Menu

An African-American President...

I am hoping now that "it" is all said and done, (it being the election) this is no longer a taboo subject...

We are doing Sonlight Core 4 right now, specifically the tail end of the Civil War and Lincoln's address of slavery.

My son, age 10 is awed that HE gets to see "a black man become president of the US." I agree. This wasn't something I thought the United States would do in my lifetime!!

Is anyone else addressing this historic event in their school? If so, what are you focusing on?

Kris, who did not vote Democratic but can be proud of the US anyway

I've just been explaining to my DS why this is so significant. He who is used to a society where everyone is and has always been equal to understand why a black man in office in the US is so significant. Tonight I wished that we had done Early Modern this year!

There are 3 areas that we are focusing on;

1. Respecting the office of the president no matter who holds it and if we agree with them or not! We will pray that God will bless the Obama family and give wisdom to Barack Obama.

2. And most importantly that maybe having a black president will heal some of the deep racial wounds in this nation and perhaps this is what God is doing right now. If this is what God is doing then it is a major blessing for this nation.

3. Both dh and I have brothers who are married to black women and we have nephews and a niece who are black. So we have been talking with our sons that Barack Obama as president is good for all of us because of the barrier it breaks but it is especially good for the cousins and their futures. That it is a dream come true for a very noble man Dr. King and our nation, we will look at what that means for us and for our extended family.

beautiful:

"And so it came to pass that on Nov. 4, 2008, shortly after 11 p.m. Eastern time, the American Civil War ended, as a black man — Barack Hussein Obama — won enough electoral votes to become president of the United States.

A civil war that, in many ways, began at Bull Run, Virginia, on July 21, 1861, ended 147 years later via a ballot box in the very same state. For nothing more symbolically illustrated the final chapter of America’s Civil War than the fact that the Commonwealth of Virginia — the state that once exalted slavery and whose secession from the Union in 1861 gave the Confederacy both strategic weight and its commanding general — voted Democratic, thus assuring that Barack Obama would become the 44th president of the United States."

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I think it will be good to have black children and a black wife as our first family. I am looking forward to photos of the children in the rose garden. In fact as the night wares on I am darn proud that we will have a black family in our White House.

Oh, I didn't even think about the children!!

I think children in the White House is WONDERFUL!! I look forward to seeing how these children adapt to living there! What a wonderful role model!

Kris

I think children in the White House is WONDERFUL!! I look forward to seeing how these children adapt to living there! What a wonderful role model!

Kris

Well, ya know, I was wondering if they would be at the Easter Egg hunt and wouldn't it be nice to see Christmas photos with children in the White House. His girls are adorable especially the youngest imo. I think it is high time we saw kids playing on the White House lawns.

Kris

Do you think Mrs. Obama will homeschool their dc now? I highly doubt it, but.... public school? Private school? Private tutor?

Not that I'm (overly) protective of my dc ;), but I can't imagine sending them out of the White House with SS. I think it would make me nervous that the dc *needed* SS protection, ya know?

OTOH, I wonder what SS folks are going to volunteer for kid duty? It's kind of like a Disney flick....high-charging, steely-eyed, ready to shoot-and-kill, lay-down-their-life secret service men getting elementary school duty for 4 years. :)

Aggie

1. Respecting the office of the president no matter who holds it and if we agree with them or not! We will pray that God will bless the Obama family and give wisdom to Barack Obama.

My oldest son is more liberal than I. Back when he first decided that he didn't support President Bush's War in Iraq policies, I discussed with him the importance of respecting the office and the man while disagreeing with his policies. How hypocritical it would be for me to do any differently now.

I'm already dreading going to co-op today and to church tonight, because I know that others don't hold to the same principle. I need to make sure my boys are armed with the appropriate Scripture passages so that they may respectfully respond to friends who will be bashing.

I'm so excited that I am part of a United States that elected a black man as president....that so many people who 20 years ago wouldn't have voted this way (my mother!!) absolutely did move past biased beliefs to make the best choice possible to get our country out of this mess created by republican deregulation.

I look forward to the next 4 (and hopefully 8) years.

Katherine

There are 3 areas that we are focusing on;

2. And most importantly that maybe having a black president will heal some of the deep racial wounds in this nation and perhaps this is what God is doing right now. If this is what God is doing then it is a major blessing for this nation.

3. Both dh and I have brothers who are married to black women and we have nephews and a niece who are black. So we have been talking with our sons that Barack Obama as president is good for all of us because of the barrier it breaks but it is especially good for the cousins and their futures. That it is a dream come true for a very noble man Dr. King and our nation, we will look at what that means for us and for our extended family.

I like what you said. Good points!! I have been signed up for Presidential Prayer Team for a while. This a.m. I received an e-mail from them to sign up for 77 days of prayer for the new president. I have signed us up, and that, combined with our U.S. history studies this year, are ways I'm going to use this election to teach my children. As much as we were rooting for the other guy, this is our new president, and I plan to teach my children to honor the person holding that position.

Our country has definitely come a long way since the days of slavery. While I am not a democrat and did not vote democratic, we are all Americans.

There haven't been kids in the white house since the Kennedy family...right? How neat that will be.

Amy Carter ring a bell?

Do you think Mrs. Obama will homeschool their dc now? I highly doubt it, but.... public school? Private school? Private tutor?

Not that I'm (overly) protective of my dc ;), but I can't imagine sending them out of the White House with SS. I think it would make me nervous that the dc *needed* SS protection, ya know?

Aggie

GW Bush's twin DD's had secret service. When he became president one of the girls' sorority house had to be modified to allow SS. When they were younger, SS had to explain why girls were caught drinking underage. It would be a really tough job. There is a funny kid flick called "First Kid" which gives us an opportunity to envision what it's like for the secret service.:bigear:

Amazing what can be done in ONE lifetime. It adds depth to "I have a dream..." Hard to fathom that only 50 years ago Jim Crow laws were in effect, and now we have a man who might've been relegated to the back of the bus to the highest office in the western world. American really is a tremendous place of opportunity.

While it wasn't my political party of choice, he is now our President-Elect and should be treated with the respect afforded the position. I pray he is able to break through the "aisle" in order to reunite our country.

ETA: DS,9, said, "Mom, we have a black man for president!" When I asked how that was important, he said "'cause he's from Chicago?" He doesn't see skin color as relevant--but one's hometown is of utmost importance :)

Edited by Tracey in TX

Even though I do not agree 100% with the democratic policies. I think Obama will make a great president and hopefully inspires many. He has a lot to work through and learn before he can start on his own agenda but he has a lot of support and experienced people behind him.

I am concerned however, that some may think they get a check in the mail as soon as he takes office. One lady yesterday said she will not have to worry about her mortgage or paying gas once Obama is president. I am not sure what she thinks he promised except health care for all, tax cuts, and hopefully college education. It will be an interesting 4 years to watch.

This event is very timely for us as we just finished our read aloud, Amos Fortune, Free Man, about an African-American man who is brought to America as a slave, works hard, earns his freedom and then is able to buy the freedom of several other slaves. He applies himself diligently, first as a weaver and then as a tanner, developing a reputation for producing a superior product. He also is able to buy 25 acres of land and provide a nice home for his family. We have been discussing for weeks the idea that when a person works hard and strives for excellence, he/she can accomplish much, regardless of skin color. Now, even though I do not support Obama's political views, I do appreciate the example of hard work and diligence he has set before us. I'm hopeful that my children will live in a society where a man's skin color is of no importance in determining what kind of individual he is - that people will be judged by their character, not by their physical attributes.

This is just the beginning though. We still have a long way to go. The real accomplishment will be when a person runs for/wins the presidency and no mention is ever made of race or skin color. When we can refer to him/her as "So-and-so, our President" instead of our African-American president we will have truly made some headway. It is when those labels cease to be used at all that we will have finally achieved the goal of racial equality.

The fact that Obama's race is being mentioned is, of course, understandable - no doubt about it. This really is an historical event and I suppose it is not possible at this juncture to keep his racial background out of it. I will be thrilled, though, when people are just people and race is no longer part of the discussion - that will be the real achievement.

My son was sooooo touched last night, watching President-Elect Obama speak to the crowd in Chicago, and watching Jesse Jackson and Oprah Winfrey in tears as he spoke. He commented that he couldn't imagine what it must be like to view this through the eyes of an African-American who had lived through the days of segregation and the civil rights movement.

As a friend of mine pointed out to me last night when we spoke about it...Jesse Jackson was standing next to Martin Luther King, Jr. when he was assassinated...and to witness Obama's victory last night --- wow. I can only imagine how sweet (and yet bittersweet) a victory it must be.

This event is very timely for us as we just finished our read aloud, Amos Fortune, Free Man, about an African-American man who is brought to America as a slave, works hard, earns his freedom and then is able to buy the freedom of several other slaves. He applies himself diligently, first as a weaver and then as a tanner, developing a reputation for producing a superior product. He also is able to buy 25 acres of land and provide a nice home for his family. We have been discussing for weeks the idea that when a person works hard and strives for excellence, he/she can accomplish much, regardless of skin color. Now, even though I do not support Obama's political views, I do appreciate the example of hard work and diligence he has set before us. I'm hopeful that my children will live in a society where a man's skin color is of no importance in determining what kind of individual he is - that people will be judged by their character, not by their physical attributes.

This is just the beginning though. We still have a long way to go. The real accomplishment will be when a person runs for/wins the presidency and no mention is ever made of race or skin color. When we can refer to him/her as "So-and-so, our President" instead of our African-American president we will have truly made some headway. It is when those labels cease to be used at all that we will have finally achieved the goal of racial equality.

The fact that Obama's race is being mentioned is, of course, understandable - no doubt about it. This really is an historical event and I suppose it is not possible at this juncture to keep his racial background out of it. I will be thrilled, though, when people are just people and race is no longer part of the discussion - that will be the real achievement.

:iagree:

This is so true.

I guess I am naive. Aside from a very small number of elderly family members, I have never witnessed anyone show regard for skin color. A person is a person is a person. Because I am aware that it must still exist somewhere because everyone says it does, I am glad to see this part of history. But because it seems as if surely we as a country have grown past racism by now.....I feel a bit sad that it is an issue. The color of his skin seems like a non-event and I wish it could be so.

But again, I realize I am probably very naive and am glad we're getting there.

My oldest son is more liberal than I. Back when he first decided that he didn't support President Bush's War in Iraq policies, I discussed with him the importance of respecting the office and the man while disagreeing with his policies. How hypocritical it would be for me to do any differently now.

I'm already dreading going to co-op today and to church tonight, because I know that others don't hold to the same principle. I need to make sure my boys are armed with the appropriate Scripture passages so that they may respectfully respond to friends who will be bashing.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I have a similar situation this afternoon.....do you have those passages already found? Would you mind sharing them with me?

Kris

I am chuckling as my 10 year old daughter bounces on my bed and wonders aloud at what breed of puppy the girls will choose!

And I think it is a little much to make those girls go to school today....what time did they get to bed last night? But the news reports that he is taking the girls to school this morning. Aw, Dad, let them sleep in.

Edited by Kelli in TN

My son asked....."If you get a tax cut that means you get more money back right?"...."does that mean I get more allowance under Obama?":lol: Um,:001_huh::glare: I guess so, since you put it that way. Gotta love the way these kids think.

Jesse Jackson was standing next to Martin Luther King, Jr. when he was assassinated...and to witness Obama's victory last night --- wow. I can only imagine how sweet (and yet bittersweet) a victory it must be.

WOW

Again, what one person can experience in a lifetime is sometimes beyond belief. Nobody could've anticipated this in 1865, or even 1965.

I was sad that Obama's grandmother passed away so soon before the election. One woman in San Antonio, TX, 92y/o, rode in an ambulance to polling place to ensure she could vote! Wanted to part of this historic event.

Speaking of books your children can read (recommend for over 13) but Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison is a wonderful insight into the struggles one faces through color....I wrote my senior term paper on it and it's always been in my top 5 books.

Tara

This is so true.

I guess I am naive. Aside from a very small number of elderly family members, I have never witnessed anyone show regard for skin color. A person is a person is a person. Because I am aware that it must still exist somewhere because everyone says it does, I am glad to see this part of history. But because it seems as if surely we as a country have grown past racism by now.....I feel a bit sad that it is an issue. The color of his skin seems like a non-event and I wish it could be so.

I feel the same way.....

I didn't grow up with the color mattering - people are/were people. (for the record - i grew up on the west coast)

For me personally, making such a huge deal of it - rather just having a person be an "American" continues to keep the walls up.

Anyway..... didn't want you to feel alone.

It adds depth to "I have a dream..." Hard to fathom that only 50 years ago Jim Crow laws were in effect, and now we have a man who might've been relegated to the back of the bus to the highest office in the western world. American really is a tremendous place of opportunity.

I just have to share a moment of awesome academic synergy.

It just so happens that my son has reached the chapter in English Prep that includes excerpts from "I have a dream" and other pieces addressing racism. We read the excertps of King's speech just last week, and now we have this.

I sat my son down and had him watch video of last night's speech. It was pretty cool.

I feel the same way.....

I didn't grow up with the color mattering - people are/were people. (for the record - i grew up on the west coast)

For me personally, making such a huge deal of it - rather just having a person be an "American" continues to keep the walls up.

How awesome to grow up that way (and fwiw, I think my kids are growing up that way). I grew up in a town where it very much mattered. I never, ever thought we'd see this day in my lifetime. I'm so very proud today.

margaret

This is so true.

Unfortunately, I have to say that we have NOT grown beyond racism, though I do recognize the progress that has been made.

I live every day with the reality of racism. I am white but I live in a predominantly African-American neighborhood in Chicago. I was a member at an inner-city African-American church for seven years. The church at which I am presently a member is 60% African-American. I have many friends who are African-American, including a handful that I would consider close friends (friends in whom I confide).

The reality is the racism is alive and well. African-American neighborhoods by and large get terrible services (mail, snow removal, garbage, etc.). The police DO profile and the police do NOT respond to problems in African-American neighborhoods. (No disrespect meant to the honest cops out there, including my own cop friend from college--I have unfortunately had personal experience with inadequate police response, as have friends in my neighborhood). I could unfortunately tell you many, many stories from my own experience and that of my circle of friends about how racism really is alive.

The saddest reality of racism for my family was when dh's extended relatives chose to cut off contact with us and dh's mother and sister because of our (mine and dh's) decision to live in an African-American neighborhood. It was terribly hurtful, and terrible things were said.

I rejoice that slavery is a thing of the distant past, and I rejoice in the hard won freedoms that African-Americans have achieved. With that rejoicing though, is the reality that people still are not understood to be equal, and therefore are not treated with equality.

Because while I agree that it will be a lovely day when we move beyond racial divides, I do think many studies show that prejudice is still a part of our daily life in very subtle ways.

And I laughed when I saw that your blog is called "White trash Mama" because I remember a black friend in college explaining that she has always been perplexed by the phrase "white trash." Why is the 'white' important, she wondered? She wondered whether the implication was that blacks are typically trashy but trashy whites have to be so identified?

It won't be public school because the student population can change daily with people moving in and out of the school's geographic area. The SS would go crazy trying to check on the background of individuals who suddenly appear to enroll in the school that on any given day.

They possibly will go to a private school just as Chelsie Clinton did. A private school is generally smaller and therefore it's easier to keep track of children and parents. They also rarely accept new children during the school year.

That many people voting yesterday grew up with "colored" drinking fountains and segregated schools. My parents were teenagers during the Brown v. Board of Education years, and a huge part of the electorate watched some pretty ugly racial incidents on the television. This was just a daily fact for them.

I think it will take a generation or two of real racial justice before those facts really fade into the background.

I feel the same way.....

This is how I was reared as well - as far as race issues go. I remember once when I lived on a Naval base in Hawaii hanging out with my friends at the Officer's club during the days in the summer. It was a very relaxed atmosphere - very few people were there so we older kids/teens treated the place as a youth center of sorts. There was a jukebox, pool tables and a bar where we could order sodas. The bartender, John, just happened to be a black man and we all became friends with him. Looking back I realize he must have been a very, very patient man to put up with us rowdy young 'uns.;)

We moved to Virginia (this was in the early 70's) and I met up with one of my friends from Hawaii who had also moved to Virginia. Her mother had a friend over for lunch one day and performed a little experiment on us. She called us into the living room and asked us to describe John to her friend. Well, we went on and on about what a great guy he was, how he was a real joker, kind to us Navy brats, someone we trusted, etc., but we never mentioned the fact that he was black. She sent us out of the room and we heard her say to her friend, "See, they just don't consider his skin color an issue." We realized then what she had been up to.

Won't it be nice when everyone just looks past the skin and considers the character instead? Although I realize the significance of the event and I realize that it is a historical milestone - really, I do - I have to say I am somewhat dismayed that such a big issue is being made of Obama's race. Can we just appreciate him for his diligence, sense of humor, and other character qualities (even if we don't agree with his politics)?

To be so concerned with his racial background seems to have missed the point of racial equality altogether. I mean, when has anyone ever used the phrase "caucasian president"?

I agree with you, yet I'm very hopeful that day may come soon. I don't get the impression that he was elected because he was black, though I'm positive some voted for him because of his race and others voted against him for that reason. Rather I think he was elected because of the combination of national and world events with his potential to be a good leader during these difficult times. That is why I'm hopeful.

I am pleased that for so many younger voters race really was a non-issue. I have to explain to my kids why it is a big deal for a black person to become president - which, in a way, is a good thing! I grew up with a grandma who was very prejudiced...my dad was a bit better...I hope I am better still...and my kids are more concerned about discrimination against people with disabilities than race.

After reading so many negative and disparaging remarks on my local homeschool board, your post has really made my day.

Thank you so much.

Because while I agree that it will be a lovely day when we move beyond racial divides, I do think many studies show that prejudice is still a part of our daily life in very subtle ways.

I do believe you. I just find it mind boggling. Like Strider's family ostracizing her because of the color of her neighbors' skin??? :001_huh: I cannot imagine running into that kind of thinking. Like I said, naive. Under-exposed?

And I laughed when I saw that your blog is called "White trash Mama" because I remember a black friend in college explaining that she has always been perplexed by the phrase "white trash." Why is the 'white' important, she wondered? She wondered whether the implication was that blacks are typically trashy but trashy whites have to be so identified?

:eek: I have never heard that phrase and thought anything about race! :eek: It never occurred to me! My friends used to joke that I had a "trailer trash" personality but switched to "white trash" because a lot of people live in trailers and might be offended if they heard that joke. :001_huh: Heck, I've seen some really nice trailers and would love to live in one.

Does anyone know the origin of the phrase? Please tell me it's not a race thing.

Regardless, I was already trying to switch over to http://proofbyexhaustion.blogspot.com/ But I still can't get the header right. The White Trash Mama title had a deep meaning for me, as strange as that may sound. But that lesson has been learned. That phase is complete and I'm contentedly pressing on to the next...."Therefore", the title of my new blog....as soon as I get the header fixed.

Edited by Jenn in Mo

It was a priviledge to talk to the kids about all the people running all over town yesterday with their election signs. We didn't stop and talk to the Republicans because there was no need. But watching the kids get that our president looks different from all the other past presidents hopefully will spark their imaginations and souls for a lifetime love of democracy. One of the local Dems held DD up on her shoulders and taught her the peace sign yesterday. DD was briefly confused why we were all signing "V" to each other but I think she gets it now. :)

Jen

Edited by Jennifer3141

I have to admit this is a day I never thought I'd see, and I'm delighted to have been proven wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, they go to private school now. I assume the Obamas will put them in private school in the D.C. area.
They do go to private school, the University of Chicago Laboratory School. IIRC the Obama's house in Chicago is practically next door to its campus.

I did not vote for Mr. Obama.

Nevertheless, I am very glad though that a black person has the opportunity to serve as President.

I work in a psychiatric hospital in the admissions dept. Weekly, I encounter wayward and troubled children. Some of these children are minorities. A lot of them are in foster care. Many of them do not personally know of any successful black men. Many of them have never seen their fathers. I'm hoping that many minorities will take notice and envision something different for their lives. I hope children will see that it is good to take your education seriously.

I'm glad that children will have a highly visible successful black man to look up to who is something other than a sports star or rapper. The sports' scholarships are out of reach for many of them.

Edited by Karen FL
Spelling

This is how I was reared as well - as far as race issues go. . . . "See, they just don't consider his skin color an issue." We realized then what she had been up to.

I had an interesting experience with something similar, myself. I was teaching Sunday school at my old church in NJ. The church as a whole was struggling with the question of why our denomination does not have a more diverse membership and was trying some different things to improve that. My teaching partner and I were asked at one point how many black kids we had in our class. We looked at each other and shrugged and said, "none." Only a few minutes later did we both realize that we had blown it. We had, I believe, three (which wasn't bad, since the entire class was fewer than 10 kids). What we realized when we talked about it was that neither of us had categorized the kids that way in our brains. We just thought of them as the individuals they were.

Won't it be nice when everyone just looks past the skin and considers the character instead? Although I realize the significance of the event and I realize that it is a historical milestone - really, I do - I have to say I am somewhat dismayed that such a big issue is being made of Obama's race. Can we just appreciate him for his diligence, sense of humor, and other character qualities (even if we don't agree with his politics)?

Well, I'm not sure it has to be either/or. I voted for Obama, and I would have done so no matter what the color of his skin, for many of the reasons you mentioned above. (And I would add his intelligence and thoughtfulness to your list.) On the other hand, I did not vote for McCain and would not have done so no matter what the color of his skin, because I disagree with him on too many fundamental issues.

However, none of that prevents me from being happy and proud of my country for not only electing this specific person, but for electing a person whose skin color would--only a short time ago, historically speaking--have prevented him from being elected, no matter how qualfied he was.

To be so concerned with his racial background seems to have missed the point of racial equality altogether. I mean, when has anyone ever used the phrase "caucasian president"?

I would argue that we find it unnecessary to specify "caucasian president," because that has always been a given. Just like we only say banana and "green banana," because the presumption is that bananas are yellow unless we say otherwise.

Which is exactly why this is a big deal.

Unfortunately, I have to say that we have NOT grown beyond racism, though I do recognize the progress that has been made.

I live every day with the reality of racism. I am white but I live in a predominantly African-American neighborhood in Chicago. I was a member at an inner-city African-American church for seven years. The church at which I am presently a member is 60% African-American. I have many friends who are African-American, including a handful that I would consider close friends (friends in whom I confide).

The reality is the racism is alive and well. African-American neighborhoods by and large get terrible services (mail, snow removal, garbage, etc.). The police DO profile and the police do NOT respond to problems in African-American neighborhoods. (No disrespect meant to the honest cops out there, including my own cop friend from college--I have unfortunately had personal experience with inadequate police response, as have friends in my neighborhood). I could unfortunately tell you many, many stories from my own experience and that of my circle of friends about how racism really is alive.

The saddest reality of racism for my family was when dh's extended relatives chose to cut off contact with us and dh's mother and sister because of our (mine and dh's) decision to live in an African-American neighborhood. It was terribly hurtful, and terrible things were said.

I rejoice that slavery is a thing of the distant past, and I rejoice in the hard won freedoms that African-Americans have achieved. With that rejoicing though, is the reality that people still are not understood to be equal, and therefore are not treated with equality.