Jump to content

Menu

Weather (skip if you can’t do small talk)


KungFuPanda
 Share

Recommended Posts

THIS has been my life ALL year. We’ve had rain 46% of our days since Jan. This does not include the days that were cloudy but didn’t rain. I feel cheated and have not stored up enough sun to get through the winter. Does anyone wanna trade me for a week? 

While we’re at it, who wants to sign my petition to remove a month from Winter and give it to Summer AND make EDT permanent?

if winter isn’t a bit drier we’ll never leave the house!

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our weather has been careening from really hot and dry to cold with threatening damp. I have all the wrong clothes in my closet on any given day. I think it is time to switch things out and then, bam- 89 degrees again.

The weather is like living with a teenage girl. It needs to make up its mind or I need a bigger closet.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dh has been working on our deck this summer.  He replaced some boards, power-washed, and sanded. 

The next step is sealing it.  He needs the deck to be dry, have a dry day to do the work and 48 hours with no rain afterward.  I told him that it would be nearly impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would trade a week or more with you in a New York minute. Funny how the grass does seem always greener...I live in a place you might enjoy. Endless sunshine from April till October - we are just now getting a little wind and the temps have dropped to "normal" for human living. Summers here are routinely between F95-F105.

I have prayed for the sun to set, for a cloud to move in every evening when I commute home and have the sun in my eyes. The other day, it was cloudy!!! For the first time in months I could actually clearly see the road before me. YEAH!

I would like daylight savings time abolished or kept at daylight savings and not switch back and forth anymore. It messes with my sleep schedule which is fragile at best.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a lover of the gloomy cool weather.  I've always thought I'd be better suited to PNW or English weather.  This summer has been almost ideal for me.   That said, I noticed about a week ago that I was quite depressed... One of those weeks where it was very hard to put one foot in front of the other.  What you've said about storing up reserves is a light-bulb moment for me

(p.s. - KungFu - IIRC, we're not to far from each other - so we've had similar weather).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

THIS has been my life ALL year. We’ve had rain 46% of our days since Jan. This does not include the days that were cloudy but didn’t rain. I feel cheated and have not stored up enough sun to get through the winter. Does anyone wanna trade me for a week? 

While we’re at it, who wants to sign my petition to remove a month from Winter and give it to Summer AND make EDT permanent?

if winter isn’t a bit drier we’ll never leave the house!

 

I would, but only if it means that month of winter brings it's weather with it. Maybe February can spread out some of it's chill over the months of June-August. I wouldn't mind moving to an 11 month year if it meant we could have fall temps all summer, plus some good sledding snow in the winter.

And moving February to summer has it's obvious benefits for homeschoolers who follow the public school calendar. Summer break is a perfect time for February blahs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We really haven’t had much rain since March, but we just started having rain again.

I am throwing open the curtains, getting out for a walk early in the am, and I am about to drag out my SAD lamp as I have noticed a drop in energy as the days get shorter.

i actually really love rain, but I have to push myself to get out in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We have had a drier than normal year but now we are in our rainy season.  I don't mind as long as there are sunbreaks, though.  Do  you need to take vitamin D?  One of those SAD lights? 

 

I think I need to do both of these. I don’t usually need the SAD lamp until January, but I’m feeling like a mostly-dead battery. I have creative work I need to do and I’m just all around uninspired. 

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Dh has been working on our deck this summer.  He replaced some boards, power-washed, and sanded. 

The next step is sealing it.  He needs the deck to be dry, have a dry day to do the work and 48 hours with no rain afterward.  I told him that it would be nearly impossible.

 

We took down trees in the winter. We were supposed to call for stump removal “when it dried out.” We still haven’t called. 

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

I am a lover of the gloomy cool weather.  I've always thought I'd be better suited to PNW or English weather.  This summer has been almost ideal for me.   That said, I noticed about a week ago that I was quite depressed... One of those weeks where it was very hard to put one foot in front of the other.  What you've said about storing up reserves is a light-bulb moment for me

(p.s. - KungFu - IIRC, we're not to far from each other - so we've had similar weather).

 

I was talking about Maryland weather somewhere online and all these PNW people who had lived both places were chiming in. We get much more rain than they do. ?

1 hour ago, Petrichor said:

I would, but only if it means that month of winter brings it's weather with it. Maybe February can spread out some of it's chill over the months of June-August. I wouldn't mind moving to an 11 month year if it meant we could have fall temps all summer, plus some good sledding snow in the winter.

And moving February to summer has it's obvious benefits for homeschoolers who follow the public school calendar. Summer break is a perfect time for February blahs!

 

You are missing the point entirely! I happen to live with people who keep the house cold year-round. I’ve had my very first hot flashes over the last few weeks. They are not unpleasant! It’s so much easier to get out of bed in the morning when your body is warm.  I’m calling them power surges. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am ready for cooler weather. It is only 88 today. My kids want to go to the pumpkin patch, but I refuse to go until it cools off. The pumpkins will just rot in this heat. The weather channel says that it will cool off later this week. I really hope it is right!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is absolutely pouring with rain here today. We have been having horribly hot weather here the last few weeks though, 88 degrees which is horrendous for October! I've heard our area described as too hot to go outside in summer and too cold to go outside in winter and that about sums it up!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Send all excess rain to Australia, we have currently just finished the driest winter Aus wide since records started being kept. we ( far East Gippsland, Victoria) are in the second year of a drought. they have started doing fortnightly readings of all the bush (forest) in my part of the state for dryness and it is dryer than it would normally be after a hot summer. We are already on fire restrictions - 3 months earlier than normal. We are dreading the coming summer, we are fully expecting to get burned out. We are not even as bad off as NSW- they are so dry that it is just dust. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’ll trade you. I can’t remember the last time it rained. Well, I take that back.... we had a few sprinkles last week. But real rain?? Maybe last April?? 

 

If I remember right, you are just a little south of me and yeah, that was not rain but just a passing spritzer. For all we know maybe a few incontinent birds...?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The PNW gets a lot less precipitation than many other places without the rainy reputation we have.  What we do get more of, on average, is gray/cloudy days.  On average Seattle gets less than 2 months of clear days per year.  So we are used to, year in and year out, living without the sun.  The last two summers, a large chunk of our most reliably clear August days have been lost to fire forest fire smoke.  Like the forecast just said "smoke".  I was jonesing for rain those days!  

My alarm clock is a therapy light, lol.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Send all excess rain to Australia, we have currently just finished the driest winter Aus wide since records started being kept. we ( far East Gippsland, Victoria) are in the second year of a drought. they have started doing fortnightly readings of all the bush (forest) in my part of the state for dryness and it is dryer than it would normally be after a hot summer. We are already on fire restrictions - 3 months earlier than normal. We are dreading the coming summer, we are fully expecting to get burned out. We are not even as bad off as NSW- they are so dry that it is just dust. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Our firies have been told to make plans for which brigades/trucks can easily do interstate deployment to VIC and NSW this year.

did you get any rain out of last week or did it pass you by?  

 

we got 1.8 mm of rain.

2 of my sons are remote area  bush firefighters. They have already been at fires in this part the state. Running bushfires in winter here have not happened in my area before.  There have been over 3 so far very close to where I live. One , just recently, was started by a spark from a timber harvester machine. These type of fires usually only occur in the very hottest days in summer . but it is just so dry.

 They being young, are excited about the prospect of a lot of overtime this summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

we got 1.8 mm of rain.

2 of my sons are remote area  bush firefighters. They have already been at fires in this part the state. Running bushfires in winter here have not happened in my area before.  There have been over 3 so far very close to where I live. One , just recently, was started by a spark from a timber harvester machine. These type of fires usually only occur in the very hottest days in summer . but it is just so dry.

 They being young, are excited about the prospect of a lot of overtime this summer.

Oh wow not much at all then!  Hope your boys stay safe.  My oldest wants to be either a water bomber pilot (probably unlikely) or a forestry fire fighter right now. But he’s 12 so plenty of time to change of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...