Menu

nt

Soror

for me . . . . it was yeast. . . . . I couldn't understand why some days I felt good, and others I felt like i was drugged. . .

well, I didn't eat much bread, and one day I ate too much and finally noticed there was a connection.

I'm not overly sensitive to gluten, so I was fine with pasta, or even other stuff with flour.  but anything with yeast . . oh my.

the jury is still out on molds.  (re: the rind on brie, blue cheese, roquefort . . .3/4 day old leftovers. )

I suspect sensitivity to some asian sauces . . . . re: soy sauce.

I would consider the following 

-are you sleeping enough? Have you tried sleeping more? Improving the quality of your sleep through better mattress/pillow, air quality in your room. Is your sleep restful or do you have nightmares, muscle tension, apnea, teeth grinding etc?  Addressing those through stress reduction, meditation, walking outside daily, magnesium etc might help.

-are you trying to do too much?  Are your expectations realistic?  Maybe you're tired because you're doing too much? Can you simplify, cut clutter  - not just physical, but mental clutter and demands?

-I find some allergy meds, even though they're supposed to be non drowsy, affect my energy levels. In fact the non drowsy ones if I take them too late in the day, I think they negatively affect my sleep. I fall asleep but I don't think I sleep as well and so I feel off the next day.   Otoh, allergies make me groggy too. I'd experiment with taking meds at the same time, early in the day; or try switching to a different brand/type; or try nasal rinsing instead for a bit and get air purifiers and up the laundry and vacuuming (which alas goes against the doing too much ...).  Where I live we get more molds in the air in the fall.  We have fancy electrostatic filters on our furnace now and I think they've been helping a lot. Certainly every time I change them I'm shocked at how dirty they are.... 

-have you had a holiday? Do you take schedule time to just relax guilt free in activities that are really rewarding? 

- are you eating enough carbs? So many people are not.  Bursts of energy are all glucose fuelled. Steady ongoing consumption of healthy complex carbohydrates can really help energy levels. 

• Like 4

Allergies can cause fatigue and lack of endurance. Claritin makes my fatigue so much worse. I tried Claritin, zyrtec, Allegra and Xyzal. Currently Xyzal seems to be working "ok". Singulair is great when my prescription hasn't run out.

It's possible that whatever your vit D number is, that it actually needs to be much higher.

B vitamin complex can help

• Like 2

Allergies can cause fatigue and lack of endurance. Claritin makes my fatigue so much worse. I tried Claritin, zyrtec, Allegra and Xyzal. Currently Xyzal seems to be working "ok". Singulair is great when my prescription hasn't run out.

It's possible that whatever your vit D number is, that it actually needs to be much higher.

Claritin doesn't make me drowsy but maybe another med would help better. My d was 80 last I checked, my b12 was top of the range when I checked it in July, so not just in range but at optimal numbers. I could check them again but I take d3 daily and b12 as often as I can tolerate it. I just take my b's a few times a week now because otherwise, I can't sleep at night!

I would consider the following 

-are you sleeping enough? Have you tried sleeping more? Improving the quality of your sleep through better mattress/pillow, air quality in your room. Is your sleep restful or do you have nightmares, muscle tension, apnea, teeth grinding etc?  Addressing those through stress reduction, meditation, walking outside daily, magnesium etc might help.

Sleep has been decent. I go to bed early (by 9 usually), I wake up feeling awake. 

-are you trying to do too much?  Are your expectations realistic?  Maybe you're tired because you're doing too much? Can you simplify, cut clutter  - not just physical, but mental clutter and demands?

No, I've really lowered expectations. The house is pretty darn decluttered, I just did another deep clean and organize on break, I have far, far, fewer things than most and hardly any clutter. I've got some stress that I'm trying to address, only some of it can I do anything about. I have quiet lazy time in the am before the kids awake and the afternoons too. I take a lazy day after any more demanding day and even then I'm not pushing much (after having 2 days I nearly passed out- I don't trust that I have it in me)

-I find some allergy meds, even though they're supposed to be non drowsy, affect my energy levels. In fact the non drowsy ones if I take them too late in the day, I think they negatively affect my sleep. I fall asleep but I don't think I sleep as well and so I feel off the next day.   Otoh, allergies make me groggy too. I'd experiment with taking meds at the same time, early in the day; or try switching to a different brand/type; or try nasal rinsing instead for a bit and get air purifiers and up the laundry and vacuuming (which alas goes against the doing too much ...).  Where I live we get more molds in the air in the fall.  We have fancy electrostatic filters on our furnace now and I think they've been helping a lot. Certainly every time I change them I'm shocked at how dirty they are.... 

I am only taking Claritin sporadically and that is the only med, my fatigue persists even days out from taking it. I know we had some mold in the house, they cleaned the unit out, I hoped it would be some miracle cure but I'm still not feeling great. I could do nasal rinsing, I did find that helped before. We are keeping the house closed, as much as I hate it. We don't have fancy filters but maybe it is something to look into. I have all hard floors, so no vacuuming required and it is pretty clean around here, not white glove but pretty good.

-have you had a holiday? Do you take schedule time to just relax guilt free in activities that are really rewarding? 

I've had some time off, a whole day to myself last week and a few nights. My schedule is not too bad really. We have really cut back, most days I just stay home.

- are you eating enough carbs? So many people are not.  Bursts of energy are all glucose fuelled. Steady ongoing consumption of healthy complex carbohydrates can really help energy levels. I had upped them but I've had to lower them back because I was feeling worse eating more not to mention it exacerbates yeast issues. I'm experimenting to find the right level. I have some blood sugar issues too and if I eat too many, even natural ones, that shoots up my blood sugar and makes me groggy.

for me . . . . it was yeast. . . . . I couldn't understand why some days I felt good, and others I felt like i was drugged. . .

well, I didn't eat much bread, and one day I ate too much and finally noticed there was a connection.

I'm not overly sensitive to gluten, so I was fine with pasta, or even other stuff with flour.  but anything with yeast . . oh my.

the jury is still out on molds.  (re: the rind on brie, blue cheese, roquefort . . .3/4 day old leftovers. )

I suspect sensitivity to some asian sauces . . . . re: soy sauce.

I'm working on the yeast stuff. I've been gluten free for many years, it does cause fatigue issues for me too. I was thinking this morning perhaps I'm getting gluten some where but I don't know where from. I don't do dairy either. I've thought about histamine levels, I've done a low histamine diet before it is just a PITA, I do some gf soy sauce infrequently, and have not been really doing anything fermented, I lvoe kombucha but because I suck at brewing it I only get it rarely.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

You could test your ferritin levels (that isn't always tested in iron panels), yes you could get your cortisol/DHEA levels checked (this would be for adrenal), and if you have an MTHFR issue or a pyroluria issue, you may need a lot more Bs of a certain type than you think.

And working on your digestion would help all of that.

• Like 1

You could test your ferritin levels (that isn't always tested in iron panels), yes you could get your cortisol/DHEA levels checked (this would be for adrenal), and if you have an MTHFR issue or a pyroluria issue, you may need a lot more Bs of a certain type than you think.

And working on your digestion would help all of that.

I did have a full iron panel including ferritin. I have had checked cortisol and dhe(it was fine iirc) a but I've not done a 4- point adrenal test in awhile. 

I am heterozygous for MTHFR, I am taking hydroxy b12 as it is good for all mutations and my b 12 levels show great. What specific types of b's do you mean? I have a b complex and special folate for MTHFR I take a couple times a week but it really wires me and messes up my sleep if I take it any more.

I do know digestion is off and I'm working on it. I'm doing glutamine and Florastor and have a Candida supplement here. I thought about a stool test to see if they can see anything there. 

I just scheduled a consult I guess I will have my labs redone, it has just been right at 2 months but it is good to see how it is all doing.

I will get-

iron panel (ferritin, total, sat, and tibc)

d3

b12

thyroid panel- rt3, ft3, ft4

What am I missing??

Edited by soror

No sleep apnea? Any snoring?

Bill

I only snore when I'm sick and congested. The fatigue is a recent occurrence(well I've had it before but had thyroid and hormone issues causing it) so I don't think I've suddenly developed apnea, I don't fit the profile and have not had anything suggesting it.

I only snore when I'm sick and congested. The fatigue is a recent occurrence(well I've had it before but had thyroid and hormone issues causing it) so I don't think I've suddenly developed apnea, I don't fit the profile and have not had anything suggesting it.

I figured when you said good sleep.

But Doctor Hive leaves no question unasked :D

Bill

• Like 2

Have you thought about ME/Chronic fatigue syndrome? Doctors are taking this condition a lot more seriously now and a lot of research is being done to understand it better. 

The critical question here is when you work-out, exercise, or are otherwise highly active do you feel better, or do you crash hard following exertion?

To me nothing here suggests CFS. It is not a subtle disease.

Bill

• Like 1

Can it be the allergy medication?

Claritin (and generic loratadine) makes me seriously depressed - I have no energy, no motivation. It took me a long time to find the correlation.

Zyrtec is slightly better, but also affects me. Allegra does not seem to cause the same issues

Switching allergy meds would be an easy inexpensive thing to try..

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

The critical question here is when you work-out, exercise, or are otherwise highly active do you feel better, or do you crash hard following exertion?

Bill

These days I can't handle hard exertion. I had heavy exertion a month or so ago (dd was injured and I ran carrying her up a hill) and nearly passed out afterwards, then the next week I barely made it through a fairly moderate walk without having to stop and rest. The first was exacerbated by adrenaline of the situation and then with the second it seems my blood sugar bottomed out, at least it felt that way so I've lowered carbs/sugar and seem to be more steady but I don't trust my body could do any kind of intense activity at this point. I did 3 hrs hiking the other day, rugged terrain but only 3 miles at a fairly slow pace with lots of breaks. I did not feel invigorated, more like I made it through.

Check into magnesium deficiency.  Most of the population is deficient because our food is lacking magnesium.  There are 700 - 800 functions in our body that rely on this, but our diets don't provide the needed amount for these functions to work properly.

I have checked before, but not recently, I frequently supplement.

Have you thought about ME/Chronic fatigue syndrome? Doctors are taking this condition a lot more seriously now and a lot of research is being done to understand it better. 

No, I don't think I'm *that* tired, I can function I'm just not optimal, at reduced capacity.

Edited by soror

Can it be the allergy medication?

Claritin (and generic loratadine) makes me seriously depressed - I have no energy, no motivation. It took me a long time to find the correlation.

Zyrtec is slightly better, but also affects me. Allegra does not seem to cause the same issues

Switching allergy meds would be an easy inexpensive thing to try..

Well, as I said I don't think it is b/c I only take it sporadically and the fatigue has been pretty steady(I've been using it off and on for a couple of years and never noticed any fatigue with it before) but with the continued suggestion it doesn't hurt to try something else.

My Dd who'd had chronic fatigue was getting checked out at an allergist and they did that long skinny scope up her nose and saw that she had a chronic sinus infection. I guess when the sinus infection gets way up there the main symptom with these is fatigue. I was shocked b/c she's never had a fever and he said you don't usually get one with that type of sinus infection. 

With your aches, I'd also consider a rheumatic issue. Have you ever had an ANA panel done?? 

• Like 2

Yep...I think this is what it comes down to for me.  I'm on several allergy meds and just the allergies themselves are hell. 

Another idea to try OP is autoimmune. Maybe sleep apnea.  Hormones?  I don't know.  There are so many things it could be.

• Like 1

Could it be hormones?  I started going through menopause almost two years ago and have felt lousy ever since.  I am just exhausted all the time.  I just turned 50 last month and now it's affecting my workouts - I can barely get through them.  I also feel weak and shaky at times and my brain is usually foggy.  It's awful.  My doctor has run blood tests, but everything she's tested has come back normal so far.  It's so frustrating.  

• Like 1

Could it be hormones?  I started going through menopause almost two years ago and have felt lousy ever since.  I am just exhausted all the time.  I just turned 50 last month and now it's affecting my workouts - I can barely get through them.  I also feel weak and shaky at times and my brain is usually foggy.  It's awful.  My doctor has run blood tests, but everything she's tested has come back normal so far.  It's so frustrating.  

IDK, hormones were whacky after the baby but had been ok last few times I checked. But I probably do need to recheck.

Yep...I think this is what it comes down to for me.  I'm on several allergy meds and just the allergies themselves are hell. 

Another idea to try OP is autoimmune. Maybe sleep apnea.  Hormones?  I don't know.  There are so many things it could be.

My Dd who'd had chronic fatigue was getting checked out at an allergist and they did that long skinny scope up her nose and saw that she had a chronic sinus infection. I guess when the sinus infection gets way up there the main symptom with these is fatigue. I was shocked b/c she's never had a fever and he said you don't usually get one with that type of sinus infection. 

With your aches, I'd also consider a rheumatic issue. Have you ever had an ANA panel done?? 

I have thought about seeing an allergy doc, gah, I hate appointments.

I had an ana test done a few years back when I had an onset of fairly severe joint pain out of the blue, it came at 12, positive was 14+. Some say joint pain is just part of thyroid disease, I don't know.

These days I can't handle hard exertion. I had heavy exertion a month or so ago (dd was injured and I ran carrying her up a hill) and nearly passed out afterwards, then the next week I barely made it through a fairly moderate walk without having to stop and rest. The first was exacerbated by adrenaline of the situation and then with the second it seems my blood sugar bottomed out, at least it felt that way so I've lowered carbs/sugar and seem to be more steady but I don't trust my body could do any kind of intense activity at this point. I did 3 hrs hiking the other day, rugged terrain but only 3 miles at a fairly slow pace with lots of breaks. I did not feel invigorated, more like I made it through.

Still doesn't sound like CFS/ME. Good thing.

With that syndrome/disease, there is a condition called PEM (post-exertional malaise) that people with CFS/ME experience after exercise and activity that far exceeds just feeling tired.

It involves a crash that usually starts 24 to 48 hours after-the-fact that is generally debilitating and can go on for days and days. 

It sounds like you are more tired in the moment as opposed to going into a multi-day post-exertional crash?

More like simple fatigue. Not that any sort of fatigue is pleasant. But CFS/ME is another kettle of fish.

Bill

• Like 1

Bill

I thought there were those who suffered severely with ME/CFS and those who are less severely affected. (Don't really know much about it beyond what I've heard from some acquaintances and a few articles when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me.) An acquaintance of mine can handle some light to moderate exercise but anything beyond that and she cannot function for quite a while, while an old friend of my mother's was basically bedridden and exercise was out of the question. 

• Like 1

I thought there were those who suffered severely with ME/CFS and those who are less severely affected. (Don't really know much about it beyond what I've heard from some acquaintances and a few articles when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me.) An acquaintance of mine can handle some light to moderate exercise but anything beyond that and she cannot function for quite a while, while an old friend of my mother's was basically bedridden and exercise was out of the question. 

While this is true, to a point, "less severely affected" is still pretty bad. These folks can get out of bed and have sort-of-a-life, but it is different than just feeling one has lost their mojo.

With PEM (really coming to be recognized as the distinguishing symptom of CFS/ME) overdoing exercise can send "less severely affected" people to bed with a crash. For severe cases, just daily grooming type activities can do it.

If you have a friend with CFS, know they are carrying a very heavy load.

Plus it typically starts with a strong virus-like illness. I don't think this is what Soror is dealing with (and thank goodness).

A very reasonable thing to ask about, however.

Bill

• Like 1

Allergies - for me both the cause and the cure make me feel wiped out.

I haven't read all the replies - what about simple dehydration? That can make you feel spent. I know the older I've gotten, the more sure I need to be that I'm getting enough water.

• Like 1

I would say that allergies can absolutely zap you of all energy. I have both seasonal and food allergies and one of the first signs of an anaphylactic reaction for me is the inability to keep my eyes open that borders on narcolepsy. I know you aren't talking about that kind of sleepiness or lack of energy but once I started seeing an allergist and pinpointing my exact allergies, there was a definite difference for the better in my day to day energy levels.

I carry an Epipen now and have to avoid a lot of foods due to tomato and shellfish allergies. I have to take Zyrtec once daily and I can take an additional one per day plus Benedryl as needed for reactions that breakthrough but are not an ana[hylactic reaction warranting use of the Epipen. During the height of seasonal allergy seasons, I'm typically taking all the Zyrtec and Benedryl I'm allowed to take.

All that to say, it couldn't hurt to look further into allergies if nothing else is turning up to explain the fatigue.

• Like 3

Oh, pregnant ? Or, not to freak you out because unlikely (but possible), heart issues ?

Nope, I've tested just to make sure, even though I've had my period.

I would say that allergies can absolutely zap you of all energy. I have both seasonal and food allergies and one of the first signs of an anaphylactic reaction for me is the inability to keep my eyes open that borders on narcolepsy. I know you aren't talking about that kind of sleepiness or lack of energy but once I started seeing an allergist and pinpointing my exact allergies, there was a definite difference for the better in my day to day energy levels.

I carry an Epipen now and have to avoid a lot of foods due to tomato and shellfish allergies. I have to take Zyrtec once daily and I can take an additional one per day plus Benedryl as needed for reactions that breakthrough but are not an ana[hylactic reaction warranting use of the Epipen. During the height of seasonal allergy seasons, I'm typically taking all the Zyrtec and Benedryl I'm allowed to take.

All that to say, it couldn't hurt to look further into allergies if nothing else is turning up to explain the fatigue.

Man, I really think it would be worthwhile to do testing, I just wish it wasn't so much money, sigh.

Sleep - enough ? Quality ? Sleep study ? Sleep is decent. I slept 8 hrs last night, some nights are meh (especially at different times in my cycle) but overall sleep is ok, I go to bed early and wake up on my own. 

Vit D - levels/supplement ? Good levels and I supplement.

Depression ? Not really.

Fighting off a virus or other infection ? I hope not, it has been weeks now.

Literally having done too much and needing a period of rest ? I am resting when I can.

Anemia ? Iron and B12 are good.

Allergies, sure. Especially if your sleep is disrupted. If the fatigue comes with a helping of wooly thinking, yes. 

Hormonal ? Peri ? I seem to get moderate fatigue for a few days during my cycle now. Can only put it down to hormonal changes. 

Yes, it is worse around certain times but this has been weeks now, through 2 periods at this point, my hormones were ok last I checked but I need to recheck.

Prolonged stress ? Adrenals ? I have had too much stress, lots of sh*t going on, my downturn was preceeded by a really stressful night and then I started my period, it was a bad combo b/c the first days of my period can zap me, I spent that weekend on the couch, I've improved from there but I am still far from where I was. Since then I've had a few more really stressful days, some is Fil's  cancer which I can't control, that is a huge stressful roller coaster. Some of it is relationships- one I decided to just ignore it b/c trying to deal with it was too much, the other I told the person I wouldn't engage in those conversations anymore b/c I couldn't take the stress of it anymore, it was making me feel physically ill. So, part is definitely stress, I just don't know how much.

Allergies - for me both the cause and the cure make me feel wiped out.

I haven't read all the replies - what about simple dehydration? That can make you feel spent. I know the older I've gotten, the more sure I need to be that I'm getting enough water.

No, I don't believe it is dehydration it has been 6 wks now, although making sure I drink enough is a good point.

While this is true, to a point, "less severely affected" is still pretty bad. These folks can get out of bed and have sort-of-a-life, but it is different than just feeling one has lost their mojo.

With PEM (really coming to be recognized as the distinguishing symptom of CFS/ME) overdoing exercise can send "less severely affected" people to bed with a crash. For severe cases, just daily grooming type activities can do it.

If you have a friend with CFS, know they are carrying a very heavy load.

Plus it typically starts with a strong virus-like illness. I don't think this is what Soror is dealing with (and thank goodness).

A very reasonable thing to ask about, however.

Bill

I agree with you, I do not believe it is Chronic Fatigue, I am not that bad off. I've been way more fatigued with thryoid stuff in the past, I know it can get much worse. I know my energy level is not normal now but as I said I can function. I can't do all the things I'm used to doing and it is frustrating. Before our hike on Sat. I was worried I wouldn't make it through but I did, so that is a good sign, the pace was pretty slow though, I rested before and after. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

One of my (adult) dd's has extreme fatigue in the fall.  She also has allergies in the fall.  Even if her allergies feel under control, she still has the fatigue.  Once fall is done, her energy returns.  She hasn't really figured out how to deal with the fatigue, but at least she knows what causes it and that it's only seasonal.

• Like 1

One of my (adult) dd's has extreme fatigue in the fall.  She also has allergies in the fall.  Even if her allergies feel under control, she still has the fatigue.  Once fall is done, her energy returns.  She hasn't really figured out how to deal with the fatigue, but at least she knows what causes it and that it's only seasonal.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I just figured out that fall was an issue, I don't think it was before this baby so I'd been assuming it was just a thyroid thing, for some reason but last I checked my labs were good (I'm going to recheck though to make sure they are still good), that makes me think it has to do with seasonal allergies but that is depressing that even treating the allergies she is still tired.

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I just figured out that fall was an issue, I don't think it was before this baby so I'd been assuming it was just a thyroid thing, for some reason but last I checked my labs were good (I'm going to recheck though to make sure they are still good), that makes me think it has to do with seasonal allergies but that is depressing that even treating the allergies she is still tired.

On the other hand, she has really only self-treated with over-the-counter meds since she has been back in our part of the country where her allergies are more active.  Perhaps under a doctor's care, she would find something that helped.

• Like 1

I agree with you, I do not believe it is Chronic Fatigue, I am not that bad off. I've been way more fatigued with thryoid stuff in the past, I know it can get much worse. I know my energy level is not normal now but as I said I can function. I can't do all the things I'm used to doing and it is frustrating. Before our hike on Sat. I was worried I wouldn't make it through but I did, so that is a good sign, the pace was pretty slow though, I rested before and after. 

To beat a dead horse (because why not? :D) if one is experiencing "simple" fatigue the concern is making it through "the hike." One might be very tired in the moment--no fun--but one recovers.

For those with CFS "the hike" might (more or less) be a huge challenge (or even impossible), but what they are really concerned about is what happens the next day or the days after are going to look like, and whether "the hike" will put them into a bad crash. This is the "PEM" (post-exertional malaise) I mentioned earlier.  

Since there is no real cure for CFS/ME and the mechanism is still mysterious and it is often incapacitating, be happy that your fatigue may well be fixable and due to a problem current medical science and good living can overcome.

No kind of fatigue is fun. I hope you get to the bottom of the problems soon!

Best,

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

On the other hand, she has really only self-treated with over-the-counter meds since she has been back in our part of the country where her allergies are more active.  Perhaps under a doctor's care, she would find something that helped.

That is true and I've only done OTC stuff as well. I didn't take any Claritin today and am trying to limit being outside. I'm going to try and keep from the Claritin and see what happens but I've got a camping trip in the middle of the woods this weekend so I'll likely have to take something then. I'm trying to be more dilligent with my honey(from our bees in our yard) as that seems to help too.

To beat a dead horse (because why not? :D) if one is experiencing "simple" fatigue the concern is making it through "the hike." One might be very tired in the moment--no fun--but one recovers.

For those with CFS "the hike" might (more or less) be a huge challenge (or even impossible), but what they are really concerned about is what happens the next day or the days after are going to look like, and whether "the hike" will put them into a bad crash. This is the "PEM" (post-exertional malaise) I mentioned earlier.  

Since there is no real cure for CFS/ME and the mechanism is still mysterious and it is often incapacitating, be happy that your fatigue may well be fixable and due to a problem current medical science and good living can overcome.

No kind of fatigue is fun. I hope you get to the bottom of the problems soon!

Best,

Bill

Yes, Bill, I know I have it lucky there are so many that have it much worse and I hope I haven't trivialized their experiences. On the one hand I know that, on the other I know I'm not feeling the best right now and if there is a way to fix it (especially when my energy level was so much better just back in August) I'd like to see if I can figure out why.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Yes, Bill, I know I have it lucky there are so many that have it much worse and I hope I haven't trivialized their experiences. On the one hand I know that, on the other I know I'm not feeling the best right now and if there is a way to fix it (especially when my energy level was so much better just back in August) I'd like to see if I can figure out why.

I truly hope I didn't give you the impression that I felt you were trivializing people who are dealing with CFS/ME. Not a bit!

Crushing fatigue (or even near-crushing fatigue) isn't trivial, no matter what's behind it.

My hope was to give you encouragement, as I don't think you have CFS based on what you've written and that's a good thing because medical science still has no real answers to help people with CFS. 

You fatigue certainly isn't trivial. What it is, hopefully, is treatable. 

Smart of you to look for answers, including consulting with Dr Hive. 

Big hugs!

Bill

• Like 1

I had a consult with my NP (out of the func. med clinic). We are testing a bunch of stuff and see if anything shows up. 

We both believe that there is something going on in addition to the thyroid, which is disappointing, to say the least. We've really been working on getting it lined out, testing and tweaking my dose. We are retesting it just to be sure but my last thyroid labs were 1 month ago Fri. and I've not changed my dose, we'll see. 

We are doing a Lyme test, I've had 100s of tick bites in my life and live in an area with Lyme. A friend actually visited me this summer and came down with Lyme from a tick bite at my house, seriously. Anyway, I should have already tested but I find the whole Lyme thing confusing. However, it is only a Quest test which is not the best I know but it is free test for me so I thought it doesn't hurt to see what it says.

We are doing another ANA profile, although I don't think that is a primary concern but with the joint pain along with other auto-immune diseases, it is good to check.

I do really think a trip to the allergist would be worthwhile but that is significant OOP whereas bloodtests are free for me. I do have the house closed off (to my dismay) and am trying out some different things to see if they help.

I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide if I should do another adrenal test, I believe that is playing a component but again it costs money.

I've got a camping trip this weekend that I'm nervous about, we're not doing anything super strenuous but it will be a long weekend with less than optimal sleep, I hope I have enough spunk and adrenal to get me through. I've been taking it easy this week in preparation, hopefully, I can even get in a nap before I have to leave Friday!  This is the biggest thing I've done since I started feeling icky.

I truly hope I didn't give you the impression that I felt you were trivializing people who are dealing with CFS/ME. Not a bit!

Crushing fatigue (or even near-crushing fatigue) isn't trivial, no matter what's behind it.

My hope was to give you encouragement, as I don't think you have CFS based on what you've written and that's a good thing because medical science still has no real answers to help people with CFS. 

You fatigue certainly isn't trivial. What it is, hopefully, is treatable. 

Smart of you to look for answers, including consulting with Dr Hive. 

Big hugs!

Bill

Thank you Bill!

• Like 1

Is it possibly diet related? I've recently cut out most sugars and carbs, and I have a lot more energy (seemingly impossible but truly as a result of it). I'm not super low carb, but I try to keep meals about 40 gm carbs or lower, and less than about 100 for the day. It's really helped my energy, tiredness, etc.

• Like 1

Is it possibly diet related? I've recently cut out most sugars and carbs, and I have a lot more energy (seemingly impossible but truly as a result of it). I'm not super low carb, but I try to keep meals about 40 gm carbs or lower, and less than about 100 for the day. It's really helped my energy, tiredness, etc.

No, I don't think that is it. My carb intake was up but I'd lowered it back down. My levels right now are about the same as what your eating. 

• Like 1

That is true and I've only done OTC stuff as well. I didn't take any Claritin today and am trying to limit being outside. I'm going to try and keep from the Claritin and see what happens but I've got a camping trip in the middle of the woods this weekend so I'll likely have to take something then. I'm trying to be more dilligent with my honey(from our bees in our yard) as that seems to help too.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever suffered with asthma in the past?

• Like 1

Nope, not now or as a kid. I had pneumonia last fall fwiw (not sure where your question was going).

I was wondering about the asthma because my dd who has the fall allergies and fatigue had asthma as a child and also pneumonia a couple of times.  She really doesn't have much of a problem with the asthma anymore, but I do wonder if part of the extreme fatigue she feels in the fall during her allergy season is because her lungs are having to work a little harder, either due to past health conditions or some underlying mild asthma.

• Like 2

Nm.  Already posted.

My thyroid is optimal (RT3,  FT4, and FT3, vit d, iron, and b12 are good.

I just don't have much spunk. Thankfully, I don't need to be on the couch all day but my endurance is shot. I can't do anything requiring a burst of energy. I was thinking I might need to recheck my adrenals. I don't know what else. The other thing is I often struggle in the Fall(usually my energy is not this bad until later in the season), I had thought it was just a thyroid thing but I just checked it and it was good, so can allergies cause fatigue and lack of endurance? I take claritin here and there and it clears up the congestion and itchy eyes, with the congestion and itchyness gone I thought the allergy was taken care of, if fatigue is from allergies is there a med to address it? 

Edited by reefgazer

My very first thought, right off the bat, is seasonal depression. Have you ever been assessed for this? I know you say "not really" upthread, but sometimes depression presents... well, like this. Fatigue. Weakness. Less energy. (Also trouble concentrating, but you didn't mention that.)

And yeah, there's the part where you feel depressed and/or irritable and/or over-emotional... but it's possible for that part to be relatively mild, such that you don't even register it in comparison to the physical symptoms - especially when you have an external source of stress already, like a relative's severe illness. (Or, alternatively, it's possible that you have a chronic case of dysthemia, and like many people with "mild depression" you're so used to it that you think it's normal... like how people who need glasses or hearing aids often don't realize that there's anything wrong with their senses.)

If this is happening every fall and winter, that's where I'll put my money. Bring it up with the doctor.

(Of course, full disclaimer, I get SAD. And like probably every human on the planet, I am inclined to project my own experiences onto others. You should still bring it up with the doctor. What can it hurt?)

• Like 1

My very first thought, right off the bat, is seasonal depression. Have you ever been assessed for this? I know you say "not really" upthread, but sometimes depression presents... well, like this. Fatigue. Weakness. Less energy. (Also trouble concentrating, but you didn't mention that.)

And yeah, there's the part where you feel depressed and/or irritable and/or over-emotional... but it's possible for that part to be relatively mild, such that you don't even register it in comparison to the physical symptoms - especially when you have an external source of stress already, like a relative's severe illness. (Or, alternatively, it's possible that you have a chronic case of dysthemia, and like many people with "mild depression" you're so used to it that you think it's normal... like how people who need glasses or hearing aids often don't realize that there's anything wrong with their senses.)

If this is happening every fall and winter, that's where I'll put my money. Bring it up with the doctor.

(Of course, full disclaimer, I get SAD. And like probably every human on the planet, I am inclined to project my own experiences onto others. You should still bring it up with the doctor. What can it hurt?)

Actually, I feel the absolute best in high winter, typically. I'm not familiar with a SAD that is just in Fall?? Does that exist?? 

Have they checked for mono?

We are checking for it now.

Did you experience an episode of acute stomach pain for a few days at the onset?

I had such an experience (while traveling, of course, without access to doctors) that I believe was gall bladder related and I felt the way you describe for about 6 weeks afterwards. Since I was away from home for so long, I did all the self-help gall bladder stuff and completely changed my diet, and over time, felt completely better. But it started with severe stomach pain in a specific loaction, a strong headache, and a high fever which abated over a few days. I just felt completely out of it after that for a number of weeks.

Or mono. That would do it, too. 

Emily

• Like 1

In my aunt and cousin, it was a parasite they got when swimming in a pond. My aunt and cousin got it but the younger cousins didn't, even though they were all swimming.

Emily

I missed this before- I thought about a stool test to check to see if I had anything weird, although the thought is unpleasant at best!!

Did you experience an episode of acute stomach pain for a few days at the onset?

I had such an experience (while traveling, of course, without access to doctors) that I believe was gall bladder related and I felt the way you describe for about 6 weeks afterwards. Since I was away from home for so long, I did all the self-help gall bladder stuff and completely changed my diet, and over time, felt completely better. But it started with severe stomach pain in a specific loaction, a strong headache, and a high fever which abated over a few days. I just felt completely out of it after that for a number of weeks.

Or mono. That would do it, too. 

Emily

Heck, I can't remember, I've been having digestion issues off and on, especially since I had a wicked stomach bug in July. I think that was a bug though because other family members had it too, although I was the luckiest! I had a wretched time with fat absorption after that.

I missed this before- I thought about a stool test to check to see if I had anything weird, although the thought is unpleasant at best!!

Heck, I can't remember, I've been having digestion issues off and on, especially since I had a wicked stomach bug in July. I think that was a bug though because other family members had it too, although I was the luckiest! I had a wretched time with fat absorption after that.

This could still be a parasite that the others successfully fought off but that you haven't. 

Emily

• Like 1

Actually, I feel the absolute best in high winter, typically. I'm not familiar with a SAD that is just in Fall?? Does that exist??

I haven't heard of it, and I admit, if this is the case then SAD is sounding less likely... but I could be wrong on that. There are all sorts of counterintuitive things when it comes to the mind and body, so maybe there is such a thing as SAD that exists in fall but clears up in winter.

• Like 1