Menu

Would you buy a rebuilt/salvaged title vehicle for family car?

Trilliumlady

Title is pretty self explanatory.  Would you (or have you) buy a salvaged title vehicle for a family van.  Specifically we are looking at 2014 or newer Toyota Siennas.  The dealership has outstanding reviews and have informed us there was no frame damage, only cosmetic doors, bumper, etc.  Extra points if you can answer this having actually done so!  But please answer even if you haven’t done so.

Probably. FIL retired from autobody repair many years ago now, but body damage that exceeded insurance payout can still be repaired as well as body damage that didn't. Perhaps there are other financial ramifications I'm not aware of, but for the vehicles in the situations I'm aware of it was fine.

We have considered this a couple of times, particularly on Camrys, and decided no.  One of the problems is that we take cars we're considering buying to our regular mechanic who also runs a body shop, and he can spot body work, especially flaws in that work, a mile away.  He walks around the car with us, shakes his head, says, "You don't want this car," and strongly implies that he would think less of us if we bought it, and it will be a car that has been in a wreck but wasn't anywhere near totaled.  He's so judgmental, but we trust him.  And, truth be told, when my husband, despite our mechanic's misgivings, bought a Fusion with about 3,000 miles on it that had been in a minor wreck, the paint on the hood did have to be completely redone (on our dime) in a year.  When our guy has worked on our cars, including a Sienna that was wrecked a whopping five times, you couldn't tell any difference between his work and the original.  But I think cars that are dressed up for resale are like houses that are bought to be flipped--they're doing what looks good, not necessarily what is best for the car.  

• Like 1

At some point, I would have definitely done this.  But just because there is no frame damage doesnt mean there is no possible frame weakening.  Also, my parents car was considered totaled after driving through water because the insurance company said the risk of mold was too high. Never thought of that...  

if you can get it independently checked out AND get it insured, it’s probably worth considering if you’re in a bind. 

• Like 1

I did.  Not a van but a small SUV.  I bought it from a friend who does that kind of work (buy totals and rebuild).  Usually the price/value of a rebuilt is about half of the value of a non rebuilt.  I paid $8k for a vehicle that had 29K miles on it and was valued at $17 on KBB.  It has lasted me 9 years and now has almost 200K on it.  The paint job has started to crack, but over all I am pleased.  

But guys who work in the vehicle business rarely will think it is a good idea.  They are quite judgy.  ;)

I totaled my car in high school.  We bought it back after the insurance settlement, fixed it, and it drove (well) for another decade. The only the thing that was always wonky was the stereo system. 

I'd have to be rock-solid certain that it was fixed right, though, to do it at this point, having children. 

I wish we lived close to where this is so we could bring it to our mechanic but the vehicle is about 4 hrs away, so won’t be doing that!  It is such a great deal (well, at least I think it is? 18900 for 2014 xle with 38,000 miles) but I just don’t know if we should go for it or not!  Sigh.... 

OP I suggest that you contact the company that issues your Automobile insurance and ask them whether or not they would consider adding this vehicle to your policy. If they would add it to your policy, what coverage will they issue for it and what will that cost?

I would not knowingly purchase a car that has been in a Fire or Flood, but would consider one that had been in an accident, if you can confirm that there is no Structural damage.

I wouldn't.  I would worry that it wouldn't be marked rebuilt if it hadn't been totalled, and newer cars are engineered to crush in the non-passenger zones, so I would have serious questions about how a newer car was totalled without damaging the frame.  It seems unlikely to me unless a flood or fire was involved.

37 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

I wish we lived close to where this is so we could bring it to our mechanic but the vehicle is about 4 hrs away, so won’t be doing that!  It is such a great deal (well, at least I think it is? 18900 for 2014 xle with 38,000 miles) but I just don’t know if we should go for it or not!  Sigh.... 

Wow, that’s is a good deal.  How much detail will they give you about the damage?  I found sellers of rebuilt titles quit responding when I asked for those kinds of specifics.  I loved my Sienna.  I only buy Toyotas now because I loved that one so much.

5 minutes ago, plansrme said:

Wow, that’s is a good deal.  How much detail will they give you about the damage?  I found sellers of rebuilt titles quit responding when I asked for those kinds of specifics.  I loved my Sienna.  I only buy Toyotas now because I loved that one so much.

This is what I was thinking.  If you could have a copy of the original estimate that was written that totaled the vehicle.....but usually those vehicles are sold at salvage or auctions and that paperwork doesn't transfer.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I wouldn't.  I would worry that it wouldn't be marked rebuilt if it hadn't been totalled, and newer cars are engineered to crush in the non-passenger zones, so I would have serious questions about how a newer car was totalled without damaging the frame.  It seems unlikely to me unless a flood or fire was involved.

My son totaled his 2005 CRV without any frame damage in a rollover accident. Every side of the car had body damage, windows broke and all of the airbags deployed, that was enough. That frame was awesome, though, as was the roof! 

But, I wouldn’t buy a salvaged car because this might have happened to it! 

A8B4537C-6CEE-44FA-9956-C29F997E833B.jpeg

0554A296-D178-4982-8147-E6D8D2DB1EC6.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

My son totaled his 2005 CRV without any frame damage in a rollover accident. Every side of the car had body damage, windows broke and all of the airbags deployed, that was enough. That frame was awesome, though, as was the roof! 

But, I wouldn’t buy a salvaged car because this might have happened to it!

Yes, but since 2005 frames have been designed to crumble even more. OP mentioned she wanted 2014 or newer.

4 hours ago, rebcoola said:

We bought a rebuilt Surbuban and its been running great for 5 years well worth the $5000 and 2 hour drive. It was from a private guy and my husband and him spent about 2 hours talking about what he had done.  

Same with my vehicle.  I have gotten so much use out of it.  It is getting close to being worn out....but even now I figure I can get $1500 for it even with salvaged title.

I just remembered my boss, who owns a body shop, bought back a total and uses it for a shop vehicle...it is super nice and you would never know it has a salvaged title.

• Like 1

generally no.

for kid car..it depends.  I sold my mom's car with a salvaged title. ... it had body damage (from very minor fender benders and scrapes) - but the frame was fine.  mechanically it was fine.

but I'd want a lot more info - and I wouldn't pay as much as if it was the original title.

6 hours ago, plansrme said:

This dealer has massively great reviews across many review sites, 400+ at each one which makes me feel good.  What they have told me is that it had a driver side accident, maybe swiped?  Fender, both driver side doors, tire and control motor(?) and axle were replaced. The accident was in 2017, I believe.  Does this change anyone’s opinion?

27 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

This dealer has massively great reviews across many review sites, 400+ at each one which makes me feel good.  What they have told me is that it had a driver side accident, maybe swiped?  Fender, both driver side doors, tire and control motor(?) and axle were replaced. The accident was in 2017, I believe.  Does this change anyone’s opinion?

Ask him if he has the original estimate for repair.

I wouldn't.  The only used car we ever bought was a used (just maybe 3 years old) Sienna.  The carfax said that it had been in an accident, but it didn't seem like such a big deal.  That car was such a headache that we've never bought used ever again.  I don't even care if I can save some money.  I need reliability and since my dh travels so much, I'd be in a real jam if I needed to take the car to the shop.  

Nope, especially a newish one like that.

Salvage titles mean that the car was worth less undamaged that it would cost to repair it.  For a newish car, that is a LOT of repair work, implying a lot of damage.

However, I would consider keeping a car with a salvage title if I knew the details of the collision and what was effected.  You can tell the insurance company that you intend to keep the car even if they won't pay to repair it, and then they deduct the 'salvage value' (IME just a couple hundred dollars) from the check they give you for the damages.