Menu

So Someone Used My Credit Card Last week...

Valley Girl

and attempted to make an online purchase with it. I discovered the charge on my statement as I was going over it last night. Fortunately, the retailer caught and reversed the charge the same day. I don't know who used it (the retailer, of course, won't say) or how the number was obtained. The bank has been notified and is issuing a new card.

I know this situation is all too common today. It's happened to me in the past. When it did, I filed all the appropriate reports. It was time-consuming. Now I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to do that again. Agencies don't have the resources to investigate every incident. I don't expect to get any information as to who the person is or how he/she got the number. The only benefit I can see to doing it is that maybe it will help establish a pattern that can be prosecuted down the line. In fact, it's because of that possibility that I will most likely go ahead and file the reports--police, FTC, store fraud department, credit agencies, etc. (The bank didn't tell me to do it although they're sending paperwork, which may say it's required. That's fine.)

But I'm wondering, for those who've been in similar situations, did you go the whole nine yards? Or did you just chalk it up to how things are today?

I usually just contact the bank and get a new card.

One time I did contact the police--someone had used my card # to pay for an expensive hotel room just a few miles from where I lived. I called the hotel and the police department for that city and they caught the people still checked into the room.

• Like 9

I just had this happen for the first time.  The bank caught one charge and blocked it and alerted me.  We cancelled that card and I was issued a new one.  That was all the happened until I checked my statement and saw they let another charge go through (it was $729 airline charge).  I called and, over the course of 6 weeks and many follow-up calls, they reversed the charge and I signed an affidavit so they could pursue it further.  What a pain in the butt!

This has happened to us a few times at least.

One was a few thousand dollars worth of groceries and gas in several small towns in Michigan....several states away from me. My credit card (maybe a Visa?) was great about it. I did not have to pay anything back. I called the police to file a report in those towns or at least try to get them to get the video footage of the purchases (the store did have them), but the police could not have cared less. The said it happens so often, they can't keep up. Apparently I would have had to be willing to go to court in person to press charges. So frustrating...no wonder this happens so often. 

The other purchases were my Kohl's charge, shipped to an address in California. No hassles with Kohl's. But I do find it odd that it occurred literally hours after I placed an online order with them, giving my number over the phone to the rep. 

This seems to happen to my Discover every other year, like Janeway said. It is usually online charges. This time was ITunes. I don't use ITunes. Discover always catches it before I do. I suspect this time was a credit card skimmer at an outside (my town) gas pump. I've stopped using the outside credit card slots except in my little town. I suspect I'll have to stop using them here, too, as it is just a matter of time before the thieves come here.

I just cancel the card & get a new one.

Just had this happen this past Monday. First time ever. Woke up to charges in my bank from walmart. There were two attempts for 200 each but walmart reversed them and then a third attempt that went through for 139 and some change. I called my bank and canceled my card, had them look into it. Then I called walmart and gave them my debit card number and they looked it up. She said they had suspected fraud from the looks of it but didn't catch the other charge. It was getting ready to ship and she was able to stop and reverse it. I didn't get to find out who it was but they were in Arkansas so not near me at all.

I was livid. I am still without a debit card as I wait for a new one. I never ship at Walmart so I have no idea how or why this happened.

It was getting ready to ship and she was able to stop and reverse it. 

I once came home from a vacation to see a message that my item from Wal-mart was ready to be picked up (in a different state)...I immediately called Wal-mart and told them not to let the item be picked up, but someone let them pick it up anyway! I was ticked off. It was probably someone from within Wal-mart that was involved in the fraud. Then the thieves had the audacity to charge something else to my account. Grrrr...Discover Card, as usual, worked with us to get new cards, etc.

do file - these are rarely isolated incidents.  your card might have only been used once, but chances are high they are using other people's cards too.  there will be a pattern.

I've had the charges at a store in a location I didn't ever go - and it was caught by the credit card company.  and they call me to verify.   anything odd they will generally verify because they are on the hook if it goes through.  my dd has had times her card was shut down while she was using it - because the pattern was odd.   (it was turned back on after speaking with them that she was the user.)

I've also been called by a real FBI agent because my information was stolen  (I"m positive it was off a credit card application for tjmaxx.) and a card opened in my name.  (he told me to call my bank - and who was in charge of fraud there.  - and I looked it up the name to verify.)   it was stolen by a constantly moving group that does this across the country and they were getting closer to catching up with them.

It sounds as if a charge was made and then reversed by the merchant before you or the credit card company realized anyone else used your card.  If there haven't been any other odd charges to your account, I would be inclined to believe that this was an accident on the part of the merchant rather than someone fraudulently using your card.  Otherwise, why would the merchant reverse the charges?  How would they have known this was a fraudulent charge?

This has happened to us a few times at least.

One was a few thousand dollars worth of groceries and gas in several small towns in Michigan....several states away from me. My credit card (maybe a Visa?) was great about it. I did not have to pay anything back. I called the police to file a report in those towns or at least try to get them to get the video footage of the purchases (the store did have them), but the police could not have cared less. The said it happens so often, they can't keep up. Apparently I would have had to be willing to go to court in person to press charges. So frustrating...no wonder this happens so often. 

The other purchases were my Kohl's charge, shipped to an address in California. No hassles with Kohl's. But I do find it odd that it occurred literally hours after I placed an online order with them, giving my number over the phone to the rep. 

after my experience shortly after applying for a tjmaxx card - I really think there are insiders feeding information to groups that do this. could be a single person - but because they took my information and opened their own other card, it was my information that was stolen  (pretty sure) by someone at tjmaxx.

Just had this happen this past Monday. First time ever. Woke up to charges in my bank from walmart. There were two attempts for 200 each but walmart reversed them and then a third attempt that went through for 139 and some change. I called my bank and canceled my card, had them look into it. Then I called walmart and gave them my debit card number and they looked it up. She said they had suspected fraud from the looks of it but didn't catch the other charge. It was getting ready to ship and she was able to stop and reverse it. I didn't get to find out who it was but they were in Arkansas so not near me at all.

I was livid. I am still without a debit card as I wait for a new one. I never ship at Walmart so I have no idea how or why this happened.

it may or may not have even been someone at wal-mart. I never ever EVER buy anything from victoria's secret - yet one of my first fraud experiences was someone buying stuff there.

they take your number (or your information and open their own card) - and charge where they want to.

and walmart will get to eat those charges. 

It sounds as if a charge was made and then reversed by the merchant before you or the credit card company realized anyone else used your card.  If there haven't been any other odd charges to your account, I would be inclined to believe that this was an accident on the part of the merchant rather than someone fraudulently using your card.  Otherwise, why would the merchant reverse the charges?  How would they have known this was a fraudulent charge?

because computer algorithms for card owner use are divergent.  it will send up flags by the card vendor that something is not right.

the vendor is responsible for fraudulent charges going through - so they do pay attention to them.

because computer algorithms for card owner use are divergent.  it will send up flags by the card vendor that something is not right.

the vendor is responsible for fraudulent charges going through - so they do pay attention to them.

I would understand that this would be the case if it was the credit card company that questioned the charge.  It sounded to me as if merchant XYZ charged the card and then later that same day reversed the charges.

How would they have known this was a fraudulent charge?

Evidently something didn't match up for them and the billing dept. flagged it, I was told. Unfortunately, they really won't tell me anything more. On one level, I can understand why. On the other, it irritates me because if someone is up to no good, I want to know who the person is.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler

We had a charge appear on our cc for a computer that cost $1200. I called the cc and they immediately took it off, closed the account and sent us a new one. I didn't have to do a police report. I know exactly where the card was compromised. I was at a seminar in Orlando and the only time I used the card was in the bar when I didn't have enough cash on me to cover the drinks when my friends left me with the tab. 😡 This was the last time this particular hotel was hosting and I had planned to ONLY use cash because I thought there might be problems. (My boss had problems the previous year.)

My parent's had their cc stolen from a nursing home. The thieves went to 3 local Walmarts, 5-6 times over a 7 day period. They charged about $3600 worth of stuff, including cash back, and a big screen tv with an extended warranty!! Did the police ever follow up on the extended warranty that had names and addresses??? Noooooooooo, they didn't.

I wouldn't bother with a police report.

In April I let a call go to voicemail for a number I didn't recognize. The message said it was the fraud dept for my financial institution. I called my bank first to verify the number. Evidently my card number was off gambling in Vegas. They stopped the charge and cancelled the card. My financial institution has same day debit cards so I just had to go into a local branch and I walked out with my new card.

I've traveled and used my cards before with no issues so I've always wondered how the figure out legitimate travel vs fraud. On the other hand, I can't think of anything I'm less likely to do than gamble in Vegas. I suspect it was a skimmer at a gas pump a few weeks before. I usually pay cash for gas, but didn't that time and there have been problems with skimmers locally. That's also the last time I have paid at the pump since.

Since my card's fraud company didn't ask me to file a report, I didn't bother.

Our bank has caught it several times but not the last time and they really should have.  The charges were in a suburb of Miami and while we have traveled to South Florida before, we have never bought groceries at any Latin grocery and never bought thousands of dollars of groceries in any grocery ever.  Since it was so far from our usual habits, I would have thought it would have been caught.  We got the money put back in our accounts within a day. I have never called the police because I don't know even who to call. We were never in the areas where the cards are used and we don't find out until sometime later, where the cards were compromised.  In this last case, it was a mass hack of a hotel chain we had stayed at.  Another time, it must have been someone at one of the stores or restaurants or hotel we were at in southern AL.  But the card was then used in a Walmart in a different southern AL town we were never at.   Somehow it is always my dh's cards that are compromised, not mine.  I will be checking our accounts because we have been traveling last week and a bit before and that can always mean stolen card numbers.

Our bank has caught it several times but not the last time and they really should have.  The charges were in a suburb of Miami and while we have traveled to South Florida before, we have never bought groceries at any Latin grocery and never bought thousands of dollars of groceries in any grocery ever.  Since it was so far from our usual habits, I would have thought it would have been caught.  We got the money put back in our accounts within a day. I have never called the police because I don't know even who to call. We were never in the areas where the cards are used and we don't find out until sometime later, where the cards were compromised.  In this last case, it was a mass hack of a hotel chain we had stayed at.  Another time, it must have been someone at one of the stores or restaurants or hotel we were at in southern AL.  But the card was then used in a Walmart in a different southern AL town we were never at.   Somehow it is always my dh's cards that are compromised, not mine.  I will be checking our accounts because we have been traveling last week and a bit before and that can always mean stolen card numbers.

Yeah, who to call is a good question. Here we can make reports online. But the text says that's if the crime occurred within the municipality. I assume it would be "yes" since I live here. But I have no idea from what state the online purchase was made. So it is a little confusing. Thanks to everybody who chimed in. It stinks that this kind of this is so common.

We got a call once. Seems we were buying Chinese food in MD, whilst dd was buying Chinese food in MI, whist OTHER dd was buying Chinese food in CO. Yep! We all were ! But I'm glad they called.

We've had cards compromised twice in the last month.

That is funny!