Menu

Headed to Massachusetts and Maine for a week ....

milovany

Would anyone want to give some suggestions as to the route we should take and/or not-to-be-missed things to do?   One thing to keep in mind is that while we know we're going to be in the history belt of America, this is a milestone anniversary trip for dh and I and so we're more about relaxing, being together and seeing new things than visiting a bunch of history sites.  I do mention some history-related things below.  

Here's what we have going on:

We fly into Boston late at night on a weeknight and have an Airbnb near the airport. We pick up the rental car the next morning and currently have plans drive to south to Plymouth for a night.  But we're also toying with the idea of heading north instead.  We have a place on Old Orchard Beach, south of Portland, for four nights and we might head that direction instead to make it five nights.  Once there, we want to spend a couple days relaxing and enjoying that area, one day driving to see whatever fall colors we might be able to see on not-too-long of a drive, one day going to Portland to attend the Orthodox Church there and maybe go on a lighthouse tour (maybe on a boat), and then on our final day, we'll drive back to Boston, do some of the Freedom Trail, and attend game at Fenway in the evening (flying out the next morning).  

Specific questions:

1) If we do go north, and are open to driving a little bit that day, should we drive out to Concord, and then to the beach in Maine?  Or is there somewhere else in and around there that might be nice to visit on our way to the beach south of Portland?  Or should we just take a leisurely drive up the coast? (We'll be driving down the coast a week later, although not in a leisurely fashion).  OR should is stick with our original plan and head to Plymouth after all?

2) Any day trip ideas for seeing the fall colors?  (Or maybe that could happen during #1 above?) We're willing to drive up to two hours away for this.  Or are there other must-see things to do on a day trip 1-2 hours away from the place we'll be on the coast, half an hour south of Portland?  

3) How about our day in Portland ~ does the light house tour via boat sound good or would driving around on our own be better?  (We both love being on the water.)  Or is there something else we could/should consider doing?  I kind of wish there was a theater or music show or something similar that night but I haven't found anything yet.  

4) Suggestions on the Freedom Trail?  We won't want to do the whole thing.  I'm thinking Paul Revere's House, Old North Church and that area.  Would my husband especially like going out to Bunker Hill and seeing the things out there?  We will be walking/ubering/T'ing on this day.  The game at Fenway is at night.  

5) Oh, and is the Barking Crab restaurant worth all that experience wise, or would we do just as well saving some money and time and eating a lobster roll just about anywhere?  

Thank you for any thoughts/suggestions!  

Edited by milovany

- if you go out to Concord, go to Minuteman National Park and see the brief multimedia presentation at the visitor center.

- Bunker Hill - depends on how much you like history.  It's a brief stop.

- on our most recent trip, Google directions on my phone led us astray in Boston at least four times due to the overlapping decks of streets.

- we have a habit of eating at Legal Seafood at least once

have fun :)

The Freedom Trail is DENSE with stuff.  I'd suggest doing the whole thing.  

Then when you go out to Concord, consider visiting the Alcott house--if you're a Little Women fan you will recognize many features of it--and the Old North Bridge, one of the Lexington and Concord battle sites, and the Minute Man statue.  It's gorgeous there.  (Check whether the Alcott house is open--I think it's seasonal because unheated.)

When exactly are you going?

It's typical for the fall colors to peak in the White Mountains around now and for the next week or so.  They migrate with the temperatures.  The Burlington, Vermont to Stowe, Vermont (home of the actual Trapp family!) peak is usually pretty reliably seen the first full weekend in October, for instance.  If you're leaving soon, you can decide where to go based on the projections.

When you're in Maine, have fresh lobster.  And clams.  OMGosh.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I quoted you all in reverse order because I roll that way.  

I like Camden, Maine, but I don't know if you want to go that far. :)

Oh, looks nice.  Thank you!

Portsmouth NH is on your way. Good food and a fun town to roam around. Some historical places if you are interested.

Thanks for this, maybe lunch there that first day if we don't go to Plymouth. Maybe we'll get an Airbnb here for one night if the place we have booked in Maine can't accommodate us the first night of our trip.    

The Freedom Trail is DENSE with stuff.  I'd suggest doing the whole thing.  

Then when you go out to Concord, consider visiting the Alcott house--if you're a Little Women fan you will recognize many features of it--and the Old North Bridge, one of the Lexington and Concord battle sites, and the Minute Man statue.  It's gorgeous there.  (Check whether the Alcott house is open--I think it's seasonal because unheated.)

When exactly are you going?

It's typical for the fall colors to peak in the White Mountains around now and for the next week or so.  They migrate with the temperatures.  The Burlington, Vermont to Stowe, Vermont (home of the actual Trapp family!) peak is usually pretty reliably seen the first full weekend in October, for instance.  If you're leaving soon, you can decide where to go based on the projections.

When you're in Maine, have fresh lobster.  And clams.  OMGosh.

[Plugging ears about the Freedom Trail nanananana] ;)

I found this drive in the White Mountains and we're considering this, thank you! It'd be a five hour drive round trip, so we'd make it an entire day, but we like driving and sightseeing.  We'd probably do this instead of going to Concord.  And YES to fresh seafood.  Our Airbnb host is making a lobster dinner for our anniversary.   :)

- if you go out to Concord, go to Minuteman National Park and see the brief multimedia presentation at the visitor center.

- Bunker Hill - depends on how much you like history.  It's a brief stop.

- on our most recent trip, Google directions on my phone led us astray in Boston at least four times due to the overlapping decks of streets.

- we have a habit of eating at Legal Seafood at least once

have fun :)

These are all useful tips, probably Legal Seafood most of all.   :D  We won't be driving IN Boston, just picking up the car at the airport and moving out and away.  When we come back in for our last night, we're getting a place near the airport, and then using public or uber type transport to get around that day.  Thank you!  

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

If you do the drive, just enjoy it.  There's a wonderful book called Road Food that tracks good non-fast-food eats within 5  miles of a highway. That has been our guide for some of our trips and some of our greatest memories.

While I know you are not doing a "historical trip" I have to say that as an adult, I very much enjoyed the Freedom Trail--the whole thing--over 3 days.  Plymouth Plantation (autocorrect won't let me be traditional in my spelling) was good, but if I had to choose, I would go to Quincy and see the Adams Houses.  It was quite enlightening to me, the difference between those who came in Plymouth times (I could not do this) and the John Adams house (maybe I could have done this).  I liked the trip to Concord as well, partly for the drive.  Go see a cranberry bog if you can.  It's a hoot.  

My dh is from Maine and he could tell you more about what to do and see there.  But mostly, I would just enjoy the sights, taking in the drives.  

And be sure to eat in the North End in Boston.  The Main Street is a touristy area, but if you go one block off, you can find some truly excellent and neighborhood eats.  

I loved going to the Public Gardens.   The Swan Boats will be closed for the season, but the walking in the park is just wonderful.  

Have a great time.  I had a number of wonderful trips to Boston and the greater New England area in my life.  When ds and I started American History, I got so frustrated trying to describe it all to him that we took an 8 day field trip.  It was completely memorable, not just as a homeschool mom but as an adult who enjoyed every last minute of it.  

If I were to go with dh, I probably wouldn't do as much of the "educational" stuff, but I've left that stuff off the list anyway.  Seriously, though...I enjoyed the State House and the whole 9 yards.  Faneuil Hall.  The Market.  

We took as many kinds of transit as we could--I did not rent a car--and we took a boat, the subway, a bus, our feet, a taxi, ... I can't even remember it all now.  It was just a blast.  But we stayed pretty much in the Boston area, and did not go North on this trip . As dh is from Maine and my mom's sister and family from Boston, I have done a lot of Maine, NH, Vermont, and MA in my life.  All of it fondly remembered.

When will you be coming? We are in the mid coast of Maine and the colours are starting to get really nice. The weather is perfect in the 70s, 50s at night.

My 2 cents based on what you've said:

Skip Concord. Yeah, Minuteman park is neat and we like to hike there, but given your timeframe it might not be worth it. Also, skip Plymouth without hesitation. While Concord is a suburb, Plymouth is a pretty good distance the wrong direction, and the rock (assuming that's why you'd go) is about the saddest thing ever. Skip it and head up the coast instead.

Portsmouth makes a great place to lunch and walk around it. Charming, historical, funky. We've been known to drive down just for breakfast. ;). Take a stroll through Strawberry Banke if you have time, even if you don't do the tour. The buildings are fantastic.

Old Orchard Beach is a fun place! I'm not sure if the boardwalk is still open after Labor Day, but the beach is huge and beautiful. Most of the summer crowds have gone, but it feels busy you might adjacent Ocean Park. It's just up the road but has a timeless sleepy feel, and the beach is usually quieter.

Portland has all kinds of whale watching, Casco bay, and lighthouse tours. LL Bean in Freeport offers paddle board and kayak classes and tours if that's your thing, too. The weather has been so great for being on the water. :). And of course Portlands Old Port and Commercial Street are fun to walk around. It's a foodie town so be ready to eat and drink well. :)

Definitely see Portland Head light. Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth is lovely also. It's fun to walk on the huge rocks overlooking the water, and there's a lobster house conveniently located there with picnic tables.

The mountains are gorgeous but it's quite a drive. Still, if you have all day, you might consider Mount Washington as a good destination. The colours should be spectacular.

Feel free to ask if you have questions. Enjoy your trip! :)

• Like 1

If you do part of the Freedom Trail, I'd suggest getting the app to go along with it.  It's rather helpful if you choose not to do a tour. You can start at Boston Common and go as far as you like that way.  Oh, and make sure to have cash - I think Paul Revere's house is something like $4/person and there are a few other spots that are pay or make a donation.  It's really not a long walk - there is a lot there but it's all fairly close together until you get towards the second cemetery.

Is there any way to see the whales without getting on a boat?  I get seasick, but would love to see the whales.  We're within driving distance of all of this (ME, NH, MA, VT, etc.), so can go to any spot suggested to see them.

Thanks.

Yes.  You can go to Provincetown (the tip of Cape Cod) to watch them in the spring. https://www.thoughtco.com/whale-watching-cape-cod-2292052

You may need a beach sticker (though they may not check until after Memorial day).  Each town sells day passes for beaches, though.

• Like 1

The Kancamagus Hwy you linked earlier is lovely. Depending on where you from though, it might not be worth the extra time. If you have already had a nice vantage point of the Appalachians in NC, TN, or VA, then you could skip it unless you wanted to see the foilage.

Mr. Washington which somebody mentioned earlier is very interesting. It's the windiest place on Earth. As you climb the summit, either by car or train, you notice the trees getting shorter and shorter until they disappear completely. It's been pretty calm there recently. I'm not sure it would be as fun without a nice wind. The drive up can be scary if you are afraid of heights. If you're not scared, it gives a wonderful view of the surrounding mountains.

mtwashingtonautoroad.com/status-we

• Like 1

Pssst...Legal Seafood is at Logan too. This allows you to have a last bowl of chowder after you pass through TSA at the airport.

I was going to say exactly this! Boston native, and I always get my clam chowder fix at Logan before heading back to the Midwest :)

Amy

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

I'm in Portland now visiting my dd!  Just took the train up from Boston yesterday (lovely route).  I'll let you know what I find out about good places to see around here.   :)

Approx. whenwill you be in this area?  I can see what's going on.

Edited by J-rap

I agree with skipping Concord and Plimoth. It is fun to see the Mayflower and the plantation but expensive and a ways in the wrong direction. You will see Bunker Hill from the high way when you drive north. And theOld North Church steeple. And the spars of the USS Constitution. If you aren't history buffs, I think there are better things to do. Like poke your way leisurely up the coast.

Agree about that Mt Washington Rd being scary if the weather is bad or you don't luke heights. The summit is often in clouds. The Kangamangus is lovely but will be a long drive in the car. We think it worth it but I don't know if others would. I know nothing about Old Orchard Beach except that it looks very different from the water than most Maine beaches. Much more built up.

In Maine, you could hit the candy store in York or Ogunquit for salt water taffy (if they are still open). Eat clams, mussels, and lobster stew at one of the many lobster shacks. Go on a whale watch. Take a sail on a schooner. Get blueberry muffins for breakfast. Visit lighthouses. Buy a canvas bag at LLBeans (I have lived a large chunk of my life out of these useful items). Skip rocks and look for lucky stones on one of the many pebble beaches. Watch the surf swoosh around the boulders on the rocky bits of coast. All good stuff. : )

Nan

• Like 2

The Green Bean Dockside restaurant at Wentworth by the Sea hotel in New Castle, NH (near Portsmouth NH and Kitterey Maine), is a lovely, reasonably priced place to eat dockside, but it seasonal and may be closed by the time you are there. 

The Ice House Restaurant in the same area has wonderful ice cream (I think it closes mid-October).

DH and I were in Kitterey for a week at the beginning of August.  We took a day and drove to Vermont--all the way to The Trapp Family Lodge.  It was a beautiful drive (I had not been to Vermont before).

When you are in Old Orchard, you are 15 minutes from a small, delightful nature preserve through a northeastern bog called Saco Heath. There is a flat boardwalk, very different and interesting trees and plants. It would make a nice half hour/hour walk. https://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/maine/placesweprotect/saco-heath-preserve.xml

You will also pass (30 minutes) Wells Reserve on your way to Old Orchard. It is an estuary research center with lovely trails. https://www.wellsreserve.org/visit/trails-beach

The spectacular Kancamagus Highway of the New Hampshire White Mountains is 1 hour and 45 minutes from Old Orchard (there is tourist traffic on Fridays and Saturdays so those days may take a little longer). Stunning mountain views and foliage, though it has just begun to turn in nearby Conway. http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 1

Thanks to you all!!  So many good ideas.  

Here's where things stand today based on feedback from here mostly:  Instead of Plymouth, we're heading north to see Portland Head Lighthouse and hopefully have lobster rolls at the Bite Into Maine foodtruck in that park.  Then to Westbrook for an overnight sleep before we do a five-hour loop that includes the Kanc (I was told this is how locals say it, LOL) the next day.  Then we'll hang out near our Old Orchard area Airbnb the next day, and maybe hit some sites in Saco. This is our flexible day.  The following day we'll visit the Orthodox church in Portland and maybe do the boat-based lighthouse tour.   I saw that "Billy Elliot" is at a theatre there that night but I don't know if I could talk my husband into that.  :) The next day is another hang out at the beach day at Old Orchard -- I will be working a few hours this day (online) so it'll be in and out around that area.  Finally, the next day we still go back into Boston for Freedom Trail stuff (not HUGE history buffs, so will just do a few things), having some more seafood (or other?) and then Fenway that night.  We fly out the next day.  

As if you're all interested in all those details, LOL, but I just finished figuring out the parts that had to be figured out so it's fresh in my head.  Thanks for helping me with this!  Any other suggestions / recommendations will be considered!  

• Like 2