Menu

PSA: Keep your eye on Hurricane Irma

Guinevere

People have gone insane here in Central Florida. Gas lines are long and water is sold out. For pete's sake, we're barely in the cone. Yes it could change but so far it doesn't look like it will. The high pressure system will keep it south of us. Be prepared of course. But freaking out thinking we'll take a direct hit shows how people are ignoring all sensible forecasts.

However, if I lived in the Keys or South Florida I'd be pretty worried right now. 

• Like 3

Dd and the grands live in south Florida (Port St. Lucie) so even though they are well prepped, I am of course nervous.  My dear sister lives near Tampa, and my nephew and his family live in Satellite Beach.  So a little bit of family all over Florida.  It's going to be a long week!

• Like 1

People have gone insane here in Central Florida. Gas lines are long and water is sold out. For pete's sake, we're barely in the cone. Yes it could change but so far it doesn't look like it will. The high pressure system will keep it south of us. Be prepared of course. But freaking out thinking we'll take a direct hit shows how people are ignoring all sensible forecasts.

However, if I lived in the Keys or South Florida I'd be pretty worried right now. 

It's because of Harvey. I've never seen Floridians prepare this far in advance of a storm but Harvey has everyone scared. It was like a realistic hurricane slap in the face.

• Like 5

It's because of Harvey. I've never seen Floridians prepare this far in advance of a storm but Harvey has everyone scared. It was like a realistic hurricane slap in the face.

Andrew hit closer to home. So did Wilma. And the 2004 season was like nothing I've seen in 48 years living in Florida (the overall season - there have been worse hurricanes than those 4). Those were all realistic hurricanes that hit Floridians head on. Also people don't seem to understand how different areas are affected by flooding. Houston's flooding has many reasons it happened besides Harvey. Hurricane Sandy was only a Cat 2 when it hit but the area it hit is very different geographically than the usual hurricane prone areas. Even Andrew, which was a Cat 5 when it hit (originally thought to be a 4 but upgraded to 5 after more study) with all the damage it caused, did not cause flooding like we've seen in Houston or even in New Orleans after Katrina.

I'm all for being prepared and I'm definitely not saying anyone should yawn about this storm. It's the insane panic that drives me, well, insane. 

• Like 6

I don't understand what you mean by "we're barely in the cone."  The forecast is still uncertain, but the storm is getting so large and models are pointing toward a whole Florida path.  

• Like 2

Andrew hit closer to home. So did Wilma. And the 2004 season was like nothing I've seen in 48 years living in Florida (the overall season - there have been worse hurricanes than those 4). Those were all realistic hurricanes that hit Floridians head on. Also people don't seem to understand how different areas are affected by flooding. Houston's flooding has many reasons it happened besides Harvey. Hurricane Sandy was only a Cat 2 when it hit but the area it hit is very different geographically than the usual hurricane prone areas. Even Andrew, which was a Cat 5 when it hit (originally thought to be a 4 but upgraded to 5 after more study) with all the damage it caused, did not cause flooding like we've seen in Houston or even in New Orleans after Katrina.

I'm all for being prepared and I'm definitely not saying anyone should yawn about this storm. It's the insane panic that drives me, well, insane. 

But flooding isn't the only hazard.  I live nowhere near the ocean.  Heck, I live over a mile from a small body of water and sit about 300' above it. Models show my house wouldn't have flooded in a Harvey storm. But Sandy blew most of the shingles off my roof, took trees down all over the place, and messed with all the power in the area.  I happened to be lucky with just a 24 hour outage in my immediate neighborhood. Others were out for days and weeks.

• Like 3

I don't understand what you mean by "we're barely in the cone."  The forecast is still uncertain, but the storm is getting so large and models are pointing toward a whole Florida path.  

We've had storms cover the entire state before - Florida isn't very wide. That doesn't mean the entire state will get the worst of it. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind how much the population has increased in south Florida since 2004 (a year I will never forget). Many of these people have never faced a hurricane and the images out of Texas and Louisiana probably are promoting them to early action. Also, even those in central FL may be thinking of last year's flooding in LA, where inland areas were inundated by a stalled tropical-like system. I'm no proponent of panic but I do think it is better to err on the side of caution.

• Like 2

Keep in mind how much the population has increased in south Florida since 2004 (a year I will never forget). Many of these people have never faced a hurricane and the images out of Texas and Louisiana probably are promoting them to early action. Also, even those in central FL may be thinking of last year's flooding in LA, where inland areas were inundated by a stalled tropical-like system. I'm no proponent of panic but I do think it is better to err on the side of caution.

I'm absolutely concerned about South Florida. I don't think they'll escape  major damage.  I've lived here 48 years. We've had a lot of rain events. Some areas do flood but not like in LA or Houston. People are insane here. Gas stations have run out of gas. Some places reported people showing up with several vehicles and 12 - TWELVE - gas cans. The grocery shelve are being cleared of everything. That's what's going on here. That's not preparation. That's just over the top. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

We've had storms cover the entire state before - Florida isn't very wide. That doesn't mean the entire state will get the worst of it. 

No the whole state won't get the worst of it but even if only a Category 1 goes over your part of the state you can expect electrical outages, road flooding, and downed trees. And really that's all I'm preparing for: the inability to leave the house for food, the inability to cook and to have no lights, no fridge and no A/C. Yuck.

ETA: I did get gas in case something worse heads our way and I need to get the animals evacuated.

Edited by slr1765

I live in S Georgia. Ds and I just got back from filling his car up (because he was on E, not thinking about the hurricane) and we had to wait forever. There were lines at this little four pump station. The people in front of us who we were waiting on were filling multiple gas cans. This is Georgia and the panic is hitting us, too.

All your hotels have been booked by Floridians. People are reporting no rooms available as far north as Atlanta and Athens.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I have to say, I'm really concerned with my mother moving to Titusville. I just don't know what's going to happen. And then there's this next storm Jose coming right afterward.

I'm starting to wish she hadn't bought into Florida at all. :(

:grouphug: Some years are worse than others. As long as she has a plan and will LEAVE rather than trying to ride out the storm and has good insurance, she will be ok.

• Like 3

I'm in Tampa, and people here are panicking too.   I made the mistake of pulling into the Sam's parking lot this afternoon (to get some other stuff, non-hurricane related, but if they had any, I would have picked up some D batteries).   The gas station had lines 4-5 cars deep.   People were walking into the store, then walking out empty handed.   It was such a zoo that I didn't even go inside.   It took 30+ minutes just to get OUT of the parking lot.

People have already cleared the shelves of bottled water (which won't go bad) and bread (which I'm assuming may go bad by the time we have any potential storm here, next Monday or Tuesday).   There are no C or D batteries to be found.   

I have lived in FL my entire life and I don't think I've seen this level of panic.   Personally, we are not in a flood zone, not in an evacuation zone, and the worst we could experience is a tree falling on the house, or (more probably) being without power for a while.

All your hotels have been booked by Floridians. People are reporting no rooms available as far north as Atlanta and Athens.

Yes, I grew up in South Florida and have friends trying to find pet-friendly hotels north of Orlando and...nothing.  

Latest projections are showing that it's quite possible Irma's eye will follow the gulf stream and impact the Carolinas.  

Edited by Kassia

I'm in Tampa, and people here are panicking too.   I made the mistake of pulling into the Sam's parking lot this afternoon (to get some other stuff, non-hurricane related, but if they had any, I would have picked up some D batteries).   The gas station had lines 4-5 cars deep.   People were walking into the store, then walking out empty handed.   It was such a zoo that I didn't even go inside.   It took 30+ minutes just to get OUT of the parking lot.

I stopped at Sam's today for gas too, because I was down to 1/4 of a tank not because I was panicking. It was ridiculous. There are 16 pumps and each one had at 3-4 cars. It was just crazy. A lot of local gas stations ran out of gas by mid-afternoon though they do expect to get more before the weekend. Also, if they're filling up now do they plan to not drive for the rest of the week? Are they going to fill up again? It doesn't make sense. People aren't making sense. I haven't attempted to go into a store.

People have already cleared the shelves of bottled water (which won't go bad) and bread (which I'm assuming may go bad by the time we have any potential storm here, next Monday or Tuesday).   There are no C or D batteries to be found.

I hear you about the bread. What are they even thinking buying it this far out? I suppose they could freeze it but I don't think people are thinking clearly. They're just grabbing stuff off the shelves.

I have lived in FL my entire life and I don't think I've seen this level of panic.   Personally, we are not in a flood zone, not in an evacuation zone, and the worst we could experience is a tree falling on the house, or (more probably) being without power for a while.

That's our position too, and the same for much of the area where I live. I'm on the east coast and not on a barrier island. We're pretty high dry (for Florida that is). I have seen this kind of panic before but not usually this early.

I get frustrated at those who evacuate when they'r not in an evacuation zone and are in a house that's strong enough to withstand the storm. They clog up the roadways and make it harder for the people who truly do need to evacuate, to be able to actually get out and to safety.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

So my mom called my former (and favorite lol) MIL yesterday morning to ask what she planned to do for Irma. She hadn't been paying attention and didn't know it was headed for the keys. She decided to make reservations to fly to Texas to stay with family and kept worrying about her orchids. She wanted to hang up and go transfer them all to her shed. My mom said, "I want you to be prepared because there is a very good chance you'll come back and won't have anything left. Pack up your photos and papers and anything that means something to you that you can carry because your house and your shed will probably wind up in the bay. Really, I wouldn't worry about the orchids."

This evening my mom saw her interviewed on the five o'clock news...she was in the process of transferring her orchids to the shed. #headdesk. But I adore that stubborn woman.

• Like 10

I have family on Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Key Largo, and Key West. I'm a nervous wreck this morning. My Key West family is taking their chances. I don't even know what to think about that. Everyone else is leaving Wednesday or Thursday to try to beat the mass exodus.

What?? I can't imagine staying in Key West. But then again...most people that live in Key West are less than orthodox in their thinking. (my aunt lived there for years)

I have family in Merrit Island (will evacuate if headed that way), St. Augustine (lost everything in Matthew, will evacuate), friends in West Palm where I grew up who are most likely staying put but well situated, and then my sister and I are in Orlando and will stay put. My sister works at a school that is a shelter and will go there if it is bad and I'll hunker down with boarded up windows, etc. 

But the keys look like they are going to get smacked hard. I can't imagine. Ft. Lauderdale is also iffy. Praying for your family. 

• Like 2

Agreed. We are so far inland, I can't imagine we are all going to get blown away. That said, we probably will lose power, so being prepared for that is good. Panicking is not. 

Also, the water thing is driving me crazy. I keep reminding people that you can put tap water into containers. You don't have to buy bottled water for all your needs. You can also drink selter/juice/soda/whatever. You are not going to die of thirst. Fill some pitchers, get a big 5 gallon drink cooler, whatever. 

• Like 5

I think it is partly Harvey and partly memories of Matthew and what happened to St. Augustine. At least, I think that is why my mom is being more reasonable this time. Last time she said she didn't have to worry about flooding because she's on a canal. Yeah, mom, that canal is connected to the ocean. You live on a barrier island. Ever hear of storm surge???

Matthew missed them, but hit my mom's sister's house in St. Augustine, and it was destroyed totally. So now Mom knows what storm surge is. 

• Like 2

Agreed. We are so far inland, I can't imagine we are all going to get blown away. That said, we probably will lose power, so being prepared for that is good. Panicking is not.

Also, the water thing is driving me crazy. I keep reminding people that you can put tap water into containers. You don't have to buy bottled water for all your needs. You can also drink selter/juice/soda/whatever. You are not going to die of thirst. Fill some pitchers, get a big 5 gallon drink cooler, whatever.

Did they not learn the fill-the-bathtub drill growing up?

"Time to fill the bathtubs!" That's when I knew my folks were getting serious.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 11

Yeah, we aren't in a flood prone area at all where we are. I think in general most areas around here have more drainage than Houston, and we aren't a bayou like New Orleans. I'm not worried about flooding. 

I DO worry about wind damage, but being as far inland as we are I expect it to weaken before it hits me. We will board up, as it doesn't take a lot of wind to throw a shingle or branch into a window. More out of worry of a kid being hit by debris than property damage. 

In 2004 I was without power for over a week, so we have food/propane/lanterns. But beyond that, it is what it is. 

Now, if I were on the coast in Miami, I'd be much more concerned. 

• Like 3

Did people forget "fill your bathtub" since I've moved away?

• Like 1

I think it is partly Harvey and partly memories of Matthew and what happened to St. Augustine. At least, I think that is why my mom is being more reasonable this time. Last time she said she didn't have to worry about flooding because she's on a canal. Yeah, mom, that canal is connected to the ocean. You live on a barrier island. Ever hear of storm surge???

Matthew missed them, but hit my mom's sister's house in St. Augustine, and it was destroyed totally. So now Mom knows what storm surge is.

Yep, I remember that. Glad to hear she has come around.

I like to have bottled drinks on hand (not just because of Irma) because I grew up on a well.  If we lost power we lost water.

ETA:  The drink cooler is a good idea, though.  I could fill it up when the winds start kicking up.

Edited by Junie

So my mom called my former (and favorite lol) MIL yesterday morning to ask what she planned to do for Irma. She hadn't been paying attention and didn't know it was headed for the keys. She decided to make reservations to fly to Texas to stay with family and kept worrying about her orchids. She wanted to hang up and go transfer them all to her shed. My mom said, "I want you to be prepared because there is a very good chance you'll come back and won't have anything left. Pack up your photos and papers and anything that means something to you that you can carry because your house and your shed will probably wind up in the bay. Really, I wouldn't worry about the orchids."

This evening my mom saw her interviewed on the five o'clock news...she was in the process of transferring her orchids to the shed. #headdesk. But I adore that stubborn woman.

Ha! My dad loves orchids too, and I have many memories of spending Hurricane prep time bringing them all into the house, lol. 

• Like 2

What?? I can't imagine staying in Key West. But then again...most people that live in Key West are less than orthodox in their thinking. (my aunt lived there for years)

I have family in Merrit Island (will evacuate if headed that way), St. Augustine (lost everything in Matthew, will evacuate), friends in West Palm where I grew up who are most likely staying put but well situated, and then my sister and I are in Orlando and will stay put. My sister works at a school that is a shelter and will go there if it is bad and I'll hunker down with boarded up windows, etc.

But the keys look like they are going to get smacked hard. I can't imagine. Ft. Lauderdale is also iffy. Praying for your family.

Thanks, yeah. They don't have kids. They have dogs and restaurants. The restaurants are their life, I guess. I would assume they'll open them as shelters if necessary. He's that kind of guy.

Yeah, I had that thought about the bread too. I did pick up some hot dog rolls, and found the ones with the longest dating on them. I'm having hamburger buns delivered via amazon later in the week. and have some bread in the fridge and a loaf on the counter. I am positive Publix will get more bread in before the storm hit's, I'm planning a run for that, milk, etc on Thurs or Friday. 

I trust Publix almost as much as God, lol. 

• Like 4

I'm absolutely concerned about South Florida. I don't think they'll escape  major damage.  I've lived here 48 years. We've had a lot of rain events. Some areas do flood but not like in LA or Houston. People are insane here. Gas stations have run out of gas. Some places reported people showing up with several vehicles and 12 - TWELVE - gas cans. The grocery shelve are being cleared of everything. That's what's going on here. That's not preparation. That's just over the top. 

Sounds like the craziness we have going on in San Antonio.

I know someone who is currently in St. Thomas.  Her vacation is not turning out the way she expected.

• Like 1

For me, it's the unknown. I'm originally from Philly. We're in the Tampa Bay Area, 5 miles from the beach along the Gulf. Yes, a non flood, non evacuation zone. But those winds! How will our 35 year windows hold up? Roof is newer, garage doors too hurricane rates. But not our windows and doors. And it's an L shape house, with the inside part of the L all windows/doors. Not a single room without a window. And 13 oak trees surrounding our home. So I am nervous. I don't really want to be here. Am I stupid to stay or stupid to go?! Rhetorical question- just my thoughts. GFS model goes up the East Coast. Euro model goes right over Tampa area.

I want to make sure my photos, papers, and the kids treasured items and stuffed animals stay safe. Along with us. DH doesn't think anything of it all. Sigh.

• Like 3

SWFL here...the house is boarded up and dh will make a decision about evacuating based On the morning models...but the camper is in the driveway ready to go just in case...

I grew up in FL so hurricanes are no bid deal to me...but even for me a cat 5 is another story... And on top of all of that...we lived in New Orleans for Katrina and suffered a total loss of our apartment....a little ptsd was already affecting everyone due to Harvey flooding in Houston and the flooding we had here last week.

I have no desire to go anywhere but I don't want to be foolish either...one of those times I take refuge in dh's comment: "good thing this is my decision to make." :lol:

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 4

Yeah, we aren't in a flood prone area at all where we are. I think in general most areas around here have more drainage than Houston, and we aren't a bayou like New Orleans. I'm not worried about flooding. 

I DO worry about wind damage, but being as far inland as we are I expect it to weaken before it hits me. We will board up, as it doesn't take a lot of wind to throw a shingle or branch into a window. More out of worry of a kid being hit by debris than property damage. 

In 2004 I was without power for over a week, so we have food/propane/lanterns. But beyond that, it is what it is. 

Now, if I were on the coast in Miami, I'd be much more concerned.

There are pockets that flood but yeah, we're not likely to see the kind of widespread flooding like Houston and NOLA. 

We'll wait until probably Thursday to decide if we should board up. We have hurricane shutters so we don't have to worry about buying those supplies.

In 2004 I remember driving to Orlando for (shopping? I don't recall the reason) weeks after Charley hit and I was surprised to see so much wind damage that far inland. Since it went west to east it was actually weaker when it hit us than when it hit you. I don't remember if it was during Charley or Frances but one of the local schools being used as a shelter lost its roof in the middle of the storm. Everyone managed to run over to another building while the eye was over them.

We lost power the longest from Charley, but only a short time from Frances and not at all from Jeanne. We have underground power lines but there were overhead lines and mature trees that lead to our neighborhood, so when they got knocked out we lost power. The trees were all removed by the time the other storms came. My brother was without power for two weeks from Frances and he lived only about 5 miles north of me at the time.

If I lived anywhere in the Keys or South Florida (either the east or west coast), I'd be securing my house and making plans to leave. ((Barb)) I hope your family members come to their senses and get to someplace safe (even if it's to a shelter but please ignore my comment above about the shelter losing a roof).

I don't get the bread and milk either. I don't buy much in good weather! But my cousin in Boston says this applies for hurricanes, too.

http://www.universalhub.com/french-toast?nocache=1

I don't know that the milk thing is big here because it's likely to go bad fast if you lose power. Bread is definitely one of the first things to go after water. I think people plan to eat PB&J if necessary.

I think it is partly Harvey and partly memories of Matthew and what happened to St. Augustine. A

Matthew is definitely still on people's minds and might even have more to do with the panicking than Harvey.

• Like 1

Did people forget "fill your bathtub" since I've moved away?

You don't hear that suggestion much anymore. I don't know why.

For me, it's the unknown. I'm originally from Philly. We're in the Tampa Bay Area, 5 miles from the beach along the Gulf. Yes, a non flood, non evacuation zone. But those winds! How will our 35 year windows hold up? Roof is newer, garage doors too hurricane rates. But not our windows and doors. And it's an L shape house, with the inside part of the L all windows/doors. Not a single room without a window. And 13 oak trees surrounding our home. So I am nervous. I don't really want to be here. Am I stupid to stay or stupid to go?! Rhetorical question- just my thoughts. GFS model goes up the East Coast. Euro model goes right over Tampa area.

I want to make sure my photos, papers, and the kids treasured items and stuffed animals stay safe. Along with us. DH doesn't think anything of it all. Sigh.

I would imagine it's scary if you're new to the state. FWIW our house (cinder block) is almost 50 years old (1969) and our windows are probably 35-40 years old. Just while we lived here since 2000 they've survived 5 hurricanes and numerous tropical storms. Do you have storm shutters or plywood? I'd definitely suggest boarding up depending on what we learn in the next day or so. If it's not something you can do yourself see if you can find a reputable company to hire. You're not crazy to stay. You're not crazy to go. Watch the weather reports closely. Make sure you pull in anything that can fly around (grill, outdoor furniture, potted plants, trash cans, etc.). Wait and see what your area expects and watch your local news people. They're going to sound the alarm probably more than necessary but they're really the best ones to keep you informed as opposed to national ones like The Weather Channel. If you're on facebook and your neighborhood has a fb page, join it and find out what others are doing. Also keep up with your city's fb page or website and even Twitter. 

SWFL here...the house is boarded up and dh will make a decision about evacuating based On the morning models...but the camper is in the driveway ready to go just in case...

I grew up in FL so hurricanes are no bid deal to me...but even for me a cat 5 is another story... And on top of all of that...we lived in New Orleans for Katrina and suffered a total loss of our apartment....a little ptsd was already affecting everyone due to Harvey flooding in Houston and the flooding we had here last week.

I have no desire to go anywhere but I don't want to be foolish either...one of those times I take refuge in dh's comment: "good thing this is my decision to make." :lol:

Stay safe everyone!

Yeah, we barely blink when it's Cat 1 or 2. Cat 3, we board up and hunker down (anyone lived here long enough to remember Jeb Bush and the hunker down drinking game? lol).. Anything higher than 3 and we're gone.

Stay safe!

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

You don't hear that suggestion much anymore. I don't know why.

I would imagine it's scary if you're new to the state. FWIW our house (cinder block) is almost 50 years old (1969) and our windows are probably 35-40 years old. Just while we lived here since 2000 they've survived 5 hurricanes and numerous tropical storms. Do you have storm shutters or plywood? I'd definitely suggest boarding up depending on what we learn in the next day or so. If it's not something you can do yourself see if you can find a reputable company to hire. You're not crazy to stay. You're not crazy to go. Watch the weather reports closely. Make sure you pull in anything that can fly around (grill, outdoor furniture, potted plants, trash cans, etc.). Wait and see what your area expects and watch your local news people. They're going to sound the alarm probably more than necessary but they're really the best ones to keep you informed as opposed to national ones like The Weather Channel. If you're on facebook and your neighborhood has a fb page, join it and find out what others are doing. Also keep up with your city's fb page or website and even Twitter. 

Yeah, we barely blink when it's Cat 1 or 2. Cat 3, we board up and hunker down (anyone lived here long enough to remember Jeb Bush and the hunker down drinking game? lol).. Anything higher than 3 and we're gone.

Stay safe!

I think that you don't hear of people filling their bathtubs because of the danger of little kids drowning.

I fill my washing machine instead.

• Like 2

I have to admit I'm glad my guy is in Jordan right now rather than his waterfront (or close to it) dorm in St Pete...

I have an aunt and uncle in Naples who are determined to ride it out though.  That could end up scary.  Time will tell.

Best wishes to ALL of you in the potential path.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

I just read on FB that Jim Cantore is here...though I can't verify it anywhere...if that is true, it may be enough to get me out!

Oh yeah if Jim Cantore is there it's time to bug out. 

My kids would be the weirdos who tracked him down to introduce themselves. They are 23 and 25...haha!

• Like 3

I just read on FB that Jim Cantore is here...though I can't verify it anywhere...if that is true, it may be enough to get me out!

I'd take it with a grain of salt. That was all over facebook during Matthew last year too. Where he was depended on who was posting. TWC finally posted on their page that he was still in the studio, and even showed live video of him.

• Like 1

Floridians are deluding themselves at least a little if they think they're too far inland to sustain any serious damage. Read about Hugo. Even the western piedmont and mountains of NC experienced substantial damage and they're hundreds of miles inland. We're 200 miles from the nearest beach and we lost power for three days and had substantial tree and structural damage. Of course significant damage that far inland isn't common. But (obviously) it does happen.

As far as bread -- If I were buying it this far out I'd put it in the freezer. If the storm hits and power goes out it'll still be fresh for days. 

• Like 14

Here's a trick for the milk: put a gallon or two in the freezer before the power goes out. Then when it does, you have this giant block of frozen milk that keeps everything cooler for awhile, and as it thaws you have cold milk to drink. 

Our power was out 11 days for Matthew. Dreading this one because while Matthew was October and not too too hot, it's the beginning of September. Hot and sticky--bleh!

Praying hot and sticky will be the worst of it. This is certainly a big one!

• Like 2