Menu

80s music

fairfarmhand

Hey! We had the worst fashions (at least I did) and the worst hairstyles (at least I did), but we had the BEST MUSIC!!!!

When the kids used my iTunes account and would sync their iPods, they would always include "my" music. He, he, he. 

Edited by Angie in VA
correction
  • Like 3

Hilarious! What a walk down memory lane.

I have never seen this particular video but I had a whole tape (yeah, people - a tape) with Billy Joel's songs. Remember Piano Man? She is Always a Woman, Good Night Saigon ("...we met as soulmates on Perris Island and left as inmates of an asylum...and we were so gung ho to lay down our lives...we came in like tameless forces and left in boxes as numbered corpses...remember Charlie? Remember Baker? They lost their childhood on every acre...we dug in deep and shot on sight and prayed to Jesus Christ with all our might") and Only the Good Die Young???

And does anyone here remember "Bread?" 

"I found a diary..." "Everything I own."

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I was born in ‘78.  My mom did not want me watching mtv, but but my teen cousins babysat me (and lived with us some), and well, let’s just say that the second my mom went off to work, MTV came on and stayed on all day until 5pm except for when we watched movies.  She was not happy that I could recite Sixteen Candles and others at such a young age.  But that’s all we did.  We’d watch MTV or we’d watch movies and as soon as the movie was over, we watched it again if there were cute boys in it.   I distinctly remember turning to one of my cousins, probably around 7 years old,  and asking, “what does it mean to bag a babe?”  Yes, they laughed hysterically.  

See, this was the beginning of my career years, so I wasn't home anyway.  And I never had cable.

2 hours ago, Angie in VA said:

Hey! We had the worst fashions (at least I did) and the worst hairstyles (at least I did), but we had the BEST MUSIC!!!!

When the kids used my iTunes account and would sync their iPods, they would always include "my" music. He, he, he. 

My almost 21yo loves 80s music.

• Like 1

It's a lot of fun that my kids and their cousins like music that I actually know!  There are some great 80s cover bands that play in our area and these concerts are such a great mix of ages.

I know and like 80s pop because it was everywhere but my favorite 80s music was heavy metal. *bangs head*

Edited by happi duck

I loved the days of MTV after school. I remember recording Billy Jean and Thriller so I could choreograph our drill team routines to them with some of the same steps. I even ordered us glow-in-the-dark gloves (one each, lol) Those were the days... 

I bought my big kids all of the John Hughes '80s teen films. They don't quite love them the same way I did, lol, but they're fascinated. 

• Like 1

I'll have you all know that the 80s were my absolute hair heyday.  My hair just does all the things of the 80s without anything but a good cut and the freedom to airdry.  Shag is my hair's style of choice, and it pretends to have a body wave when it's cut that way.  It's been downhill ever since.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I'll have you all know that the 80s were my absolute hair heyday.  My hair just does all the things of the 80s without anything but a good cut and the freedom to airdry.  Shag is my hair's style of choice, and it pretends to have a body wave when it's cut that way.  It's been downhill ever since.  

My hair is like this too except I didn't know it in the 80's.  Those were my days of bad home perms (usually not my idea).  I mourn how popular I could have been with my perfectly feathered hair.  ?

My oldest loves 80's music and movies.  She even has the entire run of 21 Jump Street on DVD.

• Like 1

I’ve spent so much time in Lowe’s over the past month during this basement remodel that I’ve realized they have an “80’s One Hit Wonder” station playing.  Boy Meets Girl’s “Waiting for a Star to Fall” was my favorite song as a kid, and they played it the other day.  I think I embarrassed my kids by getting in touch with my inner 8yo girl by singing along down the aisles.

The 80’s was peak pop music.

10 hours ago, Sugarfoot said:

I loved the days of MTV. 

My roommates and I used to plan our evenings around the "world premiere" of the latest video on MTV.

38 minutes ago, Angie in VA said:

Best music video ever! No sex, no stupid "plot", just fun. Love the intro w/ the marker too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY2WIFGQttE

Rod the Bod!

• Like 2

There are lots of great dance tunes in 80's music, great harmonies.  When it goes wrong I think it's because it was too electronic, but compared to the moment when autotune seems to have taken over, even that wasn't too bad.

I didn't have MTV, nor did many of my friends, we used to watch "Video Hits" which was on at around supper time.

I'm an '80s gal all the way. I was a teen in the '80s & that is totally my music. I camped out overnight more than once to get Duran Duran concert tickets.

Earlier this summer, ds had to go get his senior yearbook photos taken. We were sitting in a back waiting area & the place had a tv screen playing '80s music videos. First one up was Tears for Fears. I turned to ds & said I had seen them in concert. Next up... Thompson Twins... who I had also seen perform live. ? It was like a highlight reel of all the great concerts I attended in my teen years.

Eventually we got Rick Astley. I didn't know who he was (I did recognize the song) but ds knew & had to explain rickrolling to me. ?

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

DH has done his part by introducing 80s heavy metal to the kids. And some alternative rock. I include 80s lyric references in spelling lessons. ("Heart. Shot through the heart and you're to blame. Darling, you give love a bad name. Heart.") DD#1 can identify more of her father's type of songs in the first few seconds than I can through most of the first minute. (To DH's chagrin, Def Leppard & Van Halen are interchangeable in my head.)

Listening to songs by Duran Duran and Men At Work will always remind me of my oldest brother who died last year. 

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

(To DH's chagrin, Def Leppard & Van Halen are interchangeable in my head.)

It is a running joke in our house that if you ask DH who sings whatever hard rock song is playing, he’ll say it’s Def Leppard.  He was not raised on a steady diet of hair bands like I was and it all sounds the same to him.