Menu

Manuka Honey is AMAZING!!!!

ktgrok

Manuka Honey is FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! DD8 had an infected bug bit or something on her leg. We've been trying to treat it with hot compresses and antibiotic ointment with very little change in a full week. Not worse, but not better. I was at the point of taking her to the doctor when we decided to try the Manuka Honey on it. Put it on yesterday evening with a bandaid and today the swelling is GONE. Totally 100 percent gone. There is a tiny red area a 10th of the size it was, totally flat. I was flabbergasted. I cannot believe it. Reapplied and I'm positive this will be gone in a day or two. Y'all....this is freaking amazing. (and I was even using mupirocin, not just OTC stuff and it wasn't touching it.)

• Like 8

I've had really amazing results with it, too. Ideally you want the highest UMF factor you can get: 5+ is the absolute minimum but 10+ is better, and higher than that is best. Manuka honey saved a horse we thought might need to be put down, and saved the leg of a cat the vet said would probably have to be amputated. Honey itself has antibacterial properties, while nourishing the living tissue, and the chemicals in the tree it comes from are similar to the antibacterial chemicals in tea tree oil. It's amazing stuff!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I've had really amazing results with it, too. Ideally you want the highest UMF factor you can get: 5+ is the absolute minimum but 10+ is better, and higher than that is best. Manuka honey saved a horse we thought might need to be put down, and saved the leg of a cat the vet said would probably have to be amputated. Honey itself has antibacterial properties, while nourishing the living tissue, and the chemicals in the tree it comes from are similar to the antibacterial chemicals in tea tree oil. It's amazing stuff!

This is the one I have. https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B00AAVK7FM?m=A1VPEJV7O66L91&psc=1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

It’s just loading the prime now page for me, not the item.  Which brand is it?

The one Katy linked is this: https://www.amazon.com/Manuka-Doctor-Active-Honey-Ounce/dp/B00AAVK7FM?th=1

If that link doesn't work, try searching Amazon for: Manuka Doctor Bio Active Honey, 20 Plus, 8.75 Ounce

That is the same product that I use, it's UMF is 20+ which is strong. A lot of the stuff you see in supermarkets is only 5+ which is the absolute minimum that has any medical use, but the higher the UMF rating the better.

• Like 4

I'm going to give this a try. I used to use it in my skin care routine years ago but not anymore. But my DD has recurrent sores in the corners of her mouth, which we've been treating with strong  (dermatologist prescribed) antifungal+topical antibiotic. I hate those are so near her mouth, though. But honey may help...and it won't hurt if she swallows it. Thanks!

I'm glad someone else found the link! I bought it to use on the dog (tail slammed in the door, slow healing) but he's determined that it should be taken internally. So if I put it on the wound he chews off the bandage to get to it. But now I'm glad I had it on hand! I get some cysts in a sensitive area and next one I get I'm trying this on it. (which sounds pretty risqué now that I think about it, lol)

• Haha 1

I am impressed, too. After my mom passed away last October, I developed some dry, irritated skin at the corners of my eyes. I figured it was stress-related or caused by tears and ignored it, outside of moisturizing. But by the new year, the irritation was spreading below one of my eyes. I hadn't worn eye make-up for a couple months to avoid irritating the skin—that was getting old—and I was concerned at the ugly redness. It began to look like eczema (which I hadn't had before). I went to my GP, my naturopath, and my eye doctor. After trying an antibiotic, a homeopathic remedy, and medicated eye wipes, the GP and optometrist said I should start a topical steroid.

I decided to buy and try Manuka honey before resorting to steroids. I mixed it half-and half with coconut oil and applied. The itching/burning went away immediately. In three days there was a noticeable improvement. (I didn't look like someone had punched me in the eye.) In seven days, the redness was gone, and the skin started peeling. After a couple weeks, my eyes were occasionally dry at the corners at night, and I would apply the honey mixture. It's been about a month now, and my skin is healthy. I'm thankful I tried the honey and was able to avoid steroids around my eyes!

Edited to add: I bought Wedderspoon brand, with a KFactor of 16.

• Like 4

This is a great reminder for me. I used to have some face lotion with manuka honey and it was wonderful. When it ran out, I never replaced it for some reason, but I should get more. My DDs have been having some problems with acne and I bet the lotion would help. Do you all think straight honey would be better for acne or too much? The lotion with honey was very soothing and I used it after heavy exfoliation to soothe my skin. 

18 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

II decided to buy and try Manuka honey before resorting to steroids. I mixed it half-and half with coconut oil and applied. The itching/burning went away immediately. In three days there was a noticeable improvement. (I didn't look like someone had punched me in the eye.) In seven days, the redness was gone, and the skin started peeling. After a couple weeks, my eyes were occasionally dry at the corners at night, and I would apply the honey mixture. It's been about a month now, and my skin is healthy. I'm thankful I tried the honey and was able to avoid steroids around my eyes!

A couple of years ago I had Mohs surgery to remove a squamous cell carcinoma that was very close to my eye. The doctor highly recommended that I schedule the Mohs surgery in conjunction with a plastic surgeon, so that I would literally go straight from the Mohs surgeon to the plastic surgeon (in another town) with gauze over my face, so he could do reconstructive surgery to prevent me from having a big scar. Instead I chose a different Mohs surgeon who was willing to start with a smaller incision and to sew it up herself instead of sending me to a plastic surgeon. Then I used Manuka honey and gauze for a couple of weeks afterwards, and it healed with no scarring. The next time I saw my GP she commented that the plastic surgeon had done a really good job and I laughed and said my "plastic surgeon" was a $20 jar of honey.

DS is currently using it for some sores on his face as a result of taking high doses of Accutane. The Accutane has definitely reduced breakouts, but instead he gets these nasty sores, especially in the corners of his mouth. The dermatologist gave him an Rx antibiotic ointment, which had no effect at all, so he's been trying Manuka instead. The only problem is that he's constantly licking it off, without even realizing he's doing it!

On 5/8/2018 at 11:36 AM, alisoncooks said:

I'm going to give this a try. I used to use it in my skin care routine years ago but not anymore. But my DD has recurrent sores in the corners of her mouth, which we've been treating with strong  (dermatologist prescribed) antifungal+topical antibiotic. I hate those are so near her mouth, though. But honey may help...and it won't hurt if she swallows it. Thanks!

I’ve had mouth corner sores from Bvitamin deficiencies. 

19 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Add this to the list of items I bought because of the Hive. ?

Yep! I haven't bought it yet, but I plan to! I wonder if it will heal my seborrheic dermatitis on my face. It's worth a try! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 4:35 PM, alisoncooks said:

Thanks. We did read something like that a while ago and added a multivitamin to her diet. Maybe the B% isn't high enough b/c we haven't seen a difference. 

Multivitamin unlikely to be even close to high enough if they are from a deficiency in my experience. 

I take a b complex and B1 and B2 in addition separately. Each person is unique. 

You can probably find online pictures of typical Mouth sores from B vitamin lack   There may also be other deficiencies that can cause mouth sores 

On 5/8/2018 at 11:19 AM, Corraleno said:

Matryoshka, see what Corraleno said. I got the kind linked on Amazon from this thread.

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Do I need to get some kind medicinal grade or concentration for this stuff to work?  I saw TJ's has it for what seems a relatively very reasonable price, but it just says "Manuka honey".  Maybe not strong enough for non-food use??

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My dh gets a rash in his armpits. He had no idea what is causing it and won't go to the doctor for it. Do you think this would help? At least his pits would smell good.

Is the rash itchy? I had a mystery rash on my armpits for about a week and it was horribly itchy. Looked a bit like heat rash. In the end, the only thing that calmed the itch and made it finally go away was apple cider vinegar! It burned like heck at first, but then there was immediate relief. My theory was it was caused by yeast, which is killed by ACV. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Do I need to get some kind medicinal grade or concentration for this stuff to work?  I saw TJ's has it for what seems a relatively very reasonable price, but it just says "Manuka honey".  Maybe not strong enough for non-food use??

I like this one, which is UMF 20+. It's less than $20, which a really good price for such a high UMF rating. You want a bare minimum of 5+ — anything less than that has no medical value. But the higher the rating the stronger the effect, and I prefer to go with at least 20+. When we were trying to save a horse's foot we used a super high rated one, like 50+, but that was crazy expensive. (Not as expensive as vet bills, or putting down a valuable horse, though.)

• Like 2

My husband has a rash or reaction or something on his legs and arms. He's had it for at least 7 years and no dermatologist can figure it out. 
I want to try this for his legs and arms, but I'm assuming this is sticky like honey so all over would be a bit of a bother. 

Is there a cream or lotion made from Manuka Honey that anyone has used? 

I'd have him choose a small test patch in an out-of-the-way spot and try putting some honey on it, wrap it in gauze, and cover with vet-wrap. But to be honest, if the rash is an immune thing, not bacterial or fungal, I'm not sure how much good the honey will do.

14 hours ago, Southern Ivy said:

My husband has a rash or reaction or something on his legs and arms. He's had it for at least 7 years and no dermatologist can figure it out. 
I want to try this for his legs and arms, but I'm assuming this is sticky like honey so all over would be a bit of a bother. 

Is there a cream or lotion made from Manuka Honey that anyone has used? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017MOR60S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this for severe eczema. Works very well. It does not have Manuka, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'd have him choose a small test patch in an out-of-the-way spot and try putting some honey on it, wrap it in gauze, and cover with vet-wrap. But to be honest, if the rash is an immune thing, not bacterial or fungal, I'm not sure how much good the honey will do.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking it probably is. I'm thinking he's eating something or in contact with something that is making him break out, but no one can figure out what. ? I think I"m going to get the Manuka for our mosquito bites, though. We almost always end up with one or two looking like it's going to turn into cellulitis. ?