Menu

Games ~ What are you giving? Any new discoveries? What are you hoping to receive?

Kareni

Trivial Pursuit Family Edition, Code Name Disney, and Mystic Vale. I'm looking forward to Mystic Vale. I got Code Name Disney in an effort to include my 6 yo in family games. I could do without Trivial Pursuit, but it was a request from the non-gamers in the family. Fortunately my FLGS had a buy 2 get 1 free promo going on 😊

• Like 2

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I put Chess on my son's Christmas list -- yet again this year...

Does anyone else have the problem with Chess pieces going missing?

We use coins for the missing pieces. But I'm not sure why the Chess pieces are so slippery yet we can keep pieces together for other games, even ones like Pandemic with many more pieces!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hshibley said:

Trivial Pursuit Family Edition, Code Name Disney, and Mystic Vale. I'm looking forward to Mystic Vale. I got Code Name Disney in an effort to include my 6 yo in family games. I could do without Trivial Pursuit, but it was a request from the non-gamers in the family. Fortunately my FLGS had a buy 2 get 1 free promo going on 😊

My son got Trivial Pursuit Family Edition for his birthday this year. my 7 year old daughter tries to play but for this game, 8+ is a real age. But our family enjoys it much more than regular Trivial Pursuit.  It slows down at the end -- when people fill up their pies and are trying to get to the middle and win the game.  We have often stopped the game before that, declaring the first to fill their pie as the winner just because it drags so much afterward.

(For my 7 year old, when a child question doesn't have choices, I come up with three to add so she has a chance at guessing the answer)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Attolia said:

We love games so I always loves these threads.

For this year (so far) I have gotten

Carcassone Big Box (the set with expansions)

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-ZM7856-Carcassonne/dp/B076JKBDJ4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543412172&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=carcassonne+big+box&psc=1

I want this! I haven't owned Carcassone since before their were expansions but that copy went to my brother when we all grew up and moved out of the family home. I've never played the game with any of the expansions

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kareni said:

Also from Slate.com:  The 10 Worst Family Games

Note that there are links to defenses for each of the games.

Regards,
Kareni

1. Candyland -- yes, Adults hate this game.  We had a lot of games to play with the kids that are fun for both adults and kids, and were really better games (including the recommended Richard Scarry game), but -- our kids still enjoyed Candyland (To the point we had to purchase it again after getting rid of it!). So we played it sometimes, for them.

3. Cranium -- I agree. We played it once and by mutual agreement never again.

4. Hangman -- most of the time I do not see Hangman used in a 3-4 person setting. It's used in a classroom to help the kids have a fun way to learn vocabulary/practice vocabulary or in a cafeteria, between two kids. It can be played with only a paper and  pencil (or even a finger in sand!). No extra supplies needed.

5. Life -- my kids love this game (in the Legacy version) and beg to play it. Even the now 7 year old. We have fond family stories of the time Dad overfilled his car to the point his wife had to get out of the car and start driving a second car around to have space for all the kids! (IE they didn't fit even with pegs piled on)

6. Agreed. Mouse Trap is a model game. I've never played it as a game.

7. Monopoly -- We prefer Monopoly Empire. Much faster moving game and so you lose fast and can play again. (my husband hates Settler of Catan. Not quite sure what happened before I met him but he won't even try it again)

9. Risk -- Ugh. Used to be my favorite game. My son found the board and begs to play but... I can't barely stand it anymore. It's just not fun after I've played a lot of others (I prefer Ticket to Ride OR Pandemic over this). Makes me wish we didn't hold onto it. But my son must have gotten something out of it.

10. I do think Tic Tac Toe is a good game for kids to start learning strategy and be able to see for themselves that some games have problems.  It was such a lights on moment as a kid when I figured this out for myself!

• Like 1

I kickstarted the re-release of Dinosaur Island (plus the expansions and duel version) and that should be shipping any day now. My plan is to open the shipping box, make sure it's all there and intact, and then wrap it up for Christmas.  I hope I can stick to the plan!

We also might get Terraforming Mars.  DH really likes that one.

The best game that I think I played all year was Viticulture.  If Santa brought me that I would be a very happy girl!

• Like 3

Does anyone have good recommendations for large families?  My best friend has 3 kids 13 and older, and one is married, so sometimes 6 playing at a time. They love some of the games I've given them like Sushi Go, Forbidden Island, and The Resistance. Generally, there are just 4 at home, though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Does anyone have good recommendations for large families?  My best friend has 3 kids 13 and older, and one is married, so sometimes 6 playing at a time. They love some of the games I've given them like Sushi Go, Forbidden Island, and The Resistance. Generally, there are just 4 at home, though. 

One of my favorite games for teens and adults is Wise and Otherwise.  It would work very well with four to six players.  (Three is too few, and it only has six player tokens).

Bananagrams  is also a lot of fun with that number of players.

ETA:  I'll also add The Game of THINGS…  If you'd like a less expensive option (stocking stuffer?), consider The Game of Things... Expansion/Travel Pack

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 1

This yearly thread is a game saver for me ( pun intended)

Last years wins off here were Parfum for dd, and, Seven Wonders of the World for DS (excellent group game)

Games the Dc have added to my wishlist:

Like a pp Azul is on ours too.

Charterstone (pricey)

Hive

Brass: Birmingham

Terraforming Mars

Viticulture: Essential Ed (ETA: good to read positive comments upthread on this

Resistance: Avalon

7 Wonders wonderpack

Edited by tuesdayschild
Comments
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Kareni said:

I notice you didn't comment on Clue, vonfirmath.  It's actually one of my favorite games, so I was a little surprised to see it on the list.

Regards,
Kareni

I haven't played it since i was  a child so I don't know what I would think. We are looking at getting a copy because we think our son would like it so I guess we'll find out

• Like 1

Can I ask a couple other questions about games?

I've looked at Agricola before, but I'm not sure what to buy because there seems to be so many versions. Where do you start? I like 2-4 player games for us because our dd is in college in another state.

What other games would you recommend for us? We got Castles of Burgundy last year and love it. Other games we have and enjoy: Catan, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Carcassone, 7 Wonders, Citadels, Kingdom Builders, Airlines Europe, Pandemic (and expansions to some of those). 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 5:04 PM, ThisIsTheDay said:

When my kids were younger, we used to play the original version of the Game of LIFE that my in-laws had from the 1960s. We played it enough that the cardboard broke, the peg people were lost, etc. I replaced the game with a new version a few years ago, but we all hated it. So many things had changed! My kids were home for Thanksgiving (one working, one college), and my husband pulled out the new game to play with them. He hated it.

Yesterday at Barnes & Noble while shopping with my kids, we stumbled on a "throwback" 1960s edition of the game. We snapped up the very last copy, and we are SO excited to give it to dh for Christmas! We can go back to playing with $10,000 salaries and all, lol, and LIFE will be perfect again!

Playing the original Life game is something everyone needs to do once.  (More if they like it)   But, it is such a cultural icon that once is a requirement.   

I've been pondering the Life card game.  We enjoy the Monopoly card game so much that I got the Clue card game to try out.  

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, vonfirmath said:

9. Risk -- Ugh. Used to be my favorite game. My son found the board and begs to play but... I can't barely stand it anymore. It's just not fun after I've played a lot of others (I prefer Ticket to Ride OR Pandemic over this). Makes me wish we didn't hold onto it. But my son must have gotten something out of it....

Maybe you could tolerate a software version.  Where people actually play each other.   But, you don't have to deal with the little cubes so it goes faster.   So, when you attack a country, the software just changes the number of armies in each country.  

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 7:12 AM, Lady Marmalade said:

I kickstarted the re-release of Dinosaur Island (plus the expansions and duel version) and that should be shipping any day now. My plan is to open the shipping box, make sure it's all there and intact, and then wrap it up for Christmas.  I hope I can stick to the plan!

We also might get Terraforming Mars.  DH really likes that one.

The best game that I think I played all year was Viticulture.  If Santa brought me that I would be a very happy girl!

I received DI a few weeks ago and it is HEAVY! (Still haven't open it.) I had our charter purchase Viticulture last year after your review from a few months ago, so thank you!

• Like 1

We just played Ticket to Ride over Thanksgiving!  So fun! I had never heard of it before - I'm one of those who needs to read the game faq link above!!  I'm giving the 1910? expansion set to college dd (who owns the game) and giving the whole game to nurse dd who lives near us, so hopefully we can play together!  

For the game for a large family (question above) - we have played Wacky Six with a huge group - we used two sets of the game and it worked well.  It's been a family favorite for us for several years.

• Like 2

I’m giving Sleeping Queens, Hiss, Bandido, MTG cards, and Qwixx to kids.

we recently discovered Kingdomino as a great family game (the Queendomino expansion allows all six of us to play). Also finally tried SushiGo Party - fun group game.

What I’m eyeing: Clank!, Century Golem, Scythe, Bring Your Own Book, and Elfenroads.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mom31257 said:

7 Wonders plays 7 (and is fun, never quite sure who will win until scoring)

Dominion is an awesome game, and if you buy a second stand alone (eg Dominion Intrigue stand alone, not expansion only) you can play up to six.

King of Tokyo is a fun game, comic book/Godzilla style king of the hill game with some quirky cards/abilities.

Telestrations is a great large group game. No strategy, but fun,

Snake Oil is hilarious and plays a very large group (can’t remember off hand we have done at least 8).

the One Night Ultimate... Games are fun. We own three.  It’s like the game mafia, but more nuanced. 

Settlers of Catan plays six with the expansion.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Can I ask a couple other questions about games?

I've looked at Agricola before, but I'm not sure what to buy because there seems to be so many versions. Where do you start? I like 2-4 player games for us because our dd is in college in another state.

What other games would you recommend for us? We got Castles of Burgundy last year and love it. Other games we have and enjoy: Catan, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Carcassone, 7 Wonders, Citadels, Kingdom Builders, Airlines Europe, Pandemic (and expansions to some of those). 

SmallWorld, Stone Age (similar to Agricola but a bit less complex/long), Puerto Rico are all similar to your likes

• Like 3

I gave myself Pandemic and Splendor due to Black Friday sales, and we’ve been having fun playing them the last few days.

Sagrada, Takenoko, and Castle Panic are currently on my wish list, but I don’t know when I’ll get around to adding them to the shelves.

• Like 3

I'm enjoying all of your posts.

A few more columns that might be of interest ~ 

This one mentions some family games with which I'm unfamiliar:  3 Player Board Games for Families – The Best of the Best

7 New Family Board Games That Are a Genuinely Good Time | Fatherly

3 Great Board Games You Can Play With Three Players

Best 3 player board game in under an hour?

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

😣 made the mistake of watching game review videos today... opened the worm (wyrm? 🤪) hole... hours of looking at games online and now my list has ballooned out of decent dimensions.  There are so many great looking games out there! We are in the Golden Era of Tabletop Gaming!  Here are some more obscure (at least to me, well before today) games that have me very interested:

Best Treehouse Ever, The River, Bunny Kingdom, Super Dungeon: Explore, Cryptid, Kodama, NMBR 9

• Like 2

Games are a big part of my gift giving this year. People were so helpful with ideas on another thread I had, but now I can't find it to update it, so I thought I'd post here.

This year we are giving:

Settlers of Catan

Qwarkle

Dutch Blitz

Exploding Kittens

Castle Panic

Ticket to Ride

I bought Pandemic for us to play.

• Like 1

Also,  we played a game called The Captain is Dead on Friday and it was so much fun.   It is a cooperative game that was pretty fast paced and hard.  The people 4 people we played with said they had never won it even though they've played multiple times.  We won it that night which was very exciting for the 4 people who had lost it multiple times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Also,  we played a game called The Captain is Dead on Friday and it was so much fun. 

I amused myself because I went searching for a game called The Captain is Dead on Friday only to realize that the game is actually called The Captain is Dead.  Here's an Amazon link in case others are interested.  Thanks for sharing your experience hjffkj; it's always nice to get a first hand account.

Regards,
Kareni

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, hjffkj said:

has anyone played Spirit Island?  It is what I'm thinking of getting for dh but I'd like to see what other people think of it.

My brother speaks very highly of it!  He pulled it out with company and they played it over and over- he's usually a one-and-done gamer, so that says something. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1