8 hours ago, sheryl said:

This was the brunch:

Sausage patty biscuit
Monkey Bread
Bacon strips
Banana and yogurt
Coffee

Oh, yeah, those donut skewers! 

Who on earth would suggest these foods?  Ridiculous.  Personally I think my strawberries saved the party!  ?

So, what would y'all serve?  I might go with fruit/yogurt/granola cups, nuts (if no one has a serious allergy - meaning they can abstain from eating and still remain in same room), cheese cubes, veggie tray, petite cupcakes.  I'd have to really think about it more. 

I think this is your answer.  Of those items, I would serve the biscuits OR the donuts OR the monkey bread, not all three.  That's just a lot.  There was just too much food and people had to pick.  18 people is not that many to go through all that.  

For a brunch shower, I would probably serve quiche (or baked eggs in ramekins), roasted asparagus or similar and a nice fruit salad.  Or eggs benedict and fruit.  Or a lox spread of some sort if I was in a hurry.  We did a brunch for our wedding reception and it was:  Baked eggs, roasted veggies, homemade granola and homemade muffins.  We did the catering ourselves and by we I mean myself and the best man.  The muffins and granola were picked because they could be made ahead and the eggs and veggies were picked because they were cheap but tasty and could cook up nicely during the ceremony. It was a lot of food but it was a wedding + there were 60 guests so we assumed correctly that not everyone would like granola and muffins.  My husband made the dessert, which was cheesecake cups with pomegranate and chocolate topping.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4

When I have done brunch showers, I have had quiche (often one with and one without crust), yogurt (plain and vanilla), fruit, and granola, and a sweet pastry or other dessert.  If it's a large group, I'd do 2 types of quiche, one with meat, one without.   Maybe a non-sweet bread such as croissant.  

People have seemed happy with that and mostly eat heartily. There are always those women who sigh and say 'well, should I be good and stick to yogurt and fruit, or be bad and have a pastry" but I just ignore them.  Eat what you want, don't eat what you don't want, but don't passive-aggressively try to get me to talk you into taking a pastry so you can eat it without guilt. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Ok, so I googled.  I am now firmly convinced the Pinterest will kill us all someday soon.  

Case in point:  

e3215b15c08abf7c22735d1d92155a6a.jpg

This is hysterical!  I did have fun researching ideas for the donut skewer and saw this one among the others.  

14 hours ago, sheryl said:

<snip>

Jin, sorry that happened.  It sounds similar. I just think it's rude to not at least try what the person brought. 

<snip>

Y'all don't feel bad for me - I'm sure I cried *more* than enough with the sweet potato incident, and by the chocolate-covered pretzel incident it was just funny. I mean, who doesn't like chocolate-covered pretzels?!?!? And it's not because the family is super healthy; they aren't. It just didn't fit into their "This is what we eat at Christmas" mindset -- i.e. the cinnamon rolls in the morning MUST be canned Pillsbury, NOT homemade. 

10 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

My family can be like that.  Sometimes I have to check my attitude to make sure I'm not just looking for ways to "froofy gourmet" the traditional dishes out of spite instead of making something I think they'd really enjoy.  I think I posted about the Christmas Eve my mom cried because I put vegetables in the salad... sigh.

We have the problem in DH's family where my assigned dish gets eaten and complimented, but someone else ALWAYS brings the exact same thing.  Doesn't matter what it is - side dish, drinks, rolls, dessert.  Even when we have to miss the gathering because of illness, we find a way to make sure someone picks up our dish (if not contagious) or make/buy another one (if contagious).  We stopped making anything homemade for several years because what was the point?  FIL has taken over most of the hosting duties now, and I don't think he's telling everyone what I'm bringing now.  Hah!

Families are funny. I think we're all funny in our way, but the funny you grow up with seems normal, right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

I think doughnut skewers sound perfect for a tween sleepover. I really like the idea, and I will try it for my boys because gluten free doughnuts are awful but GF doughnut holes can be made pretty yummy! I might do it for Christmas morning.

But every women's gathering I've been to lately, everyone pretends they don't really consume food in public. A nibble of a mini quiche and 1/4 of a cupcake, seemed to be the standard rate at DDIL's bridal shower brunch. So they would not have wanted a whole doughnut skewer.

(Those hosting were not thrilled with all the leftovers. They didn't know two dozen women would go to a brunch and not eat. The mimosas, OTOH - zero waste!)

I blame the hostess, OP, obviously, you provided the requested recipe and did it perfectly! And I agree that you shouldn't have been assigned a dish for a party for a person you don't even know.

I feel compelled to ask why one couldn't make gluten free donuts from the same recipe that makes gluten free donut holes.  What am I missing?

Also, do you have a gluten free donut hole recipe to share?  I might want to make these at school.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Ok, so I googled.  I am now firmly convinced the Pinterest will kill us all someday soon.  

Case in point:  

e3215b15c08abf7c22735d1d92155a6a.jpg

Oh my goodness.  My coteacher and I love to attempt ridiculously ambitious snacks with our class, and then laugh at the outcome.  This is perfect!  Now, I just need to find gluten free/dairy free powdered donut holes.  

Thank you!  Thank you!

41 minutes ago, Daria said:

I feel compelled to ask why one couldn't make gluten free donuts from the same recipe that makes gluten free donut holes.  What am I missing?

Also, do you have a gluten free donut hole recipe to share?  I might want to make these at school.

Does this work?  Sounds good!  

Donut Mix
  1. 3/4 cup rice flour (We use Bob's Red Mill)
  2. 3/4 cup all-purpose GF flour
  3. 1/2 cup coconut milk
  4. 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  5. 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
  6. 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  7. 1 tsp cinnamon
  8. 1 tsp organic Apple Cider Vinegar
  9. 1 flax egg (1 TBSP to 3TBSP warm water)
  10. 1/2 cup vegan butter melted (divided)
Donut Topping
  1. 1 cup organic powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. Prepare flax egg, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 and spray your donut pan. Mix all ingredients together, being sure to include only 1/4 cup melted butter. (Reserve the other 1/4 cup for coating and dipping the donuts later). When batter becomes a thick consistency, divide into donut pan, using a spoon to smooth batter evenly around each mold. Bake for 13-15 min, until firm and set. Allow to cool in pan for 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Once cooled, place 1/4 cup melted vegan butter in bowl and your powdered sugar in a ziploc baggie. Dip donuts, one at a time in the butter and then the powdered sugar, shaking around the bag contents until donut is fully dusted with sugar. Transfer to serving dish. Best enjoyed same day!

• Thanks 1

Sorry you went to all that trouble.  I think it's weird you were given such a specific dish to bring.

I wouldn't have eaten them myself.  I only have one dessert at an event and it would've been the cake.

With the number of people on restricted diets for all sorts of reasons I would've suggested fruit skewers if I had been inclined to dictate that level of detail to potluckers. I have SIL who will invite all my relatives, most of whom are on strict diets for diabetic reasons (she knows this, so is she) but insists on preparing several desserts, few healthy options, and will wonder why she has so many leftovers.  Why?  Because she thinks her brainstorm counts as a plan. She doesn't cull her brainstorm down with her guests or the general public in mind, she just puts out excess and publicly nags her guests to eat more then complains loudly about having leftovers, get this, that she shouldn't eat because of her weight and her pre-diabetes. It's so annoying.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ

1 hour ago, Daria said:

You can make small, round cake doughnuts with a hole in the middle, baked in a shaped pan, with the same recipe as for small, cake doughnut holes. With such a recipe - and the pans that are molds - it's okay that the batter is typical for gf baking: You can pour it. You can't shape it.

For yeast doughnuts, it kind of works to make a stiff batter that you can drop into the hot oil (small doughnut holes) but you can't roll and cut the dough for a traditional doughnut.

There are recipes out there for gf yeast doughnuts, but they are difficult and expensive to make. And in the absence of gluten, you might get the shape right, but it will be so heavy. 

Thats the story for shaped baked goods. I used to bake a lot before my family was diagnosed with celiac disease. I made pretzels, pitas, doughnuts, braided loaves, everything...it is gluten that makes dough stretch and lighten. When you bake without gluten, you have to compromise somewhere - appearance, texture, flavor, or nutrition. Some gf bakers have been able to manipulate the dough more, but the recipe will be tasteless, empty starches with more fat. My family doesn't find that approach to be cost effective or digestible. We are more likely to compromise on appearance and texture, and try for good flavor and nutritious ingredients.

I quickly learned to just let it go, with the bread, and concentrate on foods that are naturally GF, for both economy and nutrition. We have some baked goods in our diet, such as muffins, pancakes and rotis, loaf bread, birthday cake, cookies, and pie. I can use flours made of rice, gf oats, gf buckwheat, sorghum, millet, tapioca, coconut, almond for these. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

You can make small, round cake doughnuts with a hole in the middle, baked in a shaped pan, with the same recipe as for small, cake doughnut holes. With such a recipe - and the pans that are molds - it's okay that the batter is typical for gf baking: You can pour it. You can't shape it.

For yeast doughnuts, it kind of works to make a stiff batter that you can drop into the hot oil (small doughnut holes) but you can't roll and cut the dough for a traditional doughnut.

There are recipes out there for gf yeast doughnuts, but they are difficult and expensive to make. And in the absence of gluten, you might get the shape right, but it will be so heavy. 

Thats the story for shaped baked goods. I used to bake a lot before my family was diagnosed with celiac disease. I made pretzels, pitas, doughnuts, braided loaves, everything...it is gluten that makes dough stretch and lighten. When you bake without gluten, you have to compromise somewhere - appearance, texture, flavor, or nutrition. Some gf bakers have been able to manipulate the dough more, but the recipe will be tasteless, empty starches with more fat. My family doesn't find that approach to be cost effective or digestible. We are more likely to compromise on appearance and texture, and try for good flavor and nutritious ingredients.

I quickly learned to just let it go, with the bread, and concentrate on foods that are naturally GF, for both economy and nutrition. We have some baked goods in our diet, such as muffins, pancakes and rotis, loaf bread, birthday cake, cookies, and pie. I can use flours made of rice, gf oats, gf buckwheat, sorghum, millet, tapioca, coconut, almond for these. 

Just good info. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sheryl said:

<snip>

To be honest, what was I to say?  NO? I won't bring a food. It was awkward to be asked and just 48 hours beforehand (she texted me Thursday for a Saturday event)!  In the future, if I don't have sufficient notice, I may handle it differently. 

LOL, I would have said no.  I have said no many times.  "Ah, sorry, I won't be able to manage that.  Looking forward to the shower, though!"   

But to be honest I would have declined the invitation altogether since I did not know the people.  With an exception - if they were new within a specific group, such as at church.

A few years ago we had a baby shower for a family who had been coming to church for just a few weeks. The new mom was the daughter of a long-time member, and the new family was committed to coming to our church regularly, but they were super new and thus surprised when we said we wanted to give them a shower (I was on the shower planning committee then). The new family was so appreciative and sweet, and they have become much-loved members of the church themselves. Lots of people came who didn't know them, but they knew (and love) the grandparents, so it was easy.

I was once asked to bake a specific thing for a wedding.  It was very specific, down to the recipe and shape, and there was just no way I was going to risk messing it up. I said no without a bit of guilt.

18 hours ago, sheryl said:

Sausage patty biscuit
Most health conscious people avoid highly processed meats like sausage and empty carbs like biscuits unless they're having a cheat day.
Monkey Bread
Basically a dessert full of empty carbs.
Bacon strips
Same category as sausage.
Banana and yogurt
Assuming this isn't high sugar yogurt this is a healthy option.
Coffee
Fine, but what about non-coffee drinkers?
Which are basically a dessert with empty calories.

I would feel sick just being in the room with all that. There were few quality options to choose from. Did this take place in The South or Midwest or did the hostess grow up in one of those regions?  Ever looked up the health statistics in those areas?  It's because this is commonly eaten food on a regular basis and overall, the culture is far less inclined to change traditions/customs.  I'm from the SW which is far more health conscious like the west coast.  I moved to a small city just outside Raleigh and it's shocking how hard it is to find healthy restaurant food.  No wonder obesity is at crisis levels here.  People cannot eat like this regularly without serious long term consequences. Are their doctors not telling them the truth?  Mine doesn't hold back if you get anywhere near overweight. Those trying to do right by their health have to opt out or have to plan a cheat day to participate in these kinds of events.

• Like 2

Marbel, I hear what you are saying.  DD and I knew about 4-5/18 people.  BUT, we definitely did not know the bride or groom (he was not present obviously).  Still, this new group is a sweet bunch and we just wanted to help out.  I guess it's as simple as that.  However, I may be more discerning next time and say no but offer in another way such as with paper products or whatnot. 

AZ to NC,  Welcome to our state!  We live in Charlotte and have for decades.  The south pours out fried this and that. But, this is not a NC exclusive and can be found anywhere.  We have many fine dining establishments. The culinary school Johnson and Wales is located here!  It just takes research and/or word of mouth.  

Here it is -

I have NO problem with what was served b/c c'mon it's a bridal shower.  Are you going to find restaurant-quality, low carb, low cholesterol, low this and that at a shower?  Maybe but for most, no!  Maybe someone likes bacon and not sausage or vice versa - hence 2 meats are fine.  Monkey bread for some but donuts for another.  And, remember mine had strawberries.  I just wish there would have been more creativity.  Bananas are high in starch and who knows about the yogurt.  Perhaps the sausage would have gone into a quiche and remove the bread b/c there was Monkey bread and donuts.  As a pp said and I've considered - petite quiche would have been good, maybe fruit cup, pinwheels (low carb tortilla but packed with sliced deli meat, chicken salad or other, and I put pimento cheese and sprouts on mine for a healthier version).  I taken these and they are ALWAYS snatched up!

Maybe bbq meatballs and cheese chunks.  Deviled eggs and so on.

It was not a lot of food for 18 people.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Here it is -

Are you going to find restaurant-quality, low carb, low cholesterol, low this and that at a shower?  Maybe but for most, no! 

You prove my points. It's strange that you classify low junk options at a social gathering with restaurants.  Yes, out west it's expected that there would be low carb, high nutrient quality food options at every social gathering involving adults out of respect for guests who are health conscious either due to conviction or to doctor's orders. In 45 years of living there it was unusual to not see healthy options at all social events in people's homes, not jut my relatives'. There would be unhealthy options too. And the research is clear, the Midwest and The South are the unhealthiest regions over all.  The number of obese people here is staggering compared to other regions of the country.  No, there are not healthy options here.  We've looked at every menu online in our city and even restaurants that serve salads choose poor nutrient quality greens like iceberg lettuce.  If I want a healthy option at a restaurant I have to drive into Raleigh.  Out west there are typically sections of the menu dedicated to healthier options or symbols next dishes indicating low carb, low cal, vegan, vegetarian.  Not everywhere, but enough places that it's common. Salads have dark leafy greens and there are light dressing options. Lean grilled meats are standard options.

The younger generations are taking responsibility for their health based on the research coming out and caring for elderly relatives who didn't have the benefit of knowing better in their younger years.  Society is better off if we create more support for those healthier decisions, and it's just the thoughtful thing to do as a hostess.

• Like 3

well, I think (?) we are essentially saying the same thing.  I don't eat junk everyday but when it's a special occasion like this I do!  Your stats are fine but those are not always very objective b/c many times there's an agenda behind them.  With that said, yes there is fried in the south.  We have excellent bbq as well.  It sounds like you are grouping everyone from region into your equation.  There are obese people EVERYWHERE - Washington state, Utah, Oregon, AZ, NM just as there are lean people in NC, SC, GA, TN, LA and so on.  BTW, I don't know if you know this but body size is NOT the only indicator of poor health.  Remember comedian David Letterman?  He's tall and skinny.  He is also a cardiac patient.

Overall, I get where you're coming from and agree but may not put such tight applications.  It's a dang bridal shower.  How many of these do people go to in a year?  I'm going to give myself grace at Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, all showers: bridal, baby.  And, I don't understand your first sentence.  I classified what?  

• Like 1

Yes, it was close to a carb fest.  It would not have been to bad IF there were other heartier options - mini petite quiche, etc.  See my post above.  BTW, many, many fruits are high in carbs.  But, peach season is with us a little longer so that would have been nice and refreshing and low on the glycemic index. 

But, that's the point, kind of.  A person may choose not to have all of the items you listed above but still eat carbs by selecting an item or two with carbs.  You may be or know of low carb diet people.  I try to watch my carbs too b/c it's just a choice but to say "most" people don't indulge in a crusted quiche, donut, petite sandwich or monkey bread I think is incorrect.  And, while yogurt may have carbs (there are low and high carb versions out there) it's not void of nutrients.  Calcium is beneficial.  And then the bunny trail stating other items that have calcium w/o carbs like spinach except even spinach has carbs AND calories from carbs. 

And, I agree most (but not all as I'm certain there are people who consume this everyday) people don't want those foods EVERYDAY BUT this was a specific event.  Honestly, it's just moderation with everything.   Nuts are healthy for people - big benefit. BUT, they are high in fat so you have to watch your portion.

More than avoiding foods and appearing like a stick in the mud (anyone), sample this and that.  A bite is not going to hurt anyone.  Portion control is key.  Too much water is not good for people.  You can overdo it.  Does that mean water is bad? NO!

I can not imagine the younger generation is not eating carbs!  That's scary for the pizza industry! LOL! 

Internet site: most berries are OK low-carb foods in moderate amounts, but fruits are candy from nature (and full of sugar).

seaside too, that would have actually met all the requirements - your idea of a small pick (I could've cut down the skewer and put on one small paper flower, 1 strawberry and 1 donut hole.  :biggrin:

That is the winner!  Thanks for sharing. I could see doing this another time.   

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kassia said:

I also have an aversion to germs.  About a year ago, I noticed our grocery store had no soap in the ladies room dispenser.  I was horrified and contacted the manager.  I couldn't believe none of the employees reported that there was no soap and that they were using the restroom without washing their hands.  

?this is just so gross and crazy that no employee cared!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 4:02 PM, sheryl said:

Right, I get that there may be a few who might not want or can not eat them but out of 18 I'm just surprised.  Thanks though. 

In my circle of friends, these wouldn't have been eaten.  A small skewer of fruit alone, or perhaps with a very small cube of a homemade baked good (strawberries and brownie squares would be nice) would be more likely to be eaten.  Processed baked goods are a firm NO for most women I know.  

On 8/13/2018 at 4:25 PM, FuzzyCatz said:

I"d be more irritated by being told to bring something so specific like that to a potluck....

Same.  I like to bring fresh, healthy foods that are simple to make but taste good.  After once making 30 cookies in the shape of the mainland United States for one dc's event, I vowed Never Again.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:50 PM, KungFuPanda said:

How can there be so many people who can’t eat three doughnut holes? That’s less doughnut than a normal-sized doughnut. 

A whole doughnut from Dunkin' ranges roughly from 280-450 calories.  Munchkins are 60-70 calories each, so three of them would be 180-210 calories.  I aim for around 500 calories per meal, plus about 200 calories for a mid-morning or evening healthy snack.  It would be hard for me to justify eating three doughnut holes, especially alongside other high-calorie foods like sausage and bacon.

On 8/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, Quill said:

...and then, a few hours later, threw the whole bread, dip, everything directly in the trash. 

This drives me nuts.  I once took home the leftovers from a catered Mexican buffet.  No one else wanted it.  I made some more rice and those leftovers fed my family for a week. 
(I do understand people who don't want buffet leftovers for germ-type reasons.)  I try to consider leftovers when I make a party menu, so that I can be generous with what I offer, while minimizing waste by making effective use of what doesn't get eaten.

...This was the brunch:
Sausage patty biscuit
Monkey Bread
Bacon strips
Banana and yogurt
Coffee

I wouldn't eat any of that, to be honest.  It would be extremely hard to stick to a reasonable number of calories, and there's way too much sugar and fat for my body to feel good after the meal.  I would prefer more veggies (there aren't ANY!), more fruit (without the yogurt or doughnuts), and perhaps a crustless mini-quiche crammed with veggies.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:34 PM, Tibbie Dunbar said:

That's what I thought! Weird! Other than the cupcakes, the menu at DDIL's  brunch was "whole foods" and varied, and served in a clean, attractive setting. I don't know what went wrong.

Sometimes people "pre-game" - eat before the party, so they aren't starving and faced with an unhealthy menu like the event the OP went to.  And sometimes the timing for a party is awkward - too late for lunch, too early for dinner, especially when you take travel time into account.  Sometimes it's more a logistical thing - traffic flow, seating, conversational timing, and so on can make it less likely that someone gets up to fix themselves a plate, let alone seconds.  And sometimes it's such a great party in terms of social interaction that everyone gets caught up in it and doesn't stop to eat!!! 

On 8/13/2018 at 9:00 PM, Kassia said:

I also have an aversion to germs.  About a year ago, I noticed our grocery store had no soap in the ladies room dispenser.  I was horrified and contacted the manager.  I couldn't believe none of the employees reported that there was no soap and that they were using the restroom without washing their hands.  

My family once took it up on ourselves to provide bottles of hand soap to the staff bathroom for an entire scout camp, for the entire summer, because no one else seemed to feel it was necessary.  Our scout, pre-armed with one more bottle than there were sinks, and having placed a full bottle at each sink at the start of the summer, would surreptitiously bring a full bottle to swap out for an almost-empty one each time they used the facilities, taking the empty one back to their tent to be refilled. 

11 hours ago, sheryl said:

...Are you going to find restaurant-quality, low carb, low cholesterol, low this and that at a shower?  Maybe but for most, no! 

...It was not a lot of food for 18 people.  

Healthy food doesn't have to be restaurant-quality.  Simple fresh foods, attractively presented, can often be much easier to make than the doughnut skewers (which I am sure were beautiful!!!).  Cut fruit - whatever's in season - in a pretty bowl.  Mini spinach-feta and/or broccoli-ham-cheddar fritattas, made in a mini-muffin pan and piled on a pretty plate.  .Quarter-slices of homemade whole grain bread (in a bread machine) with natural peanut butter and a quality jam, or perhaps a spread of cream cheese with nuts and dates.  A green salad with strawberries and pecans and low-salt turkey, or one with apples and craisins and chicken and goat cheese.    

While it wasn't a lot of food volume-wise, it was certainly a lot in terms of fat, sugar, and calories.  (OP, I know the menu wasn't your responsibility, and I am impressed that you make what they asked you to make, and made it super-pretty with the hearts too!)

10 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

..... Society is better off if we create more support for those healthier decisions, and it's just the thoughtful thing to do as a hostess.

This.  I try to serve foods my guests will feel good about eating, and that will be tasty because they are made from fresh, quality food, rather than added fats and sugars.

...And, I agree most (but not all as I'm certain there are people who consume this everyday) people don't want those foods EVERYDAY BUT this was a specific event.  ...

People in my social circles generally try to eat healthy foods even at special events.  When you eat lower fat, lower sugar foods on a regular basis, your taste buds adjust and you don't enjoy higher-fat foods or those higher in sugar.  They just don't taste good any more.

seaside too, that would have actually met all the requirements - your idea of a small pick (I could've cut down the skewer and put on one small paper flower, 1 strawberry and 1 donut hole.  :biggrin:

That is the winner!  Thanks for sharing. I could see doing this another time.   

Yes, I think small things, so that the guest can have little tastes of a lot of different things, are often a good way to go when entertaining, especially at a buffet or as appetizers.

• Like 1

I think it's really sweet that you went and made the donut skewers, especially with the cut-out paper hearts.  (And they sound really darling!)  But, I'm not surprised that there was a lot left over given all the sweets and carbs being served (as others have said).  Of course that's on the host, not you.  The circles I'm in would want a brunch with maybe a healthy vegetarian quiche dish, asparagus, and fruit skewers.  I was at a bridal shower recently though and they served:  sweet rolls, coffee cake, donuts, and then a regular sheet cake (with frosting, etc.).  And it was called a brunch.  Even though I knew a lot of people contributed to it, there was no way I was going to eat a little bit of everything just to be nice.  I just can't handle so much food like that anymore.  I had a small slice of coffee cake and that was it.

I still enjoy going to events like that and talking with people and meeting new people, but I hope they're not disappointed if I don't eat a lot!

• Like 1

There is no fault on you for making what was asked for, you went above and beyond!

Where I live people would more likely turn their nose at healthy options and I have totally had the same experience with family get-togethers as PPs, they expect the usual dishes and nothing else and you better not change the recipe. I gave up, I might as well make what I want to eat. 

And I'll also say considering obestity levels and chronic disease *across* the country most people aren't eating healthy, sometimes people like to pretend they do, especially in public (much more so for women) but most people don't eat healthy on a day to day basis. 

I've grown to hate potlucks. Just abhor them. I like the idea of everyone sharing but find it to be a HUMONGOUS stress trying to think of something we can eat, others will like, isn't too hard or expensive to make. I've had to do potlucks every other week this summer and I've got 1 more left, hallelujah! 

• Like 2

Just to offer perspective, my 18 month old can easily eat three donut holes in a sitting. And has. Judge away. She's the fourth kid, and donut holes are the one thing that will guarantee she stops crying when we have a longer car trip to make. Sugar is bad, but mom crashing the car because the baby has been crying for an hour and she just can't handle it anymore is worse, lol. 

So no, three donut holes is not "so much food" that a normal human can't possibly consume them, lol. 

• Like 8

On 8/13/2018 at 12:48 PM, sheryl said:

DD and I were invited to a bridal shower brunch.  This is a new crowd of people.  We already knew some but others are new.  We did NOT know the bride-to-be but the hostess of the bridal shower knows everyone in the group and us as well.  She decided to ask us to probably not feel left out and that was nice of her.  I don't know if the girl felt awkward we were there b/c dd and I don't know this girl. 

No comments about the donuts. But, why did you go?  I thought bridal showers were for the bride maids, closest friends and family of the bride and groom. I can understand weddings  I've been to many weddings that I didn't actually know the bride or groom, but only a parent.     But, I cannot imagine going to a shower for a couple that I am not really close and personal.  Guess, if you knew them, you would not have brought donuts. 

Had I been to that party, I would have cleaned out your donut skewers, but I would have also needed to eat a pound or two of bacon or I'd have felt sick from these sugar rush.  

I eat low carb in general, but I indulge at social gatherings.  In fact, I eat low carb because my ability to eat "everything in moderation" is so poor.  So I don't ever fix it at home, but when it's served, I tend to go crazy.  ?  I have great admiration for people who can have just one sweet and then stop.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, this has been quite the conversation.  I appreciate everyone's interest and tips, etc.   

To the contrary regarding this event as an excuse to indulge, that is simple inaccurate.  To consume, yes.  Indulge, no!  There's a difference.  And, to that point, am I understanding most of you correctly when you say you pass on baked goods.  Is that "out" at an event, restaurant?  Do you consume baked goods at home?  Maybe I'm not understanding something here but I find it hard to believe that most of you do not enjoy once in a while: fresh baked cookie, slice of pie or cake, serving of cobbler or whatever strikes your fancy.  Do you go the entire year?  To me anything home-made is better.  But, it can still be high calorie, fat, carb, etc. It's just not as processed.  Under the circumstances, because people don't have daily events like this to go to, a small slice of monkey bread or a sausage biscuit is not going to kill anyone.  Everyday consumption would hinder one's health, but not once in blue moon.  

I know that I feel better when I watch my carb intake.  But, that will not preclude me from once in a while enjoying something from a shower.  Many times dd and/or dh will get a slice of cake and I'll take just a literal bite or two for the same reasons you mention.  Also, if I have a scheduled event like this then I will "adjust" my caloric/etc intake earlier that day or day before.  Who doesn't want to enjoy a few treats?  Again, it's not eating everything there but picking and choosing and it's not gorging.  At such events I don't choose a bite of everything but "pick and choose".  I can not imagine a skewer or a serving of monkey bread or a sausage biscuit is going to be the culprit to doom someone.  It just won't happen. This shower is not an everyday event.  The next get together, holiday, shower will offer a selection of foods and I'll be there with the rest enjoying them.  

But, I get where y'all are coming from.  The hostess did mean well.  Perhaps there should have been a sign-up sheet or text/email sent out to a "group" so we could've seen who was bringing what. That's what I'm used to.  

To answer a pp - of all things we forgot to take the gift we bought the bride-to-be.  We were packing up those skewers, etc.  and overlooked the gift card/card on the counter!   When we see the bride-to-be we'll give it to her.  

The take away here is to make another food choice OR to shorten the skewer as a pp said and put 1 fruit and 1 donut on.  Now that's food for thought! ?

To be honest, I've not been to an event where there hasn't been more food groups represented.  There is still a fair amount of carbs but usually there are other food groups as well!  

• Like 1

It would be HIGHLY inappropriate to suggest/infer that Katie dropped the ball here.  Most of you need to put this in perspective.  If YOU were driving on were in a rainstorm where you had to focus, you can bet I would've given my dd donut holes.  If I felt frazzled,  I would have given her a slice of pizza or any "bad" food to quiet her down to concentrate on our safe arrival.  Let's close this discussion of finding fault with our food choices.  This was a slight attack and going in the wrong direction.  Plus, all of this is getting really old.  Katie, you're a good Mom. Keep doing what you're doing! ?

Please re-read the thread.  It's time consuming repeating.  To the pp - I went b/c new group, dd and I were asked. No, we don't know the bride and groom, personally.  I would have made donut skewers regardless b/c I was asked!  (However, I might make another suggestion next time).

Monica, right!  Balance.  That is me.  If I eat a sweet/carb I definitely like to break that taste with something else. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

Is it routine in your family not to offer toddlers a protein based snack?

not sure if this was directed at me and my donut hole eating toddler, but of course she eats protein! I specifically said the donut holes were used to bargain/bribe for not having a screaming fit in the car while driving longer distances. I try to time car rides with her needing to sleep, but sometimes that doesn't pan out, and she can and WILL scream bloody murder in the car. All my kids have, until about 2 years old. So yeah, sometimes I'll swing through Dunkin Donuts and pick up a box of donut holes for the kids to share in the car, as that is the toddler's favorite food on earth and she will happily eat them, looking out the window, and forget how much she hates the car, and then when she's stuffed will fall asleep. A hard boiled egg or cheese stick is not going to have the same effect. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Well, this has been quite the conversation.  I appreciate everyone's interest and tips, etc.   

To the contrary regarding this event as an excuse to indulge, that is simple inaccurate.  To consume, yes.  Indulge, no!  There's a difference.  And, to that point, am I understanding most of you correctly when you say you pass on baked goods.  Is that "out" at an event, restaurant?  Do you consume baked goods at home?  Maybe I'm not understanding something here but I find it hard to believe that most of you do not enjoy once in a while: fresh baked cookie, slice of pie or cake, serving of cobbler or whatever strikes your fancy.  Do you go the entire year?  To me anything home-made is better.  But, it can still be high calorie, fat, carb, etc. It's just not as processed.  Under the circumstances, because people don't have daily events like this to go to, a small slice of monkey bread or a sausage biscuit is not going to kill anyone.  Everyday consumption would hinder one's health, but not once in blue moon.  

<snip> 

Yeah, you sure started something here, didn't you?  :-)  I'm teasing, in case you are unsure.

Speaking for myself and my own observations of people: yes, people do indulge at times. I do. I do know the things that I really have to avoid because of blood sugar issues. Donuts is one of the things.  Bagels are another - people think of bagels as fairly healthy, but they are pretty high on the glycemic index, IIRC. Maybe it's because bagels now are so huge. When I serve them at an event, I cut them into fourths (so 8 pieces total when you take them apart iykwim) and people will generally take one or two of those pieces. 

There are always women, like I said above, who make a big production out of deciding if they want to be "bad" by eating certain foods. But most people will take a sweet thing if offered. 

I'll also adjust my eating if I know I have an event. We don't eat out much these days, but recently we went to a "nicer" restaurant. I ate extra carefully and lightly during the day in anticipation. Then I saw creme brulee on the dessert menu and went with a lower carb dinner so my husband and I could split that. Though honestly if I hadn't planned ahead for higher carbs/sweets, I probably would have ordered it anyway.  It was such a treat. 

At your shower I probably would have had some yogurt, maybe a piece of bacon - two if there was plenty - and maybe a piece of  monkey bread. When I serve yogurt I look for the least sugar available, though if I get vanilla of course that has more sugar than plain. Anyway, I see yogurt as a healthy choice in general.  

OP, I hope you don't see this conversation as being critical of you. I agree with others who think you were sweet to do as requested by the host.  Certainly nicer than me, who would have just said no to the whole thing.  :-) :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheryl said:

It would be HIGHLY inappropriate to suggest/infer that Katie dropped the ball here.  Most of you need to put this in perspective.  If YOU were driving on were in a rainstorm where you had to focus, you can bet I would've given my dd donut holes.  If I felt frazzled,  I would have given her a slice of pizza or any "bad" food to quiet her down to concentrate on our safe arrival.  Let's close this discussion of finding fault with our food choices.  This was a slight attack and going in the wrong direction.  Plus, all of this is getting really old.  Katie, you're a good Mom. Keep doing what you're doing! ?

Aw, thanks. No worries, I have zero guilt over this. I've got three older kids that are very healthy and of normal weight, except for the one that is actually underweight. A few donut holes here and there won't ruin a kid ?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, justasque said:

In my circle of friends, these wouldn't have been eaten.  A small skewer of fruit alone, or perhaps with a very small cube of a homemade baked good (strawberries and brownie squares would be nice) would be more likely to be eaten.  Processed baked goods are a firm NO for most women I know.  

Same.  I like to bring fresh, healthy foods that are simple to make but taste good.  After once making 30 cookies in the shape of the mainland United States for one dc's event, I vowed Never Again.

A whole doughnut from Dunkin' ranges roughly from 280-450 calories.  Munchkins are 60-70 calories each, so three of them would be 180-210 calories.  I aim for around 500 calories per meal, plus about 200 calories for a mid-morning or evening healthy snack.  It would be hard for me to justify eating three doughnut holes, especially alongside other high-calorie foods like sausage and bacon.

This drives me nuts.  I once took home the leftovers from a catered Mexican buffet.  No one else wanted it.  I made some more rice and those leftovers fed my family for a week. 
(I do understand people who don't want buffet leftovers for germ-type reasons.)  I try to consider leftovers when I make a party menu, so that I can be generous with what I offer, while minimizing waste by making effective use of what doesn't get eaten.

I wouldn't eat any of that, to be honest.  It would be extremely hard to stick to a reasonable number of calories, and there's way too much sugar and fat for my body to feel good after the meal.  I would prefer more veggies (there aren't ANY!), more fruit (without the yogurt or doughnuts), and perhaps a crustless mini-quiche crammed with veggies.

Sometimes people "pre-game" - eat before the party, so they aren't starving and faced with an unhealthy menu like the event the OP went to.  And sometimes the timing for a party is awkward - too late for lunch, too early for dinner, especially when you take travel time into account.  Sometimes it's more a logistical thing - traffic flow, seating, conversational timing, and so on can make it less likely that someone gets up to fix themselves a plate, let alone seconds.  And sometimes it's such a great party in terms of social interaction that everyone gets caught up in it and doesn't stop to eat!!! 

My family once took it up on ourselves to provide bottles of hand soap to the staff bathroom for an entire scout camp, for the entire summer, because no one else seemed to feel it was necessary.  Our scout, pre-armed with one more bottle than there were sinks, and having placed a full bottle at each sink at the start of the summer, would surreptitiously bring a full bottle to swap out for an almost-empty one each time they used the facilities, taking the empty one back to their tent to be refilled. 

Healthy food doesn't have to be restaurant-quality.  Simple fresh foods, attractively presented, can often be much easier to make than the doughnut skewers (which I am sure were beautiful!!!).  Cut fruit - whatever's in season - in a pretty bowl.  Mini spinach-feta and/or broccoli-ham-cheddar fritattas, made in a mini-muffin pan and piled on a pretty plate.  .Quarter-slices of homemade whole grain bread (in a bread machine) with natural peanut butter and a quality jam, or perhaps a spread of cream cheese with nuts and dates.  A green salad with strawberries and pecans and low-salt turkey, or one with apples and craisins and chicken and goat cheese.    

While it wasn't a lot of food volume-wise, it was certainly a lot in terms of fat, sugar, and calories.  (OP, I know the menu wasn't your responsibility, and I am impressed that you make what they asked you to make, and made it super-pretty with the hearts too!)

This.  I try to serve foods my guests will feel good about eating, and that will be tasty because they are made from fresh, quality food, rather than added fats and sugars.

People in my social circles generally try to eat healthy foods even at special events.  When you eat lower fat, lower sugar foods on a regular basis, your taste buds adjust and you don't enjoy higher-fat foods or those higher in sugar.  They just don't taste good any more.

I get everything you’re saying and my friends are also careful about what and how they eat, but this hasn’t always been true. This is definitely a middle-aged mom/older woman trend to be so selective that you can eat nothing at an event like this. One unhealthy meal never seemed that significant to anyone when we were in our twenties. Starbucks is always busy, so people are still indulging in sugary drinks and carb-laden snacks. 

I’ve seen more friends go down to gluten free or keto diets than I care to count, but these people are all in their forties. Granted, I spent my youth with a much more fit than average population so nobody needed to fear that a single doughnut could effect their overall fitness level or well being and those with significant health issues were weeded out. Even people who were careful weren’t SO careful that one spread like this would derail them to the extent that they’d eat nothing. You’d think a bridal shower would be a mixed group and someone would eat or take home some snacks. My daughter is in college and If I sent those shower leftovers with her she could have unloaded them in minutes. 

7 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

It's been my experience that if you put a bunch of women in a room with dessert, they won't eat it, especially if they don't know each other well (like bff's).  They may nibble, but they won't indulge.

Come to think of it, I do most of my indulging with really close friends. It’s like being a social drinker but with carbs. I enjoy the idea of sweets, but in reality I gravitate towards savory flavors. I don’t want sweets when I’m actually hungry and then I’m not to interested in them when I’m full. My window to enjoy dessert is pretty small naturally. I don’t think I’m observant enough to notice what strangers are eating, so I didn’t know people would change their habits like that. ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Had I been to that party, I would have cleaned out your donut skewers, but I would have also needed to eat a pound or two of bacon or I'd have felt sick from these sugar rush.  

I eat low carb in general, but I indulge at social gatherings.  In fact, I eat low carb because my ability to eat "everything in moderation" is so poor.  So I don't ever fix it at home, but when it's served, I tend to go crazy.  ?  I have great admiration for people who can have just one sweet and then stop.  

Stopping at one sweet is easy for me. Stopping at one piece of bacon is too much to ask. ???????????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I think it's common for women to also order differently in social settings. Like, a salad is very common. I'm not talking about women who order salads as their norm, but rather feeling obligated to order a salad because you're dining with a bunch of women. I've literally had a friend talk about eating out and what was the norm to order while eating out with other women. I hope not all women feel this way, but I guess I can see scenarios in which it'd be really awkward to eat something like, messy ribs with women you barely know lol. 

I agree with you.  I see that all the time.  What I see, though, is that it's not really a matter of messy food.  In my experience it's more a virtue thing.  Salads are good; ribs are bad; dessert is bad and consuming those bad things make the women bad.  It drives me crazy.  Makes me want to order a reuben or cheesesteak, though I usually just go for a BLT because I love the things and don't regularly have the ingredients available at home.  (Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes. I've tried with the grape or cherry tomatoes I usually have on hand, but they just slide out.)  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

I know that I feel better when I watch my carb intake.  But, that will not preclude me from once in a while enjoying something from a shower.  Many times dd and/or dh will get a slice of cake and I'll take just a literal bite or two for the same reasons you mention.  Also, if I have a scheduled event like this then I will "adjust" my caloric/etc intake earlier that day or day before.  Who doesn't want to enjoy a few treats?  Again, it's not eating everything there but picking and choosing and it's not gorging.  At such events I don't choose a bite of everything but "pick and choose".  I can not imagine a skewer or a serving of monkey bread or a sausage biscuit is going to be the culprit to doom someone.  It just won't happen. This shower is not an everyday event.  The next get together, holiday, shower will offer a selection of foods and I'll be there with the rest enjoying them.  

But, I get where y'all are coming from.  The hostess did mean well.  Perhaps there should have been a sign-up sheet or text/email sent out to a "group" so we could've seen who was bringing what. That's what I'm used to.  

To answer a pp - of all things we forgot to take the gift we bought the bride-to-be.  We were packing up those skewers, etc.  and overlooked the gift card/card on the counter!   When we see the bride-to-be we'll give it to her.  

The take away here is to make another food choice OR to shorten the skewer as a pp said and put 1 fruit and 1 donut on.  Now that's food for thought! ?

To be honest, I've not been to an event where there hasn't been more food groups represented.  There is still a fair amount of carbs but usually there are other food groups as well!  

To answer your question - nope, I never eat baked goods. I gave up sugar and completely lost my taste for that stuff. 

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

Of course a hard boiled egg or cheese stick won't have the same effect. Protein based snacks aren't solo protein, there is a healthy carb added to provide some energy until the protein digests.  

I'm asking because I'm wondering why the low nutritional choice.  The intent seems to be that 'when she's stuffed (she) will fall asleep'.  Even 25 years ago the preschools here were supply nutritional ed so that parents wouldn't go to donuts as the midsession snack. Why not go with a nutritious choice?

Please don't say normal weight matters. It doesn't, we all know skinny fat people who have little muscle and are starving their bones.

Seriously? You cannot imagine why a donut or other "treat" might be more likely to entertain and keep a baby from crying than a "nutritious snack"? The point it is a well loved, not often had, fun treat that has a happiness value high enough to make up for the hatred of the car. Cheese and crackers or any every day food she normally gets will not have the same effect. 

I guess you've never known someone to have a piece of chocolate after a hard day, rather than broccoli, lol. There is a reason the stereotype is that after a breakup the woman eats a pint of ice-cream, not a turkey sandwich. 

And rest assured, a once a month indulgence in donuts has not created unhealthy, starved for nutrition children, lol. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Seriously? You cannot imagine why a donut or other "treat" might be more likely to entertain and keep a baby from crying than a "nutritious snack"? The point it is a well loved, not often had, fun treat that has a happiness value high enough to make up for the hatred of the car. Cheese and crackers or any every day food she normally gets will not have the same effect. 

I guess you've never known someone to have a piece of chocolate after a hard day, rather than broccoli, lol. There is a reason the stereotype is that after a breakup the woman eats a pint of ice-cream, not a turkey sandwich. 

And rest assured, a once a month indulgence in donuts has not created unhealthy, starved for nutrition children, lol. 

For my kids, road trips meant Pringles and camping meant Pop Tarts.  They were special and magical in a way that carrot sticks and cheese cubes were not.  I'm as shocked as you there there is an entire population of women who don't understand this.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I think it's common for women to also order differently in social settings. Like, a salad is very common. I'm not talking about women who order salads as their norm, but rather feeling obligated to order a salad because you're dining with a bunch of women. I've literally had a friend talk about eating out and what was the norm to order while eating out with other women. I hope not all women feel this way, but I guess I can see scenarios in which it'd be really awkward to eat something like, messy ribs with women you barely know lol. 

This happened to me, also wedding-related.  I went out with my best friend and the rest of the bridal party many years ago.  I didn't really pay any attention to what anyone had ordered until the waiter brought salad after salad after salad... and my burger and fries.  LOL

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I do this for airplane flights.  Chips, lollipops, lots of special treats.  I think previous posters may have gotten the idea that your kid gets donut holes every single day or something.  LOL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Come to think of it, I do most of my indulging with really close friends. It’s like being a social drinker but with carbs. I enjoy the idea of sweets, but in reality I gravitate towards savory flavors. I don’t want sweets when I’m actually hungry and then I’m not to interested in them when I’m full. My window to enjoy dessert is pretty small naturally. I don’t think I’m observant enough to notice what strangers are eating, so I didn’t know people would change their habits like that. ?

We're twins!!!  ?

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

For my kids, road trips meant Pringles and camping meant Pop Tarts.  They were special and magical in a way that carrot sticks and cheese cubes were not.  I'm as shocked as you there there is an entire population of women who don't understand this.

Yes, and when we used to camp, bring on the s'mores!  

Marbel, that's sweet.  No, I'm just frustrated that readers don't read what's written but twist/infer and my attitude turned sour over it.  I regret that if I've come across that way. 

With that said, I would venture to guess most people in the course of a year have carbs (processed, natural). 

Selkie,  good for  you.  I'm sure  there are many who don't eat baked goods but I'd venture to say more people do.  If my dd bakes whatever, you can bet I'm going to take a bite of it b/c she made it and that is a source of encouragement, along with the spoken word.   I'll make sure not to offer you any of my homemade pumpkin pie.  LOL!  It's silly to focus on the crust and scant bit of sugar in the recipe when you might want to consider focusing on the nutrient-packed pumpkin.  These are  "pie" pumpkins I bake, core and smooth out in my food processer for a great pumpkin pie consistency. 

Please remember!!! It's not eating toast, pancakes, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, sweets, fruits, etc, etc. at every meal every day!  

FWIW, "most" of my meals are homemade from scratch.  My menu selections are pretty healthy.  That's my opinion.  You might say no and someone else who has a worse diet might look at us and think wow! they eat well.  It can be subjective even following the food groups list.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sheryl said:

And, to that point, am I understanding most of you correctly when you say you pass on baked goods.  Is that "out" at an event, restaurant?  Do you consume baked goods at home?  Maybe I'm not understanding something here but I find it hard to believe that most of you do not enjoy once in a while: fresh baked cookie, slice of pie or cake, serving of cobbler or whatever strikes your fancy.  Do you go the entire year?  To me anything home-made is better.  But, it can still be high calorie, fat, carb, etc. It's just not as processed.  Under the circumstances, because people don't have daily events like this to go to, a small slice of monkey bread or a sausage biscuit is not going to kill anyone.  Everyday consumption would hinder one's health, but not once in blue moon.  

I only eat good baked goods ? . For me,  industrially produced supermarket cake, packaged donuts, cookies, biscuits etc are not worth it. They simply don't taste good to me; they are usually way too sweet.

I love to eat home baked goods that do not contain artificial colors, flavors, stabilizers, dough conditioners, flavor enhancers, artificial sweeteners etc. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Marbel, that's sweet.  No, I'm just frustrated that readers don't read what's written but twist/infer and my attitude turned sour over it.  I regret that if I've come across that way. 

With that said, I would venture to guess most people in the course of a year have carbs (processed, natural). 

Selkie,  good for  you.  I'm sure  there are many who don't eat baked goods but I'd venture to say more people do.  If my dd bakes whatever, you can bet I'm going to take a bite of it b/c she made it and that is a source of encouragement, along with the spoken word.   I'll make sure not to offer you any of my homemade pumpkin pie.  LOL!  It's silly to focus on the crust and scant bit of sugar in the recipe when you might want to consider focusing on the nutrient-packed pumpkin.  These are  "pie" pumpkins I bake, core and smooth out in my food processer for a great pumpkin pie consistency. 

Please remember!!! It's not eating toast, pancakes, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, sweets, fruits, etc, etc. at every meal every day!  

FWIW, "most" of my meals are homemade from scratch.  My menu selections are pretty healthy.  That's my opinion.  You might say no and someone else who has a worse diet might look at us and think wow! they eat well.  It can be subjective even following the food groups list.

I hope you don't think I was criticizing you or anyone else, because I wasn't. I eat what makes me feel the healthiest (plants, no sugar, no junk). What other people eat is their own business, in my opinion. I was just answering your question because you seemed so surprised that some people don't eat baked goods. ?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Selkie said:

I can't get over how weird it is that you don't even know the bride but were asked to bring food - and food that was pretty complicated and time-consuming to make! That was very gracious of you to make such an effort.

I don't eat donuts, but would happily eat the strawberries.?(I wouldn't have eaten the other food, either, except for a banana and some coffee.)

I know right.  I probably would have declined the invitation.  

Edited to add I do understand that you went to be part of a new group who graciously invited you. And you were gracious to make such a cool and complicated dish. (which btw, I had never heard of until this thread)

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

I hope you don't think I was criticizing you or anyone else, because I wasn't. I eat what makes me feel the healthiest (plants, no sugar, no junk). What other people eat is their own business, in my opinion. I was just answering your question because you seemed so surprised that some people don't eat baked goods. ?

No offense taken.  Just frustrated that (it seems) folks don't read what I've been writing.  It's like reading part way and assuming the rest.  Or, not understanding what is written in text (misunderstandings or assumptions) That's where it's frustrating.  Anyway, I TRULY get some people don't eat a lot of junk.  I do NOT eat a lot of junk.  BUT, I DO eat it.  Just not a lot!  I'm sure there are many people who don't eat sweets but I would venture to guess more people do.  It doesn't matter one way or the other except too much is not healthy but it's that person's choice to do so.  I don't have a lot of junk around the house even b/c I would get in to it.  Well, to be honest, I still do, but am working on that! ?   And, it seems I don't care for certain foods like I used to such as pizza.  I don't like pizza much anymore unless it's mine which is homemade (less fat/grease).  I don't like the grease.  

Overall I'm glad I posted this.  I'm still confused why most think it was unusual for the hostess to invite me and dd.  I don't think the bride/groom has many friends.   I was a little stressed buying a gift b/c we don't know them.  Oh well...…  But, we don't need to rehash that.  DD and I did feel a little awkward but overall it was nice.  

14 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I'm still confused why most think it was unusual for the hostess to invite me and dd.  I don't think the bride/groom has many friends.   I was a little stressed buying a gift b/c we don't know them.  Oh well...…  But, we don't need to rehash that.  DD and I did feel a little awkward but overall it was nice.  

Glad you had a good time. I find it unusual because it's not just a normal party (that would have made perfect sense to be), but rather the very purpose of a bridal shower is to solicit gifts for the bride. So "hey come and make a very specific food and bring a gift for these random strangers" strikes me as an odd invitation.

• Like 3