just don’t know if I could make it a week with that much water. I even LIKE water. I’m not cheating on it with other drinks, I just have a defectivevthirdt mechanism. It doesn’t kick in in winter until I’m a dry, scaley creature. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If I understand correctly, you’re mostly saying that my complaints about the weather this week will NOT be taken seriously? But, but, but, there are little snowflakes!

FA1AFFD3-480D-4EB4-9BBC-41300BD44A89.png

It's better than my parents complaining how cold they are in AZ at 65° F.

I'm not thrilled that our high on Wednesday is going to be -14° F. Luckily, we don't have that weather for too many days.

Kelly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

My sister and my bill are the same. They farm, it doesn’t matter how cold it is, they have to make sure the livestock are ok. They dress in layers and then put their Carharts on over it all, they are out at least a few hours each day.  Their high for Wednesday is supposed to be -20, they live on the plains and will be dealing with wind too. They drink lots of coffee and pray machinery doesn’t break down, because it’s a real pain fixing things when it’s that cold. 

Edited by Rachel
Typos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, frogger said:

But if you only guzzle water you could end up with hyponatremia and you can die from that too. So everyone please remember your electrolytes. 🙂

True, but not in a few hours, if you are just sitting around. Way too many people here in Florida think they NEED Gatorade for every day living. My BIL was one..sigh. 

9 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

True, but not in a few hours, if you are just sitting around. Way too many people here in Florida think they NEED Gatorade for every day living. My BIL was one..sigh. 

Well, the previous posts were referring to hiking or bootcamp and needed to drink lots of water (gallons was mentioned) but definitely not needed for sitting by the pool for a couple hours. I concur and should be careful about blanket statements. People don't always take time to figure out what category they fall in. If they showed symptoms though I'd err on the side of extra calories to dying. 

11 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I would guess that most of us in places that get -40 don't buy gear rated for those temps. Maybe I should say that most of the people in my state don't. 

We don't hit those temps for more than 3 weeks each winter, so don't really bother. 

Kelly

This. I normally move from my car to a building within a minute, so I haven't need a colder rated coat until this year. Now, I'm walking between buildings where the distances are measured by blocks not feet. I'm really glad I bought the coat that has a built in wind layer, it's been great. The wind was horrid today. 

There generally isn't a lot of good gear available 2nd hand because it's not purchased by as much of the populace. 

Edited by elegantlion
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I live in an area where the weather people and the emergency management people give very loud and clear warnings whenever it’s above 90F or into the single digits and we get *locals* who don’t take them seriously.

While it is rare for people to die of heat related issues here (because it might get over 90F at my house 5 days out of the year... more frequently down the mountain) cold weather tends to produce more ways for perfectly healthy people to get hurt or die. Icy roads can’t always be melted. Carbon Monoxide from secondary heating is an issue. And there are constant chimney fires. I don’t hear much about people dying *directly from the cold, but we get a whole lot of life threatening and deadly incidents *because it’s cold. (And rarely as cold as what’s being discussed.)

Right now, I’m looking at a day of snow, followed by a day of negative temperatures, followed by a day of -25F wind chill. I would be concerned.  if dh were traveling in extreme heat, but I’m downright freaking that he’s traveling in this.

Also, it's the speed that it can get you if you are unprepared, or have an accident/mistake. 

If I went out without  proper precautions in high heat, nothin horrible will happen to me in 15 minutes, or even an hour, other than a sunburn. 

If I went out without proper precautious in extreme cold like we are talking about in this thread, I could have serious frostbite in minutes and have hypothermia not much after that. I think it's that speed that freaks me out. 

Deserts do freak me out as well but they at least take longer to kill you. Freezing is supposedly  a more comfortable way to go though. 

And yes, I watched too many episodes of Survivor Man for my own good. 

All these comments on exposed skin and minutes is reminding me that where I went to school we had the 40 below club. An unofficial thing where students would take their picture in front of the big display sign of the temp. You had to be wearing a bathing suit and it had to be at least -40.  I didn't even own a swim suit at the time so I wasn't tempted. 

I'm also remembering it was -20 when my brother got married. Off the shoulder dress and all; my SIL stood outside for a very long time doing wedding pictures with the beautiful frosty trees.  

• Like 2

The place where I grew up is around -50 right now with the windchill and apparently they didn't even cancel school. They did start two hours late, though. The thought of standing outside when it's -30 waiting for the school bus makes me nostalgic for my childhood. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mergath said:

The place where I grew up is around -50 right now with the windchill and apparently they didn't even cancel school. They did start two hours late, though. The thought of standing outside when it's -30 waiting for the school bus makes me nostalgic for my childhood. 😂

That sound's familiar. I did lose all the skin on my ear once because the bus got stuck in a ditch and I always walked my 1/3 to 1/2 mile to the bus with no hat and wet hair (frozen solid) to the bus since it was the only way to get my crazy curly hair to school without looking ridiculous due to our very regular 40-60 mph winds.  Everything usually went fine but the bus had to get stuck.

Yes, I'm smarter now that I'm out of middle school. 😄

Edited by frogger
Adding: just the epidermis thankfully.
  • Confused 1

On 1/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, SeaConquest said:

It is so true. When I lived in Moscow, I remember thinking it was warm at 0C. In Southern California (where I grew up and currently live), I literally have a 20 degree comfort zone (and that is pushing it). I am cold below 60F and hot above 80F. 

You know, every person I know who has lived in Southern California, no matter where else they have lived, became a "weather wuss."  My friend was raised in Alaska, and even lived on an island in Alaska, and after a couple of years in OC, she now moans if it gets below 40 F.  It makes me laugh.  

25 minutes ago, Mergath said:

I don't remember school getting cancelled for temperature.  Huge snowfalls that paralyzed the city? Yes.  Sub zero (F) Temps? no.  But, I think school administrators are now more cognizant of how difficult it may be for those living in poverty to have adequate clothing for waiting at those bus stops.  Then there are those stupid kids who wear shorts to school year round, despite frostbite warnings.  It's a balance ... the safety of being outside without adequate clothing vs. school might be the only meal they get that day. 

• Like 2

I had no idea my post on windchills would be fodder for 3 pages of discussion!  I've tried to keep liking everyone's posts but I think I've lost track.  Consider all your posts liked!  And not "liked" in the sense that I "like" when folks are suffering from extreme temperatures or weather.  That makes me sad.

I hope everyone stays warm/cool where ever you are!

Here's the current temp with the warning highlighted at the bottom - frostbite in minutes (in Fahrenheit, that's -21F with a windchill of -49).  This is CRAZY for 2pm in the afternoon.  But look at Saturday!!!!  Woo hoo!!!!!!! 😄

image.png.79c06f4ffc8b3bae6584c7b90d72ad26.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frogger said:

Becoming acclimated is a real thing.  

LOL...so true...my son looked like a Viking striding heedlessly thru a blizzard (no hat, peacoat open to the wind and snow) when I dropped him at school today. He was surrounded by people bundled in parkas with no visible body parts except their eyes. I was wondering how many weren't from here (lots of students come from a part of the state which has much more mild winters).

School was cancelled for the next 2 days a couple hours later. LOL

• Like 1