Menu

July 8-14 Photo Prompts

fairfarmhand

I told my boys that today's prompt was dust.  One of my boys said, "Just get a picture of underneath my chair!  There's lots of dust there!"  They have recliners in their playroom and there is a lot of dust.  Who knew -- LOL!!!

Then I went to inspect his room and found a lot of dust on his Legos.  Guess what he is doing today -- LOL?!?!?!?

7-8-18 093.JPG

7-8-18 104a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I feel like I cheated since a screen shot is not a "real" photo. So here are my actual photos for Dust.

The first one: When you have pets all of your dust bunnies contain pet hair. It doesn't matter if you swept/vacuumed less than 24 hours ago. They'll magically reappear. Bonus if you have light colored floors and dark haired pets or vice versa.

The second: These have become little more than dust collectors. I can't even remember the last time someone in this house watched a DVD.

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dust on the nose of a very happy puppy (note ears back with contentment) who has been digging in the garden and is now comfy on my lap. 

TacJdyd.jpg

That face is just too cute! I love our kitties but sometimes I miss having a dog.

• Like 3

(Whoops—-posted this on the wrong thread...will post here as  well.)

Dust.  These are from my blog from years ago.  The first is taken at someone else's house of her old cameras.  Old cameras always should be dusty.  It's a rule.

The chandelier is in my own house. I don't really think about dust on chandeliers until we have tall visitors stop by for the evening.

cameras-small.jpg

Here's the blog post about the dusty cameras, if you're interested:  https://dustylizard.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/death-by-potato-masher-dust-is-healthy-and-dogs-toot/

chandelier.jpg

Here's the blog for the dusty chandelier:   https://dustylizard.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/tall-guests-are-good-for-bumping-dust-off-chandeliers/

• Like 9

This is my answer to dust, even though the dust situation in this cabinet is not too bad. These are my shotglasses from places I have been. It’s so incongruent, thouh, because I’m not a big drinker and haven’t had a shot of something in probably twenty years. But I chose shotglasses to be my “thing” because they are small, inexpensive and ubiquitous. There has literally never been a point when I wanted a souveneir from some place but there was no option to buy a shotglass. 

Before we have a party, I usually dust this cabinet so it will look pretty with the lights on...and because then I can forget about the cabinet until the next party. 

49009298-36F4-4160-A318-0FED53EE34BF.jpeg

• Like 8

Ok I was excited to share this picture so even though it’s just bedtime here it’s tomorrow somewhere so I’ll post.  Today we saw a gorgeous double rainbow.  One of them showed the entire half circle and was very bright.  Unfortunately we were driving on the highway so I didn’t get the full picture. 

1C285EB3-F2D5-465E-AA92-6DD8CCE51496.jpeg

14A4E745-BF61-4475-B97C-5193A831DE9E.jpeg

• Like 14

I have a couple more to share, the first from our trip across South Dakota last year. The second is a couple weeks after Hurricane Harvey when we went down to help family. Two of my cousins just within the last month we’re finally able to get back in their homes!

96F70ED5-3A87-450F-8DD5-0DD7C9E36D9C.jpeg

251D63F1-03BD-4804-97CF-E4A4E3DA686D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Garga said:

This is a picture of my boys fighting an AT-AT in the backyard on a snowy day.

97F82663-4961-4171-98E9-6C66D387DF97.jpeg

Oh no, you edited before I could reply but I so get what you were saying about photos of sunsets and flowers. I'm an amateur but I love taking nature photos. I can't tell you how many photos of flowers I have - bees on flowers, butterflies on flowers, water droplets on flowers, close up of flowers lol! It's the same with my backyard bird photos. How many photos can I take of the same kind of bird at the feeder? 

I'm taking a few online courses related to my photo editing software. I haven't yet got to the part where you add effects but I'm looking forward to learning to do more with my photos. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Oh no, you edited before I could reply but I so get what you were saying about photos of sunsets and flowers. I'm an amateur but I love taking nature photos. I can't tell you how many photos of flowers I have - bees on flowers, butterflies on flowers, water droplets on flowers, close up of flowers lol! It's the same with my backyard bird photos. How many photos can I take of the same kind of bird at the feeder? 

I'm taking a few online courses related to my photo editing software. I haven't yet got to the part where you add effects but I'm looking forward to learning to do more with my photos. 

Sorry I edited it.  I felt like I was being too wordy on a photography thread--a picture being worth a thousands words you know.  

I started with my photography hobby in 2011 and hit the ground running. I spent a lot of time on it.  A lot of time.  I joined a club and we met twice a month and did some pretty fun and somewhat complex photography activities. I went to that club from 2011 until 2014, so it was a lot of meetings and lot of projects.  In 2012, I took a picture a day and blogged about it, but it was more like 10-20 pictures a day.  I took my camera with me everywhere I went, even though the weight would get hard on my back if I was out all day.

By 2015 I started thinking, "What do I do with these pictures?"  I mean, sure I could see a great sunset and take a picture of it...but why?  I already have 50 such pictures at home.  It got down to the fact that I'd done everything I wanted to do and it was getting...boring.  I kept taking pictures, but then they'd just sit there on my computer.

And then I found a way to make the sort of picture I posted--where I merge two pictures together and make it look like the things in the pictures are interacting.  And that sparked my love of photography again.  I haven't done as much with it as I could, but I've taken a few pictures like that and they're my favorites.  In fact, I was thinking of doing one of them yesterday for dust, where I took a picture of a ball of dust and a picture of me and the kids and then shrunk us down like we were fighting a giant ball of dust bigger than ourselves.  But I ran out of time.  ?  Those pictures do take a bit of time to compose and then edit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Garga said:

Sorry I edited it.  I felt like I was being too wordy on a photography thread--a picture being worth a thousands words you know.  

I started with my photography hobby in 2011 and hit the ground running. I spent a lot of time on it.  A lot of time.  I joined a club and we met twice a month and did some pretty fun and somewhat complex photography activities. I went to that club from 2011 until 2014, so it was a lot of meetings and lot of projects.  In 2012, I took a picture a day and blogged about it, but it was more like 10-20 pictures a day.  I took my camera with me everywhere I went, even though the weight would get hard on my back if I was out all day.

By 2015 I started thinking, "What do I do with these pictures?"  I mean, sure I could see a great sunset and take a picture of it...but why?  I already have 50 such pictures at home.  It got down to the fact that I'd done everything I wanted to do and it was getting...boring.  I kept taking pictures, but then they'd just sit there on my computer.

And then I found a way to make the sort of picture I posted--where I merge two pictures together and make it look like the things in the pictures are interacting.  And that sparked my love of photography again.  I haven't done as much with it as I could, but I've taken a few pictures like that and they're my favorites.  In fact, I was thinking of doing one of them yesterday for dust, where I took a picture of a ball of dust and a picture of me and the kids and then shrunk us down like we were fighting a giant ball of dust bigger than ourselves.  But I ran out of time.  ?  Those pictures do take a bit of time to compose and then edit.

Have you seen the wedding photos with the bridal party all running from Godzilla or a Trex or something?

• Haha 4

WEATHER

Our weather from yesterday late afternoon — monsoon season is just starting in this hot, dry place, with cloud build up, big fat raindrops or sheets of downpour, violent wind, and electrical storms. The quality of #3 and #4 are really bad, but I did actually capture 2 different lightning strikes away up on the mountains!

clouds 1.JPG

raindrops.jpg

lightning.jpg

lightning 2.png

• Like 15

The desert is always sunny, so when it rains the kids celebrate like the first snow in winter. These are photos from last year’s summer. It’s funny that Lori is posting photos of the monsoons at the same time lol. I used to have some really cool duststorm photos but my phone ate them when the motherboard went haywire. 

B418A040-7A27-45D5-96D5-73FE78B752BF.jpeg

DC5D90F9-64DF-4865-BAFB-4C45068CAA37.jpeg

BF9E63DB-2A5C-4917-9532-CBF628AA00BD.jpeg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Garga said:

Snow.  A pile of it is reaching to the top of the garage door, to the left of the person.

Oh! I see it now! I kept reading the garage door as a porch floor. Now that I see the garage door and the snow I can’t see the flooded porch anymore. That was really weird 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I just want to say that I'm having a stressful summer and I have another 3 weeks of the situation to get through.  These picture threads are making me smile every day so thank you all for posting!!!

I’m sorry things are stressful right now, I hope the next three weeks go as smoothly as possible.

• Like 3

Was supposed to get up at 7, but was too tired when the alarm went off.  Dozed until 8:30, then checked Facebook, email, and here.  Finally, just now decided to get up.  Here’s a picture of my ceiling.  It’s 9:00 as you can tell from the clock that beams the time on the ceiling.  You can sort of see the glow-in-the-dark stars stuck to the ceiling with that blue poster stuff in the middle of each star.  This used to be the boys’ room.  

956CA5AF-B640-4C1B-8E8F-525CE2F7C22E.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2