Menu

early reader or first chapter books book/series on dragons?

I'm looking for a fiction book or series on dragons for my 2nd grader. Needs to be an early reader or first chapter books-type book. Is there anything out there like this? We saw the Wings of Fire series at a bookstore yesterday but it may be years before he can read well enough for that (he has dyslexia).

gr. 1 stepped readers -- although, these may be too sweet or young for what DS is looking for:

gr. 2 readers -- myths and spin on traditional fairytale -- may not be quite what DS is looking for

The Dragon Painter (Dickins)

gr. 2-3 readers

- Dragon Masters series (West) -- Scholastic "branches" book

- Kingdom of Wrenly series (Quinn) -- there is a reoccurring side character of a young dragon

- Dragon of Doom (Coville) -- book from the Moongobble and Me series; the others feature different creatures

- Dragon Slayer Academy series (McMullan)

- Dragon Breath series (Vernon)

gr. 3 readers

- Dragon Keepers series (Klimo)

- The Egg; The DragonSnatcher; The Great Dragon Rescue (Robertson) -- very worthwhile picture books

gr. 3-4 readers

- How to Train Your Dragon series (Cowell)

- My Father's Dragon trilogy (Gannett)

- Dragon of Lonely Island (and sequel) (Rupp)

- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (Lin)

past thread: Favorite Dragon Books

PS

Also, why not enjoy the Wings of Fire series now as a fun read-aloud? If DS is really into dragons right now, there are lots of great dragon books at the grade 4-8 reading level that you could use as read-alouds now, and then he can enjoy on his own in a few years. Some of them are heavily illustrated, so that's a bonus of enjoying flipping through the pages now and reading a sentence or two or a caption on his own. See that past thread I linked, plus here are some other dragon read aloud ideas:

- Book of Dragons (Nesbit)

- Book of Dragons (Hague) -- excerpts from books with dragons

- Dragon Keepers Chronicles (Paul)

- Dragon Rider (Funke)

- Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Coville)

- Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Drake)

- A Practical Guide to Dragons (Trumbauer)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We are currently re-reading the Three Tales of My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett with my 2nd grade boy & the 4.5 yr old also loves to listen. My 2nd grader can read these on his own now. We started them back in the latter half of Kindergarten and I read them aloud. 

My boys love Dragon stories so I'm going to have to look at the others suggested on here.

Edited by sarahsheart
  • Like 2