Menu

Wasted hors d'oeuvres from a "shower"

sheryl

DD and I were invited to a bridal shower brunch.  This is a new crowd of people.  We already knew some but others are new.  We did NOT know the bride-to-be but the hostess of the bridal shower knows everyone in the group and us as well.  She decided to ask us to probably not feel left out and that was nice of her.  I don't know if the girl felt awkward we were there b/c dd and I don't know this girl. 

So, there was a headcount of about 18 (a few people didn't make it).

We were asked to bring donut skewers (another thread I started recently).  We bought 4 pks of donuts, special paper, strawberries.  DD and I hand cut-out about 75 hearts and hand cut-out/shaped 50 strawberries.  Each skewer had 2 strawberries, 3 donuts (alternated) and 3 hearts hot glued  on the top of stick.  We took 24 of these things to the shower.

DD and the girl next to me had one.  That's it!  Maybe 2 more people.  There were 20-22 left over skewers.   Yeah, it was the money (even though it wasn't that much, it's still the idea of it not being eaten at the shower - that was the purpose), and time spent shopping for the materials and cutting/arranging by hand. 

VENT OVER!

I'm not taking donut skewers again.  Or, if I do it will be b/c I know the people and their preferences better! :)

Funny, this is the first time an hors d'oeuvre I've taken wasn't eaten! 

And, they were pretty.......................sigh

PS - I did divide up and give half to the hostess and brought rest home.  DH has enjoyed them so all not wasted! 

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 1

Right.  They were eaten so not wasted but on the one hand they were b/c they were not eaten according to the reason why they were made in the first place.

I'm going to be more mindful of what I take next time.  I felt obligated b/c the hostess was specific to bring "donut skewers".  Oh well....

I apologize on behalf of all "I don't ever eat anything at a shower/potluck" people everywhere.  I never eat at social events for a few reasons, but maybe some people just didn't want to "ruin the display" by eating one.  Duh, that's what they're there for!

They sound neat though!  I wonder if DS8 would like something like that for his birthday.  He LOVES donuts and fancy presentation.

• Like 1

I"d be more irritated by being told to bring something so specific like that to a potluck.  Let alone a shower.  I've never been invited to a potluck shower?   I prefer not make stuff I would not actually eat.  Were there other dessert items? Did you also bring a gift to this shower or was that considered your gift?  Anyway - I'd be irritated too, but I would have been irritated earlier in the process.  LOL.  

I almost never eat processed sweets and it is not unusual for me not to each much if at all at some events like this.  I'll occasionally indulge in a extra special homemade dessert.   But store bought donuts on a skewer would be wasted on me too.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry those got left over. I probably wouldn't have eaten them, though I would have wanted to. Donuts make my blood sugar go crazy.

But I have to say, it was mighty nice of you to go to a shower for someone you did not know, and take food.  Honestly I feel that was a bit rude of the hostess. I get that you believe she was trying not to have you feel left out, but I can't imagine feeling left out of a shower for someone I don't know.  Or if she felt she had to invite you, she should not have had  you bring food. But I am not a fan of showers where guests are expected to also bring food. 

• Like 8

You deserve some kudos- you went even though you didn’t know the bride and you brought the assigned food. It would annoy me to be told to bring food to a shower when I am an invited guest, Co-hosting? sure. 

‘I wouldn’t have eaten one because I’d never eat three mini donuts at once. But I would have appreciated the work you put into it!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Sorry they didn't eat them, but I think it may just have been an issue of too much sweet stuff. I would pass, too - I'd never eat 3 mini donuts.

Being asked to bring something this specific strikes me as very strange.

How can there be so many people who can’t eat three doughnut holes? That’s less doughnut than a normal-sized doughnut. 

• Like 10

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

How can there be so many people who can’t eat three doughnut holes? That’s less doughnut than a normal-sized doughnut. 

Also, those Walmart ones arrive frozen and when put out on the floor have a 21 day shelf life. I’m not wasting calories on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don't eat normal sized donuts either. Too sweet and not enough taste to make all the sugar worth it.

Edited by regentrude

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

Perhaps you’re not really applying yourself? Now, I’m not mad. . . I’m just disappointed. 

I can apply myself when it comes to baked goods that are actually GOOD. Like what my DD bakes. But store bought stuff in this country? Nope, not worth it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I could easily eat 3 donut holes, or 3 mini-donuts (I think that's what they were, not donut holes?) or even 3 entire regular donuts for that matter.  Even store-bought, even slightly stale. I love donuts.

But, they do make my blood sugar go sky-high, much worse than mini 3 Musketeers, or better yet, kit-kats or snickers bars.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Only because donuts are not my love language. Pain au chocolat? I can easily eat three at once sitting!

For real, though!  The one thing I (repeatedly) ate in France that has ruined me forever. 

• Like 1

This is frustrating. The donut skewers sound cute and delicious.

A similar thing happened to me with DH's family the first Thanksgiving that we were married, and then again at Christmas right after that. DH's mom and sisters worked on the menu, and I was assigned sweet potatoes. I found a great recipe, and DH and I were the only ones who ate any. At Christmas, I brought chocolate covered pretzels to share; hardly any gotten eaten. I've learned that with his family, they have their specific recipes they like, and there's no sense in making anything outside of it, unless I plan to eat it all by myself (which I think I did plan to do one year that I was pregnant and craving some specific dessert). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think being asked to bring something, and something so specific, is super weird, but I know I live where people are snobby and wouldn’t dream of doing a potluck shower. 

The title of this thread reminded me of a baby shower I went to once. *I* did not personally bring this, but I watched as the sister of the mom-to-be put a spinach dip into a bread boule and tore up little bits of the bread and arranged it all...and then, a few hours later, threw the whole bread, dip, everything directly in the trash. Party over - don’t need this now! I was totally shocked! It seemed so gaulingly wasteful. I have never been inclined to present or eat anything in a bread boule ever since. 

• Like 3

Yes and yes to all.  When I was younger I used to eat more donuts but I'm not a real fan of them now. I don't dislike them but I don't go out of my way to eat one. Well, except that time dh, dd and I learned about Duck Donuts on OBX last year.  We found one in Charlotte and they are good! Still, it's just a donut y'all.  MOST people would eat 1.  I'm not the donut Nazi (HA) making sure they do but for almost all of them to be left is rude, imo.  Out of 18 people I can not imagine most people don't like a donut every now and then.  They could have shared the stick even.  And, there were 2 nice strawberries per skewer!  

I forgot to mention they were donut holes and 1 mini. So, top to bottom:

3 paper hearts
donut hole
strawberry
mini donut ring
strawberry
donut hole

AND, get this.  I found these donut holes: regular/cake, ever-so-slightly glazed, white powder (dh's favorite), cake w/chocolate glaze/sprinkles AND cinnamon!  The mini ring was a coconut!

Wonderful flavors.

So, for those of you who like or eat donuts a little or a lot, what are your favorite flavors?  I like cinnamon anything.  

• Like 2

And, thanks for your compliments!  I appreciate it.  Jin, sorry that happened.  It sounds similar. I just think it's rude to not at least try what the person brought.  Quill, that is a shame.  Like you, that would bother me too.  I was raised to not be wasteful.  

Oh well! 

This was the brunch:

Sausage patty biscuit
Monkey Bread
Bacon strips
Banana and yogurt
Coffee

Oh, yeah, those donut skewers! 

Who on earth would suggest these foods?  Ridiculous.  Personally I think my strawberries saved the party!  ?

So, what would y'all serve?  I might go with fruit/yogurt/granola cups, nuts (if no one has a serious allergy - meaning they can abstain from eating and still remain in same room), cheese cubes, veggie tray, petite cupcakes.  I'd have to really think about it more. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Quill said:

I think being asked to bring something, and something so specific, is super weird, but I know I live where people are snobby and wouldn’t dream of doing a potluck shower. 

The title of this thread reminded me of a baby shower I went to once. *I* did not personally bring this, but I watched as the sister of the mom-to-be put a spinach dip into a bread boule and tore up little bits of the bread and arranged it all...and then, a few hours later, threw the whole bread, dip, everything directly in the trash. Party over - don’t need this now! I was totally shocked! It seemed so gaulingly wasteful. I have never been inclined to present or eat anything in a bread boule ever since. 

I've never lived in a snobby place but most people I know think potluck showers are rude.   Except, of course, those who throw them.  But I've even known one person who complained about potluck showers but then had to host one and guess what?  Turns out they are fine after all.  

Shower guests are being asked to bring a gift. They shouldn't also have to provide the dang food.   That's what hosts are for. That's why showers often have a group of friends co-hosting.

Sorry if I sound harsh; I'm not annoyed with you Quill. Just been to too many showers where I was supposed to bring both food and a gift, and a piece of advice, and a recipe...and and and.

I'd have eaten the spinach dip in a bread bowl. I love spinach dip, though when I serve it I use a regular bowl and serve baguette on the side. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes and yes to all.  When I was younger I used to eat more donuts but I'm not a real fan of them now. I don't dislike them but I don't go out of my way to eat one. Well, except that time dh, dd and I learned about Duck Donuts on OBX last year.  We found one in Charlotte and they are good! Still, it's just a donut y'all.  MOST people would eat 1.  I'm not the donut Nazi (HA) making sure they do but for almost all of them to be left is rude, imo.  Out of 18 people I can not imagine most people don't like a donut every now and then.  They could have shared the stick even.  And, there were 2 nice strawberries per skewer!  

I forgot to mention they were donut holes and 1 mini. So, top to bottom:

3 paper hearts
donut hole
strawberry
mini donut ring
strawberry
donut hole

AND, get this.  I found these donut holes: regular/cake, ever-so-slightly glazed, white powder (dh's favorite), cake w/chocolate glaze/sprinkles AND cinnamon!  The mini ring was a coconut!

Wonderful flavors.

So, for those of you who like or eat donuts a little or a lot, what are your favorite flavors?  I like cinnamon anything.  

Thanks for the “recipe”, I think this would be fun for DS8’s birthday.  He also wants “poop cupcakes” but I imagine some people can’t bring themselves to eat those, even with the little candy eyeballs.

Wait! I just remembered I’m planning breakfast for a birthday/girls weekend this week.  I might try this.

My favorite donut is from the shop by my house.  It’s a folded-up longjohn with cheesecake filling and some kind of buttery crust crumbles.  I can’t even eat the whole thing, and it still fills me up for the day.

• Like 1

I had to Google, as I had never heard of such a thing. They do look cute, and probably very popular at a kid event; seem sort of hard to eat for adults, maybe? Would be frustrating to have leftovers because it doesn't seem they would keep very well, with the cut fruit next to a doughnut.

37 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Thanks for the “recipe”, I think this would be fun for DS8’s birthday.  He also wants “poop cupcakes” but I imagine some people can’t bring themselves to eat those, even with the little candy eyeballs.

Wait! I just remembered I’m planning breakfast for a birthday/girls weekend this week.  I might try this.

My favorite donut is from the shop by my house.  It’s a folded-up longjohn with cheesecake filling and some kind of buttery crust crumbles.  I can’t even eat the whole thing, and it still fills me up for the day.

Poop cupcakes? Is this a typo?

I've heard @ssh0le cupcakes. It involves a cherry lifesaver and chocolate sprinkles.

Well if every one they brought a plate of 24 things and there were only 18 guests I imagine there was way too much food which could explain some of it.

the other thing is although I’m a donut lover, the grocery store donuts give me major indigestion (I’ve indulged my love a few too many times and now the whole system rebels.  I’m ok with baked fresh daily bakery donuts that aren’t loaded with preservatives.   So maybe the source or the avoidance was that.

Either way I would hate being given such a specific request.

14 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

I've heard @ssh0le cupcakes. It involves a cherry lifesaver and chocolate sprinkles.

Both sound so disgusting to me.  I couldn't eat that, even knowing what it was...or wasn't.

Remember kitty litter cake? I couldn't eat that either.  

27 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

It’s a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting shaped like the “poop emoji”.

?  <- That thing.  He has a poop emoji cup and pillow he got as gifts.  My niece has a little one clipped on her backpack.

There’s a dessert bar in Toronto called the Poop Cafe that he is begging for us to go to.  I am not getting passports just to eat ice cream in a tiny toilet bowl.

Honestly, we need a gastroenterologist in the family, so maybe all this fecal interest will lead somewhere...

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I wouldn't have eaten those because I would figure the donuts could be soggy from the strawberries next to them. You say that you didn't know the bride-to-be. Do you know the groom? I wouldn't have gone to a shower if I didn't know the bride. Actually, I don't go to showers even when I know the people. ?

I think doughnut skewers sound perfect for a tween sleepover. I really like the idea, and I will try it for my boys because gluten free doughnuts are awful but GF doughnut holes can be made pretty yummy! I might do it for Christmas morning.

But every women's gathering I've been to lately, everyone pretends they don't really consume food in public. A nibble of a mini quiche and 1/4 of a cupcake, seemed to be the standard rate at DDIL's bridal shower brunch. So they would not have wanted a whole doughnut skewer.

(Those hosting were not thrilled with all the leftovers. They didn't know two dozen women would go to a brunch and not eat. The mimosas, OTOH - zero waste!)

I blame the hostess, OP, obviously, you provided the requested recipe and did it perfectly! And I agree that you shouldn't have been assigned a dish for a party for a person you don't even know.

• Like 1

Just now, Tibbie Dunbar said:

I think doughnut skewers sound perfect for a tween sleepover. I really like the idea, and I will try it for my boys because gluten free doughnuts are awful but GF doughnut holes can be made pretty yummy! I might do it for Christmas morning.

But every women's gathering I've been to lately, everyone pretends they don't really consume food in public. A nibble of a mini quiche and 1/4 of a cupcake, seemed to be the standard rate at DDIL's bridal shower brunch. So they would not have wanted a whole doughnut skewer.

(Those hosting were not thrilled with all the leftovers. They didn't know two dozen women would go to a brunch and not eat. The mimosas, OTOH - zero waste!)

I blame the hostess, OP, obviously, you provided the requested recipe and did it perfectly! And I agree that you shouldn't have been assigned a dish for a party for a person you don't even know.

I have a gluten free cookbook called Baked Donuts for Everyone. They are cake-style donuts instead of yeast and not a perfect substitution, but sooooo much better than the frozen boxed ones.

• Like 2

I can't get over how weird it is that you don't even know the bride but were asked to bring food - and food that was pretty complicated and time-consuming to make! That was very gracious of you to make such an effort.

I don't eat donuts, but would happily eat the strawberries.?(I wouldn't have eaten the other food, either, except for a banana and some coffee.)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

It’s a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting shaped like the “poop emoji”.

?  <- That thing.  He has a poop emoji cup and pillow he got as gifts.  My niece has a little one clipped on her backpack.

There’s a dessert bar in Toronto called the Poop Cafe that he is begging for us to go to.  I am not getting passports just to eat ice cream in a tiny toilet bowl.

Honestly, we need a gastroenterologist in the family, so maybe all this fecal interest will lead somewhere...

That's funny! The Poop Cafe!

LOL

19 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

But every women's gathering I've been to lately, everyone pretends they don't really consume food in public. A nibble of a mini quiche and 1/4 of a cupcake, seemed to be the standard rate at DDIL's bridal shower brunch.

That is so weird. At our women's gatherings, we all tend to fill our plates and eat with gusto. The last one I attended on Friday, we all ate until we felt ready to burst, because everybody is such a good cook and our potlucks are fantastic. (And it's mostly healthy food, so overeating isn't really a problem.)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

That is so weird. At our women's gatherings, we all tend to fill our plates and eat with gusto. The last one I attended on Friday, we all ate until we felt ready to burst, because everybody is such a good cook and our potlucks are fantastic. (And it's mostly healthy food, so overeating isn't really a problem.)

That's what I thought! Weird! Other than the cupcakes, the menu at DDIL's  brunch was "whole foods" and varied, and served in a clean, attractive setting. I don't know what went wrong.

Thanks for the feedback to "everyone"!  I'm combining answers here - quicker.   

We don't know the groom either.   There were supposed to be 20-25 or so people.   Several people were no-shows.  But, you know how that goes.  It's a numbers game.  I made too many.  I should have made only 12 and/or not put so much food on.  However, a skewer is normally packed.  Think steak, chicken, veggies.  I guess I don't think 2 donuts holes and 1 donut ring plus 2 strawberries is too much!  But, just the nature of donuts being so carby.  UGH! 

So, we don't know the bride and groom.  I was NOT asked to put the cut out paper hearts OR strawberries on. I just did so after thinking how to make it bridal-shower worthy.  I thought it would be a nice gesture.   So, b/t thinking, researching, supply shopping, cut outs, stacking, etc. it probably came to 6 hours!  I don't like the idea of donut skewers now because as many of you mentioned it's a bit.  I won't be making these again.  However, they were small and as KungFuPanda said, 3 together could equal 1 larger, regular-sized donut.  Still, it's apparent donuts are not a fav. 

The donuts were not soggy at all because we "assembled/stacked" at the event site.  Also, b/c they are not crammed together, they really haven't gotten soggy.  I instructed dd to lightly rinse, pat dry and put in freezer for 5 minutes to set.  Even today, Monday, with a few left they are not soggy.

There's food for thought!   ?

Oh well.  Too funny! 

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

We were asked to bring donut skewers (another thread I started recently).  We bought 4 pks of donuts, special paper, strawberries.  DD and I hand cut-out about 75 hearts and hand cut-out/shaped 50 strawberries.  Each skewer had 2 strawberries, 3 donuts (alternated) and 3 hearts hot glued  on the top of stick.  We took 24 of these things to the shower.

I'm just going to be perfectly honest.  I've never met you so this is a general answer for why I personally wouldn't choose something like this.  (And I would never ask someone to make these for a party.)   I'm a squeamish, germaphobish person, and this as described is too much of a "hands-on" food for me.  I'd eat the donuts out of the box, though.  In fact, I prefer boxed donuts, especially since my local grocery store made the bakery donuts serve-yourself and located the donuts right next to the restrooms.  

Fancy, fussy food is really wasted on me.  

oh, wow, laurie. I get it, actually.  I have an aversion to germs too! ?  so, that's appreciated.

well, dd and I washed our hands with soap and water in the kitchen. we were in full view of everyone as the house is an open floor plan and people were milling around the coffee!

with clean hands we stacked everything - from box to our hands to skewer to plate.  nope, no cross-contamination here.  BUT, I do get where you're coming from.  We drove to Charleston, SC over the weekend.  We were at "The Market".  I went to the restroom and I saw a woman leave the stall and proceed out to the market without washing her hands.  I don't know if anyone one the boards does this, but please y'all wash your hands.  Her hands were going to touch merchandise and open door handles, perhaps.  Anyone coming after her would come in contact with those germs. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Laurie said:

I'm just going to be perfectly honest.  I've never met you so this is a general answer for why I personally wouldn't choose something like this.  (And I would never ask someone to make these for a party.)   I'm a squeamish, germaphobish person, and this as described is too much of a "hands-on" food for me.  I'd eat the donuts out of the box, though.  In fact, I prefer boxed donuts, especially since my local grocery store made the bakery donuts serve-yourself and located the donuts right next to the restrooms.  

Fancy, fussy food is really wasted on me.  

This is part of my issue too (the rest is an alphabet soup of legit GI problems).  Anything handled with bare hands or notorious for food poisoning turns my stomach, and it’s actually hard to watch someone eat it, let alone partake of it myself.  I had to watch DS10 eat potato salad at two picnics/parties this month, and I was pretty nauseous afterward.  He was fine.  I don’t want to make my food issues his problem, so I try not to steer them away from valid options (my post-library hand-licking child is a whole ‘nother story!).

Also, if this was a bridal shower, were many of the guests in the bridal party?  I wonder if they were turning down high-calorie foods because of all the dress fittings.

Edited by BarbecueMom

24 minutes ago, sheryl said:

oh, wow, laurie. I get it, actually.  I have an aversion to germs too! ?  so, that's appreciated.

well, dd and I washed our hands with soap and water in the kitchen. we were in full view of everyone as the house is an open floor plan and people were milling around the coffee!

with clean hands we stacked everything - from box to our hands to skewer to plate.  nope, no cross-contamination here.  BUT, I do get where you're coming from.  We drove to Charleston, SC over the weekend.  We were at "The Market".  I went to the restroom and I saw a woman leave the stall and proceed out to the market without washing her hands.  I don't know if anyone one the boards does this, but please y'all wash your hands.  Her hands were going to touch merchandise and open door handles, perhaps.  Anyone coming after her would come in contact with those germs. 

I also have an aversion to germs.  About a year ago, I noticed our grocery store had no soap in the ladies room dispenser.  I was horrified and contacted the manager.  I couldn't believe none of the employees reported that there was no soap and that they were using the restroom without washing their hands.  

3 hours ago, JIN MOUSA said:

This is frustrating. The donut skewers sound cute and delicious.

A similar thing happened to me with DH's family the first Thanksgiving that we were married, and then again at Christmas right after that. DH's mom and sisters worked on the menu, and I was assigned sweet potatoes. I found a great recipe, and DH and I were the only ones who ate any. At Christmas, I brought chocolate covered pretzels to share; hardly any gotten eaten. I've learned that with his family, they have their specific recipes they like, and there's no sense in making anything outside of it, unless I plan to eat it all by myself (which I think I did plan to do one year that I was pregnant and craving some specific dessert). 

My family can be like that.  Sometimes I have to check my attitude to make sure I'm not just looking for ways to "froofy gourmet" the traditional dishes out of spite instead of making something I think they'd really enjoy.  I think I posted about the Christmas Eve my mom cried because I put vegetables in the salad... sigh.

We have the problem in DH's family where my assigned dish gets eaten and complimented, but someone else ALWAYS brings the exact same thing.  Doesn't matter what it is - side dish, drinks, rolls, dessert.  Even when we have to miss the gathering because of illness, we find a way to make sure someone picks up our dish (if not contagious) or make/buy another one (if contagious).  We stopped making anything homemade for several years because what was the point?  FIL has taken over most of the hosting duties now, and I don't think he's telling everyone what I'm bringing now.  Hah!

• Like 2

klmama, just read the original post - don't want to re-explain it.  I stated it up.  

no, I think the bride and groom might elope. I really don't know.  If they are having bridesmaids, I didn't see any of the bridal party there, except the bride.

I get the clean hands thing, and as I said I keep germs away but honestly these are women (many, but not all) who know one another and if I knew someone washed her hands with soap and water I would not be fazed by it.    I'm sure most of us don't use latex cards when prepping in the kitchen!   Do restaurants even use them?  It would be more serious if she had an open wound or healing wound on/near her hand.

Still, with all of that said, I won't be taking donut skewers again.  Thanks all for your input.  

To be honest, what was I to say?  NO? I won't bring a food. It was awkward to be asked and just 48 hours beforehand (she texted me Thursday for a Saturday event)!  In the future, if I don't have sufficient notice, I may handle it differently. 

• Like 1