Menu

Games ~ What are you giving? Any new discoveries? What are you hoping to receive?

Kareni

13 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Here's another link list, with games ordered in different sections: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/ars-technicas-ultimate-board-game-buyers-guide-2018-edition

What a meaty list, Tanaqui.  I spent quite some time reading through all the choices and learned of several new to me games.  Thanks for posting the link!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Here's another link list, with games ordered in different sections: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/ars-technicas-ultimate-board-game-buyers-guide-2018-edition

Thanks for posting this.   I just ordered Reef.  I think it will appeal to my lego-building younger two.  We'll see.  

Also thanks to this thread I also ordered an expansion and extension set for our settlers game; cities and knights.  We haven't been playing this lately so hopefully this will renew their interest.

• Like 3

My ds spent a good while browsing through the link @Tanaqui shared 😉 The unboxed visuals were so helpful and our games wishlist has now grown!! A few we added

The original Pandemic is sold out - the 10th-anniversary edition looks good (pricey though)  

Dragon's Hoard, and, Friday: A Solo Adventure , are less expensive options 😉    Anyone here played either of these?

Discover Lands Unknown

Fabled Fruit

Reef

NMBR 9

Azul, and Hive are on the list but are currently sold out in the store we use.

• Like 2

We are gifting Utter Nonsense to my husband's family. It looked perfect for them but I have never played it.

For our family, I purchased Carcassone for Kids, Azul, and Dragonwood

Here is another recommendation that I rarely see. Last year I purchased Colorku (basically Suduko with wooden beads) and it was amazing. So many people were drawn to it and we have all loved it in our family!

• Like 2

I'm looking at getting (kids are 16 down to 5, since the baby doesn't play games yet):

Otrio

Forbidden Sky

Expansion pack for Sheriff of Nottingham

Stupid Deaths (my olders requested)

Rock Me Archimedes

Sushi Go

The big kids wanted Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit, but they want the full version with the character pieces, and it's really expensive, so it's probably not going to happen.  

I might also look for one more game that my 5 and 7 year olds can play.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 4Kiddos said:

We are gifting Utter Nonsense to my husband's family. It looked perfect for them but I have never played it.

Utter Nonsense Family Edition - The Game of Funny Voices and Accents!  looks like a lot of fun.  I hope they'll enjoy it, and that you'll have a chance to play at some point.

22 hours ago, 4Kiddos said:

Here is another recommendation that I rarely see. Last year I purchased Colorku (basically Suduko with wooden beads) and it was amazing. So many people were drawn to it and we have all loved it in our family!

I hadn't known of ColorKu, so thanks for mentioning it, 4Kiddos.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, JanOH said:

I just ordered Reef.  I think it will appeal to my lego-building younger two.  We'll see.  

Here's the link for others who might be interested: Reef. I can see where that might appeal to lego aficionados; I hope your children will have fun.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

2 hours ago, happypamama said:

I'm looking at getting (kids are 16 down to 5, since the baby doesn't play games yet):

Otrio

Stupid Deaths (my olders requested)

Rock Me Archimedes

Otrio  is certainly an attractive game!  I'll admit to a certain fondness for games made of wood.  One of the games we like which hasn't been mentioned is Quarto  which is also made of wood; it's a great game to encourage logical thinking.

Stupid Deaths  looks like it could be fun with the right group of players.  [Is this a game for you, @Stacia  ?]

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do find the cards for Sushi Go aren't quite as well made as I like. I invested in card sleeves (very inexpensive! check sizing at BoardGameGeek, but I think they're Standard sized) and am mostly happy. (And because we actually have Sushi Go Party I then went and sorted all cards into baggies for ease of locating.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 4Kiddos said:

It is amazing!   We had this for years and recently gifted it onto another family with younger dc to enjoy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kareni said:

Stupid Deaths  looks like it could be fun with the right group of players.  [Is this a game for you, @Stacia  ?]

Glad you tagged me, Kareni, because I hadn't even been reading this thread.

Looks like a very fun game, might be a good match with my friend's family that I game with semi-regularly. May have to get this one as a group gift. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just bought six games as gifts today (I had already bought four):

Clank!, The River, Honshū, Dungeon Mayhem, Qwixx, and The Magic Labyrinth

Before today I had not heard of Dungeon Mayhem or Honshū. The first is a battling card game where you play as one of 4 DnD classes with a very simplified mechanic.  I demoed one round and thought DS would love it. Honshū is a tile laying game where you are creating a map to expand your fief in feudal Japan. Both are light weight games, compact size (will be stocking stuffers), with shorter play time.

I am really exciting for brother and SIL to play The River and let me know how it is - it’s brand new tile laying, worker placement from Days of Wonder.

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 2

Thanks for the link, @Tanaqui, I see some good choices there!

11 hours ago, Targhee said:

Just bought six games as gifts today (I had already bought four):

Clank!, The River, Honshū, Dungeon Mayhem, Qwixx, and The Magic Labyrinth

What a fun selection, Targhee.  I think you'll be making some people very happy.

Regards,
Kareni

6 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I thought I'd share this BGG thread on games that are sorely underrated (and you probably haven't heard of).

That's quite the thread, Tanaqui.  I'm having fun reading it between other obligations.

Regarding Stupid Deaths:

On 12/14/2018 at 8:35 PM, Stacia said:

Looks like a very fun game, might be a good match with my friend's family that I game with semi-regularly. May have to get this one as a group gift.

I'd love to hear the outcome if you do give and play it, Stacia.

Regards,
Kareni

We bought regular Carcassone for my DD (but now I'm reading this thread that maybe we need the expansions, too? Hmmm. Not quite yet in the budget - we'll see.)

DH is getting a Catan expansion in his stocking.

Pandemic & 7 Wonders are also coming to my house this year. 

BUT . . . for my birthday this year, I got my VERY FAVORITE GAME from my own childhood: 1979 Stop Thief. Oh, I spent hours and hours playing that with my siblings, and the thrill was real when I broke that baby out to play with my own kids. We actually wore out the crime scanner (and I'm desperately hoping one comes in my Christmas stocking) - I have no idea why Parker Brothers has not remade that game. 

We *love* games here (and yes, we probably have way too many, too!). 

• Like 3

We bought regular Carcassone for my DD (but now I'm reading this thread that maybe we need the expansions, too? Hmmm. Not quite yet in the budget - we'll see.)

Ultimately, yes, but it's fine to start with the base game. AND NO FIELDS. DO NOT DO FARMERS UNTIL YOU HAVE PLAYED A FEW ROUNDS ALREADY. Trust me on this one.

List of necessary Carc expansions, in order:

Traders and Builders

The River AND The River II - the vanilla river is a bit boring, and they're inexpensive little expansions so you may as well get both upfront

Inns and Cathedrals

Nice to have expansions, in order:

The Cult mini-expansion

"The Mini-Expansion"

Abbey and Mayor

King and Scout

The Cathars (I think that's what the German means)

I, um, have feelings about this. Very strong feelings.

• Like 2

Regarding Snake Oil Game.

20 hours ago, Targhee said:

It’s a great one!! Belly-busting laughs (with a good crowd of people)

That's good to hear, Targhee, so thank you!

20 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

BUT . . . for my birthday this year, I got my VERY FAVORITE GAME from my own childhood: 1979 Stop Thief. Oh, I spent hours and hours playing that with my siblings, and the thrill was real when I broke that baby out to play with my own kids. We actually wore out the crime scanner (and I'm desperately hoping one comes in my Christmas stocking) - I have no idea why Parker Brothers has not remade that game. 

What fun, Lucy the Valiant!  Did you get a copy of the original game?  It looks like there has been a remake; Target has it, I see.  Stop Thief Board Game

Regards,
Kareni

Thanks to my little postpartum trip back to the hospital for a couple of days which required DH to stay with me so that they would let the baby stay, he doesn't have a lot of vacation time so has to go back to work the 26th, so we gave the kids a couple of things last night so DH can enjoy them with the kids. Otrio was one of the gifts we gave, and it's a huge hit. The 7yo is quite good at it! A bit expensive IMO, but I can live with that. 

I hadn't really thought of another game for the 5 and 7yos, but while driving the other day, 5yo reminded me that they wanted Operation. Amazon Prime to the rescue! They will be so excited. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 12:27 AM, Tanaqui said:

Ultimately, yes, but it's fine to start with the base game. AND NO FIELDS. DO NOT DO FARMERS UNTIL YOU HAVE PLAYED A FEW ROUNDS ALREADY. Trust me on this one.

List of necessary Carc expansions, in order:

Traders and Builders

The River AND The River II - the vanilla river is a bit boring, and they're inexpensive little expansions so you may as well get both upfront

Inns and Cathedrals

Nice to have expansions, in order:

The Cult mini-expansion

"The Mini-Expansion"

Abbey and Mayor

King and Scout

The Cathars (I think that's what the German means)

I, um, have feelings about this. Very strong feelings.

Okay, we've played a few rounds and are comfortable with the River, Farmers, and Abbots. DD is considering using some of her Christmas cash as a 1st expansion, and I came here to point out this wonderful advice to her. ❤️ Thanks, Tanaqui! 🙂

On 12/24/2018 at 2:08 PM, happypamama said:

Thanks to my little postpartum trip back to the hospital for a couple of days which required DH to stay with me so that they would let the baby stay, he doesn't have a lot of vacation time so has to go back to work the 26th, so we gave the kids a couple of things last night so DH can enjoy them with the kids. Otrio was one of the gifts we gave, and it's a huge hit. The 7yo is quite good at it! A bit expensive IMO, but I can live with that. 

I hadn't really thought of another game for the 5 and 7yos, but while driving the other day, 5yo reminded me that they wanted Operation. Amazon Prime to the rescue! They will be so excited. 

I missed this trip, if you posted elsewhere.  How are you doing now?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 10:49 PM, school17777 said:

I missed this trip, if you posted elsewhere.  How are you doing now?

I just saw this (my phone doesn't show me notifications very well).  Six days postpartum, I ended up back in the hospital with postpartum preeclampsia and mag sulfate.  So ridiculous, LOL!  I did recover quickly though, and we are doing well.  Baby is getting big!

So, the expansion pack for Sheriff of Nottingham is great!  It has a bunch of variations, and you can use one or more.  They really like Otrio a ton too!

• Like 3