Menu

chapter books with dragons?

SilverMoon

What are your favorite dragon stories?? My shelves have run out and he's consistently asking for more. Any reading level if it would interest a 7yo boy. :)

He's gone through My Father's Dragon, How to Train Your Dragon, Magic Treehouse dragon volume, and more I can't remember off the top of my head. Anything he can get his hands on really.

Something like Wimpy Kid is his sweet spot for mashing his reading level with his maturity, but he'll power through something like Quidditch Through the Ages if he likes it well enough. And of course he'll gladly gobble up easier books for good stories. :)

Edited by SilverMoon

My 6.5 year old loves the Dragon Masters series.  Also the Kingdom of Wrenly books aren't all entirely about dragons, per se, but the main character has a pet dragon who features heavily in all the stories.

Wendy

I also was going to mention Dragon Masters.  My kids LOVE these.   They are easy reads, but even I enjoy the stories!  :)   

There is also Dragon Slayers Academy.   These books are HILARIOUS.   

There is also How to Train a Dragon series.  

There is the Dragonsitter's series

And for a read aloud, you MUST read The Reluctant Dragon.   This is one of my favorite read aloud books EVER.   :)   (Especially if you are any good at doing British-voices.   So much fun.)  

• Like 1

What are your favorite dragon stories?? My shelves have run out and he's consistently asking for more. Any reading level if it would interest a 7yo boy. :)

He's gone through My Father's Dragon, How to Train Your Dragon, Magic Treehouse dragon volume, and more I can't remember off the top of my head. Anything he can get his hands on really.

Something like Wimpy Kid is his sweet spot for mashing his reading level with his maturity, but he'll power through something like Quidditch Through the Ages if he likes it well enough. And of course he'll gladly gobble up easier books for good stories. :)

You might also try The Book of Dragons by E. Nesbit. We enjoyed these stories as read-alouds, but they weren't little boy dragon-crack the way Dragon Masters, How to Train Your Dragon, and Wings of Fire have been.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

and of course, the best ever: The Hobbit

ETA: the trilogy Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums

and the Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, and Calling on Dragons

Edited by La Condessa
  • Like 2

Oh, I just remembered that I took a picture of a dragon book the other day to see if I could find it at our library.  It was one of the Beast Quest books...it appears that quite a few of them are about dragons.  However, from reading the blurb it seems the dragons are the enemy, so that might not be what you are looking for.

Wendy

• Like 1

Brambleheart by Henry Cole...here's the description from Amazon:

"In the Hill, animals work as Weavers, Smelters, and Carvers—but Twig doesn’t know who he wants to be. He tries very hard in all his classes, but his imagination wanders to his favorite books or the delicious mayapples growing beyond the scavenge yard . . . and then he loses his focus. After Twig makes a big mistake in front of everyone, he sets out on a secret journey to discover himself. But as he wanders deeper into the Yard than he’s ever wandered before, Twig finds a curious colored globe. A dragon’s egg—which hatches in front of his eyes.

Now protecting the baby dragon is all Twig wants to do. But when he learns that his secret might hurt others, he’s forced to make a choice between his place in the world and the feelings in his heart."

Bayberry Island, the sequel, was wonderful, too : )  My daughter loved these books and others by Henry Cole.

• Like 1

Two favorites of DS#2 when he was in his dragon phase:
- Book of Dragons (Hague) -- excerpts from books with dragons
- Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Drake)

Past threads with ideas:
Early reader of first chapter books/book series on dragons? -- lots of suggestions, ranging from gr. 1-6 in reading level
Favorite dragon books?

A few ideas in the gr. 2-4 reading level from those threads to get you started:
- Dragon Masters series (West) -- Scholastic "branches" book
- Kingdom of Wrenly series (Quinn) -- there is a reoccurring side character of a young dragon
- Dragon of Doom (Coville) -- (other titles in the Moongobble and Me series feature different creatures)
- Dragon Slayer Academy series (McMullan)
- Dragon Breath series (Vernon)
- Dragon Keepers series (Klimo)
- Dragon of Lonely Island (and sequel) (Rupp)
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (Lin)

Some ideas at a grade 5+ reading level:
- Book of Dragons (Nesbit) -- a family favorite
- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame) -- another family favorite
- Dragon Keepers Chronicles (Paul)
- Dragon Rider (Funke)
- Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Coville)
- A Practical Guide to Dragons (Trumbauer)

The Hobbit has the evil dragon Smaug at the end of the story, but that's at a middle school reading level. You might try one of the graphic novel versions, if your DS doesn't mind a bad dragon character:
The Hobbit Illustrated (Wenzel)
The Hobbit (Dixon) -- part 1, part 2, part 3

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

My daughter's goal since she was six has been to grow up to be a dragon.  She's been picky, however, because a lot of times dragons in books aren't "correct" according to her imagination, and we never do books where dragons are bad guys or are slain or anything unspeakable like that.

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher

Wings of Fire series (sort of like Warriors, only with dragons instead of cats)

Dragon Rider by Funke

Book of Dragons by Nesbit

Dragons of the Lost Sea series by Yep

Eragon series are awesome audiobooks. 

D&D monster manual has a large section on dragons which she pretty much has memorized

Dragonology

ETA:  Dragon Keepers (Dragon in a Sock Drawer) series

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2

You could go old school with the Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series

Just in case anyone reading this thread cares, and is not aware, McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series is an adult fantasy series, with some mildly adult situations in some books. For example, the dragons are telepathically linked to their riders, and when the dragons fly solo up into the air to mate, their riders down on the ground experience... ahem... the heat of passion, shall we say, and sometimes act on that with another dragon rider nearby.

Not graphically written or dwelt on, but it is there. Just an FYI to help with making book choices that are the best fit for the age/maturity level of the student. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

Just in case anyone reading this thread cares, and is not aware, McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series is an adult fantasy series, with some mildly adult situations in some books. For example, the dragons are telepathically linked to their riders, and when the dragons fly solo up into the air to mate, their riders down on the ground experience... ahem... the heat of passion, shall we say, and sometimes act on that with another dragon rider nearby.

Not graphically written or dwelt on, but it is there. Just an FYI to help with making book choices that are the best fit for the age/maturity level of the student. :)

Whoops, guess I didn't catch that as a child reading the books myself  :crying:.  Sorry about that!

SaveSave

• Like 2

Whoops, guess I didn't catch that as a child reading the books myself  :crying:.  Sorry about that!

SaveSave

Yeah, it went over my head reading them at age 11 or so. As did all the super sexist relationships. There's some really abusive stuff implied.

BUT... there is a tiny YA spinoff series Dragonsong and Dragonsinger - these don't have anything like that, the abusive characters in the story are the bad guys, the young heroine is a strong and positive character, the bullies get what's coming to them, etc. The first book is like Julie of the Dragons, the second one is like Medieval Mean Girls with Dragons. They're cute.

Our favorite dragon book was definitely Dragonrider by Cornelia Funke, which I'm pretty sure someone mentioned above.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone! I looked up every single title and added loads into his Amazon wishlist. :thumbup1:

He has been raised on Narnia, Hobbit, and Harry Potter and adores those stories. So he's comfortable with more mature story lines than material aimed at his age, but he is only 7. :001_smile:  He'd largely prefer the dragon is the cool character but Smaug still inspires awe. 

Some days ago he had a shield in his arm with a Nerf under his arm, a sword down the back of his shirt, and another sword in his other hand, on his way to the backdoor. I said the same well-wishing comment about slaying dragons I've said since my now graduates suited up. His response was, "Mom. Please. I *am* the dragon." :lol:

• Like 1

Whoops, guess I didn't catch that as a child reading the books myself :crying:. Sorry about that!

Save

Save

I missed that a lot of the lower order dragons had different sex riders so if you dragon paired up with another the relationship was often homosexual the first time I read them. I like them but I would go with the 3 about Menolly and if I was concerned about such things I might reread them first.

• Like 1

Wings of Fire was a hit with my dragon-obsessed kids.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There is a graphic novel of Wings of Fire too. 

Book of Dragons (Hague) -- excerpts from books with dragons This is nice gift book, in hardback. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1