Menu

When you are PMSing so bad, and need to just lock yourself in the closet...

Petrichor

what do you do? I am SO not used to this feeling. I've only had a few cycles like this as of recent - with horrible moodiness right before Auntie Flow comes to visit - took me a while to realize what it was since I'm so irregular - so I've never learned to deal with it...

My kids and husband don't deserve my current POed/horrible mood. 

Explain to your DH that this is what it is and ask for his support.

Give yourself permission to have a really crummy day when nothing gets done beyond the bare minimum. 

Treat yourself to some nice tea/chocolate/heating pad in bed.

Make a note in your calendar four weeks from now to watch out for this crappy feeling.

ETA: Outdoor exercise helps me a bit.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I just think I'm totally justified in my righteousness anger until my period shows up a day or two later. I actually find it quite disturbing, this is a new feature since turning 30 and I don't like it...

If I play my piano or go outside in the sun or cry, that can help a little.

Sorry, no help, but commiserations.

• Like 4

Explain to your DH that this is what it is and ask for his support.

Give yourself permission to have a really crummy day when nothing gets done beyond the bare minimum. 

Treat yourself to some nice tea/chocolate/heating pad in bed.

Make a note in your calendar four weeks from now to watch out for this crappy feeling.

ETA: Outdoor exercise helps me a bit.

Bleh. I was hoping to avoid the really crummy day thing. This is day 2, maybe even day 3, of crummy days :/ 

Let the family know you're just not feeling well & you're sorry for the attitude. I find my apology can go a long way if I've been a bear.

Get some exercise, and try to take good care of yourself. Would your husband be open to helping you?

I find it helpful to remind myself that not all of my emotions are actually valid. If I'm in a hormonal funk, I can choose not to act on how I'm feeling.

Best wishes to you. It's crummy.

• Like 5

I find it helpful to remind myself that not all of my emotions are actually valid. If I'm in a hormonal funk, I can choose not to act on how I'm feeling.

I can't.  I get anxiety attacks and physical symptoms of panic with my PMS. I cannot choose not to worry, obsess and stress. I wish I could.

I can remind myself that this is hormones and not "real", but it does not make the anxiety go away. It only helps me not to despair because I know it will resolve itself in a few days.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I made sure hubby knew.

When my kids were old enough I made sure they knew too.  I considered it one of their "life lessons" about females - very important to teach since they don't have sisters and have female friends + potentially spouses.

I tried not to act upon things, but I'll freely admit, I wasn't all that successful.

In hindsight, I'd have let my boys know a couple of years earlier than I did.

And I'd try to be alone as much as possible - outdoors with our critters or wherever.  But that's not always possible either.

So... I made sure hubby knew.  He helped considerably.

I just think I'm totally justified in my righteousness anger until my period shows up a day or two later. I actually find it quite disturbing, this is a new feature since turning 30 and I don't like it...

I remember when I first realized that my kids seemingly cyclic bad behavior corresponded exactly with the few days before my period each month.  That was eye opening!

• Like 3

This is ME!  I have recently turned into "an angry rage monster" per my husband.  I've had trouble with cramps, etc. before but the last few months it is mostly emotional.  (And by "emotional" I mean "eat my own young"...)

I do documentaries with the boys and assign stuff they don't need me for.  I have learned to do whatever I can to get through it without making life miserable for everyone else.  

And I pray for menopause.

Thanks for posting this. I've just been googling low progesterone and tick tick tick... almost all the symptoms.

A friend of mine left her husband when her progesterone crashed.  Then a few days later, she felt fine.  The next time her brain went wonky, her levels were tested and they were waaayyyy low.  I find it scary that hormones can mess with the brain that much.  

• Like 1

It took me a while to notice that DH and I happen to have a really big argument ~once a month. And a bit longer to see it's not *about*, it's like clockwork. DH does or says something that I react to in a completely rational manner overreact to and we have a huge argument. I am absolutely certain in the moment that I am being completely rational and that he is being a complete ******. The next day my period starts. I am now to the point where *after* the fight I am able to breathe and think "oh crap, I'm due aren't I? Dang it, so that was probably me not him." But I'm still not to the point that I see it earlier or can do anything about it if I do. Off to google low progesterone. 

• Like 1

It took me a while to notice that DH and I happen to have a really big argument ~once a month. And a bit longer to see it's not *about*, it's like clockwork. DH does or says something that I react to in a completely rational manner overreact to and we have a huge argument. I am absolutely certain in the moment that I am being completely rational and that he is being a complete ******. The next day my period starts. I am now to the point where *after* the fight I am able to breathe and think "oh crap, I'm due aren't I? Dang it, so that was probably me not him." But I'm still not to the point that I see it earlier or can do anything about it if I do. Off to google low progesterone. 

and the problem is that we in the middle of it, we would NOT react well to our husbands saying, "Is it possible that maybe this might be just a tiny bit PMS?"   

A friend of mine said that as a teenager, they had the most well-walked dog around.   It was the only allowed excuse to get out of the house.  She had three brothers, and one kid would take the dog for a walk AS another kid brought the dog back.  

KungFuPanda, your new avatar is cute!!!

Thanks for noticing. I accidentally deleted the old one while attempting to post a Halloween picture, then spent a few days as a shadow while I puzzled out how to get a photo uploaded that wasn't too big. (The answer is a screenshot of your picture. I have no idea why.) It dawned on me that I could be ANY panda and remain recognizable :-)

• Like 1